New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
QContinuum

Re: New York Law Course/Exam (NYLC/NYLE)

Post by QContinuum » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:08 pm

tiffannybrown wrote:Anyone else find that test.... a little hard?

I did all of the practice questions from the 2016 test, and completed it with 30 minutes to spare, and only got one wrong. I thought I was going to pass this with flying colors...

A lot of those questions I thought were so incredibly poorly worded. And then when I went to look for a lot of the answers, i realized a lot of the information in the packet was poorly worded.

Multiple choice always does this to me. Its too easy to overthink.

I stand by statement that multiple choice is a moronic way to tests attorney's knowledge of the law, unless you are going to ask incredibly straight forward questions, ie. "what is the SOL for ____"
Congrats on passing! And you absolutely did pass. IIRC the passing score is 30 correct out of 50 questions (60%). Even if you did horribly by college/law school exam standards - like, D-quality work - you will have passed.

I have heard of folks failing the MPRE. I have never heard of anyone failing the NYLE. You will be fine!

bardc123

New

Post by bardc123 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:13 pm

I did all of the practice questions from the 2016 test, and completed it with 30 minutes to spare, and only got one wrong. I thought I was going to pass this with flying colors...

A lot of those questions I thought were so incredibly poorly worded. And then when I went to look for a lot of the answers, i realized a lot of the information in the packet was poorly worded.

I stand by statement that multiple choice is a moronic way to tests attorney's knowledge of the law, unless you are going to ask incredibly straight forward questions, ie. "what is the SOL for ____"

Yea, that was hard. The questions on the NY website were not representative of what I encountered today. :(

mtf612

Bronze

Post by mtf612 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:29 pm

bardc123 wrote:

Yea, that was hard. The questions on the NY website were not representative of what I encountered today. :(
Definitely more difficult than I anticipated. I am very glad I read through and highlighted the packet yesterday.

The trusts & estates and real property questions were a beast, personally. I found those lectures (and the outline) really unhelpful.

JDB90

New

Post by JDB90 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Yes, totally agreed. I guess we had an idea that this thing was going to be tougher than the practice test based on what past TLS NYLE takers told us here, but it was a little ridiculous. The 2016 practice questions had no hypos, they were all straight law questions and pretty easily referred to in the NYLC packet. There were a couple of questions in the NYLE today that referred to two completely different sections in the packet. It would be great if the NY Board offered tougher practice questions to help set a little bit of expectation.

By the way, I ran out of time on the last question, I hope by virtue of me not clicking an answer on the last question the test still calculates my 49 other answers :shock:

For those looking to take this thing in the future, know that the practice questions are NOT indicative of the real thing. Make sure you highlight and tab all that you can.

QContinuum wrote: Congrats on passing! And you absolutely did pass.
I hope that's the case. At any rate, thanks for your encouragement. I'll wait by the BOLE portal and hopefully get a green "pass" here in a week or two. I'm also waiting my UBE results, so now I have two exams to await results.

tiffannybrown

New

Post by tiffannybrown » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:39 pm

Does anyone know how long it took the results from the last NYLE to come out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

koala_tea

New

Post by koala_tea » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:34 pm

Completely agree with every word of this, the NY BOLE have certainly upped the difficulty level in comparison to the practice questions. The least they could do is provide some more practice/sample questions that are on point. Not looking forward to having to watch all of those damn videos again... Does anyone know if we get our actual scores or is it just a pass/fail notice?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:48 am

koala_tea wrote:Does anyone know if we get our actual scores or is it just a pass/fail notice?
If you pass, you just get told you've passed. Not sure if actual scores are given to folks who fail.

It takes about a week for results to post.

emfeds

New

Post by emfeds » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:13 pm

koala_tea wrote:

Completely agree with every word of this, the NY BOLE have certainly upped the difficulty level in comparison to the practice questions. The least they could do is provide some more practice/sample questions that are on point. Not looking forward to having to watch all of those damn videos again... Does anyone know if we get our actual scores or is it just a pass/fail notice?
Agreed--this was way more difficult than the practice questions and I was down to the wire on timing because, as was mentioned, some information needed to answer one question was in different parts of the materials. Fingers crossed!

mtf612

Bronze

Post by mtf612 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Passed, so glad I never need to watch those vids again

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mumumumu

New

Post by Mumumumu » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:50 pm

Hi Folks!

I wanted to share my personal experience in NYLE and MPRE. I am an attorney at law in another country. I got my LLM here in the USA.

I took NYLE and MPRE twice since I failed in the first try.

For NYLE; it is open book exam. You just need to know where to look in the exam. It is around 150 pages of material. If you fail, you need to watch one more time. ( I watched which was not fun at all) Why did I fail in the first one? I think I was not well prepared; I did not know the places I can find the answers. At that time I was studying for the UBE (MBE, MEE, MPT). I think it is not a good idea to take while you are focusing on the actual bar exam. It is just time-consuming and stressful. If I had a chance one more time, I would take September NYLE rather than June NYLE. The reason is that they release the results earlier than the UBE. So you do not waste your time. And after the bar exam, you will have plenty of time to watch the videos and study from the outline. If you compare it with UBE, it is a very easy exam. The NYLE questions are totally different from the practice questions they provided on the website. There are many practical questions in the actual exam. You can figure out from the outline, but it takes time. I personally skipped the questions that require some math. You need 30 correct answers (I got 26 correct in the first try:D); so arrange your time accordingly. There were some easy peasy questions at the end. If you spent so much time on one question, you may not be able to see the easy questions. You may need to read the whole small section to figure out the answers because they may ask some exceptions.

For MPRE, I failed in my first try (My score was 75 I guess). People around me were telling "ohhh, it is so easy exam, you need to study only for 2 days. I haven't seen anyone failed." Unfortunately, I believed these rumors. I did not take it seriously and I failed. For the second MPRE; I took it seriously; over-prepared. My score was 103 which is relatively high but not the best of course.

Do not freak out, everything will be fine. I failed twice in both exams. Every time I failed, I learned more about US law. It was an opportunity for me as a foreign attorney to understand the material deeply.

You may think I am stupid. I am not very smart but I try my hard to achieve my goals.

koala_tea

New

Post by koala_tea » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:32 pm

mtf612 wrote:Passed, so glad I never need to watch those vids again
Same here! Was pleasantly surprised given I ran out of time on the last 4 questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi all -

I'm taking the NYLE this December. I was wondering if anyone knew whether you can go back to prior questions or whether the system (I believe Examplify) locks you in and prevents you from moving forward?

[edit] You can't go back to prior questions.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:01 pm

Finished up the NYLE in December and... I could definitely tell that they made a very active effort to choose wording on the questions and answers in ways to prevent people from doing ctrl+f throughout the exam. As other people have said, the exam is filled with hypos, some a short paragraph long, and the practice exam questions were much easier than the actual exam :roll:.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

at0910

New

Post by at0910 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:14 pm

Hey guys! Did anyone take the NYLE today? (December 2019) How did you guys find the exam to be..? Did anyone find it a little hard? It was definitely way different than the sample NYLE questions they have on the website!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:07 pm

at0910 wrote:Hey guys! Did anyone take the NYLE today? (December 2019) How did you guys find the exam to be..? Did anyone find it a little hard? It was definitely way different than the sample NYLE questions they have on the website!
Quite tough. I couldn't get to the last question.

lawyersHATEhim

New

Post by lawyersHATEhim » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Apparently results will be out "soon."
https://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comm ... 2019_nyle/

at0910

New

Post by at0910 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:00 pm

Thanks for sharing! Its been a while and I'm nervous about the results :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 pm

Well... the results are out. Good luck!

Not sure how bad or well I did, but I guess I'm happy I don't have to rewatch those videos again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:18 pm

Passed the December NYLE. I wish we could see our raw score!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:02 pm

For those of you that passed the December NYLE, would you mind sharing how you studied for the test?

Summerheightshigh

New

Post by Summerheightshigh » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you that passed the December NYLE, would you mind sharing how you studied for the test?
Just read the general outline over once, the one that was like 100+ pages, over the course of a few days. That being said, I did have time to go through and find every answer and finish with about 10 minutes to spare, without using control F.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:08 pm

Hi guys, I am curious what is wrong with my nylc system. I compeleted all the videos (in total 17 courses) and they are marked as completed. However, the system thinks I still have one more to watch, and it's like "completed 17/18". I even watched the welcome video twice to try...Anyone knows how to fix this problem?

Ls456

New

Post by Ls456 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:00 pm

is anyone else's NYLC site down? I've been trying to log on for two days to watch my couple last videos before the deadline to register for the March exam and it wont let me log on.....

damian9472

New

Post by damian9472 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:16 pm

My NYLC site has also been down since yesterday afternoon. I legitimately have a video and a half left. I called the Board of Bar Examiners and was told there was 2000 people attempting to complete the NYLC at the same time and the website crashed. While IT is apparently trying to fix it, she said there would not be any extension for registration. Meaning if it's still malfunctioning tomorrow I'm screwed despite the fact that I would have been done more than two days prior to the closing date. UGHHHH!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:40 pm

damian9472 wrote:My NYLC site has also been down since yesterday afternoon. I legitimately have a video and a half left. I called the Board of Bar Examiners and was told there was 2000 people attempting to complete the NYLC at the same time and the website crashed. While IT is apparently trying to fix it, she said there would not be any extension for registration. Meaning if it's still malfunctioning tomorrow I'm screwed despite the fact that I would have been done more than two days prior to the closing date. UGHHHH!
same exact issue. i have 22 mins left to watch. have to be kidding me!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”