New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
studying4bar

New

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Post by studying4bar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 pm

m27 wrote:
WheatThins wrote:
yungthug92 wrote:URGENT QUESTION: If we use a video fast forwarder, will we still pass the electronic audit of time spent watching the course materials? NEED to know...
I sped of my videos, was audited, and had to do the whole thing over again.
I sped up two of the videos and the time difference between two videos is about 10 minutes. Will this pass the audit? Should I call up the Board and address this problem? Is it plausible that I could have watched most of two videos one day, and then completed them within 10 minutes of each other the next day, resulting in that time stamp? Please advise.
Honestly, not sure. There is no bright line to my knowledge about the cut-off, but they do want you to know or learn SOME NY law and since it is New York, they may be strict. I know this is not helpful but I am responding because it seems urgent and I was involved with the transition of bar exams as a student rep so I was present at more than 1 of the forums they held when they were taking comments and in discussing that part of the exam they (at the time) felt it was short enough and that attorney's would need to know SOME NY law to start, so while I do not know what the leeway is given that technology can fail us sometimes, but I have heard they made it non-searchable unless you buy some product or something(?) and supposedly made it more difficult which leads me to believe they are being stricter with the state portion. The issue really is - obviously - whether you call the board and be honest with them in a preemptive way or hold your breath to wait and see.

However, I would discourage people from speeding up the videos in the future. The guidelines ARE very clear, and you are warned that your time is going to be audited. Is it worth jeopardizing your licensure if that sends you to character and fitness or if you don't even make it to C&F because your audit rendered the NYLE void and they may make you wait a period of time before taking it again? I just really think people should follow the rules and then there isn't anything to worry about. Also, the course materials are not that long in the grand scheme of things (nothing compared to your UBE materials). If you don't understand something, read it. Print out a copy, highlight and/or take notes, and then tab the hell out of it - use big tabs to separate the subjects and smaller ones for subtopics and make a small binder.

m27

Bronze

Post by m27 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:28 pm

studying4bar wrote:
m27 wrote:
WheatThins wrote:
yungthug92 wrote:URGENT QUESTION: If we use a video fast forwarder, will we still pass the electronic audit of time spent watching the course materials? NEED to know...
I sped up two of the videos and the time difference between two videos is about 10 minutes. Will this pass the audit? Should I call up the Board and address this problem? Is it plausible that I could have watched most of two videos one day, and then completed them within 10 minutes of each other the next day, resulting in that time stamp? Please advise.
Honestly, not sure. There is no bright line to my knowledge about the cut-off, but they do want you to know or learn SOME NY law and since it is New York, they may be strict. I know this is not helpful but I am responding because it seems urgent and I was involved with the transition of bar exams as a student rep so I was present at more than 1 of the forums they held when they were taking comments and in discussing that part of the exam they (at the time) felt it was short enough and that attorney's would need to know SOME NY law to start, so while I do not know what the leeway is given that technology can fail us sometimes, but I have heard they made it non-searchable unless you buy some product or something(?) and supposedly made it more difficult which leads me to believe they are being stricter with the state portion. The issue really is - obviously - whether you call the board and be honest with them in a preemptive way or hold your breath to wait and see.

However, I would discourage people from speeding up the videos in the future. The guidelines ARE very clear, and you are warned that your time is going to be audited. Is it worth jeopardizing your licensure if that sends you to character and fitness or if you don't even make it to C&F because your audit rendered the NYLE void and they may make you wait a period of time before taking it again? I just really think people should follow the rules and then there isn't anything to worry about. Also, the course materials are not that long in the grand scheme of things (nothing compared to your UBE materials). If you don't understand something, read it. Print out a copy, highlight and/or take notes, and then tab the hell out of it - use big tabs to separate the subjects and smaller ones for subtopics and make a small binder.

Thank you. I'm going to call them today, tell them what happened, and hope I can start everything over so I can register for the test by the deadline this month. I think being candid is the best route. Hopefully the consequences don't go beyond doing the whole thing over.

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 pm

m27 wrote:
studying4bar wrote:
m27 wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

Thank you. I'm going to call them today, tell them what happened, and hope I can start everything over so I can register for the test by the deadline this month. I think being candid is the best route. Hopefully the consequences don't go beyond doing the whole thing over.
I think that's a good decision, it shows candor and honesty which are two qualities attorney's are supposed to have and it's better than having to wait and see what happens and what consequences there are (if any). I would have been able to offer more advice, but I do not know what other background rules were set up for the NYLE. For example (you may know if you're from NY and some states may have similar provisions) there are two rules that are "very odd," as my law school advisor and assistant dean said: One rule is if you withdraw twice in a row (2 consecutive exams) you are estopped from taking the Bar again for a certain period of time (I believe a full year?) unless you provide evidence that you were unable to take the exam due to some circumstance or circumstances. The other rule my friend who was two years ahead of me learned the hard way and seems lesser known. It states that if you have two no-shows (i.e.you do not withdraw but just don't go to the exam), which do not need to be consecutive, you are taken off the list of eligibility to take the bar exam in New York and have to appeal and show some evidence etc. I know because when she first tried to take the bar after graduation, she had a 5 month old baby and her baby had a medical emergency a few days before the bar and had to be hospitalized, so she never contacted them to withdraw. Then she took the subsequent February exam but didn't pass, so she signed up to take the following July's exam and then SHE had a medical emergency and was hospitalized and couldn't withdraw properly or contact anyone. She was then sent an e-mail stating she would be ineligible to take the bar in New York but had a right to appeal. Luckily she had good reasons with plenty of documentation, and she passed the following July (I think the appeal took too long for her to register for the February exam, but I can't recall). So, long story longer, New York has some random rules that aren't very well known and I don't know if such rules exist for the NYLE.

tls2000

New

Post by tls2000 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:09 am

m27 wrote:
studying4bar wrote:
m27 wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

Do you mind me asking what ended up happening? Did you get penalized at all? I did the same thing, where I somehow totally forgot that we couldn't speed up the video and did it for two of the videos before remembering. :( I think I probably watched about 60 minutes of material at 1.3 speed, pausing occasionally to take notes, and stopped immediately after remembering it wasn't allowed. Do you think I should call too or is it not a big deal if I don't do it for any of the other videos?

Nicolena.

Bronze

Post by Nicolena. » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 pm

So I just noticed that you have to completely finish the NYLC an entire month ahead before taking the exam. Now I have to wait until June. Did anyone else miss this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

m27

Bronze

Post by m27 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:27 pm

tls2000 wrote:
m27 wrote:
studying4bar wrote:
m27 wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

Do you mind me asking what ended up happening? Did you get penalized at all? I did the same thing, where I somehow totally forgot that we couldn't speed up the video and did it for two of the videos before remembering. :( I think I probably watched about 60 minutes of material at 1.3 speed, pausing occasionally to take notes, and stopped immediately after remembering it wasn't allowed. Do you think I should call too or is it not a big deal if I don't do it for any of the other videos?
Call, disclose, and they will instruct you to write a letter and fax it to them. The board only meets once a month at the beginning of the month, so we won't get a decision until then. You will likely have to redo the NYLC and take it in June. If you're honest and disclose, I can't see anything bad happening. Worse case, there will be a misconduct violation on your record to Character and Fitness; but this is not the type of violation that precludes from admission (especially since you reached out and disclosed).

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Nicolena. wrote:So I just noticed that you have to completely finish the NYLC an entire month ahead before taking the exam. Now I have to wait until June. Did anyone else miss this?
Yeah I believe it's so they can audit time etc for all people sitting for a particular session but I have heard that because you get your results so quickly it is unlikely to cause a delay in licensure, but I'd call to check.

studying4bar

New

Post by studying4bar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:59 pm

m27 wrote:
tls2000 wrote:
m27 wrote:
studying4bar wrote:
m27 wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

Call, disclose, and they will instruct you to write a letter and fax it to them. The board only meets once a month at the beginning of the month, so we won't get a decision until then. You will likely have to redo the NYLC and take it in June. If you're honest and disclose, I can't see anything bad happening. Worse case, there will be a misconduct violation on your record to Character and Fitness; but this is not the type of violation that precludes from admission (especially since you reached out and disclosed).
Yeah, I fully endorse being upfront and honest because if you aren't it would be more egregious or may seem like you're trying to slip by. As noted above, I do not believe this will cause a character and fitness issue but I am not sure how it would be viewed or handled without disclosure

rgn122000

New

Post by rgn122000 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:08 am

Looking at the sample questions for tomorrow and they have the topics where the answers can be found listed by section. Will this be on the actual exam?

The rules for the exam say you cannot ctrl-f the materials, so I don't want to try and get around that, but if the questions have the specific sections, I assume it will be easier to find the answers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:42 am

rgn122000 wrote:Looking at the sample questions for tomorrow and they have the topics where the answers can be found listed by section. Will this be on the actual exam?

The rules for the exam say you cannot ctrl-f the materials, so I don't want to try and get around that, but if the questions have the specific sections, I assume it will be easier to find the answers.
Where are these sample questions posted?

rgn122000

New

Post by rgn122000 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:09 pm

RareExports wrote:
rgn122000 wrote:Looking at the sample questions for tomorrow and they have the topics where the answers can be found listed by section. Will this be on the actual exam?

Where are these sample questions posted?
https://www.nybarexam.org/Content/NYLES ... stions.pdf

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:23 pm

That was kind of difficult

jerryjones9492

New

Post by jerryjones9492 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:57 pm

adil91 wrote:That was kind of difficult
I thought I was the only one. :oops:
They might have taken it up a notch this year!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lilkim12

New

Post by lilkim12 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Yea.... I thought that was pretty hard and regret not actually studying/ looking at anything at all....

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:43 pm

adil91 wrote:That was kind of difficult

Nykidj

New

Post by Nykidj » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:04 pm

I feel you had to read between the lines for a lot of the questions because a lot of the answer choices seemed to be all right.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 am

There were a handful of questions that either had no good answer, or that would have taken too long/required too much searching to figure out the right one. Overall, I didn't think it was difficult, though. You only need 32/50, and there were a lot of questions where the answer was plain as day if you knew where to look in the rules.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:27 am

You have to study a little to pass, but it's not rocket science. Simply print out all of the PDF documents and look at the boring lectures while you're at work. They do have embedded codes so once in a while you have to look for those in the videos. Two weeks before the exam, gloss over the notes on your lunch break. Make sure you organize the PDF's according to the subject and know where to find everything. If you do this then you'll pass without breaking a sweat.

sg1226

New

Post by sg1226 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:25 pm

You need 30/50 to pass. And yes, I also found many questions to be very confusing and questions that had two possibly correct answers. I know the scores say they take 2 weeks, but historically has it been sooner?

Labhuershi

New

Post by Labhuershi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:27 am

Are results to be posted soon?

sg1226

New

Post by sg1226 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:12 am

The last two exams had results posted the following Friday. So historically, yes they should be posted today. However, today is Good Friday and Passover begins tonight so perhaps some people are off? I am anxiously refreshing my email and BOLE account.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yankees1313

New

Post by Yankees1313 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:27 am

Will they be released today?

sg1226

New

Post by sg1226 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:23 am

I called Friday and the person said they would be released "early next week" so hoping for today!!

mlp12

New

Post by mlp12 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Results are up

Labhuershi

New

Post by Labhuershi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Results are up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”