Food intake/training for the bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RaiRai

New

Food intake/training for the bar

Post by RaiRai » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:42 pm

Right now as I am reviewing for the bar, I find myself constantly munching on food (chips, chocolate, peanuts, whatever) and drinking coffee all throughout the day. I know I gotta stop and take care of my health so I don't get sick. But not only that and maybe more importantly, I've been told I should train my body to take food only in the morning, at lunch and evening so as to simulate testing conditions and that I should take food/drinks that would enable me to have the endurance to effectively get through the entire testing day for 3 straight days. (I've been also told to train myself to go to the restroom only at nights.)

Any tips/recommendations for the type of food (protein, shakes, etc.) and maybe supplements? or is this all BS? Thanks.

nvbar2015

New

Re: Food intake/training for the bar

Post by nvbar2015 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:48 pm

I ate protein bars on all three days of testing for NV, in addition to eating a big breakfast and lunch each day. Good luck bringing in a protein shaker lol.

I would definitely recommend cutting the caffeine though. If you're tired enough to need coffee (other than your morning wake up cup) you should take a power nap. I drank one cup of coffee in the morning before heading to the testing center each day and that was good enough for me.

sundontshine

Bronze

Post by sundontshine » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Work out for an hour or so a day and you should be fine.

lol @ "training" yourself into a certain bathroom schedule for the bar exam.

RaiRai

New

Post by RaiRai » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:56 am

Thanks for the responses. Definitely getting a box of protein bars from Costco. I also started doing light exercises.

Lots of sites giving lists of brain food for exam takers. I just don't know if it's prohibited to post links here. Anyway, they mention oily fish, lean protein, wholegrains, blueberries, walnuts/nuts, eggs, coffee (in moderation), green tea, dark chocolate, avocados. I also read that the act of chewing while studying increases concentration. On test day, they say eat a balanced breakfast (half carbs, half protein) such as yogurt, eggs, sausage, fruit, oatmeal, wholegrain toast and coffee. No pancakes. Same with lunch. Those who take water throughout the exams score higher supposedly. Lastly, no drastic change in diet. Has to be gradual.

nvbar2015

New

Post by nvbar2015 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:47 am

RaiRai wrote: Lots of sites giving lists of brain food for exam takers. I just don't know if it's prohibited to post links here. Anyway, they mention oily fish, lean protein, wholegrains, blueberries, walnuts/nuts, eggs, coffee (in moderation), green tea, dark chocolate, avocados. I also read that the act of chewing while studying increases concentration. On test day, they say eat a balanced breakfast (half carbs, half protein) such as yogurt, eggs, sausage, fruit, oatmeal, wholegrain toast and coffee. No pancakes. Same with lunch. Those who take water throughout the exams score higher supposedly. Lastly, no drastic change in diet. Has to be gradual.
You should be eating like that and exercising as part of your normal routine. It shouldn't be something you just do because you have a big test.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

duskfall

New

Post by duskfall » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:23 am

RaiRai wrote:Right now as I am reviewing for the bar, I find myself constantly munching on food (chips, chocolate, peanuts, whatever) and drinking coffee all throughout the day. I know I gotta stop and take care of my health so I don't get sick. But not only that and maybe more importantly, I've been told I should train my body to take food only in the morning, at lunch and evening so as to simulate testing conditions and that I should take food/drinks that would enable me to have the endurance to effectively get through the entire testing day for 3 straight days. (I've been also told to train myself to go to the restroom only at nights.)

Any tips/recommendations for the type of food (protein, shakes, etc.) and maybe supplements? or is this all BS? Thanks.
Do not eat only protein bars. You should eat something enough not to stress you out. Don't eat heavy food or you'll feel sleepy.

It's crazy to only go bathroom at nights. You should, however limit your water intake hours before the exam. Have everything planned out. Simulate test day

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:14 pm

I survived on chicken salad sandwiches from Chick Fil-A, Cliff bars, and coffee during the last month of bar study - and I passed. Personally, I love the Bolthouse drinks - their carrot juice is delicious and energizing and they carry a great chocolate protein shake. I think Bolthouse drinks would be great to add to your food regimen for bar study.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:19 pm

I guzzled water and peed at least twice during every testing session and passed with flying colors. ... I actually welcomed getting up and walking around. (I'm sure my neighbors hated me ... whatever.)

Training yourself only to pee at night is insane. You don't need to be overflowing with liquids (like I was) but you certainly don't want to be dehydrated, which is what you'd be doing.

Eat healthy. Fun stuff in moderation. Drink every now and then. Work out. You'll be fine.

Many bars do let you have snacks, with certain restrictions, FYI.

atlien

New

Post by atlien » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:35 pm

RaiRai wrote:Right now as I am reviewing for the bar, I find myself constantly munching on food (chips, chocolate, peanuts, whatever) and drinking coffee all throughout the day. I know I gotta stop and take care of my health so I don't get sick. But not only that and maybe more importantly, I've been told I should train my body to take food only in the morning, at lunch and evening so as to simulate testing conditions and that I should take food/drinks that would enable me to have the endurance to effectively get through the entire testing day for 3 straight days. (I've been also told to train myself to go to the restroom only at nights.)

For about two months, I was drinking green smoothies almost daily with lots of spinach and kale. Avoid too much added sugar so you don't crash. For the last 2 or so weeks, I started adding green tea to my smoothies for my caffeine because it was the only way I could stay alert for the necessary 10-12 hours each day. Coffee was unreliable. I'd either be really jittery, really sleepy and it had no effect, or it would actually work properly. I felt green tea gave me a normal boost that I needed. I also worked out regularly (generally once a day) to help boost my energy in the afternoons.

I cut back on eating out and delivery quite a bit, and I got my groceries and easy prep meals from Freshdirect (e.g. stir fry kits). Ordering my groceries saved a ton of time and hassle.

For the test days, I stayed in a hotel that had continental breakfast and packed a whole bag of groceries and a couple of frozen smoothies. I had a room with a fridge (I asked the hotel beforehand if it had one), and kept it healthy, but substantial. You want protein and lots of greens. I packed snacks like hummus and greek yogurt and some healthy frozen dinners from freshdirect (my room also had a microwave). I had planned ahead to eat out once or twice to treat myself during the exam period. So the night we finished the essays, I splurged for dinner and ordered delivery with fried food that would make me happy haha. You don't want to be miserable studying, so treat yourself sometimes! Depending on how your body reacts to it, perhaps some carbs would be beneficial as well (for some people it makes them more tired, for others, it provides needed energy).

On test day, I packed a couple of protein bars and fruit for the period in the exam room. I also packed my own lunches (I think I had pasta one day and salad with grilled chicken and quinoa on another). You want stuff that will taste good without having to be reheated.

I also took echinacea frequently because I don't have the best immune system. Stress makes you more susceptible to viruses, and I wanted to prevent any opportunity for me to get sick during that particularly stressful period.

I had never been so disciplined in my life lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:49 pm

Not sure if in all states, but PA now PROHIBITS any food during the test.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:16 pm

What the fuck is wrong with you guys

Just eat drink and pee like regular fucking humans

artistar

New

Post by artistar » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:55 pm

Danger Zone wrote:What the fuck is wrong with you guys

^Agreed. Also, Jesus H. Christ this thread is insane. Eating healthy is one thing, but training yourself to only pee at night? You are going to give yourself a UTI.

RaiRai

New

Post by RaiRai » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks for all the suggestions.
artistar wrote:

^Agreed. Also, Jesus H. Christ this thread is insane. Eating healthy is one thing, but training yourself to only pee at night? You are going to give yourself a UTI.
I was actually told to do business no. 2 at nights :oops: but yeah, holding your pee WOULD be insane.

On the other hand, occasional Restroom breaks seem like a good way to slow yourself down and take a breather
dudders wrote:I guzzled water and peed at least twice during every testing session and passed with flying colors. ... I actually welcomed getting up and walking around. (I'm sure my neighbors hated me ... whatever.)
atlien wrote: For about two months, I was drinking green smoothies almost daily with lots of spinach and kale. Avoid too much added sugar so you don't crash. For the last 2 or so weeks, I started adding green tea to my smoothies for my caffeine because it was the only way I could stay alert for the necessary 10-12 hours each day. Coffee was unreliable. I'd either be really jittery, really sleepy and it had no effect, or it would actually work properly. I felt green tea gave me a normal boost that I needed. I also worked out regularly (generally once a day) to help boost my energy in the afternoons.

I cut back on eating out and delivery quite a bit, and I got my groceries and easy prep meals from Freshdirect (e.g. stir fry kits). Ordering my groceries saved a ton of time and hassle.

For the test days, I stayed in a hotel that had continental breakfast and packed a whole bag of groceries and a couple of frozen smoothies. I had a room with a fridge (I asked the hotel beforehand if it had one), and kept it healthy, but substantial. You want protein and lots of greens. I packed snacks like hummus and greek yogurt and some healthy frozen dinners from freshdirect (my room also had a microwave). I had planned ahead to eat out once or twice to treat myself during the exam period. So the night we finished the essays, I splurged for dinner and ordered delivery with fried food that would make me happy haha. You don't want to be miserable studying, so treat yourself sometimes! Depending on how your body reacts to it, perhaps some carbs would be beneficial as well (for some people it makes them more tired, for others, it provides needed energy).

On test day, I packed a couple of protein bars and fruit for the period in the exam room. I also packed my own lunches (I think I had pasta one day and salad with grilled chicken and quinoa on another). You want stuff that will taste good without having to be reheated.

I also took echinacea frequently because I don't have the best immune system. Stress makes you more susceptible to viruses, and I wanted to prevent any opportunity for me to get sick during that particularly stressful period.

I had never been so disciplined in my life lol.
Neve wrote:I survived on chicken salad sandwiches from Chick Fil-A, Cliff bars, and coffee during the last month of bar study - and I passed. Personally, I love the Bolthouse drinks - their carrot juice is delicious and energizing and they carry a great chocolate protein shake. I think Bolthouse drinks would be great to add to your food regimen for bar study.
Gotta look more into healthy smoothies and veggie juices here in LA. Not sure if we have Freshdirect. I don't have a juicer either. Maybe a visit to Trader Joe's or Sprouts.

So far i've been jogging first thing every morning (on leave without pay). Morning sun feels really good and invigorating. Plus, it makes me think (reflect?) what my goals are. At home, i have to have my morning coffee or i get a headache. Light breakfast like toast. In between study periods, instead of another cup of coffee, i've been trying green tea. I've cut back on chips. Deli or chicken sandwich for lunch but nothing heavy. When I feel that energy is low, I munch on a protein bar and some fruit. After a session of MBEs, i treat myself to a chocolate bar as a prize. :D Echinacea and other supplements sounds like a good idea since also i get sick easily. For dinner, i kinda eat anything but not a lot. Man, watching my diet can feel kinda unnatural at times. If I get that feeling, i run to In and Out. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

americanphaoah

New

Post by americanphaoah » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:55 pm

artistar wrote:

i have to respectfully disagree.

for me, urination management was a part of my bar exam preparation, albeit not a critical one.

indeed, in my experience, when nature called, there was nothing worse than coming across a rough water rights MBE question percolating about 2 hours into a 3-hour session. i found this to be a common enemy, and a natural flow approach to such a situation simply wouldn't suffice.

so, during study, i trained myself to go wee-wee at roughly 12:15 and 4:15 each day (thus, right after each testing session). this potty training provided invaluable peace of mind during each day of the exam.

and, for the record, it worked out quite well. highly recommend.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:09 pm

americanphaoah wrote:
artistar wrote:

for me, urination management was a part of my bar exam preparation, albeit not a critical one.

indeed, in my experience, when nature called, there was nothing worse than coming across a rough water rights MBE question percolating about 2 hours into a 3-hour session. i found this to be a common enemy, and a natural flow approach to such a situation simply wouldn't suffice.

so, during study, i trained myself to go wee-wee at roughly 12:15 and 4:15 each day (thus, right after each testing session). this potty training provided invaluable peace of mind during each day of the exam.

Just your daily reminder that law students are still the same neurotic weirdos even after graduating

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:15 pm

americanphaoah wrote:
artistar wrote:

Nope. Don't have this problem. You must piss like a racehorse.

artistar

New

Post by artistar » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:17 pm

Why don't you just all wear diapers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

atlien

New

Post by atlien » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:57 pm

americanphaoah wrote:
artistar wrote:

wow (aspiring) lawyers think of everything. i never thought to do this. until this, didn't even know it was possible to "potty train" as an adult.

i must say, if you're this prepared in life, you have a strong chance of being a great lawyer, haha.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:05 pm

Don't eat only protein bars during the day if you aren't used to it. You would probably shit yourself, or at the very least be incredibly distracted by gastro distress. Also, buy Quest protein bars. Most others are much harder to digest.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:47 pm

I'm probably going to make this thread worse but:
http://abovethelaw.com/2015/02/which-st ... -bar-exam/

I found this by googling "astronaut diapers bar exam."

You're welcome.

TXlawyer17

New

Post by TXlawyer17 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:17 pm

I take one capsule of echinacea with goldenseal daily and would recommend it to others who are looking to strengthen their immune systems. I've taken it daily for nearly two years now and I've only been sick once despite enormous stress in my life (bar exam, job hunt, family problems, etc).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

doctoroflaw91

Bronze

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:43 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Don't eat only protein bars during the day if you aren't used to it. You would probably shit yourself, or at the very least be incredibly distracted by gastro distress. Also, buy Quest protein bars. Most others are much harder to digest.

Gonna second the Quest Bars. Also, if you're looking to make them into a dessert that's packed with protein, unwrap the bar, stick it on a plate, and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds. Eat and experience the magic. I find that the heating is best done with either cookie dough, cookies n' cream, or double chocolate chunk.

paraguayfargus

New

Post by paraguayfargus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:51 am

One of the bar prep books I read mentioned supplements that can give your brain a tiny boost. I've been following the advice and think it has been helojng, but hell, it may just be a placebo.

DesperadoOfColumbia

New

Post by DesperadoOfColumbia » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:52 am

Slight derail but I think everyone should at least go to the doctor's right before to make sure that there isn't something that's gonna pop up in the 2-3 days suddenly. I went for a routine checkup last week and found that I was developing an upper respiratory infection (not quite into Bronchitisland) possibly with me having the AC on at night as part of the reason as well as the constant riding of NYC subways and busses. If I got full blown bronchitis during the bar, oh hell...

RaiRai

New

Post by RaiRai » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:13 pm

doctoroflaw91 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Don't eat only protein bars during the day if you aren't used to it. You would probably shit yourself, or at the very least be incredibly distracted by gastro distress. Also, buy Quest protein bars. Most others are much harder to digest.

Gonna second the Quest Bars. Also, if you're looking to make them into a dessert that's packed with protein, unwrap the bar, stick it on a plate, and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds. Eat and experience the magic. I find that the heating is best done with either cookie dough, cookies n' cream, or double chocolate chunk.
Ordered a box of Zone nutribars (cookies n creme cookie dough). they seem melted already (maybe it's the CA heat) but they are good.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”