Bar study loans Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
meika02

New

Bar study loans

Post by meika02 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:39 pm

Are there any other options for bar study loans?? I have been turned down by the lenders approved for my school (Discover, PNC, Sallie Mae and Wells Fargo). What should I do?

Bartaker7277

New

Re: Bar study loans

Post by Bartaker7277 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:02 pm

I got one from Sallie Mae by having a co-signer. Did you try having a co-signer?

AspiringCALawyer

New

Re: Bar study loans

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:07 pm

meika02 wrote:Are there any other options for bar study loans?? I have been turned down by the lenders approved for my school (Discover, PNC, Sallie Mae and Wells Fargo). What should I do?
You don't say why you were turned down. I was turned down back in 1998 due to a bankruptcy still on my record from 1989. Since I had financed a car with Key Bank (formerly Society), I wrote a letter to the CEO pleading my case about my positive track record with paying off the car over 5 years. I also stressed that the bar loan would be my only way to be able to take the bar and eventually get a job in my field. It was persuasive enough for me to get the $5K loan. I have since paid that loan off too.

If you can't find another bank, I would appeal to family/friends (if that is an option); however, I would treat it like a loan (including a signed contract) and not a disguised gift (i.e., actually pay it back). Are credit cards an option? Selling something?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”