NY Bar Character and Fitness Questions Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gabewatch

Bronze

NY Bar Character and Fitness Questions

Post by gabewatch » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:45 pm

I've got a few questions regarding the NY Character and Fitness Application. Any info into the process would be appreciated, especially from people who have gone through the process. I would imagine my questions are not so unique. I'm taking the July bar, but glanced at the application the other day and thought I might as well start trying to figure out what I need to do to submit a strong application.

1. Regarding non-legal employment history: Prior to law school I worked 3 jobs outside the U.S. in the restaurant industry. These gigs were while I was in college and shortly after I graduated, and were mostly part time. Given that they were about 7 or 8 years ago, I'm somewhat concerned that if they were contacted by the Board of Examiners, whoever they speak to might not remember or even have knowledge that I ever worked there.

So, should I contact these places to let them know that they might receive a phone call from the Board of Examiners?

When I list a phone number for the employer, should I list a number to my supervisor (if available) rather than the general restaurant line?

2. Regarding the affidavit of "good moral character." There seem to be restrictions on using the people I would have thought to use (no law school faculty, no people from your legal employment).

Is it acceptable to use peers/friends? I've got other people my age in the professional world like doctors for example. Would that be sufficient? I'm not really sure who else the Board is expecting to receive these affidavits from.

Thanks

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”