Which NY Bar Dept. Out of State Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
leadsnowhere

New

Which NY Bar Dept. Out of State

Post by leadsnowhere » Sat May 21, 2016 7:47 pm

I am wondering which NY Bar department I would be under if I am applying to the Bar in NY and am neither living nor working there. Would my application be for the department under which I take the bar exam and am certified as passing to or what? Thanks. :)

Platinum

Re: Which NY Bar Dept. Out of State

Post by 2014 » Sat May 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Almost certainly Albany, I forget what number that is.

If you move to NY in the fall you can switch to the first department before you apply so that you don't have to travel.

leadsnowhere

New

Post by leadsnowhere » Sat May 21, 2016 8:08 pm

2014 wrote:Almost certainly Albany, I forget what number that is.

If you move to NY in the fall you can switch to the first department before you apply so that you don't have to travel.

Oh, ok, thank you. So then it will be the department that I test under?

The information says 1) that out of staters likely will test in Albany; 2) that your application goes to the department where you live; and 3) you will be certified as passing (if you pass) to the department you sat for the test at. But nothing ever specifically says that as an out of stater that the department under which you sit for the test is the one you will apply to the bar to.

Even though it never specifically says that, it seems like that it would be the logical conclusion that you apply to the department you test under--that is Albany as an out of stater.

NM7

New

Post by NM7 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:01 pm

leadsnowhere wrote:I am wondering which NY Bar department I would be under if I am applying to the Bar in NY and am neither living nor working there. Would my application be for the department under which I take the bar exam and am certified as passing to or what? Thanks. :)

That would be the third department, which serves all out of staters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”