Failed NY Bar (July 2015). Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
TLSaul2001

New

Re: Failed NY Bar (July 2015).

Post by TLSaul2001 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:23 pm

texas2dclawchick wrote:In terms of registering for NY again, what all do we need to do? I'm looking into the financial aspect of this and just wondering how much everything will cost.
$250 Registration plus the $100 Examsoft fee

abergavenny

New

Post by abergavenny » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:36 pm

starryski wrote:
abergavenny wrote:
Worthless1 wrote:
udonisandtrinity wrote:
Worthless1 wrote:I failed the NY Bar exam. I am devastated. My issue is timing. I did not finish the MPT because I got tripped up on the law, but all of my essays were above average. My MBE score could have been better too, but it was better than I had expected. This feeling is the worst; I feel like a failure.
You're NOT a failure. You just failed this one time. Can't breeze through life. Failures here and there are good for you in the long run. Find that inner strength and destroy the next bar exam.

Thanks for the motivation. You all at least worked full time. I studied full time, but just not hard enough. I took Barbri and watched the lectures religiously and filled out the handouts, but I should have practiced more. Memorization will only get you so far.
Taking Barbri was not for me, either. Going to a lecture room, filling out the handouts, and making outlines did not work for me. Fresh out of law school in 2011 I failed with 3 points short. I felt like I became a loser with the letter stating "failed." Then I quit on it to keep a nonlegal job. This year I chose Themis and made my own study schedule which worked fine. Someone like me who graduated quite a while ago passed. You can also pass. It is only a matter of time. Good luck.
did you study while working?
Yes, I studied while working from Feb to June.
I got panicked in July and quit the job. Weirdly speaking, there was not a single weekday I studied more than 3 hours in July.
Basically I studied for 6 months 2-3 hours weekdays & 5-7 hours weekends (really focused during the hours without any distraction) The number of hours I mentioned above does not include times like doing quiz on themis mobile app while commuting, doing several mbe Qs in interactive mode before going to bed.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:44 pm

abergavenny wrote:
starryski wrote:
abergavenny wrote:
Worthless1 wrote:
udonisandtrinity wrote:
Worthless1 wrote:I failed the NY Bar exam. I am devastated. My issue is timing. I did not finish the MPT because I got tripped up on the law, but all of my essays were above average. My MBE score could have been better too, but it was better than I had expected. This feeling is the worst; I feel like a failure.
You're NOT a failure. You just failed this one time. Can't breeze through life. Failures here and there are good for you in the long run. Find that inner strength and destroy the next bar exam.

Thanks for the motivation. You all at least worked full time. I studied full time, but just not hard enough. I took Barbri and watched the lectures religiously and filled out the handouts, but I should have practiced more. Memorization will only get you so far.
Taking Barbri was not for me, either. Going to a lecture room, filling out the handouts, and making outlines did not work for me. Fresh out of law school in 2011 I failed with 3 points short. I felt like I became a loser with the letter stating "failed." Then I quit on it to keep a nonlegal job. This year I chose Themis and made my own study schedule which worked fine. Someone like me who graduated quite a while ago passed. You can also pass. It is only a matter of time. Good luck.
I got panicked in July and quit the job. Weirdly speaking, there was not a single weekday I studied more than 3 hours in July.
Basically I studied for 6 months 2-3 hours weekdays & 5-7 hours weekends (really focused during the hours without any distraction) The number of hours I mentioned above does not include times like doing quiz on themis mobile app while commuting, doing several mbe Qs in interactive mode before going to bed.
I hope you pass next time. That sounds miserable. Good luck to you.

abergavenny

New

Post by abergavenny » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:48 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
abergavenny wrote:
starryski wrote:
abergavenny wrote:
Worthless1 wrote:
udonisandtrinity wrote:

I hope you pass next time. That sounds miserable. Good luck to you.
Passed this time with mbe 141.4. I am still waiting for NJ result.
Last edited by abergavenny on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

NY_Sea

Bronze

Post by NY_Sea » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:03 pm

This gives me hope... If people can do it with a similar schedule I set out, then let's do this thing!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:09 pm

NY_Sea wrote:This gives me hope... If people can do it with a similar schedule I set out, then let's do this thing!
same here.

another thing is that in the beginning of the summer i never imagined myself passing. i was always down on myself and really doubted my abilities. strangely, failing by only 5 points gave me some confidence. i thought i studied well but always knew it wasn't enough, but to only come with in 5, in wonder with how many points to spare i could have passed with had i applied myself 100000%.

joethomas73

New

Post by joethomas73 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm really sorry to hear some of your stories. I failed the July 2014 exam but just found out i passed the July 2015 exam. A few of you seemed to express concerns about studying while working so i just wanted to let you know what I did, and that it is doable.

I decided not to take the Febraury exam, since i was working a lot of hours, and because i failed the first time studying full time, i thought there was no way i'd pass. Eventually i committed to taking the July exam (though very hesitantly). I set out a study schedule that was supposed to start the 1st of May, however, work got extremely busy, and I just did not have the energy to do more than a cursory review of my materials during that time. Thankfully, work slowed down in July, but because time was limited, I had to drastically change my plan.

I was able to gather some great MBE outlines from friends and formulated my own attack outlines from those outlines. The generation of my own outline really helped me absorb the material very quickly (honestly the video lectures i sat through the first time are the biggest waste of time). From there, i spent about a week doing practice problems using my outlines as a crutch. I probably did upwards of 1500 practice questions over about a week and a half. I began to see patterns and for the first time, started really undertanding how the MBE worked. Once i was comfortable with the basics, I just did as many practice questions/exams as possible.

At the same time, I spent about 5 days memorizing a commercial NY essay outline. I did my best to get a basic understanding of the broad topics then spent about 3 hours a night writing essay answers from prior exams. I also spent a good deal of time learning how to write passable exam answers when i didn't know the law (the first time i took the exam, left a number of subparts of questions blank).

I don't know if this is helpful, but just wanted to tell you all what i did because i know failing is the most discouraging thing in the world, but that even while working full time, you can do it if you are focused. I spent a total of 28 days studying and felt 1000x more prepared than the first time i took the exam with about 80 days of study.

Best of luck to all who are taking in Feburary.

NYGirllaw

New

Post by NYGirllaw » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:52 pm

Hey everyone I also just failed the July bar by 10 points :cry: I just started working at a global financial services firm in house counsel in midtown and was so upset when I found out. My job is safe because I don't become an actual attorney until after one year (they don't hire first years obviously) but I plan to retake in February and study while working full time. Anyone else in the same situation? I need to devise a study plan for nights and weekends. I work 9-7pm every day. Contact me if u are doing the same thing. We will do it just a small fluke!

flashforward2

New

Post by flashforward2 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:19 pm

This post is definitely helping me feel better and bounce back. Has anyone heard of the Marino Bar Review Retaker course? They analyzed my score report and called me to discuss it today. It was actually nice to have them review my score report and tell me what went wrong. I just know I can't do Barbri again...I think I tried too hard to do so many MBE questions without understanding why I was getting certain questions wrong. All the mortgage property questions on the Bar didn't help either. We've got this in Feb.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:08 am

To those retaking, I honestly cannot recommend Adaptibar enough. I took Barbri but supplemented all of my study with Adaptibar (and critical pass flashcards). I scored 164.2 on the MBE, crediting a lot of that to Adaptibar. I distinctly remember thinking during the PM MBE session, "wow, so many of these questions feel so familiar; I've seen this before!" I recognized those questions (what felt like almost the exact same questions) from Adaptibar. Supplement with Adapatibar because it was worth its weight in gold.

bmonroe

New

Post by bmonroe » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:51 am

Phoenix7 wrote:Failed the NY bar by 10 points. I'm a May 2015 graduate of a T10 and spent my 3L living at home, commuting 1.5 hours each way to school 2X week for classes because I was the caregiver for my terminally ill mom. She passed away a few weeks after the bar exam and about a week before I started work.

Life is rough! :cry: I'm in the grieving process for my mom...I am devastated, exhausted mentally/physically/emotionally from being a caregiver (it takes a toll) and holding down a full-time job. Everyone I know studied more and passed but they weren't going through hell like I was. If I could've studied more, I would have, but my mom came first. It sucks. I really thought karma owed me one. Life's a bitch that apparently keeps kicking you while you're down.

I am planning to retake in February. I started studying last night because I knew if I didn't, I'd get too demoralized to take the exam ever again. I did BARBRI the first time (listened to all the lectures, filled out handouts, made flashcards) but really didn't have time to do many practice questions. And it showed on the MBE (my essays were fine). Anyway, for those that did BARBRI, they let you do a free retake (just click on the enroll link, put in your old username/password, and it will automatically re-enroll you for free).

I know I can pass, but some words of encouragement from you guys would be appreciated. I have no one to talk to (I know of no one who failed or had a parent dying during what was supposed to be "3LOL"). I know I should focus on myself, keep my head down and not look around me to others. But I'm frustrated! I had such a tough year while I saw everyone having fun during their last year of law school, then taking nice vacations after the bar, and now celebrating passing. It's hard not to feel crushed.
I am very sorry that you had to go through this. I had to put my dog to sleep two weeks before the exam, so I can't even imagine losing a parent during the process.
My hope for you is that you take some time out for yourself and try to enjoy life. Financially I'm not sure what you're capable of pulling off, but something simple like going to a new restaurant with a friend, a spa day maybe? Something! Self care is extremely important, especially after taking care of someone else. The bar exam is important,but it's not more important than you are. I wish you nothing but the best !

NY_Sea

Bronze

Post by NY_Sea » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:08 am

starryski wrote:
NY_Sea wrote:This gives me hope... If people can do it with a similar schedule I set out, then let's do this thing!
same here.

another thing is that in the beginning of the summer i never imagined myself passing. i was always down on myself and really doubted my abilities. strangely, failing by only 5 points gave me some confidence. i thought i studied well but always knew it wasn't enough, but to only come with in 5, in wonder with how many points to spare i could have passed with had i applied myself 100000%.
That was my problem... I got distracted a lot. Between the lectures in the morning that I really got nothing out of and my procrastination, I studied maybe 4 hours a day... And that wasn't full throttle 100% focus.

I have zero doubt that I will pass if I put serious effort into this. We've got this.

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:03 am

NY_Sea wrote:
starryski wrote:
same here.

That was my problem... I got distracted a lot. Between the lectures in the morning that I really got nothing out of and my procrastination, I studied maybe 4 hours a day... And that wasn't full throttle 100% focus.

I have zero doubt that I will pass if I put serious effort into this. We've got this.
it just sucks that i was home for 2 months and all i had to do was study for this stupid exam and this time around i have to work full-time. i should have taken advantage of this summer and i didn't. i'm so mad at myself for that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NY_Sea

Bronze

Post by NY_Sea » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:21 am

starryski wrote:
NY_Sea wrote:
starryski wrote:
same here.

it just sucks that i was home for 2 months and all i had to do was study for this stupid exam and this time around i have to work full-time. i should have taken advantage of this summer and i didn't. i'm so mad at myself for that.
Listen, I'm in the same boat... I went through phases (albeit quick ones). I was mad at everything when I first looked at the private lookup page, then I realized it was really my own fault and got very mad at myself. Now I'm just using that anger to drive me. I've been this way my whole life... This experience is going to change that for me in every aspect of my life. I'm going to put 110% into every single thing I do... And for that, I kind of thank this experience. The way I figure, if I felt I could've prepared much more and still got within 11 points, there's no reason why I can't pass if I actually apply myself.

I feel the same goes for you... It's going to suck working and studying, but I studied for and passed the patent bar while in my 3L year, so it's doable. The schedule I've made seems like it will work... 2 hrs a day after work/5-6 hours on the weekends. Works out to 20+ hrs a week(x)19 weeks till the test= 380+ hours of ACTUAL studying. That would be more than I studied when I had nothing to do but study.

Phoenix7

New

Post by Phoenix7 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:59 am

NY_Sea wrote:
starryski wrote:
NY_Sea wrote:
starryski wrote:
same here.

Listen, I'm in the same boat... I went through phases (albeit quick ones). I was mad at everything when I first looked at the private lookup page, then I realized it was really my own fault and got very mad at myself. Now I'm just using that anger to drive me. I've been this way my whole life... This experience is going to change that for me in every aspect of my life. I'm going to put 110% into every single thing I do... And for that, I kind of thank this experience. The way I figure, if I felt I could've prepared much more and still got within 11 points, there's no reason why I can't pass if I actually apply myself.

I feel the same goes for you... It's going to suck working and studying, but I studied for and passed the patent bar while in my 3L year, so it's doable. The schedule I've made seems like it will work... 2 hrs a day after work/5-6 hours on the weekends. Works out to 20+ hrs a week(x)19 weeks till the test= 380+ hours of ACTUAL studying. That would be more than I studied when I had nothing to do but study.
It's perfectly natural to want to beat yourself up over this. I'm also thinking I could've organized my schedule better, extenuating circumstances and all. So it's time to get driven and organized. It sucks now but if we study and apply ourselves, just think how rewarding getting that pass will be next spring. Let's help each other stay motivated, focused and positive. Keep our eyes on the prize.

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Phoenix7 wrote:
NY_Sea wrote:
starryski wrote:
NY_Sea wrote:
starryski wrote:
same here.

It's perfectly natural to want to beat yourself up over this. I'm also thinking I could've organized my schedule better, extenuating circumstances and all. So it's time to get driven and organized. It sucks now but if we study and apply ourselves, just think how rewarding getting that pass will be next spring. Let's help each other stay motivated, focused and positive. Keep our eyes on the prize.
YES.

btw when we pass in Feb, by when should we be getting admitted? assuming we submit our paperwork asap?

NY_Sea

Bronze

Post by NY_Sea » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:10 pm

June.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarTaker

Bronze

Post by BarTaker » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:59 pm

abergavenny wrote:Passed this time with mbe 141.4. I am still waiting for NJ result.
Surely you passed NJ too!

abergavenny

New

Post by abergavenny » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:17 pm

BarTaker wrote:
abergavenny wrote:Passed this time with mbe 141.4. I am still waiting for NJ result.
Thank you.... but I am not sure. I know a friend who passed NY but failed on NJ with 150...
As I move to NJ soon, I have been anxiously waiting for NJ result more than anything... No news yet. :(

BarTaker

Bronze

Post by BarTaker » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:49 am

abergavenny wrote:
BarTaker wrote:
Thank you.... but I am not sure. I know a friend who passed NY but failed on NJ with 150...
As I move to NJ soon, I have been anxiously waiting for NJ result more than anything... No news yet. :(
Wow! Passed NY with 150 and failed NJ? :shock: He wrote any essay or missed that day??? :?

Anyway, good luck for you! I just hope everyone receive his/her grades before Star Wars premiere! :P

starryski

Bronze

Post by starryski » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:29 pm

just registered for the feb 2016 bar exam. can't believe at all the crap i have to review again. :evil:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gottwins

New

Post by gottwins » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:38 pm

664. Missed it by one point. Could not have worked harder. My essays were actually good and another correct answer on the MBE would have changed everything. Every day it gets a tiny bit easier to accept, though. It's been almost a week since we found out and it feels like this week has gone on for a year. :cry:

Trying to decide if I should stick with the same bar review or not, since I really didn't do poorly, and how to attack it.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:29 pm

I didn't pass the July Bar. But, I know where I went wrong (lack of essay and MPT practice), so that's a start. Please weigh in on my choice of study tools:

1. Substantive review: Barbri Conviser. Suggestions welcome.
2. MBE practice: Adaptibar or Kaplan's Q bank. Who has the most realistic Civ Pro questions?
3. MPT practice: Suggestions, please?
4. Essays: How is Seperac? SmartBarPrep? Any other aids?

Thanks. Let's do this!

BarTaker

Bronze

Post by BarTaker » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:50 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:I didn't pass the July Bar. But, I know where I went wrong (lack of essay and MPT practice), so that's a start. Please weigh in on my choice of study tools:

1. Substantive review: Barbri Conviser. Suggestions welcome.
2. MBE practice: Adaptibar or Kaplan's Q bank. Who has the most realistic Civ Pro questions?
3. MPT practice: Suggestions, please?
4. Essays: How is Seperac? SmartBarPrep? Any other aids?

Thanks. Let's do this!
What I used was:

1. Substantive review: Themis, LeanSheets and some other stuff. Suggestions welcome too.
2. MBE practice: Themis. Wanting to supplement now with AdaptiBar or Kaplan's QBank? There are opinions on both sides but I guess AdaptiBar is better. That's my priority # 1!
3. MPT: Themis but I guess any book can help you. Check Amazon, eBay, Craigslist.
4. Essays: SmartBarPrep and Seperac are both excellent. Any of them can do it very well.

And more important: Practice, practice and more practice!

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Bartaker,

I found Adaptibar helpful, but not for Fed Civ Pro. Who has good practice questions on that subject?

What is the difference between Seperac and SmartBarPrep?

Yup. Practice!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”