Hotels For Feb 2016 California Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Hotels For Feb 2016 California Exam

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:37 pm

I think it quite strange that the Pasadena Hilton is fully booked for the Feb exam. I stayed there the last two times and I was able to book a room just 1 month before the exam.

Anyhow, I choose Sacramento this time. The bar exam group code for The Residence Inn is: SBCSBCA. It's a decent discount ($209/night), versus the $300+/night rack rate which is totally insane.

lulyer123

New

Re: Hotels For Feb 2016 California Exam

Post by lulyer123 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:06 am

airbnb

fadedsunrise

Bronze

Post by fadedsunrise » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:11 pm

Related question: is a hotel that much of an edge?

I commuted everyday for July 2015 from about 20 miles away because I couldn't afford the hotels and my friends were taking it elsewhere. I found it to be ok as long as I caffeinated and ate healthy (mostly salads/paleo). I'm usually a morning person who wakes up around 6:30am for work without an alarm, so for the bar 5:30am was not too much of an adjustment. I took it at Century City and enjoyed walking around the mall in the evening for a bit before going back into the idea of taking it another day.

I still can't afford the Century City hotels for 3 days but am wondering if I should maybe switch to Ontario so I can get a hotel, or stick to Century City.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:27 pm

fadedsunrise wrote:Related question: is a hotel that much of an edge?

I commuted everyday for July 2015 from about 20 miles away because I couldn't afford the hotels and my friends were taking it elsewhere. I found it to be ok as long as I caffeinated and ate healthy (mostly salads/paleo). I'm usually a morning person who wakes up around 6:30am for work without an alarm, so for the bar 5:30am was not too much of an adjustment. I took it at Century City and enjoyed walking around the mall in the evening for a bit before going back into the idea of taking it another day.

I still can't afford the Century City hotels for 3 days but am wondering if I should maybe switch to Ontario so I can get a hotel, or stick to Century City.

The Westside hotels are way too expensive. I think the Hyatt is over $300 night for the bar dates. But you seem like a morning person, so I don't think you need the hotel. I myself an not a morning person...and I live 3 hours away from a testing center.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:57 pm

fadedsunrise wrote:Related question: is a hotel that much of an edge?

If I were you, I would do Ontario. There are literally 3-4 hotels that are a 2 minute walk across the street. One of them (Country Inn by Ayres) almost shares a parking lot with the Convention Center. I can't imagine a situation that is any easier than that. There isn't that much to see, but we do have two malls that are about a 5-10 minute drive from the Convention Center if you want to unwind after the exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaiRai

New

Post by RaiRai » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:30 pm

I stayed at Pasadena Inn. About 2-3 blocks away from the convention center. Good walk to wake yourself up in the morning and reflect on the task at hand. Price was very reasonable. Room was quiet. Free wi-fi. Free breakfast. Recommended.

comet_halley

New

Post by comet_halley » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:49 pm

Don't pay a fortune for the hotel. I just found a motel last Feb in Sacramento. there are plenty of them within the walking distance of the test center. $60 a night. I also took flight from outer state. The total cost was much less compared to taking the bar exam in LA or SF. I passed the bar for the first try and a foreign LLM girl who stayed in the same motel also passed. Maybe I am not picky about hotel. But, I don't think it is a major factor.

6TimeFailure wrote:I think it quite strange that the Pasadena Hilton is fully booked for the Feb exam. I stayed there the last two times and I was able to book a room just 1 month before the exam.

Anyhow, I choose Sacramento this time. The bar exam group code for The Residence Inn is: SBCSBCA. It's a decent discount ($209/night), versus the $300+/night rack rate which is totally insane.

TGraves28

New

Post by TGraves28 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:08 am

Picking a hotel room was a big deal for me because the bay area traffic is so unpredictable and I didn't want anything to kill my mood. I ended up taking the exam in Oakland at the Oakland Marriott this July (passed on the first attempt). The room was approximately $200 a night. The exam was administered inside the hotel's ballroom. I liked being able to just roll out of bed and walk downstairs to take the exam. The hotel staff was really nice too. They gave out free wine in the hotel lobby after each exam day (I didn't get any, but many people did).

Best wishes in February!

storge

New

Post by storge » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:38 pm

Glad someone started this topic. Thanks for the info!
On a somewhat related note, for those preparing for the Feb. 2016 bar and looking for a Critical Pass Flashcard discount, use link below to get $10 off. I searched everywhere for a coupon/discount code and couldn't find one anywhere so I figured I'd share.

I got this as a referral so you have to use the link to get the discount: http://criticalpass.refr.cc/NQBJZZ7
Wish I had access to someone else's referral link before I paid full price, but didn't have any luck finding any current ones :( . Sharing the love. Anyone interested, feel free to utilize.
TGraves28 wrote:Picking a hotel room was a big deal for me because the bay area traffic is so unpredictable and I didn't want anything to kill my mood. I ended up taking the exam in Oakland at the Oakland Marriott this July (passed on the first attempt). The room was approximately $200 a night. The exam was administered inside the hotel's ballroom. I liked being able to just roll out of bed and walk downstairs to take the exam. The hotel staff was really nice too. They gave out free wine in the hotel lobby after each exam day (I didn't get any, but many people did).

Best wishes in February!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:09 pm

How do you know which location you got?

WillitBlend

New

Post by WillitBlend » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:18 am

lacrossebrother wrote:How do you know which location you got?
i got an email two days after i submitted my application that said my application was being processed and that my assigned text center was xxxx

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:23 am

Hotels.com shows pretty pricey hotels around Pasadena. Poop.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:53 am

Raiden wrote:Hotels.com shows pretty pricey hotels around Pasadena. Poop.
Pasadena is just a pricey area. Look around Arcadia since its closer, and may be a little less expensive. Actually, you should probably check areas to the west of Pasadena. I believe Eagle Rock is around there, and slightly to the west. Its not as nice as Pasadena so the rates may be a little more reasonable. Or perhaps everyone got the memo and is jacking their rates up because they all suck.

But the drive on the 210 east in the morning would be far easier than driving west.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

layaann

New

Post by layaann » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:53 pm

storge wrote:Glad someone started this topic. Thanks for the info!
On a somewhat related note, for those preparing for the Feb. 2016 bar and looking for a Critical Pass Flashcard discount, use link below to get $10 off. I searched everywhere for a coupon/discount code and couldn't find one anywhere so I figured I'd share.

I got this as a referral so you have to use the link to get the discount: http://criticalpass.refr.cc/NQBJZZ7
Wish I had access to someone else's referral link before I paid full price, but didn't have any luck finding any current ones :( . Sharing the love. Anyone interested, feel free to utilize.
TGraves28 wrote:Picking a hotel room was a big deal for me because the bay area traffic is so unpredictable and I didn't want anything to kill my mood. I ended up taking the exam in Oakland at the Oakland Marriott this July (passed on the first attempt). The room was approximately $200 a night. The exam was administered inside the hotel's ballroom. I liked being able to just roll out of bed and walk downstairs to take the exam. The hotel staff was really nice too. They gave out free wine in the hotel lobby after each exam day (I didn't get any, but many people did).

Best wishes in February!
Thanks for the code!!

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:36 am

WillitBlend wrote:
i got an email two days after i submitted my application that said my application was being processed and that my assigned text center was xxxx
Although past the date, when I registered for February 2016 bar (by initial deadline), I simultaneously booked hotels near my first and second choice test centers. I eventually ended up with my first choice, Ontario--picked due to more reasonable hotel rates. Since I was coming from IL and arriving a week beforehand (due to unpredictable winter weather), I needed a more reasonable rate because I was staying for 10 days.

AspiringCALawyer

New

Post by AspiringCALawyer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:37 am

WillitBlend wrote:
Although past the date, when I registered for February 2016 bar (by initial deadline), I simultaneously booked hotels near my first and second choice test centers. I eventually ended up with my first choice, Ontario--picked due to more reasonable hotel rates. Since I was coming from IL and arriving a week beforehand (due to unpredictable winter weather), I needed a more reasonable rate because I was staying for 10 days.

9xSound

New

Post by 9xSound » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Getting a hotel is the only way to go, whatever the cost. You've already spent thousands of dollars on law school — now isn't the time to be cheap. And you do not want to be fighting rush hour traffic 45 minutes before the exam when you could have been comfortably rehearsing your checklists over coffee in the quiet of your room before walking over to the Convention Center. The bar exam is about focus as much as anything else. Getting a room for three days near the test site will give you the maximum opportunity to stay focused on the exam by reducing the distractions that commuting and family create.

That said, spend the money for a decent room. Staying at a dive motel just because it's cheap can be risky. You don't want to be distracted by drunks shouting all night long outside your room.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”