how much do you have to study.... Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
spleenworship

Gold

how much do you have to study....

Post by spleenworship » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:50 pm

...for a bar exam in a second state when you passed by a fair amount in the first state, and they are roughly of the same difficulty?

Anyone here taken a second bar exam in another state within 3 years of their first and pass? If so, how much did you study?

I might need to move for 3-8 years to another state before I can return home, depending on where my wife goes to school and a variety of other variables.

I can't remember shit about anything but con law, crim, torts, civ pro, and crim pro. Well, and family law, but my state's family law isn't easily transferable to like 39 other states or something (civil based, not common law).

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Bronze

Re: how much do you have to study....

Post by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:17 am

I'm a class of 2012 grad. Passed NY/NJ on the first try and failed the CA this past Feb. I'm about to retake next week.

Working full-time and studying is an entirely different beast; you'll need a lot of discipline for 2-3 months.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:23 am

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:I'm a class of 2012 grad. Passed NY/NJ on the first try and failed the CA this past Feb. I'm about to retake next week.

Working full-time and studying is an entirely different beast; you'll need a lot of discipline for 2-3 months.
You might have said this in another post, but what crimped you in Feb?

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:27 am

spleenworship wrote:...for a bar exam in a second state when you passed by a fair amount in the first state, and they are roughly of the same difficulty?

Anyone here taken a second bar exam in another state within 3 years of their first and pass? If so, how much did you study?

I might need to move for 3-8 years to another state before I can return home, depending on where my wife goes to school and a variety of other variables.

I can't remember shit about anything but con law, crim, torts, civ pro, and crim pro. Well, and family law, but my state's family law isn't easily transferable to like 39 other states or something (civil based, not common law).

And, I guess before your threat is hijacked by the likes of me: Many states have reciprocity depending on various factors (i.e. standing and how long you've been licensed, where you're from, etc.).

Here's a chart: http://www.juristech.com/state-reciprocity-chart

Outside of that, I've heard from several attorneys that they often fail for lack of studying in taking a second bar. Practical knowledge does little to nothing when taking a Bar.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:31 am

This is not what I wanted to hear. The states she is looking at don't do reciprocity except for 5 years or more practice, which I don't have.

Ugh. Studying full time on top of work would be a bitch.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LAW813FL

Bronze

Post by LAW813FL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:39 am

Also depends on how the new state weighs the test. A 50% MBE could be beneficial if another 10% is some performance test. More practical knowledge and less memorizing.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:06 am

robinhoodOO wrote:
spleenworship wrote:...for a bar exam in a second state when you passed by a fair amount in the first state, and they are roughly of the same difficulty?

And, I guess before your threat is hijacked by the likes of me: Many states have reciprocity depending on various factors (i.e. standing and how long you've been licensed, where you're from, etc.).

Outside of that, I've heard from several attorneys that they often fail for lack of studying in taking a second bar. Practical knowledge does little to nothing when taking a Bar.

i dont want to detour the thread, but why in the world does NY have reciprocity with like 15 states but NOT NJ or CT?! (but PA yes?) There must be a legit reason....

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:25 pm

victortsoi wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

i dont want to detour the thread, but why in the world does NY have reciprocity with like 15 states but NOT NJ or CT?! (but PA yes?) There must be a legit reason....
States don't typically have reciprocity with states that don't have mutual reciprocity. In other words, it probably has something to do with the fact that NJ doesn't have any reciprocity.

Also, I believe their list is not entirely complete, because CT does have reciprocity with NY and vice versa: http://www.nybarexam.org/AOM/AdmissiononMotion.htm

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Bronze

Post by SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:52 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:I'm a class of 2012 grad. Passed NY/NJ on the first try and failed the CA this past Feb. I'm about to retake next week.

You might have said this in another post, but what crimped you in Feb?
It was partially because I didn't take it as seriously as I should have, but it was mainly because it's just insanely hard to study after coming home from a 9-10 hr workday. Maybe my brain would've been more receptive to learning some law after an entire day of work if I hadn't already been practicing law all day, but I'll never know. I'd come home from work everyday and be so fried that I could barely sit through some barbri lectures. However, I definitely could've taken it more seriously too. There was a week in late January where I had no work and I did some MBE questions in the office at a relaxed pace. I also worked out semi-regularly until about 2 weeks before the test. My plan was to shoot for that minimal competency line and do not an ounce of extra work beyond that. In retrospect, I would've studied frantically for a miserable two months, just to get it over with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”