Need to improve MBE - Adaptibar or 3 day final review? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
antlp

New

Need to improve MBE - Adaptibar or 3 day final review?

Post by antlp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi guys -

I scored 110 on BarBri's simulated MBE in NY today and would like to boost my MBE score. I got this score after completing less than 25% of my PSP (I've been keeping up with the lectures but have only reviewed maybe 40% of them, and I've only done a handful of assignments - a couple subject-specific MPQ's, and the two 50-question MPQs that were assigned this weekend... yeah I'm lazy), so I know I can improve if I put in the time. I plan on spending more time reviewing the material (via Critical Pass) and actually memorizing the rules, but I'd definitely benefit from more dedicated practice too.

Anyone have thoughts on whether Adaptibar or a 3 day final review course (e.g. from Kaplan or PMBR) would be more helpful at this point? Cost is not a concern for me, but time is. Based on what I've read, I'm inclined to think that Adaptibar will probably be the best use of my time (more realistic questions, analytics & drilling problem areas, etc.) but if please let me know y'all have any thoughts on that. I figure I still have a couple practice exams in the BarBri book if I want to do two more timed full length practice exams, which is basically what Kaplan or PMBR would give me. And "analysis" lectures seem like a waste of time at this point.

Thanks in advance!

scaliaantics

Bronze

Re: Need to improve MBE - Adaptibar or 3 day final review?

Post by scaliaantics » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:16 pm

antlp wrote:Hi guys -

I scored 110 on BarBri's simulated MBE in NY today and would like to boost my MBE score. I got this score after completing less than 25% of my PSP (I've been keeping up with the lectures but have only reviewed maybe 40% of them, and I've only done a handful of assignments - a couple subject-specific MPQ's, and the two 50-question MPQs that were assigned this weekend... yeah I'm lazy), so I know I can improve if I put in the time. I plan on spending more time reviewing the material (via Critical Pass) and actually memorizing the rules, but I'd definitely benefit from more dedicated practice too.

Anyone have thoughts on whether Adaptibar or a 3 day final review course (e.g. from Kaplan or PMBR) would be more helpful at this point? Cost is not a concern for me, but time is. Based on what I've read, I'm inclined to think that Adaptibar will probably be the best use of my time (more realistic questions, analytics & drilling problem areas, etc.) but if please let me know y'all have any thoughts on that. I figure I still have a couple practice exams in the BarBri book if I want to do two more timed full length practice exams, which is basically what Kaplan or PMBR would give me. And "analysis" lectures seem like a waste of time at this point.

Thanks in advance!
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. If you're at a 110 now with only 25% completion, you're going to be just fine.

Notmyfavbar

New

Post by Notmyfavbar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks in advance!
that's pretty awesome for not studying as much as you think you should. I wish i scored a 110 on mine haha. but, I have the critical pass cards and I've used them for almost all the subjects except for crim law/pro and they're pretty fucking dope. i just need to review them more. i wish they made those cards for the NY subjects!

antlp

New

Post by antlp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:06 pm

scaliaantics wrote:

Thanks in advance!
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. If you're at a 110 now with only 25% completion, you're going to be just fine.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! You're probably right -- I was freaking out after seeing all these 120+ scores people were posting in the BarBri hangout thread :/

antlp

New

Post by antlp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Notmyfavbar wrote: that's pretty awesome for not studying as much as you think you should. I wish i scored a 110 on mine haha. but, I have the critical pass cards and I've used them for almost all the subjects except for crim law/pro and they're pretty fucking dope. i just need to review them more. i wish they made those cards for the NY subjects!
Thanks!

Agree re: Critical Pass cards & having them for NY. The CMR distinctions outlines are completely useless, IMO. I need something with more digestible snippets (a la Critical Pass) that focuses on the small handful of distinctions that actually matter. I feel like the CMR goes into WAY too much detail on stuff we don't have to know (true of everything, but especially for NY distinctions). I'm trying to make my own list of top 5 distinctions or whatever for each subject but it's been slow going.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TXlawyer17

New

Post by TXlawyer17 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:50 pm

Critical Pass (http://criticalpass.refr.cc/NHSN2MW) and Adaptibar (or Barmax if you're on a budget and have a connection to an iOS device). Emanuel's MBE Strategies & Tactics is also very good with tons of tips and practice questions.

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:59 pm

Critical Pass and Adaptibar

MaroPolo

New

Post by MaroPolo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Neve wrote:Critical Pass and Adaptibar
I got both, but basically junked Critical Pass after a couple weeks. Just Adaptibar. Up to 1300+ questions now. If there is a nuance I haven't seen after doing all those questions, it's probably not going to inhibit my score much.

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:18 pm

Our Kaplan rep claims that, in an average year, 20-30 (out of 200) of the questions from Kaplan's final review actually show up on the bar exam -- some names might be changed, but they're the same issues. I've heard some others say that some of the issues seem to carry over too. Kaplan actually modifies their final review every year to try to predict the testers, I think.

I don't know if that helps sway you one way or the other, but I thought Kaplan's final review was pretty good. Probably not worth $400-500 though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:26 am

odoylerulez wrote:Our Kaplan rep claims that, in an average year, 20-30 (out of 200) of the questions from Kaplan's final review actually show up on the bar exam -- some names might be changed, but they're the same issues. I've heard some others say that some of the issues seem to carry over too. Kaplan actually modifies their final review every year to try to predict the testers, I think.

I don't know if that helps sway you one way or the other, but I thought Kaplan's final review was pretty good. Probably not worth $400-500 though.
Same is most likely true for Barbri's MBE prep...I remember a few "familiar" questions on the real MBE.

blueapple08

New

Post by blueapple08 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:33 pm

philippian413 wrote:PM me and I will give an Adaptibar discount code.
You're about a year too late.

calbarrepeater

New

Post by calbarrepeater » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:42 pm

I am no superstar when it comes to mbes, but I am a repeater, a multiple repeater. I can tell you that whether its adaptibar, barbri, pmbr, Kaplan or bestmultis.com, 70%-80% of the same issues will be on the mbe exam. I am not saying the same questions or the same fact pattern. What I am saying is the "Same Issues". will show up on the exam. So, what does that mean for people taking the exam. That just means you have to learn the issues on your practice mbe's. For the easy ones or questions, you knew what the answer was, you don't need to review those. But, for the questions you get wrong you need to review the issues, the law and the fact pattern over and over and over and over. Review them as if you were trying to memorize the law. When a student tries to memorize the law, the student doesn't read it once and never look at it again. The student reads and reads and reads until he or she gets it. That's the same tactic you should use with the mbe questions you missed. Somehow make a note of those questions and review them and review them and review them and review them. Of course the exam is only 200 questions and most mbe courses are 1500-2000 questions. However, from those couple of thousand questions, you will see 70-80% of the same issues you had on your practice mbe's. So, keep reading those questions you miss over and over and over. When you read them, think about what the fact pattern stated and think about the explanation and what it is trying to explain. The more you visualize the explanation, the facts and the rule of law for each question you miss, the more you will understand it and the better you will get at it. Also, try and do some questions using a different course to see if your practice is making a difference and to try questions worded a little different. IF ANYONE OUT THERE TRIES THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW IT IS WORKING FOR YOU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”