Bar Exam Burnout/Working/July 2015 Help.. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
carmensandiego38

New

Bar Exam Burnout/Working/July 2015 Help..

Post by carmensandiego38 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:30 am

Bar Exam Burnout--How to Cope?

Hi, I'm a repeat taker for the July 2015, and working a standard 8:30-5 pm job as a government contractor. I've got a remote tutor who gives me 5 essays/week to do then on Saturdays gives me 3-4 more to do either due 10 pm that night or the night after. Problem is, he's been berating me today because he feels my skills have slipped and my analysis skills have actually slipped/falling into previous bad habits, when I seemed to be doing so well before. He's also been trying to reach me but I just can't/don't want to chat because I know he'll probably end up telling me I'm screwing up anyways.

Thing is, my job is on contract so I've been having to do phone interviews (to y'know, eat and have someplace to sleep). I've also had to switch my bank account because the initial one was a joint one my mother was financially abusing (ie. removing 60% of my total month's paycheck from and leaving me with little to survive on, claiming it was for savings).

So how do I avoid burnout? I'm so sick and tired of being pounded with essay questions on Saturdays and Sundays. My bar tutor keeps insinuating I'm not ready even though this is literally the best I can do. He sent me 3 essay questions at 6 pm last night for me to do by 11 pm that same night and I did them and he still says I'm not analyzing stuff enough.

Can anyone give (nice, helpful, it-gets-better advice)? I can't stand this. Or my tutor. Or just--parts of life in general X(

941law

Bronze

Re: Bar Exam Burnout/Working/July 2015 Help..

Post by 941law » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:30 am

Which State?

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:40 am

Do you feel your tutor is being overly negative?

carmensandiego38

New

Post by carmensandiego38 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:03 am

State: I don't want to disclose too much, but it's in the Eastern region of the US.
Re: tutor: He seems a bit critical/perhaps a bit much. I can't tell, maybe it's because it's 2 weeks before the big day. I've been doing essays on time, but he keeps giving me so many essays, to the point its cutting into the time I use to review notes daily.

941law

Bronze

Post by 941law » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:22 am

I was wondering how your state was graded, especially concerning essays. My advice would be to figure out which topics, within subjects, are mainly tested and then focus on the topics you feel weakest at.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

InTheWideLand I Walk

Bronze

Post by InTheWideLand I Walk » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:26 am

point 1:
just try using an absurd amount of facts in the analysis for your next essay(s) and see what happens. e.g. if the facts say "on january 21st, 11:00pm, person x said he would breach the contract by saying 'screw you im not finishing'" and you are "irac-ing" anticipatory repudiation, instead of just saying "here, person x said he would not finish the contract," just regurgitate ALL the facts and say on "her, on january 21st, 11:00pm, person x said he would breach the contract by saying 'screw you im not finishing'"

i noticed a lot of the time when people criticize an analysis, they are really just criticizing u because you didnt regurgitate enough facts. this is completely IRRATIONAL but its just the way graders think. (the entire bar exam is irrational, I could go on for days).

point 2:
who the hell cares about burning out. the bar is like less than 2 weeks away. drink a full throttle at 5:00pm at the end of work and take over the counter sleep aids mixed with melatonin to fall asleep. ur liver will be able to handle it for just a couple weeks. motrin PM has been safe for me. but use at your own risk (I had to say that- dont wanna be liable if something happens)

and also, if you take my advice, let me know what happens, please. on both points.

and yeah, shit happens during bar review. my motorcycle was knocked over and unstartable, and i got all these insane computer viruses in the same day that happened, and the person who was helping fund my living expenses just unilaterally decided to cut off all the money she was giving me at the last minute, so now i have to eat either rice, top ramen, or a tablespoon of peanut butter for breakfast, lunch, AND DINNER even during the bar. ur not alone on that point- thats all im trying to say

TXlawyer17

New

Post by TXlawyer17 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:03 am

Ways to avoid burnout (the not healthy list): energy drinks (Monster, Red Bull, etc) or pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) with coffee.

moreheesh

New

Post by moreheesh » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:43 am

Just read the above 2 posters stories...that really sucks and I'm sorry everyone is making this exam harder on you that it already is

Uk_Law15

New

Post by Uk_Law15 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:56 am

InTheWideLand I Walk wrote:
and yeah, shit happens during bar review. my motorcycle was knocked over and unstartable, and i got all these insane computer viruses in the same day that happened, and the person who was helping fund my living expenses just unilaterally decided to cut off all the money she was giving me at the last minute, so now i have to eat either rice, top ramen, or a tablespoon of peanut butter for breakfast, lunch, AND DINNER even during the bar. ur not alone on that point- thats all im trying to say
That sounds awful. Hope things work out ok for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

InTheWideLand I Walk

Bronze

Post by InTheWideLand I Walk » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Uk_Law15 wrote:

it is working out, thanks. motorcycle is back up and repaired, asked my boss for a big advance at work so now I have money, and the computer will be fixed today or tmrw. last time I took the bar my examsoft crashed during the exam so I wanna make sure these viruses are gone before I install it. the viruses I have now are where my computer crashes randomly, especially when I upload/download things from internet or do anything involving the internet.

Calicakes

Bronze

Post by Calicakes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:50 am

Uk_Law15 wrote:

it is working out, thanks. motorcycle is back up and repaired, asked my boss for a big advance at work so now I have money, and the computer will be fixed today or tmrw. last time I took the bar my examsoft crashed during the exam so I wanna make sure these viruses are gone before I install it. the viruses I have now are where my computer crashes randomly, especially when I upload/download things from internet or do anything involving the internet.

You're going to pass this time. You're very prePared. And anytime you want a home cooked meal, you're more than welcome. We wanted to feed you last night after we studied. 1 week to go. Hang in

carmensandiego38

New

Post by carmensandiego38 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks for the perspective. Just some extra updates/etc...
Also, the tutor's pressuring me to call him, and I know he'll just yell. He already asked me why I want to become an attorney if I can't analyze essays as much as he likes. I guess I know I need the push but I'm burned out and really want to spend my late-night hours going to a film festival instead of hacking away at this.
And thing is--I don't want billable hours. I don't want to practice in a firm at all. The tutor wants me to take 1 wk off to study but I can't afford to so I'm not. The only reason I decided to retake was b/c I was underemployed last year and my mom threatened to financially disown me so I signed up to retake this monster behemoth. Except, I changed direct deposit so now I don't have to worry about my mom garnishing my wages/financial abuse etc.
Ugh. I need happy thoughts. I hate being verbally thrashed by my tutor daily.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:48 pm

carmensandiego38 wrote:Thanks for the perspective. Just some extra updates/etc...
Also, the tutor's pressuring me to call him, and I know he'll just yell. He already asked me why I want to become an attorney if I can't analyze essays as much as he likes. I guess I know I need the push but I'm burned out and really want to spend my late-night hours going to a film festival instead of hacking away at this.
And thing is--I don't want billable hours. I don't want to practice in a firm at all. The tutor wants me to take 1 wk off to study but I can't afford to so I'm not. The only reason I decided to retake was b/c I was underemployed last year and my mom threatened to financially disown me so I signed up to retake this monster behemoth. Except, I changed direct deposit so now I don't have to worry about my mom garnishing my wages/financial abuse etc.
You're paying this guy?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

InTheWideLand I Walk

Bronze

Post by InTheWideLand I Walk » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Calicakes wrote:
Uk_Law15 wrote:

You're going to pass this time. You're very prePared. And anytime you want a home cooked meal, you're more than welcome. We wanted to feed you last night after we studied. 1 week to go. Hang in
thanks Calicakes, I think so to. I just gotta make sure I wake up on time and finish the exam now.

carmensandiego38

New

Post by carmensandiego38 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:31 pm

@mr.hands: yes, the equivalent of 2 and a half weeks’ paycheck, or twice the amount one makes at a semi-decent paying full time internship.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:34 pm

carmensandiego38 wrote:Thanks for the perspective. Just some extra updates/etc...
What a dick
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carmensandiego38

New

Post by carmensandiego38 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Danger Zone: Thanks for the input. Maybe I’m incredibly incompetent at essay-writing. I didn’t know if it was him or just me. I’ve spent hours reviewing and the dude still hates my guts. And thinks I’m incompetent. He has no idea just how stretched thin to the breaking point I am...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:52 pm

carmensandiego38 wrote:Danger Zone: Thanks for the input. Maybe I’m incredibly incompetent at essay-writing. I didn’t know if it was him or just me. I’ve spent hours reviewing and the dude still hates my guts. And thinks I’m incompetent. He has no idea just how stretched thin to the breaking point I am...
Your incompetence notwithstanding, this is the time to be supportive. All of us bar takers are knots of anxiety at this point.

Try not to stress too much. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carmensandiego38

New

Post by carmensandiego38 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks @DangerZone.
For the time being up until the exam, I blocked my tutor's emails so I could concentrate further on reviewing my notes and gaining perhaps a modicum of sanity.
Also dealing with a close friend telling me she just got engaged after 2.5 years of dating a guy who kicked her out of his house last year b/c he wasn't interested in seeing her anymore (and to complicate things, she was on a green card so she had to leave the country). So technically, she's been seeing him 2 years. 50% excited for her, 30% "are you sure" and 20% mix of envy, bar exam stress, and what-have-you. But I have a supportive person in my life, for whom I am quite grateful..

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:02 pm

carmensandiego38 wrote:Thanks @DangerZone.
For the time being up until the exam, I blocked my tutor's emails so I could concentrate further on reviewing my notes and gaining perhaps a modicum of sanity.
Also dealing with a close friend telling me she just got engaged after 2.5 years of dating a guy who kicked her out of his house last year b/c he wasn't interested in seeing her anymore (and to complicate things, she was on a green card so she had to leave the country). So technically, she's been seeing him 2 years. 50% excited for her, 30% "are you sure" and 20% mix of envy, bar exam stress, and what-have-you. But I have a supportive person in my life, for whom I am quite grateful..
Nothing else exists in your world right now except for the Bar Exam. Activate your tunnel vision and go.

Lobolaw1984

New

Post by Lobolaw1984 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:10 am

Hahah that guy sounds like a complete jackass. Who approaches adult education like that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”