New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
didntretake

New

New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Post by didntretake » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:13 am

Anyone else doing this right now? I'm about 5 videos in and hating every second of it but planning to take the May 26 exam. I'm just looking for fellow sufferers, but if anyone has advice or questions, please share.

Also, if this post is in the wrong board, sorry.

john_brown

New

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Post by john_brown » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:44 pm

Nope - but like everyone else I'll have to do it eventually.

So, what's it like? Why's it getting you down?

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:03 pm

Last edited by banjo on Tue May 31, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

didntretake

New

Post by didntretake » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:33 pm

john_brown wrote:Nope - but like everyone else I'll have to do it eventually.

So, what's it like? Why's it getting you down?
It's super boring and seems like it was kind of hastily thrown together. There is a really wide range in terms of presenter quality.

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:59 am

banjo wrote:Mute the videos and watch Netflix instead. When a question pops up, ctrl+f the answer in the course materials pdf. That's really all it takes--it's pointless busywork.

By the way, if you really hate watching the videos, open several tabs with different videos playing in each tab. When they all conclude in a question, answer the question in Tab 1 and continue on to the next video segment. Then jump to Tab 2, refresh, and answer the question that appears--it will likely be the question that was supposed to follow the segment that's currently playing in Tab 1 (the segment you haven't even watched yet). It's hard to explain, but can save you time. I'm sure there are other little glitches that people will discover.
Banjo, do you think reading the course materials is all one needs to pass the NYLE?? Will the course materials they provide be sufficient without having taken a bar course? Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:07 pm

ChocolateTruffle wrote:
banjo wrote:Mute the videos and watch Netflix instead. When a question pops up, ctrl+f the answer in the course materials pdf. That's really all it takes--it's pointless busywork.

By the way, if you really hate watching the videos, open several tabs with different videos playing in each tab. When they all conclude in a question, answer the question in Tab 1 and continue on to the next video segment. Then jump to Tab 2, refresh, and answer the question that appears--it will likely be the question that was supposed to follow the segment that's currently playing in Tab 1 (the segment you haven't even watched yet). It's hard to explain, but can save you time. I'm sure there are other little glitches that people will discover.
Banjo, do you think reading the course materials is all one needs to pass the NYLE?? Will the course materials they provide be sufficient without having taken a bar course? Thanks
The whole point is that the NYLC prepares you for the NYLE. Why would you need to have taken a bar course? And so far, it seems like there's nothing covered in the lectures that you can't glean from the materials provided, so I'm sure ignoring the lectures and just reviewing the materials will be sufficient for passing the NYLE.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:26 pm

didntretake

New

Post by didntretake » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:30 am

I finished the last video today. I'm pretty sure, for the actual exam, you can look up every answer in the provided rules outline within the time alloted and probably get a perfect score. The NY BOLE claims this is not possible but its a searchable PDF so...

jj252525

New

Post by jj252525 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:20 pm

Attempting to grind through it right now. Confused as to why the second PR video (thus far) is just mimicking the first.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Albanylawstudent

New

Post by Albanylawstudent » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Is there any way to speed up the nylc? Do you think the board of law will audit the time it takes?

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Haven't used Examsoft before -- can we have the PDF open to search it during the exam?

ChocolateTruffle

Bronze

Post by ChocolateTruffle » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:01 am

WahooLaw24 wrote:Haven't used Examsoft before -- can we have the PDF open to search it during the exam?
No. You'll need to have the PDF open on another laptop or iPad if you want to be able to search it.

Albanylawstudent

New

Post by Albanylawstudent » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:50 pm

The version of the nyle from exams soft will be in the insecure mode meaning you can switch between the exam and your notes. It does not lock the machine like the version for the bar exam.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Albanylawstudent

New

Post by Albanylawstudent » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:51 pm

ChocolateTruffle wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:Haven't used Examsoft before -- can we have the PDF open to search it during the exam?
No. You'll need to have the PDF open on another laptop or iPad if you want to be able to search it.
The version of exam soft for the nyle allows you to toggle between the notes and the exam.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:59 pm

any of you doing just this and not the UBE? If I'm not taking the UBE (already did it) this is all I have to sign up for right or is there an overall bar application. Sorry for the stupid question, just figured someone here could fill me in. Thanks!

Albanylawstudent

New

Post by Albanylawstudent » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:09 pm

FlanAl wrote:any of you doing just this and not the UBE? If I'm not taking the UBE (already did it) this is all I have to sign up for right or is there an overall bar application. Sorry for the stupid question, just figured someone here could fill me in. Thanks!
Transfer your UBE score of 266 or better in October. Take the nylc, nyle, mpre of 85 or greater and you are all set.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:07 am

Albanylawstudent wrote:
FlanAl wrote:any of you doing just this and not the UBE? If I'm not taking the UBE (already did it) this is all I have to sign up for right or is there an overall bar application. Sorry for the stupid question, just figured someone here could fill me in. Thanks!
Transfer your UBE score of 266 or better in October. Take the nylc, nyle, mpre of 85 or greater and you are all set.
Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun May 08, 2016 1:17 pm

reasonableperson

New

Post by reasonableperson » Mon May 16, 2016 11:12 pm

banjo wrote:All right, I guess it's time to listen to a few of these lectures.

Here's a link to the NYLC videos: https://www.nybarexam.org/ApplicantPort ... eview.aspx.

I downloaded Firefox on my phone and used the 'request desktop site' feature to listen to the lectures while my screen is off. I also downloaded a video speed add-on to make this a little less painful.
Nice man. What addon did you use? Thanks in advance.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Mon May 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Last edited by banjo on Tue May 31, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonableperson

New

Post by reasonableperson » Tue May 17, 2016 12:19 am

banjo wrote:
reasonableperson wrote:
banjo wrote:All right, I guess it's time to listen to a few of these lectures.

Here's a link to the NYLC videos: https://www.nybarexam.org/ApplicantPort ... eview.aspx.

I downloaded Firefox on my phone and used the 'request desktop site' feature to listen to the lectures while my screen is off. I also downloaded a video speed add-on to make this a little less painful.
Nice man. What addon did you use? Thanks in advance.
No problem. I used Faster Video Mobile for Firefox on my Android (eh). On my laptop, I use Video Speed Controller for Chrome (pretty good).

I spent a day reading the Course Materials pdf and plan to ctrl+f as much as possible on test day. If the questions are anything like the samples, this will be a very straightforward test.
Worked, thanks! Yeah, I hope so as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Tue May 17, 2016 7:54 pm

Can anyone point me to the page where you actually register for the exam? I just finished all the videos and the only thing that shows up on that site now is "you have completed the course." I'm assuming registration isn't open yet for August but I'd like to have the registration link saved for future reference.

EDIT: Never mind, instructions were e-mailed to me shortly after completing the videos

Wearthewildthingsr

New

Post by Wearthewildthingsr » Sun May 22, 2016 5:43 pm

So guys, is what the consensus on how to study for this thing pretty much to just review the outline given to us and then during the exam ctrl+f?

I figure that's my game plan unless there's some other reasons why we shouldn't? Time constraints are my biggest concern.

Wearthewildthingsr

New

Post by Wearthewildthingsr » Sun May 22, 2016 5:47 pm

So guys, is what the consensus on how to study for this thing pretty much to just review the outline given to us and then during the exam ctrl+f?

I figure that's my game plan unless there's some other reasons why we shouldn't? Time constraints are my biggest concern.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Any idea when they'll let us know if we passed? I feel like for a multiple choice, 50 question exam with no essay... the turnaround SHOULD be quick.

I cant find the info anywhere, since this whole NYLE thing seems to be super well thought-out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”