Seriously considering not taking it in a week Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
OneMoreTime

New

Seriously considering not taking it in a week

Post by OneMoreTime » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:01 am

I've failed the Bar twice. First time was all on me, no excuses. I was burnt out after law school and took way too much free time. I got a decent job that doesn't require bar passage and just figured I would pass it in February. I seriously underestimated the difficulty in working a full time job and studying for the bar.I work about 45-50 hours a week and by the time I come home and read an outline, it feels like I'm not taking in any of the material whatsoever. I tried getting up early and reading before work, but that just made me extremely tired at work. I failed the February by 5 points. I decided I'd go for it one more time, but I'm 8 days away now and I just have a complete feeling of impending doom.

I honestly just kind of hate my life right now. I feel like I've been putting so much work and time and money into something that has not paid off one bit. I have read these subjects backwards and forwards and I still get, on a good day, 60-65% of my adaptibar questions. I have VERY limited knowledge of my state specific topics. I'm just banking on being able to put forth good essays on the MBE topic essays.

I feel constant embarrassment around friends, colleagues, and coworkers. I'm the only person I know that has failed it twice and I think there's a decent chance I fail it a third time now. In your honest opinion, what do you all think I should do? What are the advantages/disadvantages of dropping out now?

ams287

New

Re: Seriously considering not taking it in a week

Post by ams287 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:53 am

See the second post on this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3#p9405067

You can do it :)

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:11 am

What are the chances that you'd pass it if you decided not to take it next week?

I know someone who has been taking the bar since Summer 2014. This will be his 4th time taking it. I don't think any less of him because he hasn't passed and I want him to succeed.

What's going to happen when October rolls around, and your friends/colleagues/co-workers are expecting bar results news from you? Is "I decided not to take it" really that much more respectable than "I didn't pass"?

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:05 am

Are you in a state where you have to petition to take the exam after you fail a certain amount of time? That is the only reason not to take it if you do not feel 100%.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:41 am

I would just take it, you're never going to feel like you're 100% ready to go. You need to look at the exam like postponing it is completely off the table, otherwise you'll never give it your full effort.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:53 am

Just take it, it helps the curve for the rest of us.

Just kidding. If you don't take it, you have a 0% chance of passing. At least if you take it you have a shot. You've already paid the money, might as well do it.

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:51 pm

joeyc328 wrote:Are you in a state where you have to petition to take the exam after you fail a certain amount of time? That is the only reason not to take it if you do not feel 100%.
I've never heard of having petition if you fail a certain amount. Any idea which states have that rule? There are also states (including NY) where you have to petition to take the exam if you don't show up for 2 past exams you were registered for, and you have to explain your reasons for previous absences.

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:01 pm

squiggle wrote:
joeyc328 wrote:Are you in a state where you have to petition to take the exam after you fail a certain amount of time? That is the only reason not to take it if you do not feel 100%.
I've never heard of having petition if you fail a certain amount. Any idea which states have that rule? There are also states (including NY) where you have to petition to take the exam if you don't show up for 2 past exams you were registered for, and you have to explain your reasons for previous absences.
Cannot find rules or statue right now, but I believe in some states if you fail multiple times repeatedly and you show you are not taking things seriously they can now allow you take the exam as it is a frivolous exercise. It comes from a character and fitness element.

not guilty

Bronze

Post by not guilty » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:12 pm

if there is an argument about getting money back or needing to leave town, etc etc then don't take it

You have no such argument. Just take it and start earlier next time. Also, you'll learn from sitting through it. Right after you walk out of the building, take notes on what you just saw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bobbypin

Bronze

Post by bobbypin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:18 pm

The bar exam only beats you when you decide to not try again. At this point, you have nothing to lose by taking it next week. You have already paid for it.

0lol

New

Post by 0lol » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:59 pm

to whomever possible, just lie and say u didnt take it

if ur that insecurrr

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:42 pm

OneMoreTime wrote:I've failed the Bar twice. First time was all on me, no excuses. I was burnt out after law school and took way too much free time. I got a decent job that doesn't require bar passage and just figured I would pass it in February. I seriously underestimated the difficulty in working a full time job and studying for the bar.I work about 45-50 hours a week and by the time I come home and read an outline, it feels like I'm not taking in any of the material whatsoever. I tried getting up early and reading before work, but that just made me extremely tired at work. I failed the February by 5 points. I decided I'd go for it one more time, but I'm 8 days away now and I just have a complete feeling of impending doom.

I honestly just kind of hate my life right now. I feel like I've been putting so much work and time and money into something that has not paid off one bit. I have read these subjects backwards and forwards and I still get, on a good day, 60-65% of my adaptibar questions. I have VERY limited knowledge of my state specific topics. I'm just banking on being able to put forth good essays on the MBE topic essays.

I feel constant embarrassment around friends, colleagues, and coworkers. I'm the only person I know that has failed it twice and I think there's a decent chance I fail it a third time now. In your honest opinion, what do you all think I should do? What are the advantages/disadvantages of dropping out now?
Believe me, I've been there. It took me 7 semesters to graduate. I took the February 2014 bar exam in New York. That didn't end well. I took it again in July 2014 at the ominous Javits Center. I was massacred. My MBE was a 118.6 and I totally screwed up on the MPT. At that point, I realized that I simply didn't have what it takes to pass New York. To make matters worse, I was in an internship in a court. Everyone I knew passed. One asshole sarcastically asked me if I passed. And to add salt to the wound, I was fired from the internship.

I was totally ashamed. It got to the point where I had to shutdown my Facebook account because seeing all of the posts about my classmates and their prestigious jobs made me sick. I also cut off all communication with my family. I didn't go to Christmas or Easter dinner. I also quit a softball league that I was a member of.

I tried to cut my losses and take the February 2015 bar exam in New Jersey. Once again, I was defeated. However, I actually put up somewhat of a fight. My MBE was still weak (123.2), but my overall score was 126 (133 is passing in Jersey). Before the July 2015 exam, I vowed to myself that I would give the exam everything I had. It was all or nothing, do or die. If I didn't pass then I'd quit the legal profession.

I studied relentlessly. I outlined nearly 150 New Jersey essays. On July 4th, while everyone was eating hot dogs and watching fireworks, I was in a park studying. During the last two weeks before the exam, I studied 12-14 hours a day. When it was game day, I was more determined than anxious. On November 5th, I received an email from the New Jersey state bar association. I was scared shit. My heart never raced like that before. When I opened the email, it said congratulations on passing the bar. I literally leapt into the air and shouted. Then, I got down on my knees and thanked the Lord.

Don't give up. Keep fighting.

bnghle234

Bronze

Post by bnghle234 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:25 pm

L_William_W wrote:
OneMoreTime wrote:I've failed the Bar twice. First time was all on me, no excuses. I was burnt out after law school and took way too much free time. I got a decent job that doesn't require bar passage and just figured I would pass it in February. I seriously underestimated the difficulty in working a full time job and studying for the bar.I work about 45-50 hours a week and by the time I come home and read an outline, it feels like I'm not taking in any of the material whatsoever. I tried getting up early and reading before work, but that just made me extremely tired at work. I failed the February by 5 points. I decided I'd go for it one more time, but I'm 8 days away now and I just have a complete feeling of impending doom.

Believe me, I've been there. It took me 7 semesters to graduate. I took the February 2014 bar exam in New York. That didn't end well. I took it again in July 2014 at the ominous Javits Center. I was massacred. My MBE was a 118.6 and I totally screwed up on the MPT. At that point, I realized that I simply didn't have what it takes to pass New York. To make matters worse, I was in an internship in a court. Everyone I knew passed. One asshole sarcastically asked me if I passed. And to add salt to the wound, I was fired from the internship.

I was totally ashamed. It got to the point where I had to shutdown my Facebook account because seeing all of the posts about my classmates and their prestigious jobs made me sick. I also cut off all communication with my family. I didn't go to Christmas or Easter dinner. I also quit a softball league that I was a member of.

I tried to cut my losses and take the February 2015 bar exam in New Jersey. Once again, I was defeated. However, I actually put up somewhat of a fight. My MBE was still weak (123.2), but my overall score was 126 (133 is passing in Jersey). Before the July 2015 exam, I vowed to myself that I would give the exam everything I had. It was all or nothing, do or die. If I didn't pass then I'd quit the legal profession.

I studied relentlessly. I outlined nearly 150 New Jersey essays. On July 4th, while everyone was eating hot dogs and watching fireworks, I was in a park studying. During the last two weeks before the exam, I studied 12-14 hours a day. When it was game day, I was more determined than anxious. On November 5th, I received an email from the New Jersey state bar association. I was scared shit. My heart never raced like that before. When I opened the email, it said congratulations on passing the bar. I literally leapt into the air and shouted. Then, I got down on my knees and thanked the Lord.

Don't give up. Keep fighting.
Congrats!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”