NY July 2016 Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
whitecollar23

Bronze

Re: NY July 2016 Thread

Post by whitecollar23 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:29 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
whitecollar23 wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:Had no idea that's what employers were thinking. Good looking out.
It's the buzz I've heard from a few places. Not positive it's accurate, but it makes sense.
Totally missed the sarcasm...
I guess so. Hope you'll forgive me.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:12 am

This thread is excellent evidence as to why people hate lawyers.

doctoroflaw91

Bronze

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:15 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
BarTaker wrote:After a stressfully week, I have accepted this morning I failed the NY Bar...

Any advice to improve the MBE? It's recommended to retake it next February or wait until next summer? As I need just one bar for fed law, any advice about remaining in NY or move to another state? Thanks.
For MBE I used Barbri to understand BLL + AdaptiBar questions. I thought this was a pretty winning combination.

I've also heard really good things about the Emmanuel book.

There will be a temptation to get every resource and buy everything as you study for the next bar exam. But I truly think the best approach is to find a few resources and focus in on those. So, were I you, I would get AdaptiBar + Emmanuel and only use those to study for the MBE.
I agree with this. I used precisely the same combination, and felt much better about my MBE than I did when I was using only Barbri's MBE questions.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:03 pm

If there is anyone still active on this thread.. For out-of-staters or anyone that was not a guaranteed NYC spot. How many people were able to choose either NYC or WP once you received the email? And how long after you received the email did you select your spot? Just curious for the 2017 test.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Thu May 11, 2017 2:30 pm

lolabear727 wrote:If there is anyone still active on this thread.. For out-of-staters or anyone that was not a guaranteed NYC spot. How many people were able to choose either NYC or WP once you received the email? And how long after you received the email did you select your spot? Just curious for the 2017 test.
It's my understanding that out-of-state applicants are limited to Buffalo and Albany.

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamSites/ExamSites.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:56 pm

MrT wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:If there is anyone still active on this thread.. For out-of-staters or anyone that was not a guaranteed NYC spot. How many people were able to choose either NYC or WP once you received the email? And how long after you received the email did you select your spot? Just curious for the 2017 test.
It's my understanding that out-of-state applicants are limited to Buffalo and Albany.

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamSites/ExamSites.htm
Generally yes, unless there happen to be seats open after the local people choose/confirm their location. If there are any left, out of staters can pick city locations if there are any left once the email comes out.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Thu May 11, 2017 3:54 pm

I signed up right when the email came out and Javitz was still available.

However, if you have the choice and firm is paying for it, don't take it in NYC it's a nightmare

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Thu May 11, 2017 4:13 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:I signed up right when the email came out and Javitz was still available.

However, if you have the choice and firm is paying for it, don't take it in NYC it's a nightmare
Thank you, that's interesting. I was currently wondering whether, even though I'm a NYC resident, it would be better to sit the exam in Albany / Buffalo as opposed to NYC. Pros and cons for both NYC or out of town I suspect. The out of NYC experience definitely seems less stressful....

Not sure if anyone else other similar thoughts.

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Blackhawks_Fan wrote:
Mlk&Ckies wrote:I signed up right when the email came out and Javitz was still available.

Thank you, that's interesting. I was currently wondering whether, even though I'm a NYC resident, it would be better to sit the exam in Albany / Buffalo as opposed to NYC. Pros and cons for both NYC or out of town I suspect. The out of NYC experience definitely seems less stressful....

It all depends on your personality. NYC is not the nightmare people make it out to be. There's a ton of people and you're in a huge room. But it's run very well and there isn't an unusual amount of noise from other test-takers. In July 2016, there was a period of time where there was outside noise from stuff being moved around. That was annoying. But the myth that it's impossible to focus and you're surrounded by overly stressed out people is just a myth. People are chill and, at least toward me, the proctors were chill. I'm sure YMMV.

I can't comment on Albany and Buffalo, but I'm sure they have their pros and cons, many of which you could intuit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nyclawgrad16

New

Post by nyclawgrad16 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:39 pm

Blackhawks_Fan wrote:

I had the same thought last July when I took the bar.

I took the BARBRI mock bar exam at Javitz and decided that it wasn't for me. We were in a very large room and it was definitely noisier.

I opted to take the exam in Buffalo (and passed!) and have no regrets. I spent three nights in Buffalo. I felt that I had more space to work, the room was smaller/had less people and I even think the lighting was better.

Good luck!

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Thu May 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Thank you both, appreciated.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:42 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:
Blackhawks_Fan wrote:

It all depends on your personality. NYC is not the nightmare people make it out to be. There's a ton of people and you're in a huge room. But it's run very well and there isn't an unusual amount of noise from other test-takers. In July 2016, there was a period of time where there was outside noise from stuff being moved around. That was annoying. But the myth that it's impossible to focus and you're surrounded by overly stressed out people is just a myth. People are chill and, at least toward me, the proctors were chill. I'm sure YMMV.

I can't comment on Albany and Buffalo, but I'm sure they have their pros and cons, many of which you could intuit.
I agree with it being like a well oiled machine, but I had an awful experience with a proctor who yelled at me because I didn't automatically know where my seat was and who refused to point me where my seat was. It rattled me and I'm from Brooklyn.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Thank you! As a repeater from Buffalo. That location was wonderful. Way better than Florida. The room size was the same but I felt like I had more space and the proctors were very friendly. The women's restrooms got a bit backed up so we started going in the guys restroom (which i'm sure made some men feel uncomfortable but no one cared). I'm hoping to get a WP or NYC location this go round to avoid paying for hotel reservations again as my bf lives in the city and can just drive me to the location each day.

Whelp! Looks like I'm looking at another week of refreshing my email in early June!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu May 11, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm in NJ and I went on right when I got the email. Despite what everyone said, Javitz was available. I did White Plains though, it was very chill. I was in a room with like 25 people, decent amount of room. No crazy rush. Shuttle from my hotel.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Thank you! When you say "just came out" like within 5 mins? 2 mins? Within 3 mins of the february email WP only had handwriting and nothing else was available. I'm hoping July has a few more spots available.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Easy-E wrote:I'm in NJ and I went on right when I got the email. Despite what everyone said, Javitz was available. I did White Plains though, it was very chill. I was in a room with like 25 people, decent amount of room. No crazy rush. Shuttle from my hotel.
This is what i'm hoping for! I'm just hoping there isn't the handwriting only left.

MinnieMouse

New

Post by MinnieMouse » Thu May 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Last Summer, I signed up instantly when I got the email and for me (out of state) Javitz was only available for handwriting. I ended up in Albany and can't complain. Super organized, very polite proctors, no external noise whatsoever, bathrooms inside our room (around 200-300 people) which were more than enough. We didn't have any problems with lines in the bathroom at any time. First time taking it, passed it and done with it. Only went back to Albany for my swear-in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:11 am

MinnieMouse wrote:Last Summer, I signed up instantly when I got the email and for me (out of state) Javitz was only available for handwriting. I ended up in Albany and can't complain. Super organized, very polite proctors, no external noise whatsoever, bathrooms inside our room (around 200-300 people) which were more than enough. We didn't have any problems with lines in the bathroom at any time. First time taking it, passed it and done with it. Only went back to Albany for my swear-in.
Thank you for the tip!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”