July 2016 Illinois Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Nebby

Diamond

July 2016 Illinois Bar Exam

Post by Nebby » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:47 pm

Come wallow, friends.

DON'T FORGET TO REGISTER YOUR LAPTOP
REGISTRATION PERIOD OPENS 10:00 a.m. CDT June 8, 2016 REGISTRATION PERIOD CLOSES 10:00 a.m. CDT June 22, 2016**

https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/notice.action
Last edited by Nebby on Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: July 2016 Illinois Bar Exam

Post by Nebby » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:49 pm

Yo, with regard to Section D of the application, where it says:
List all legal or law-related employment you have ever had and (excepting unpaid internships), including without limitation all temporary, part-time, full-time and self-employment, as a judge, lawyer, law clerk, intern, research assistant, paralegal, legal secretary, or other clerk or assistant, at or for any individual, lawyer, law firm, legal services office, legal clinic, partnership, corporation or other business entity, judge, court, government office, armed services, and law school. List jobs in reverse date order with current or most recent employment first.
Does this mean I don't list unpaid legal internships? I had 5 different legal internships/externships during law school, but none of them were paid.

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:23 pm

Nebby wrote:Yo, with regard to Section D of the application, where it says:
Does this mean I don't list unpaid legal internships? I had 5 different legal internships/externships during law school, but none of them were paid.
Right; if you didn't get paid, it's not applicable. I asked my application person about this.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:01 pm

criminaltheory wrote: Right; if you didn't get paid, it's not applicable. I asked my application person about this.
Thanks!!

iworkforlsac

New

Post by iworkforlsac » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:36 am

On a related note, if my non-legal employment history contains nothing over 6 months, I would be OK choosing "no" when the app asks if i were ever employed in the last 7 years, correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndbigdave

Bronze

Post by ndbigdave » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:54 am

THought I would keep this thread towards to the top as it appears Ill get my paperwork going for the July bar.

My MBE score was just high enough to transfer from Michigan (141) so my focus is just for the essays - which is great, but sucks at the same time because it is the entirely "open ended" part of the exam - can be any subject and that is what proves nerve wracking.

I attended a Michigan law school and have worked in Michigan courts/firms my entire career so IL is a brand new bag from both the law and bar exam style. I need to get my hands on IL materials - or if I really just want to mimic my Michigan prep, the barbri mini conviser which is all I utilized as a prep for the Michigan essays (thank the bar gods the examiners showed mercy)

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:54 am

bumpity bump, friends

orchidpass

New

Post by orchidpass » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:29 am

ndbigdave wrote:THought I would keep this thread towards to the top as it appears Ill get my paperwork going for the July bar.

My MBE score was just high enough to transfer from Michigan (141) so my focus is just for the essays - which is great, but sucks at the same time because it is the entirely "open ended" part of the exam - can be any subject and that is what proves nerve wracking.

I attended a Michigan law school and have worked in Michigan courts/firms my entire career so IL is a brand new bag from both the law and bar exam style. I need to get my hands on IL materials - or if I really just want to mimic my Michigan prep, the barbri mini conviser which is all I utilized as a prep for the Michigan essays (thank the bar gods the examiners showed mercy)

I'm in the same boat. So are you just getting the CMR for illinois?

dntota

New

Post by dntota » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:22 pm

anyone have a list of tested topics from february?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iworkforlsac

New

Post by iworkforlsac » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:07 am

When do we get certified for C&F l? Is it before the bar?

Adam Banks

Bronze

Post by Adam Banks » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:36 am

Anyone pulling the trigger on AdaptiBar? I'm on the fence right now.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Adam Banks wrote:Anyone pulling the trigger on AdaptiBar? I'm on the fence right now.
You mean in combination with a prep course?

Adam Banks

Bronze

Post by Adam Banks » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:29 pm

Nebby wrote:
Adam Banks wrote:Anyone pulling the trigger on AdaptiBar? I'm on the fence right now.
Yea, I'm already signed up for Barbri. Heard you gotta supplement the MBE questions from them though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Adam Banks wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Yea, I'm already signed up for Barbri. Heard you gotta supplement the MBE questions from them though.
Hmm I don't know. I'm with Themis because it's what others who passed recommended

upup away!

New

Post by upup away! » Wed May 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Hey guys, I suspect this thread will get a little more action in the coming weeks but thought I'd post here that I'm looking for someone to sublet my apartment in Chicago while I'm gone for a few weeks in June. Minimum rent as I'm franking looking for a person to study at home while sitting for my dog (which is what I did when I took the NY bar). I work at K&E in the Chicago office so also happy to answer any questions. PM me if interested!

dntota

New

Post by dntota » Fri May 13, 2016 4:36 pm

has anyone posted or know where I can find the previous topics tested & frequency?

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Sat May 14, 2016 8:50 am

Nebby wrote:
Adam Banks wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Hmm I don't know. I'm with Themis because it's what others who passed recommended
I did AdaptiBar + Themis for the July 2015 Bar and passed. If you do Themis, I recommend you NOT spend money on AdaptiBar. Every question on AdaptiBar will show up in Themis (Themis only writes its Civil Procedure questions while it leases the other questions from NCBE.)

If any of you have questions, please feel free to ask me. I'll try to respond as quickly as possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat May 14, 2016 8:55 am

sdphill wrote:
Nebby wrote:Hmm I don't know. I'm with Themis because it's what others who passed recommended
I did AdaptiBar + Themis for the July 2015 Bar and passed. If you do Themis, I recommend you NOT spend money on AdaptiBar. Every question on AdaptiBar will show up in Themis (Themis only writes its Civil Procedure questions while it leases the other questions from NCBE.)

If any of you have questions, please feel free to ask me. I'll try to respond as quickly as possible.
I was wondering if I should invest in AdaptiBar. Glad to hear I don't! Thanks for the tip

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Wed May 25, 2016 5:22 pm

orchidpass wrote:
ndbigdave wrote:THought I would keep this thread towards to the top as it appears Ill get my paperwork going for the July bar.

do you guys have any indication for how hard it is to pass the one day exam relative to the two day? in california it is definitely harder to pass the two-day vs full exam and i'm wondering if it is the same for illinois.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Wed May 25, 2016 7:32 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:
orchidpass wrote:

do you guys have any indication for how hard it is to pass the one day exam relative to the two day? in california it is definitely harder to pass the two-day vs full exam and i'm wondering if it is the same for illinois.
actually i think i may have answered my own question. according to the percentile charts from july 2015 (https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/percent ... -july-2015), essay percentiles at a score of 133 were slightly higher for the mbe than on the essays (roughly around 29 vs. 26.5 respectively).

nerdalicious05

New

Post by nerdalicious05 » Thu May 26, 2016 1:29 am

Nebby wrote:Come wallow, friends.
Have you guys used LeanSheets or SketchyLaw.com? Looking for some supplements to switch it up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mu13ski

Bronze

Post by mu13ski » Thu May 26, 2016 9:37 pm

Checking in. Using Themis. Maybe we could update the OP with logistics of the exam. i.e. date, time, exam format, which day is which, etc. I'm still a bit confused on all the different parts of the test and how they weigh ultimately in the score. What's the best strategy to take down this beast? Pound MBE practice ?'s or write out essays?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu May 26, 2016 9:42 pm

mu13ski wrote:Checking in. Using Themis. Maybe we could update the OP with logistics of the exam. i.e. date, time, exam format, which day is which, etc. I'm still a bit confused on all the different parts of the test and how they weigh ultimately in the score. What's the best strategy to take down this beast? Pound MBE practice ?'s or write out essays?
Good idea. I'll update tomorrow

dhiv23

New

Post by dhiv23 » Sun May 29, 2016 12:58 am

Hello

I am a foreign lawyer and recently moved to Illinois. I was curious about the requirement of submitting proof of 1000 hours of continous practice before the foreign courts. Is there a format in which this has to be submitted?

Dhiv

arc1138

New

Post by arc1138 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:03 am

I have all the Themis books and have the Barbri lectures and handouts.
I only have a few hours a day during the week to study. I also am thinking of taking the MLER workshop at Northwestern and possibly purchasing adaptibar.

Whats the best way to utilize my few hours with what I have?

Much appreciated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”