MBE Scores & Tips Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
squiggle

Bronze

MBE Scores & Tips

Post by squiggle » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:11 pm

Last July, someone on TLS graciously collected practice and real MBE scores from other posters, and then created this very helpful google doc excel. It's a great tool to help guess what your real MBE score might be based on your practice MBE scores

Here's the google doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Here's the original thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&start=50

Anyone have any MBE tips?

Something I would suggest is trying not to get psyched out or distracted by what others might be doing. Some will got at a faster pace than you, others may have a weird system for put answers into their scantron, your neighbor may go to the bathroom three times... Moral of the story: you do you at the MBE.

If you're generally finishing with time left, consider going back and reviewing some of your answers. I keep a running list on the front inside cover of my booklet of which questions I may want to review at the end. I do this for the difficult questions that I may need more time on, but only if I end up with extra time. I'd recommend only changing your answer if you can work through why another answer is better.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Re: MBE Scores & Tips

Post by whitecollar23 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:16 pm

squiggle wrote:Last July, someone on TLS graciously collected practice and real MBE scores from other posters, and then created this very helpful google doc excel. It's a great tool to help guess what your real MBE score might be based on your practice MBE scores

Here's the google doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Here's the original thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&start=50

Anyone have any MBE tips?

Something I would suggest is trying not to get psyched out or distracted by what others might be doing. Some will got at a faster pace than you, others may have a weird system for put answers into their scantron, your neighbor may go to the bathroom three times... Moral of the story: you do you at the MBE.

If you're generally finishing with time left, consider going back and reviewing some of your answers. I keep a running list on the front inside cover of my booklet of which questions I may want to review at the end. I do this for the difficult questions that I may need more time on, but only if I end up with extra time. I'd recommend only changing your answer if you can work through why another answer is better.
I'd even consider making sure you bubbled the right answers on your scantron. I'd check to make sure you're in the right place periodically and at the end if you have time, to check over parts where you moved quickly to see if you reversed answers bubbles in any spots.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:41 pm

That's a nice spreadsheet, thank you for posting.

My MBE advice is to slow down and read the facts carefully.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:09 pm

I would second not focusing on what others are doing during the exam. There will be multiple versions of the MBE on test day that switch the order of questions and contain different sample questions than other versions. This ultimately affects pace and when people take breaks. Just do what is best for you to succeed.

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:24 pm

Difficult questions can often be grouped together on the MBE. Knowing that, do whatever it takes to persevere through a difficult batch without losing your confidence or totally second guessing your abilities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

omar1

Bronze

Post by omar1 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:29 am

I scored 90 on the Barbri full MBE and ended up with 148 on the real thing. So my first advice would be not to think about your practice scores at all.

Second advice, which is something that worked really well for me personally. When I was doing practice questions, the 100 q. sets, I would get soooo angry/frustrated when I was getting to question 50, thinking that "f*#k, I still have 50 questions of this shit" LOL. So on the real thing, I started on question 50, did 50-65, and then went back to question 1. So by the time I got to question 50, I had 65 questions done, only 35 to go. IDK it just felt really good psychologically haha

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:26 pm

I agree with the poster above that much of the MBE is mental. As an experiment, I did my last practice exam subject by subject. I started by going through and labeling the topic of each question (based on the call of the question and answer choices). It took me about 5 minutes to label 50 questions, but I've never had an issue with time. I also think it saved me time in the long wrong, which I have discussed below.

Then I did the questions from the same topic together (all the con law questions, all the contracts questions, all the torts questions, etc). I was able to get into the mindset of that topic, and I think it made a difference on my score. I also didn't have to spend the first few seconds both figuring out what subject the question was about and/or switching my brain to think about that topic. I think this saved me time overall honestly. Additionally, I didn't have that daunting feeling that the above poster talked about where I would think, "I seriously have 70 questions left."

I would definitely recommend this approach if you're frustrated by jumping around to different topics, but only do it if you're comfortable with timing (because it's harder to tell if your pacing is correct). I would NOT suggest doing this on the real MBE if you haven't tried it first on a practice test, even just a mixed set. Let me know if anyone has questions.

teabreeze

New

Post by teabreeze » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:43 pm

omar1 wrote:I scored 90 on the Barbri full MBE and ended up with 148 on the real thing. So my first advice would be not to think about your practice scores at all.

Second advice, which is something that worked really well for me personally. When I was doing practice questions, the 100 q. sets, I would get soooo angry/frustrated when I was getting to question 50, thinking that "f*#k, I still have 50 questions of this shit" LOL. So on the real thing, I started on question 50, did 50-65, and then went back to question 1. So by the time I got to question 50, I had 65 questions done, only 35 to go. IDK it just felt really good psychologically haha
Oh interesting! This method never crossed my mind, but I think it's a good method for me too. I'm not the type who can sit through 100 questions and be fully motivated from beginning to end. It's not like the questions are in order of difficulty so there's no reason to go chronologically from 1-100.

Thanks!!

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:46 pm

teabreeze wrote:
omar1 wrote:I scored 90 on the Barbri full MBE and ended up with 148 on the real thing. So my first advice would be not to think about your practice scores at all.

Oh interesting! This method never crossed my mind, but I think it's a good method for me too. I'm not the type who can sit through 100 questions and be fully motivated from beginning to end. It's not like the questions are in order of difficulty so there's no reason to go chronologically from 1-100.

Thanks!!
I think they might even put the longer questions at the end to mess with people who are running out of time. So you'd actually may be doing the longer questions first, and I think it's great to get them out of the way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:45 pm

squiggle wrote:
teabreeze wrote:

Thanks!!
I think they might even put the longer questions at the end to mess with people who are running out of time. So you'd actually may be doing the longer questions first, and I think it's great to get them out of the way.
If that's true, I think I'll do it this way, too!

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:05 pm

I don't recommend this strategy unless 1) You're a good writer or 2) You're VERY desperate

I figured that there are some subjects that I'm A LOT better at than others. I'm very confident in torts and crim. I find evidence and con law challenging but doable. I totally suck ass in property, civ pro, and contracts. My strategy was to try to get 75-80% questions in the big 4 correct and guess the rest of the questions. I figured that if I got 60% of the questions overall correct then that roughly be a 130 MBE. That's a mediocre score, but I took the bar in New Jersey where the essays and MBE's are worth 50% each. Furthermore, the essay graders in Jersey are pretty liberal (unlike NY where you lose points for bad grammar). My final MBE was a 130.2. The overall passing score in Jersey is 133, meaning that I scored at least 136 on the essays.

Torts - I simply did a lot of questions. The negligence questions were straightforward. I initially had problems with strict product liability, but once I did a lot of them, I noticed patterns in the correct answers. The only section which was a tad confusing was the intentional torts (trespass to chattel, conversion of chattel). Nevertheless, I'm confident that I got at least 70-75% of the torts questions correct on the actual exam

crim- this is also fairly straightforward, though there are a handful of tricky questions (particularly the self-defense fact patterns since they're sometimes ambiguous). Still, if you're familiar with the warrant exceptions then this is another doable section.

con law- when I took the bar the first three times, I found this section to be difficult. On attempt #4, however, I used the infamous red Kaplan book and did as many problems as possible. I eventually noticed patterns in both the correct answers and the appealing but incorrect answers.

evidence- the rules are very tricky, but if you know them by heart (particularly the hearsay exceptions) then you can get 65% or more of them correct

As for property, contracts, and civ pro, I think I got about 1/3 of the questions correct in these sections. The hardest section was property. There isn't enough time to do all of the questions on the exam so guessing and moving on in these sections actually worked to my advantage since it gave me more time to do the questions in the subjects that I'm better at.

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:28 pm

L_William_W wrote:I don't recommend this strategy unless 1) You're a good writer or 2) You're VERY desperate

I figured that there are some subjects that I'm A LOT better at than others. I'm very confident in torts and crim. I find evidence and con law challenging but doable. I totally suck ass in property, civ pro, and contracts. My strategy was to try to get 75-80% questions in the big 4 correct and guess the rest of the questions. I figured that if I got 60% of the questions overall correct then that roughly be a 130 MBE. That's a mediocre score, but I took the bar in New Jersey where the essays and MBE's are worth 50% each. Furthermore, the essay graders in Jersey are pretty liberal (unlike NY where you lose points for bad grammar). My final MBE was a 130.2. The overall passing score in Jersey is 133, meaning that I scored at least 136 on the essays.

Torts - I simply did a lot of questions. The negligence questions were straightforward. I initially had problems with strict product liability, but once I did a lot of them, I noticed patterns in the correct answers. The only section which was a tad confusing was the intentional torts (trespass to chattel, conversion of chattel). Nevertheless, I'm confident that I got at least 70-75% of the torts questions correct on the actual exam

crim- this is also fairly straightforward, though there are a handful of tricky questions (particularly the self-defense fact patterns since they're sometimes ambiguous). Still, if you're familiar with the warrant exceptions then this is another doable section.

con law- when I took the bar the first three times, I found this section to be difficult. On attempt #4, however, I used the infamous red Kaplan book and did as many problems as possible. I eventually noticed patterns in both the correct answers and the appealing but incorrect answers.

evidence- the rules are very tricky, but if you know them by heart (particularly the hearsay exceptions) then you can get 65% or more of them correct

As for property, contracts, and civ pro, I think I got about 1/3 of the questions correct in these sections. The hardest section was property. There isn't enough time to do all of the questions on the exam so guessing and moving on in these sections actually worked to my advantage since it gave me more time to do the questions in the subjects that I'm better at.
Which strategy are you referring to? A few have been mentioned in this thread. Why don't you agree? How does a person's writing ability related to how he or she approaches the MBE questions? Maybe I'm missing something.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:33 pm

I should've been more clear. My strategy would only be effective in scoring in the upper-120's or low-130's. Assuming you get that score, your essays would have to be solid in order to pass. However, if you scored over 140 on the MBE then you could write shitty essays and still pass.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:35 pm

L_William_W wrote:I should've been more clear. My strategy would only be effective in scoring in the upper-120's or low-130's. Assuming you get that score, your essays would have to be solid in order to pass. However, if you scored over 140 on the MBE then you could write shitty essays and still pass.
Yikes. Definitely don't recommend going this route.

0lol

New

Post by 0lol » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:49 pm

i mean the strong mbe = auto pass thread

is great and all

but really doesnt apply to most states (<41%mbe)

& certaintly doesnt apply to 140s scores

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:49 pm

NY graders are sticklers? Read that above. What? Who? When? Where? Why?

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:21 pm

Remember, 10 of the MBE questions are experimental and won't count towards your score. If you get a totally off the wall question, it may be one of your 10.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:32 pm

squiggle wrote:Remember, 10 of the MBE questions are experimental and won't count towards your score. If you get a totally off the wall question, it may be one of your 10.
Also remember, each question is only 0.25% of your grade. So it's okay to get one or two wrong. Maybe even three.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”