July 2016 (UBE) Self Study Thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Jss

New

Re: July 2016 (UBE) Self Study Thread

Post by Jss » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Does anybody know or can give some advice with respect to answering the mee and mpt "just"in bullet point form in case I run out of time? Is this terrible and would many points be deducted for this?

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Jss wrote:Does anybody know or can give some advice with respect to answering the mee and mpt "just"in bullet point form in case I run out of time? Is this terrible and would many points be deducted for this?
I've wondered this myself. Might depend on the jurisdiction. I hope we would get some credit, but truthfully have no idea.

DarlayBoo

New

Post by DarlayBoo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:25 pm

Jss wrote:I have started to review the MEE essays, I am finding the model answers provided by the NCBE quite difficult, I have taken a look at the model/representative good answers from Minnesota which administers the UBE as well, and find their answers much better.

https://www.ble.state.mn.us/resource-ce ... swers.aspx

Could anybody please give me some insight as to if answers like the Minnesota ones would be acceptable as well? eg. the the July 2011 question 9, the NCBE answer almost seems to be a comparison of the UPA 1997 AND UPA 1914, however the Minnesota answer does not seem to include references like that at all and merely refers to the fact pattern.

Also, I have read a lot about the different levels of difficulty for the practice MBE questions, are barbrbi, kaplan and barmax (these are original questions that are no longer in use?) ok to use? Is it correct to say that Adaptibar is too "easy'? I was thinking of perhaps purchasing those as well.

Thanks.
The MN example answers are what a good answer will actually look like. The NCBE answers are what the grading rubric looks like - useful for studying/learning the law, but NOT AT ALL WHAT YOUR REAL ANSWER IS EXPECTED TO LOOK. You are never expected to reference cases or laws in your MEE answers. I find looking at both the NCBE and the MN answers for the same question to be helpful - NCBE first to see all the issues, and MN to remind what a strong answer actually looks like. If you'll notice, they often get things wrong in them too.

Also, generally, the score difference between a "I made some shit up" MEE answer and a "really good" MEE answer is not anywhere as big as you feel like it will be. Fill in something reasonable sounding, make up a rule if you have to, but the MBE is where you are going to live or die here. So don't let the essays freak you out too much.

Jss

New

Post by Jss » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:46 pm

DarlayBoo wrote:
Jss wrote:I have started to review the MEE essays, I am finding the model answers provided by the NCBE quite difficult, I have taken a look at the model/representative good answers from Minnesota which administers the UBE as well, and find their answers much better.

https://www.ble.state.mn.us/resource-ce ... swers.aspx

Could anybody please give me some insight as to if answers like the Minnesota ones would be acceptable as well? eg. the the July 2011 question 9, the NCBE answer almost seems to be a comparison of the UPA 1997 AND UPA 1914, however the Minnesota answer does not seem to include references like that at all and merely refers to the fact pattern.

Also, I have read a lot about the different levels of difficulty for the practice MBE questions, are barbrbi, kaplan and barmax (these are original questions that are no longer in use?) ok to use? Is it correct to say that Adaptibar is too "easy'? I was thinking of perhaps purchasing those as well.

Thanks.
The MN example answers are what a good answer will actually look like. The NCBE answers are what the grading rubric looks like - useful for studying/learning the law, but NOT AT ALL WHAT YOUR REAL ANSWER IS EXPECTED TO LOOK. You are never expected to reference cases or laws in your MEE answers. I find looking at both the NCBE and the MN answers for the same question to be helpful - NCBE first to see all the issues, and MN to remind what a strong answer actually looks like. If you'll notice, they often get things wrong in them too.

Also, generally, the score difference between a "I made some shit up" MEE answer and a "really good" MEE answer is not anywhere as big as you feel like it will be. Fill in something reasonable sounding, make up a rule if you have to, but the MBE is where you are going to live or die here. So don't let the essays freak you out too much.

Thanks very much! Do you know anything about answering in bullet point style form? Would that be terrible and would a lot of points get deducted?

Jss

New

Post by Jss » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:12 pm

I have never used examsoft before, will we receive the mee and mpt in paper format or through examsoft? Also, will we be given scratch paper for notes etc?

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Just to update any future self-studiers, I passed with ease, I think you can too. I got a 175 on the MBE and a 145 on the essay portions, this makes sense as I focused pretty heavy on MBE, and outlined or scanned as many essays as I had access to. I think I did a total of ~4-5 MPTs, and that was fine (just make sure, as everyone says, to be good with you time and finish both tasks).

Don't check TLS much, but my original posts is accurate for what I did. If I get PMs I'll try to respond when I check my account, though the farther away I get, the more likely I am to forget the details of what I did.

Best of Luck

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:33 am

nachosrgood wrote:Just to update any future self-studiers, I passed with ease, I think you can too. I got a 175 on the MBE and a 145 on the essay portions, this makes sense as I focused pretty heavy on MBE, and outlined or scanned as many essays as I had access to. I think I did a total of ~4-5 MPTs, and that was fine (just make sure, as everyone says, to be good with you time and finish both tasks).

Don't check TLS much, but my original posts is accurate for what I did. If I get PMs I'll try to respond when I check my account, though the farther away I get, the more likely I am to forget the details of what I did.

Best of Luck
How many JXs are you planing to transfer your UBE score into and which ones?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nachosrgood

Bronze

Post by nachosrgood » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:06 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
nachosrgood wrote:Just to update any future self-studiers, I passed with ease, I think you can too. I got a 175 on the MBE and a 145 on the essay portions, this makes sense as I focused pretty heavy on MBE, and outlined or scanned as many essays as I had access to. I think I did a total of ~4-5 MPTs, and that was fine (just make sure, as everyone says, to be good with you time and finish both tasks).

Best of Luck
How many JXs are you planing to transfer your UBE score into and which ones?
I am not sure, depends if and where my sig other and I decide to move sometime down the road. So nowhere at this point.

kyn

New

Post by kyn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi, if anyone has unwanted UBE study materials to give away/sell for cheap, please let me know! Thanks :)

Kyn

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”