Do I need to take two bar exams? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
onionz

Bronze

Do I need to take two bar exams?

Post by onionz » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:07 pm

Seeking TLS wisdom, beyond what I've found in search so far.

Job at BigLaw in NYC after graduation. I eventually want to go to MA, which looks like allows admission to the bar on motion after 5 years of work. But I haven't figured out from Googling if that's a reasonable avenue or not. I'd prefer not to take two bar exams this summer, and I feel like it might signal weird things to my firm if I get barred in a state they don't have an office in (though I guess they don't have to know?). Just trying to figure out from someone who has made the move if I need to be thinking about this or not.

Thanks!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Re: Do I need to take two bar exams?

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:35 pm

I don't think it signals anything weird, but can you even take NY and MA in the same test period?
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovetheatre

New

Re: Do I need to take two bar exams?

Post by ilovetheatre » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:24 am

Desert Fox wrote:I don't think it signals anything weird, but can you even take NY and MA in the same test period?
You can. NY is Tues/Wed and MA is Wed/Thurs. Take the first two days in NY, the third day in MA, and transfer to MBE score to MA.
onionz wrote:Seeking TLS wisdom, beyond what I've found in search so far.

Job at BigLaw in NYC after graduation. I eventually want to go to MA, which looks like allows admission to the bar on motion after 5 years of work. But I haven't figured out from Googling if that's a reasonable avenue or not. I'd prefer not to take two bar exams this summer, and I feel like it might signal weird things to my firm if I get barred in a state they don't have an office in (though I guess they don't have to know?). Just trying to figure out from someone who has made the move if I need to be thinking about this or not.

Thanks!
MA, often called Passachusetts, is fairly easy to pass. Generally, you study for NY and then wing MA. If you do well enough on the MBE, you could score in the bottom 1% in MA and still pass. My friends and I were a bit stressed because we had not even glanced at MA law since it was more important we pass in our other states, but we all passed both on the first try.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”