Tutors anyone? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LawDawg2016

New

Tutors anyone?

Post by LawDawg2016 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:22 pm

I will be a second time taker (MBE only) in July. I am taking Barbri and also picked up Adaptibar this time.

I'm beginning to think something is wrong with me. I have about a 63% average on adaptibar questions (about 300 completed so far in only four subjects). I seem to narrow it to two...and then, pick the wrong one. Would a tutor help? Has anyone used a tutor and have any recommendations? I don't want to be a 3rd time taker in Feb. :oops:

mvp99

Silver

Re: Tutors anyone?

Post by mvp99 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:53 pm

LawDawg2016 wrote:I will be a second time taker (MBE only) in July. I am taking Barbri and also picked up Adaptibar this time.

I'm beginning to think something is wrong with me. I have about a 63% average on adaptibar questions (about 300 completed so far in only four subjects). I seem to narrow it to two...and then, pick the wrong one. Would a tutor help? Has anyone used a tutor and have any recommendations? I don't want to be a 3rd time taker in Feb. :oops:
Doesn't 63% translate into a passing score?
Last edited by mvp99 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllDangle

Bronze

Post by AllDangle » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Doesn't BarBri's MBE Immersion video say that our goal is 60% on MBE?

LawDawg2016

New

Post by LawDawg2016 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:13 pm

mvp99 wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:I will be a second time taker (MBE only) in July. I am taking Barbri and also picked up Adaptibar this time.

Doesn't 63% translate into a score?

Adaptibar tells you how many you have gotten correct of those you have attempted. So, my score so far is 63% -- in the four subjects I have studied and attempted. As far as a passing score on the MBE...I need a 136 in Florida...which is the equivalent of about a 68% or 70% -- depending on the scale that particular time.

LawDawg2016

New

Post by LawDawg2016 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:18 pm

AllDangle wrote:Doesn't BarBri's MBE Immersion video say that our goal is 60% on MBE?
I took Barbri the first time...in Feb. I don't really trust their methods of prediction very well. I did pass Florida portion, so there is that. However, I want to get my scores a little higher than necessary so that I don't go through this again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:22 pm

There are some good bar prep tutors. But since you already know about TLS, I might as well just tell you that there is a ton of good advice here on the forum for free.

LawDawg2016

New

Post by LawDawg2016 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:54 pm

JazzOne wrote:There are some good bar prep tutors. But since you already know about TLS, I might as well just tell you that there is a ton of good advice here on the forum for free.
I think I need to speak to someone who can walk me through the questions. I am at about 50% in torts. I literally get one correct, then one wrong...It is pretty frustrating.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:03 pm

LawDawg2016 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:There are some good bar prep tutors. But since you already know about TLS, I might as well just tell you that there is a ton of good advice here on the forum for free.
I think I need to speak to someone who can walk me through the questions. I am at about 50% in torts. I literally get one correct, then one wrong...It is pretty frustrating.
The MBE is pretty tricky. I don't think that 50% is bad in the early days of studying. In fact, I think that missing practice questions is one of the best ways to figure out your weaknesses and review the black letter law. Every time you miss a question and review the explanation, you are reinforcing the rules, and you're learning how to read and interpret the MBE language.

Here are a couple tips. I prefer to read the question before the fact pattern. I also skim the answers so I know what to look for in the fact pattern. Second, if you are not sure about an answer, pull out your outline and look up the rule before selecting your final answer. That gives you an opportunity to catch an error before reading the explanation.

LawDawg2016

New

Post by LawDawg2016 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:06 pm

JazzOne wrote:
LawDawg2016 wrote:
The MBE is pretty tricky. I don't think that 50% is bad in the early days of studying. In fact, I think that missing practice questions is one of the best ways to figure out your weaknesses and review the black letter law. Every time you miss a question and review the explanation, you are reinforcing the rules, and you're learning how to read and interpret the MBE language.

Here are a couple tips. I prefer to read the question before the fact pattern. I also skim the answers so I know what to look for in the fact pattern. Second, if you are not sure about an answer, pull out your outline and look up the rule before selecting your final answer. That gives you an opportunity to catch an error before reading the explanation.
Thank you. I think part of my problem is that it doesn't feel like it is early. I know it is, esp. since I only have seven subjects to study. But, I think because it is my second time, I feel like I should know more than I do. Okay. I'm going to breath. Thanks again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pebblsrock

New

Post by pebblsrock » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:48 am

I'm still curious about tutors -- can anyone recommend a tutor in NYC area? Pretty much to go over/talk through weak spots. I understand it is too late to sign up for some tutors and tutoring companies.

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:11 pm

I do MBE bar tutoring, and my MBE package can be customized: http://barexambeast.com/product/mbe-tutoring-package/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”