Best place to study in NYC Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
desperate4lawschool

New

Best place to study in NYC

Post by desperate4lawschool » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:03 pm

To all NYCers: Can anyone suggest a good quiet place to study in NYC (preferably on the west side)? I cannot study at home w/ wife and kids. I cannot study at work because I already spend 12 hours a day and need a change in scenery. I cannot study in a coffeeshop/bookstore because I'm too ADHD. Has anyone rented a temporary space to study? Are there any quiet places to study, preferably with late hours, around the city? I was thinking going to the library, but they close early.... Thanks.

austinmom

New

Re: Best place to study in NYC

Post by austinmom » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:44 pm

Do you have access to a law school library, like Fordham? Even if you didn't attend, you may want to call and see if you can buy an access pass, even if just to use the space.

When I studied for NY exam I used NYU's law library (I took Pieper and we could buy a summer pass) or my own (Cardozo).

When I studied for another state's bar, I used the science industry and business library on 34th and Madison. I think they are open until 8pm two nights per week.

I think your last good bet would be either NYCLA's library way down by the trade center site or the city bar's library, not sure where it is as I'm not a member.

Good luck!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:39 pm

I know you are adverse to coffeeshops (which i totally understand) but, try to find a upscale coffee spot (i.e. Think Coffee, etc). They tend to be a bit quieter/tamer than Starbucks or other chain coffee locations.

KTnKT

Bronze

Post by KTnKT » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:39 pm

These aren't nyc specific... apologies.

Have any relatives or friends nearby? Its an imposition, but sometimes they don't mind. Just don't pick ones with kids or that'll want to chat a lot.

Next best is a law library.

Work. I know you're against it. I'm in the same boat. But when it is the better alternative to driving to a library or working around my kids, I just snag a conference room early in the am or late after most are gone. I don't use my work computer or stay at my desk because I get distracted by work. And I just can't after a certain number of hours. The conference room or cafe help me to feel like I'm somewhere different, but still have free water, bathrooms, and coffee and is open 24/7.

I've studied pretty much everywhere (regular libraries, cafes, dinners, transport terminals, parks... last night was a bar. With ear plugs, computer, books and notes all out, lol.) But none are as productive or reliable or cheap and safe as the above options.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”