MBE average score at 33-year low Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Re: MBE average score at 33-year low

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed May 04, 2016 4:05 pm

JazzOne wrote: It is definitely possible to teach low LSAT scorers how to improve their testing skills. I have helped many low LSAT scorers pass the bar exam in my state. However, most of my students took the bar exam several times before working with me and wasted many thousands of dollars on top of their law school expenses. Very few law schools are teaching bar review or testing strategies, so that raises the question of whether those schools are doing a disservice to their students and to the profession by admitting applicants who have little chance of passing the bar exam. None of those points is elitist. There is no "ivory tower BS" here. It's an academic debate based on research.

Do you have a website for your bar prep program? I am one who has failed CBX several times. 151 LSAT. Didn't struggle a bit in law school (New York Law School)

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed May 04, 2016 5:25 pm

JazzOne wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:A correlation without an explanation seems a little useless to me.
It's not useless. It tells us that there is a persistent overlap between the skills tested on the LSAT and those tested on the bar exam. What's useless is anecdotal evidence about people at your law school. My post was a reply to your comment that the "LSAT and bar are two DIFFERENT exams." Obviously, the contents of the exams differ, but it should be equally obvious that certain weaknesses (e.g., slow reading speed or poor logic skills) will be problematic on both exams.

I was also replying to your suggestion that, "If a person was accepted to law school and passed their classes then they should be allowed to take the bar." No one argued otherwise, so your point is a bit of a straw man. The actual argument in this thread is that law schools should not accept students with below-average LSAT scores. Whether we agree or disagree, the argument is not completely unreasonable since the existing research bears out a relationship between LSAT score and bar passage.
I didn't suggest that. Nor did I say that the LSAT and the bar are two different exams. I think you're referring to another poster.

However, I think the correlation without a cause is generally useless, because the reason why the correlation exists bears on whether or not schools should continue to take a risk on students with sub LSAT scores.

If the cause relates to just general intelligence than there is nothing that can be done, if the cause relates to a learnable skill set in taking standardized tests than schools may reasonably continue to take students with lower LSAT scores and work harder to teach them those skills so they are better prepared for the bar. Or start bar prep earlier for certain students.
JazzOne wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:I think it matters, because if it is simply a case of accepting people who aren't very bright into law school, and this is the reason for lower LSAT scores/bar passage rates....there is really nothing you can do that. You can't give people intelligence. But if its a matter of learning how to take a standardized test, how to "game" the test, getting prepared for the Bar, the way that students with higher LSAT scores prepped for the LSAT than schools may be able to do something about that.
It is definitely possible to teach low LSAT scorers how to improve their testing skills. I have helped many low LSAT scorers pass the bar exam in my state. However, most of my students took the bar exam several times before working with me and wasted many thousands of dollars on top of their law school expenses. Very few law schools are teaching bar review or testing strategies, so that raises the question of whether those schools are doing a disservice to their students and to the profession by admitting applicants who have little chance of passing the bar exam. None of those points is elitist. There is no "ivory tower BS" here. It's an academic debate based on research.
And this is the big question to me, and where I would want to see the data. If its not a matter of raw intelligence, than its a matter of something that can be taught. Skill in taking a standardized test, knowing how to study, working and developing those skills for the LSAT may have better prepared a student to do the same for the bar exam. In this case, than there are things the schools can do to ensure that IF they choose to accept students with a lower LSAT score that the student will be successful in taking the bar exam.

It sounds like....after working with you, these lower LSAT students had a great chance of passing the bar exam. So, if schools were to intervene BEFORE the bar exam with particular students they might be better served. Right now, I think there are a number of schools that have classes to prep students for the bar exam before they graduate....HOWEVER, those classes are only offered to remedial students. But if the LSAT is the indicator of bar passage, perhaps they should be offering these classes to students that were accepted with a lower LSAT score.

But, of course, this has to be something that the schools recognize in taking applicants with scores under 150. Its a brave new world with these students gaining acceptance to law school where they may not have before. Should the door be summarily closed to those students? I don't know. BUT I do think that a school that chooses to accept these students should: a) do some research to understand why the correlation between low LSAT scores and inability to pass the bar exists and b) be obligated to have early intervention programs for these students with low LSAT scores.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu May 05, 2016 11:47 am

I don't want shitty schools teaching the bar more than they already do. I want the shitty bar to change so that schools aren't forced to teach their students how to be idiot lawyers in order to get the privilege of practicing law.

workandwork

New

Post by workandwork » Thu May 05, 2016 2:00 pm

I don't understand why we need to discuss the correlation between LSAT and the bar exam result. I really believe the focus should be on the preparation of the exam instead of how you get into the law school and which law school are you in. I didn't take Jd and LLM in US (so obviously I didn't take LSAT). I am a full time worker in an international law firm also I could only take 2 months leave to study the bar. Of cause I am not in a position to give comments on whether the Jd or LLM education would be crucial to pass the bar , but the point I want to make is why don't we just focus on the bar perpetration? Given that I have no us law education background, I really think intensive study with a well planned schedule could help to pass the bar instead of focusing on the LSAT result.

law732

New

Post by law732 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:39 pm

149 LSAT Score
3.03 UGPA
156.7 MBE - Passed

And my law school didn't teach the bar lol (I wish they would have). They did offer an optional 1 credit "intro to the bar" class that no one really signed up for - myself included.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:31 pm

Sorry for the delayed response. Right after I jumped into this conversation, I had to grade final exams. Then I went on vacation for a couple weeks, and I returned to a bunch of anxious bar prep clients ready to get started.

rcharter1978 wrote:I didn't suggest that. Nor did I say that the LSAT and the bar are two different exams. I think you're referring to another poster.
I apologize for confusing you with L_Williams_W.

rcharter1978 wrote:IHowever, I think the correlation without a cause is generally useless, because the reason why the correlation exists bears on whether or not schools should continue to take a risk on students with sub LSAT scores.

If the cause relates to just general intelligence than there is nothing that can be done, if the cause relates to a learnable skill set in taking standardized tests than schools may reasonably continue to take students with lower LSAT scores and work harder to teach them those skills so they are better prepared for the bar. Or start bar prep earlier for certain students. . . .

And this is the big question to me, and where I would want to see the data. If its not a matter of raw intelligence, than its a matter of something that can be taught. Skill in taking a standardized test, knowing how to study, working and developing those skills for the LSAT may have better prepared a student to do the same for the bar exam. In this case, than there are things the schools can do to ensure that IF they choose to accept students with a lower LSAT score that the student will be successful in taking the bar exam.

It sounds like....after working with you, these lower LSAT students had a great chance of passing the bar exam. So, if schools were to intervene BEFORE the bar exam with particular students they might be better served. Right now, I think there are a number of schools that have classes to prep students for the bar exam before they graduate....HOWEVER, those classes are only offered to remedial students. But if the LSAT is the indicator of bar passage, perhaps they should be offering these classes to students that were accepted with a lower LSAT score.

But, of course, this has to be something that the schools recognize in taking applicants with scores under 150. Its a brave new world with these students gaining acceptance to law school where they may not have before. Should the door be summarily closed to those students? I don't know. BUT I do think that a school that chooses to accept these students should: a) do some research to understand why the correlation between low LSAT scores and inability to pass the bar exists and b) be obligated to have early intervention programs for these students with low LSAT scores.
I think we pretty much agree, and we're just arguing over the semantics. I don't think a correlation without a cause is useless because the correlation gives us clues as to which potential causes are worth investigating. Without knowing the correlations that exist, we cannot make educated guesses about the mechanisms of causation. I have spent a lot of time reading and thinking about those mechanisms because I truly want to understand why people fail the bar exam so that I can help them pass. The correlation between LSAT score and bar passage is significant, but there is a stronger significant correlation between law school GPA and bar passage. At least one study found no statistical difference between students of different bar prep programs. The real statistic that I am interested in understanding is the bar passage rate among law school graduates who do not take a major bar prep course. However, there are very few bar takers in that category, probably because most law school graduates are terrified of the bar exam and wouldn't dream of self-studying.

At any rate, thanks for the conversation. I am genuinely interested in this area of research. However, when I pitched this idea to the dean of my law school, I was very disheartened by his opinion that bar passage research is not legal research. He basically dismisses this as a legitimate research agenda for a law professor. Bummer.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:44 pm

6TimeFailure wrote:
JazzOne wrote: It is definitely possible to teach low LSAT scorers how to improve their testing skills. I have helped many low LSAT scorers pass the bar exam in my state. However, most of my students took the bar exam several times before working with me and wasted many thousands of dollars on top of their law school expenses. Very few law schools are teaching bar review or testing strategies, so that raises the question of whether those schools are doing a disservice to their students and to the profession by admitting applicants who have little chance of passing the bar exam. None of those points is elitist. There is no "ivory tower BS" here. It's an academic debate based on research.

Do you have a website for your bar prep program? I am one who has failed CBX several times. 151 LSAT. Didn't struggle a bit in law school (New York Law School)
Thanks for the question. Unfortunately, I do not have a polished website just yet. I have been teaching test prep (including LSAT) for more than 10 years, so I have a large network of law students and attorneys. Thus, I was able to reach out to former students to get my initial bar prep clients. I am now at a point where I must start advertising and marketing in order to grow, so I am building a website this summer.

I took the bar exam in Texas, so I am not particularly knowledgeable about the CBX. At best, I could give you some advice regarding the MBE. If it makes you feel any better, the CBX is generally regarded as the hardest bar exam. Furthermore, several of my clients who struggled with the Texas Bar Exam are now successful attorneys. Finally, many commentators are critical of the content and structure of bar exams, and I tend to agree that bar exams are poor at measuring an individual's ability to practice law well. Let me know if you want to chat about your scores and your next attempt.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:29 pm

law732 wrote:149 LSAT Score
3.03 UGPA
156.7 MBE - Passed

And my law school didn't teach the bar lol (I wish they would have). They did offer an optional 1 credit "intro to the bar" class that no one really signed up for - myself included.
Don't mind them. This is just an underhanded scheme by Trump supporters to decrease the amount of minorities in law schools.

One exam has NOTHING to do with the other. The LSAT is a logic-based exam while the bar tests on your knowledge of the law. And I like I said before, I knew many people who scored in the upper 140's and lower 150's who passed the bar on their first attempt. If you properly prepare for an exam then you'll pass.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:55 pm

L_William_W wrote:
law732 wrote:149 LSAT Score
3.03 UGPA
156.7 MBE - Passed

Don't mind them. This is just an underhanded scheme by Trump supporters to decrease the amount of minorities in law schools.
I apologize if my sarcasm detector is broken, but you're just acting ridiculous at this point. I am not a Trump supporter. I am a minority (Hispanic). I teach at a law school in a southern border state, and I spent a good portion of my teaching career in a border city. A majority of my LSAT students over the past 10 years--and a majority of my bar prep clients for that matter--are minorities. I have helped more minority students become attorneys than I can count. You're barking up the wrong tree.
L_William_W wrote:One exam has NOTHING to do with the other. The LSAT is a logic-based exam while the bar tests on your knowledge of the law. And I like I said before, I knew many people who scored in the upper 140's and lower 150's who passed the bar on their first attempt. If you properly prepare for an exam then you'll pass.
Your anecdotal evidence does not trump the numerous, statistically rigorous studies that have been done, several of which were linked earlier in this thread. And your suggestion that bar passage merely requires proper preparation oversimplifies the complexities of divergent learning styles, test anxiety, and poor testing skills (particularly those associated with the minorities you mentioned). Care to cite any research to support your position? How about your own experience? How many students or peers have you coached through the bar prep process? How many years have you spent studying the LSAT and its attendant skills?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:48 pm

I just feel that having an arbitrary cut off for law school acceptance is elitist and borderline racist. You're not getting into Harvard law school with a 149 LSAT (even if you play the race card). However, if you went to a second tier law school and busted your behind studying then you can pass the bar, even with a low LSAT. It's clear that most of the people in this thread only want members of the upper crust to attend law school.

Like I said before, the LSAT and bar are two different exams. The LSAT can be gamed if you're a master test taker. In fact, there's a section called logic games which is totally irrelevant to the material in law school. On the bar, however, even if you're a master test taker, you still have to know the material. You have to know the different between personal and subject matter jurisdiction and the dormant commerce clause and privileges and immunities clause. Comparing the LSAT to the bar is like comparing baseball with soccer.

At the law school I attended, quite a few students had low LSAT's. They were required to take a remedial course. And guess what? They took the course and didn't bitch about it. Then, they formed a study group. They were a tight knit group who hung out after class. Despite having a low LSAT, they got some of the best grades in law school and most of them passed on the first attempt. The remaining students passed on the second attempt.

Similarly, there are people who performed poorly on the SAT and did well in college. I don't mind having a cut off score for a specific law school, but having a set minimum score for all law schools is just unfair.

And one more thing: maybe MBE scores are lower since they made the exam more difficult. If you look at the MBE's from the early 1990's then they're much simpler than the current exam. The reason why that's the case is because the NCBE wants a set number of people to pass. Back then, not that many people wanted to become lawyers. Now, since the economy is bad and people are looking for get rich quick schemes, everyone wants to attend law school. Since more people want to be lawyers, the NCBE made the exam harder.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:18 am

^^It sounds like your school recognized that there was a correlation between the LSAT and bar success and intervened early to help those students with lower LSAT scores. Which is what I think schools should be obligated to do if they choose to accept students with LSAT scores under 150. What would really grind my gears would be if schools just accept students that they have every reason to believe won't be able to pass the bar exam (based on the data) and are offering those students no help whatsoever, because they want to fill the seats.

Yes, there is some assumption of the risk if you accept an offer to go to law school knowing that the data is against you, but at the same time, I don't think thats an excuse for schools to simply take advantage of those students when they have better access to the information/the data/the numbers.

I totally understand your argument about closing the doors to law school being elitist and likely having a racially discriminatory impact.

I certainly think there are people that can score under 150 on the LSAT and pass the bar exam on the first try. But I think those are the exceptions and generally not the rule.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”