New Jersey Bar Exam February 2016 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
law732

New

New Jersey Bar Exam February 2016

Post by law732 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Figured I'd get it started for the Garden State. 8 days and counting. Good luck to all!

law732

New

Re: New Jersey Bar Exam February 2016

Post by law732 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:39 am

Anyone hear anything about the release date for NJ other than "sometime in mid May?"

sdimo

New

Post by sdimo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:57 am

law732 wrote:Anyone hear anything about the release date for NJ other than "sometime in mid May?"
nothing yet. the website says by may 15. i'm thinking (hoping) the 6th. last year they released may 8th, may 9th the year before, so seems like friday of the first full week (maybe?).

law732

New

Post by law732 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:34 pm

sdimo wrote:
law732 wrote:Anyone hear anything about the release date for NJ other than "sometime in mid May?"
nothing yet. the website says by may 15. i'm thinking (hoping) the 6th. last year they released may 8th, may 9th the year before, so seems like friday of the first full week (maybe?).
Ugh. This wait... Thank you!!

Njbar

New

Post by Njbar » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:03 am

What you guys think about the essays? I had the contract at the end, and feel terrible becuase of the timing issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

futurelawyer12

New

Post by futurelawyer12 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:20 am

Njbar wrote:What you guys think about the essays? I had the contract at the end, and feel terrible becuase of the timing issue.
Same! And after taking NY too by the end of the third day my brain was fried. I could barely even remember the definition of a contract lol.

Njbar

New

Post by Njbar » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:13 pm

futurelawyer12 wrote:
Njbar wrote:What you guys think about the essays? I had the contract at the end, and feel terrible becuase of the timing issue.
Same! And after taking NY too by the end of the third day my brain was fried. I could barely even remember the definition of a contract lol.
I remember that I discussed about express condition and contract formation. I dont think there were a lot of issues we need to discuss in that contract essay :( . Also for torts, i forgot to discuss about false imprisonment. What you think about other essays?

law732

New

Post by law732 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:45 pm

Njbar wrote:
futurelawyer12 wrote:
I remember that I discussed about express condition and contract formation. I dont think there were a lot of issues we need to discuss in that contract essay :( . Also for torts, i forgot to discuss about false imprisonment. What you think about other essays?
I don't think you needed to discuss false imprisonment b/c I don't remember there being intent, but rather negligence. Could be wrong though because my mind was mush on the essay day.

How about the Con Law and Crim essays?

sdimo

New

Post by sdimo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:58 am

you guys have impressive memories. i think i instantly blanked out my mind. I remember something about a hummer and that's it haha.
looks like NY got results last night. hopefully that means we're up next though I'm feeling round two for me in July

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FallonJ

New

Post by FallonJ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:24 am

Yup, New York got their results last night. I'm sure way more people did NY, yet we wait.

jl1004

New

Post by jl1004 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:35 pm

I took both NY and NJ and I believe last year's Feb exam's results came out on 5/5. So the results could come out in a week or so.

FDR6

New

Post by FDR6 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:36 pm

How's everyone doing, this forum is real quiet. Good luck everyone

FallonJ

New

Post by FallonJ » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:12 pm

This wait absolutely sucks and it's messing with my sleep patterns. Lol! All of my friends in other states received their results.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FDR6

New

Post by FDR6 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:34 pm

FallonJ wrote:This wait absolutely sucks and it's messing with my sleep patterns. Lol! All of my friends in other states received their results.
Yeah tell me about it, i literally had a dream about this shit last night. I'm going to need a 136 on the essay with my MBE score (took NY) so idk how manageable that is.

udonisandtrinity

Bronze

Post by udonisandtrinity » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:10 pm

I scored a 138 on my MBE so I need 128+. Last time around, I scored 132 on my essays despite trying not giving a F and writing down nonsense. I did not even try because what I thought to be a poor MBE performance (I was right - scored a 122).

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:39 pm

I attended CUNY Law School in NYC. I flunked the February and July 2014 NY Bar Exam. On the July exam, my score was an embarrassing 580. After realizing that there was no chance in hell of me passing the NY Bar, I took the NJ Bar in February 2015. I received a 126 (passing is 133). My MBE was 123.2 and my essays were 127.8 With the exception of the Torts essay in which I got a 5, all of my essays sucked. I received 3's on the criminal law, evidence, civ pro, and property essays. I received 2's on the con law and contracts essay. On the latter two essays, I basically wrote nothing.

After changing my approach to the bar (using the Kaplan MBE book and memorizing the fact patterns and answers for every NJ essay since the year 2000), I passed the July 2015 NJ Bar. My MBE was a weak 130.2. They didn't write down what my essay score was, but it was obviously 136 or higher.

I think they're making the NJ Bar harder, but I learned that when in doubt, kitchen sink and data dump. In crim, I noticed that conspiracy comes up on almost every essay. Felony murder and warrant exceptions are also popular topics. Literally go line by line looking for an issue. Even if you don't know a rule, make something up halfway coherent. An example is if a person in a fact pattern is senile or crazy. I forgot the MPC rule for insanity, but I made some stuff up. In torts, the rules are easy, but if you don't pay attention then you can miss an issue. In con law, when in doubt, talk about the levels of scrutiny and due process. In evidence, simply look at past exams. The rules are hard but predictable. The same fact patterns always come up. I'm weaker in property and contracts. Civ pro is the bane of my existence.

In NJ, a strong performance on the essays can offset a weak performance on the MBE. That's not the case in NY. In NJ, you know what's coming. In NY, you don't. The essays in NY are different almost every time. The NY multiple choice is unfair since they don't release the past questions. I utterly abhor the MPT since the grading is subjective. Unlike the NJ essays were they only care about the answer, in NY, the essay answers have to have a specific format. The NJ bar exam isn't a cakewalk, but it's 10 times easier than the NY bar.

I was the dumbest person in my law school and I passed the NJ bar. I wouldn't worry.

FDR6

New

Post by FDR6 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Haha im sure your a lot smarter then you give yourself credit for! My exact score is also a 130.2. Didn't make NY. Missed it by 10. I did feel good about the NJ essays answered all of them, but there's just no way of predicting the outcome let alone how they convert the raw to scale so the uncertainty dies sucks. I suppose I'm in the ball park but just slightly so I'm praying for that 136 on the essays.
Last edited by FDR6 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FDR6

New

Post by FDR6 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:13 pm

udonisandtrinity wrote:I scored a 138 on my MBE so I need 128+. Last time around, I scored 132 on my essays despite trying not giving a F and writing down nonsense. I did not even try because what I thought to be a poor MBE performance (I was right - scored a 122).
Good luck! I think your in pretty decent shape!

Njbar

New

Post by Njbar » Sun May 01, 2016 8:42 am

What is raw essay score for a 136 scaled score? I think feb curve is aleays lower than july. Also I noticed that NJ always give lower score when they regrad essays. :(

law732

New

Post by law732 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:59 pm

FDR6 wrote:How's everyone doing, this forum is real quiet. Good luck everyone
Hanging in. Missed July by 4 points. MBE was my downfall. Hoping for results this week!! How is everyone else??

sdimo

New

Post by sdimo » Mon May 02, 2016 7:00 am

stressing over here, too! it was my first attempt at the bar--only took NJ. I finished from NYLS in Dec 2014, so I had to work to save up for the prep course & test itself. My fear was not enough time and being out of practice of studying haha--was working FT doing doc review while studying (which will continue if I retake in July) so I was clocking maybe 5-6 study hours during the week and sleeping like 3-4 hours a night. Oh well!! Few more days! I still don't get why we get ours after NY, though, even though NJ tests a quarter of the people lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FDR6

New

Post by FDR6 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:20 am

Njbar wrote:What is raw essay score for a 136 scaled score? I think feb curve is aleays lower than july. Also I noticed that NJ always give lower score when they regrad essays. :(
There's no real way to assess it, and that's what so frustrating about it, and you can't get much information from the NJbar. Best way to get an idea is by looking at what others scored, but even then every exam score will depend on the performance of the takers of that specific exam cycle. So I have no idea, I've seen a few people come up with some ideas but it's probably not precise.

FallonJ

New

Post by FallonJ » Mon May 02, 2016 9:23 am

sdimo wrote:stressing over here, too! it was my first attempt at the bar--only took NJ. I finished from NYLS in Dec 2014, so I had to work to save up for the prep course & test itself. My fear was not enough time and being out of practice of studying haha--was working FT doing doc review while studying (which will continue if I retake in July) so I was clocking maybe 5-6 study hours during the week and sleeping like 3-4 hours a night. Oh well!! Few more days! I still don't get why we get ours after NY, though, even though NJ tests a quarter of the people lol
Maybe they take longer because they try to complete the C&F before they release the results. Could be the reason but still, it's taking too long.

sdimo

New

Post by sdimo » Mon May 02, 2016 9:50 am

FallonJ wrote:
Maybe they take longer because they try to complete the C&F before they release the results. Could be the reason but still, it's taking too long.
ah, you could be right. they probably do the c&f where they can. I didn't even think of that.

Dallynana

New

Post by Dallynana » Mon May 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Anyone have any idea when the results will be posted? I keep obsessively refreshing the page :/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”