MBE tutoring? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
old_soul

Bronze

MBE tutoring?

Post by old_soul » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for MBE tutoring? My mbe score was atrociously low, like 115 on the bar.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Re: MBE tutoring?

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:35 pm

old_soul wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for MBE tutoring? My mbe score was atrociously low, like 115 on the bar.
I take it your studying for July 2016? B/C it's kinda late to start MBE studying for Feb imho. Anyhow, I highly suggest Adaptibar. I scored 121 last July. But I have now identified the question patterns after completing 1700+ actual past questions. I think knowing the patterns is at least half as important as "knowing" the law...maybe even slightly more important.

private message me with your email address if you need a discount code.

KTnKT

Bronze

Post by KTnKT » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:40 pm

What do you want from them in the next two weeks? Do you want them to just analyze your weaknesses, or give you problem sets or what?

What have you been doing on your own (adaptibar, barbri, themis, emmanuel)?

What jurisdiction are you in- aka, how high does it need to get to get you to pass?

Are you really weak in one area, or struggle pretty consistently across the different subjects- i.e. is it that you need to learn the black letter law better, or is it a fundamental issue on mbe tactics?

My school have professors who are happy to mentor previous students through the bar prep period. Maybe you could call your school and ask to see if any would from your school? Another option is calling to see if there is somebody in your bar prep program who could talk you through the next few weeks and help you to get the score up.

THE_U

Bronze

Post by THE_U » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:04 pm

6TimeFailure wrote:

I take it your studying for July 2016? B/C it's kinda late to start MBE studying for Feb imho. Anyhow, I highly suggest Adaptibar. I scored 121 last July. But I have now identified the question patterns after completing 1700+ actual past questions. I think knowing the patterns is at least half as important as "knowing" the law...maybe even slightly more important.

This is so important and I don't understand why this doesn't get emphasized more (maybe it does and I just haven't paid attention).

I started really seeing gains on my MBE scores once I started realizing how the issues play out in the facts. You can memorize rules all you want but if you have no idea wtf to look for in the facts, you will be lost.

kraeton

New

Post by kraeton » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:05 pm

THE_U wrote:
6TimeFailure wrote:

This is so important and I don't understand why this doesn't get emphasized more (maybe it does and I just haven't paid attention).

I started really seeing gains on my MBE scores once I started realizing how the issues play out in the facts. You can memorize rules all you want but if you have no idea wtf to look for in the facts, you will be lost.

Yeah, that's why i don't get too stressed out if i literally memorize the entire long outlines in bar prep, memorize all the rules, then get like a 50% in adaptibar for the first 30 sets. Just being exposed to how they're even asking the questions, and perhaps more importantly, the very specific ways the answers are constructed (esp. in evidence) is HUGE. After you review just the first set, it rises to 60-70%+ fairly quickly just because you're no longer exposed to something so new.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

old_soul

Bronze

Post by old_soul » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:39 pm

I'm taking the July bar. Yes, I figured that knowing how the answers are constructed and the patterns is a huge part of testing well on the MBE. Would people say that Adaptibar does it best or should I go with the PMBR? Any advice? I definitely think for me it was feeling like the answers all had a logic game component to it on the bar last year.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:52 pm

I will say that many (if not the majority) of MBE questions/answer choices are intentionally trying to fuck over the test-taker to varying degrees. It has subtle nuances that tempts the test-taker to choose an answer based on common misconceptions the student picked up during law school. At the same time, there are some questions that are "easy" and pretty obvious...so if you over-analyze the question in fear of being fucked over by a subtle nuance, you could answer it wrong.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:55 pm

In my opinion, Adaptibar is the best and cheapest way to attack the MBE. I don;t have much experience with PMBR though...didn't they get bought out by Kaplan? I have some of their MBE books but haven't completed them more than 20% the last time I took the test.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”