New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Lawbrowsor25

New

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Post by Lawbrowsor25 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Passed!

For future test takers: I signed up to take both the MPRE and the NYLE with 2 days in between. So, because I wanted to focus on the MPRE, I printed the outline 2 days before and skimmed it to have a general idea of where everything would be and its content.

I know people who did not study at all and passed, but I still wanted to be safe.

It was wayyyy more difficult than past posts have stated, but I still would not do anymore than skim the entire outline.

Intlawyer

New

Post by Intlawyer » Fri May 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm going through the NYLC videos - having most of them on mute while doing other stuff - and I got the impression that many questions can't be answered if you only rely on the provided materials, i.e. the answers are included only in the videos, and not also written in the materials.

Is it just a way to frighten the applicants, or the same thing happens on the actual exam, meaning that we really have to listen to the videos and take good notes??

Thanks in advance!

irishguy

New

Post by irishguy » Sat May 12, 2018 3:24 am

Intlawyer wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm going through the NYLC videos - having most of them on mute while doing other stuff - and I got the impression that many questions can't be answered if you only rely on the provided materials, i.e. the answers are included only in the videos, and not also written in the materials.

Is it just a way to frighten the applicants, or the same thing happens on the actual exam, meaning that we really have to listen to the videos and take good notes??

Thanks in advance!
This is a great question. I felt the same whilst watching the videos. Signed up to take next month's NYLE and I'm wondering the same thing.

GWLaw2016

New

Post by GWLaw2016 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:36 pm

So, I thought I was all set to take the June 14 NYLE, and then I just got a notice of charges from the NYLC accusing me of using 3rd party software to fast forward the videos. I absolutely did NOT do any such thing. However, on one particular day (May 7), the videos kept freezing on me like crazy. I had to press “refresh” literally dozens of times. In a few instances, when I clicked refresh, instead of reloading the video, the question for that section would just pop up. From what I noticed, this seemed to happen when the video was almost done, so I didn’t really think anything of it. I answered the question and moved on. Now I’m being ordered to prepare a written, sworn response and either request or decline a hearing.

Has anyone here had any similar issue crop up? It seems to me that this was some glitch on their end - I was able to watch videos on other websites during the period when theirs were freezing up, so my connection wasn’t the problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sat May 26, 2018 11:12 am

GWLaw2016 wrote:So, I thought I was all set to take the June 14 NYLE, and then I just got a notice of charges from the NYLC accusing me of using 3rd party software to fast forward the videos. I absolutely did NOT do any such thing. However, on one particular day (May 7), the videos kept freezing on me like crazy. I had to press “refresh” literally dozens of times. In a few instances, when I clicked refresh, instead of reloading the video, the question for that section would just pop up. From what I noticed, this seemed to happen when the video was almost done, so I didn’t really think anything of it. I answered the question and moved on. Now I’m being ordered to prepare a written, sworn response and either request or decline a hearing.

Has anyone here had any similar issue crop up? It seems to me that this was some glitch on their end - I was able to watch videos on other websites during the period when theirs were freezing up, so my connection wasn’t the problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
My advice on this and any other situations (I will likely make a second post) is to be just forthcoming and explain to them what happened and you were not making any attempts to bypass the rules, videos, etc., and mention what happened on May 7th in detail but that you did not think that internet or software issues would cause problems for audit purposes or you would have contacted them immediately. In your particular instance, I would try to call someone before responding in writing re: having a hearing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sat May 26, 2018 11:34 am

Intlawyer wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Okay so this is for everyone but Intlawyer's post was an excellent one to respond to for purposes of the NYLC/NYLE. Here are my tips. I may make a post about this on my site (blockbusterblawg.com) because this is a frequent topic/issue.

First, I strongly encourage everyone to watch and listen to the videos. The notes may seem unhelpful, but if you do listen to and watch the videos and take notes in the margins, that will be beneficial and yes many of the questions you need to move on through the course are in the videos - we may not like it, but it makes sense when you consider their auditing policy; they want to ensure people are getting their respective dose of New York law, especially if you are coming from another jurisdiction.

Second and arguably most importantly, do not fast forward or skip or manipulate the videos! The rules clearly state your time will be audited, and in February there were multiple people who posted on here that were panicking because they were caught and e-mailed that they could not take the NYLE that session and I think the people were told the matter would or could be referred to character and fitness or effect whether they will remain a qualified examinee in New York/could take the next one or not.

Third, if you do have any issues with the videos or course due to their rules, or if you do risk fast forwarding or skipping, call them immediately
because we all presumably took Professional Responsibility or know generally what is and is not acceptable for the profession, and I distinctly remember one girl did just that and while I do not believe she was allowed to take that sitting of the NYLE, she was not forced into a hearing or character and fitness issues and was allowed to do it again - remember, candor and honesty, everyone. They like that. But the best policy is to just watch the videos and take notes and play by the rules rather than seeking shortcuts.

Finally, I don't know if this is of any help but when I took and passed the NYLC/NYLE, I watched and listened to the videos, I put their pdf/material into a binder, and I took notes in the margins, particularly if the material was inadequate on an issue but there was either 1) a question on it or 2) it seemed important. From there, I bought two packs of tabs (one big, one small) and I tabbed the binder using the big tabs to write which/where the topic was, and small tabs that I used to break the area into subtopics that I wrote on the tabs or I would star and write a "Q" if there was a question or it was emphasized/seemed important from the NYLC. I hope this helps! As stated in my previous post, I will likely do a post on my own website about this, but in a nutshell, the above points are (in my opinion) the most important.

Also, I will be posting an updated review of studicata's july 2018 program (hopefully) by Tuesday, and discount codes for critical pass and studicata can be found on my website (www.blockbusterblawg.com). I am also taking one more request - I generally take them in 3's so I do not keep people waiting a long time - and I got a request for a civ pro flowchart and a civ pro/conflicts condensed outline (the latter I already have a framework for but need to ensure it is up to date and then add the conflict of laws portion), so if anyone has a 3rd request let me know either here or via my website/facebook/twitter because I do not get PM's here and tend to check for notifications once a day but the time varies.

Intlawyer

New

Post by Intlawyer » Thu May 31, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Just to make sure that I got it correctly: answers to some questions on the actual exam are found only in the videos, and not in the materials provided on the website? I.e. we have to make notes and actually pay attention to the videos?

Thanks!

"Okay so this is for everyone but Intlawyer's post was an excellent one to respond to for purposes of the NYLC/NYLE. Here are my tips. I may make a post about this on my site (blockbusterblawg.com) because this is a frequent topic/issue.

First, I strongly encourage everyone to watch and listen to the videos. The notes may seem unhelpful, but if you do listen to and watch the videos and take notes in the margins, that will be beneficial and yes many of the questions you need to move on through the course are in the videos - we may not like it, but it makes sense when you consider their auditing policy; they want to ensure people are getting their respective dose of New York law, especially if you are coming from another jurisdiction.

Finally, I don't know if this is of any help but when I took and passed the NYLC/NYLE, I watched and listened to the videos, I put their pdf/material into a binder, and I took notes in the margins, particularly if the material was inadequate on an issue but there was either 1) a question on it or 2) it seemed important. From there, I bought two packs of tabs (one big, one small) and I tabbed the binder using the big tabs to write which/where the topic was, and small tabs that I used to break the area into subtopics that I wrote on the tabs or I would star and write a "Q" if there was a question or it was emphasized/seemed important from the NYLC. I hope this helps! As stated in my previous post, I will likely do a post on my own website about this, but in a nutshell, the above points are (in my opinion) the most important. "

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Thu May 31, 2018 3:56 pm

I cannot say that definitively, as questions change and I only took it the one time, but there was one question that I recall was addressed in the videos but either not explained well or was absent from the materials absent me noting it. For perspective, that was 1 in 50 questions. However, if you think about it, the purpose behind the NYLC/NYLE and the policies about auditing video watch time, etc., it makes sense that the information in the videos and/or questions are fair game for the exam. I think the rest of the most important information for the test day/NYLE itself is here: http://www.nybarexam.org/UBE/UBE.html
The 4 main points are in paragraph format on the website but I broke them into 4 points:

No backward navigation will be allowed, so once an applicant has navigated to the next question, the applicant may not return to the prior question.

Electronically searching the Course Materials while taking the NYLE by using a searchable version of the Course Materials is a violation of Board Rule 6000.13 and may result in penalties including nullification of your registration for the NYLE, nullification of your NYLE score, a period of suspension from repeating the NYLE, and disclosure of your misconduct to the Appellate Division in New York having jurisdiction over your application for admission and to other jurisdictions.

At the conclusion of two hours, the exam file will close and the applicant will be prompted to upload the exam file to Examsoft. All exam files must be uploaded to Examsoft by 2:30 PM ET on the date of the exam, unless an applicant has been granted extended time by reason of a disability, in which case the applicant should refer to their Test Accommodations Determination Letter. Every applicant will also be required to certify that he or she completed the NYLE without assistance from anyone else and that he or she did not provide assistance to any other applicant.

If an applicant fails to timely upload the answer file, the applicant will receive the score of zero (0) on the NYLE and will thereafter need to re-take the NYLC and a future administration of the NYLE.

^
Intlawyer wrote:Thanks for the advice!

Just to make sure that I got it correctly: answers to some questions on the actual exam are found only in the videos, and not in the materials provided on the website? I.e. we have to make notes and actually pay attention to the videos?

Thanks!

"Okay so this is for everyone but Intlawyer's post was an excellent one to respond to for purposes of the NYLC/NYLE. Here are my tips. I may make a post about this on my site (blockbusterblawg.com) because this is a frequent topic/issue.

Finally, I don't know if this is of any help but when I took and passed the NYLC/NYLE, I watched and listened to the videos, I put their pdf/material into a binder, and I took notes in the margins, particularly if the material was inadequate on an issue but there was either 1) a question on it or 2) it seemed important. From there, I bought two packs of tabs (one big, one small) and I tabbed the binder using the big tabs to write which/where the topic was, and small tabs that I used to break the area into subtopics that I wrote on the tabs or I would star and write a "Q" if there was a question or it was emphasized/seemed important from the NYLC. I hope this helps! As stated in my previous post, I will likely do a post on my own website about this, but in a nutshell, the above points are (in my opinion) the most important. "

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:55 am

Hi all, so just to clarify, because I want to do the minimum amount of studying for June's NYLC. Can you pass with only the "Course Materials" PDF and not the lectures? I know it's advisable to listen to the lectures for those additional missing gems and insights, etc etc etc. But really, is a there a passing amount of info contained in the PDF? If I highlight and study the PDF, and then use the CTRl+F function on exam day, should I technically be ok? Or are the lectures a must? I watched them last year and completely forget what was said. Really don't wanna watch again. I started watching the Administrative guy (he's so bad) a couple days ago and just literally can't with him. So yeah, any straight up advice on this would be helpful!

Tks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:30 am

Neilt001 wrote:Hi all, so just to clarify, because I want to do the minimum amount of studying for June's NYLC. Can you pass with only the "Course Materials" PDF and not the lectures? I know it's advisable to listen to the lectures for those additional missing gems and insights, etc etc etc. But really, is a there a passing amount of info contained in the PDF? If I highlight and study the PDF, and then use the CTRl+F function on exam day, should I technically be ok? Or are the lectures a must? I watched them last year and completely forget what was said. Really don't wanna watch again. I started watching the Administrative guy (he's so bad) a couple days ago and just literally can't with him. So yeah, any straight up advice on this would be helpful!

Tks
So uh, I guess you missed the post prior to yours where I posted this:
Electronically searching the Course Materials while taking the NYLE by using a searchable version of the Course Materials is a violation of Board Rule 6000.13 and may result in penalties including nullification of your registration for the NYLE, nullification of your NYLE score, a period of suspension from repeating the NYLE, and disclosure of your misconduct to the Appellate Division in New York having jurisdiction over your application for admission and to other jurisdictions.

I also was under the impression that they made the materials NON f-searchable, but I would suggest not doing that/trying that. You will be using software, who knows what is tracked. The audit the NYLC videos, why not the actual exam? I don't mean any disrespect towards you Neil - you often give good advice and opinions, but I have to say it disheartens me to see how many people are trying to get licensed in new york but are trying to avoid learning or independently passing per the rules. It's a minimum competency standard - those videos and notes don't even begin to encompass New York Law, but the Bar Exam is a standard of minimum competency. That, however, is distinctly different from a standard of incompetency which is effectively what will be had if people are not following the rules and cutting corners so as to not even learn minimal state law.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:26 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:
So uh, I guess you missed the post prior to yours where I posted this:

I also was under the impression that they made the materials NON f-searchable, but I would suggest not doing that/trying that. You will be using software, who knows what is tracked. The audit the NYLC videos, why not the actual exam? I don't mean any disrespect towards you Neil - you often give good advice and opinions, but I have to say it disheartens me to see how many people are trying to get licensed in new york but are trying to avoid learning or independently passing per the rules. It's a minimum competency standard - those videos and notes don't even begin to encompass New York Law, but the Bar Exam is a standard of minimum competency. That, however, is distinctly different from a standard of incompetency which is effectively what will be had if people are not following the rules and cutting corners so as to not even learn minimal state law.
Well my question pertained mainly to whether one can pass the NYLE based solely on the written course materials, or whether the lectures (which I've watched, but not recently) are necessary to pass. I certainly am studying, highlighting, tabbing, marking up the hard copy course materials so there really has been no deficiency or lack of competency as far as my learning is concerned.

As for the CTRL+F point which you picked up on, many people seem to do that, and it seems really to just cut down on time spent flipping through pages more than anything else. But you're right, it's not permitted. I think if one is familiar with the materials they'll be fine and won't need to resort to such things.

ToastMalone

New

Post by ToastMalone » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:05 am

I was also curious as to how people were going to be preparing for the June NYLE, particularly in light of the fact it seems like they tried to jack up the difficulty for the March administration. Is anybody else hoping to get by with just skimming/ reading through the materials once or twice?

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:01 pm

ToastMalone wrote:I was also curious as to how people were going to be preparing for the June NYLE, particularly in light of the fact it seems like they tried to jack up the difficulty for the March administration. Is anybody else hoping to get by with just skimming/ reading through the materials once or twice?
i'm planning to skim the outline the night before and just have to hope that's enough. i'm too busy with bar prep stuff to think about trying to really study for the nyle beyond 2 hours reading the outline... lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:53 am

foxes wrote:
ToastMalone wrote:I was also curious as to how people were going to be preparing for the June NYLE, particularly in light of the fact it seems like they tried to jack up the difficulty for the March administration. Is anybody else hoping to get by with just skimming/ reading through the materials once or twice?
i'm planning to skim the outline the night before and just have to hope that's enough. i'm too busy with bar prep stuff to think about trying to really study for the nyle beyond 2 hours reading the outline... lol
Agreed. I'm hoping to just skim/highlight/tab the outline and hope that's enough. I've been reading it but it's not really sinking in (so boring!) and I don't feel like doing much more work than that, since it's open book and all.

I hadn't heard they increased the difficulty level??

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Does anyone know what the NYLE questions will be like? Is it hypothetical format? Are they hard? Are there any sample questions available anywhere? Just going through this material. It doesn't seem easy and I have no idea how they plan to test it!

Tks!

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Neilt001 wrote:Does anyone know what the NYLE questions will be like? Is it hypothetical format? Are they hard? Are there any sample questions available anywhere? Just going through this material. It doesn't seem easy and I have no idea how they plan to test it!

Tks!
Actually it seems the questions are direct questions as opposed to hypos, which I guess is nice! It really will just be a matter of finding the answer in the course materials.

Here're some sample questions: https://www.nybarexam.org/Content/NYLES ... stions.pdf

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:52 am

Neilt001 wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:Does anyone know what the NYLE questions will be like? Is it hypothetical format? Are they hard? Are there any sample questions available anywhere? Just going through this material. It doesn't seem easy and I have no idea how they plan to test it!

Tks!
Actually it seems the questions are direct questions as opposed to hypos, which I guess is nice! It really will just be a matter of finding the answer in the course materials.

Here're some sample questions: https://www.nybarexam.org/Content/NYLES ... stions.pdf
yeah we can only hope they didnt make the test substantially more difficult since those q's were released :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:47 pm

foxes wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:

Tks!

yeah we can only hope they didnt make the test substantially more difficult since those q's were released :(
Hmm. I have already taken and passed this part. I do not know if the June administration will be more difficult but I doubt it/they cant really collect and provide data and a standard of competency (even though it's a minimal competency) if they keep changing stuff, and it's a new exam. I think the only difference is that in the first year or two of the NYLE people did control+F on answers, but I did not do that/the pdf isn't capable of searching now and it's actually expressly forbidden too, but that's the only thing "new" I have really heard about it. I went to a NY law school, so I found it to be a bit of a refresher (the NYLC video part and material) but I wasn't nervous and they get your results back to you quick....I think I heard in less than 2 weeks.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Ok thanks! (Though I believe the PDF (April 2017 revision) remains searchable, not that I'll need that given I've tabbed up the hard copy pretty well).

Tell me, was 2hrs just enough time, too much or not enough? is it a rush? Do you need to know the material well or is there time to look up each answer? Are candidates expected to know answers quickly off by heart, or does it assume you'll need to look everything up? I mean, even if I know an answer I'll still want to confirm it if there's time.

Thanks guys!

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Neilt001 wrote:
foxes wrote:
Agreed. I'm hoping to just skim/highlight/tab the outline and hope that's enough. I've been reading it but it's not really sinking in (so boring!) and I don't feel like doing much more work than that, since it's open book and all.

Did you take New York Practice or Admin Law? I believe those are both still part of the materials and good god, boring? Those classes bordered on painful.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:40 am

ubebarstudying wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
foxes wrote:

Did you take New York Practice or Admin Law? I believe those are both still part of the materials and good god, boring? Those classes bordered on painful.
Good god, painful? Those classes bordered on eye-gouging-out excruciating!

But yeah those are still in the course. Slowly getting through all the material with test only days away. Can't wait to be done this thing!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:51 am

Neilt001 wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
foxes wrote:

But yeah those are still in the course. Slowly getting through all the material with test only days away. Can't wait to be done this thing!
Excruciating?! Administrative law and article 78 special proceedings and FOIL and SAPA are sexy and just...enchanting.

Yes, that WAS a blatant lie. I have notes from my admin law class that I think made the admin law questions easier on me, but I abbreviated a lot. I call it my "super mini" outline. I took admin law just to get it over with because I knew it would be useful or at least come up in the future if I stayed in New York and I was right - my last job included a significant amount of administrative law.

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:43 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
foxes wrote:

Excruciating?! Administrative law and article 78 special proceedings and FOIL and SAPA are sexy and just...enchanting.

Yes, that WAS a blatant lie. I have notes from my admin law class that I think made the admin law questions easier on me, but I abbreviated a lot. I call it my "super mini" outline. I took admin law just to get it over with because I knew it would be useful or at least come up in the future if I stayed in New York and I was right - my last job included a significant amount of administrative law.
Ouch! Yeah admin law is boring and technical and tedious. it was a compulsory subject for us, though I did quite well in it surprisingly.

So have you done the NYLE? Did you need the full 2hrs? Was it hard? Was there time to flip through your notes?

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 am

Neilt001 wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
ubebarstudying wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
foxes wrote:

Ouch! Yeah admin law is boring and technical and tedious. it was a compulsory subject for us, though I did quite well in it surprisingly.

So have you done the NYLE? Did you need the full 2hrs? Was it hard? Was there time to flip through your notes?
Yes I took and passed it and I believe I had 35 or so minutes to spare, which is not very helpful since you can't go back but yes I had sufficient time and I felt the questions were fair. For the questions I was unsure on I had time to go through my notes. Are you from out of state or attend an out of state law school?

Neilt001

Post by Neilt001 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:03 pm

ubebarstudying wrote:
Neilt001 wrote:
Yes I took and passed it and I believe I had 35 or so minutes to spare, which is not very helpful since you can't go back but yes I had sufficient time and I felt the questions were fair. For the questions I was unsure on I had time to go through my notes. Are you from out of state or attend an out of state law school?
Oh thanks! That's helpful. Whilst I have marked up my notes pretty well, I'll certainly need time to refer to them, flip through them, find stuff, etc. So it's good to know it's not a mad rush.

Yes I'm from out of state. And country! Qualified in Australia and Bermuda (where I'm currently practicing).

Less than 24hrs till exam time!! :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”