Bar Exam Supplements? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
chrisz1423

New

Bar Exam Supplements?

Post by chrisz1423 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:58 am

Hi everyone. First time poster! I am a midwest graduate taking the July Bar. I'm taking Kaplan's course, but it's the online version and I feel like I could use some supplemental help. Does anyone know if books like "The Bar Exam is Easy" or "The Bar Exam Trainer" are helpful? They're only a few bucks each, so I guess low risk either way. And as far as non-content coaching, has anyone had any luck with that? Thank you so much!

paulshortys10

Silver

Re: Bar Exam Supplements?

Post by paulshortys10 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:06 pm

chrisz1423 wrote:Hi everyone. First time poster! I am a midwest graduate taking the July Bar. I'm taking Kaplan's course, but it's the online version and I feel like I could use some supplemental help. Does anyone know if books like "The Bar Exam is Easy" or "The Bar Exam Trainer" are helpful? They're only a few bucks each, so I guess low risk either way. And as far as non-content coaching, has anyone had any luck with that? Thank you so much!
From the little bit I've read on this forum, it seems that people learn the material from their courses and supplement with essay/questions instead and practice those.

chrisz1423

New

Post by chrisz1423 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:20 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
chrisz1423 wrote:Hi everyone. First time poster! I am a midwest graduate taking the July Bar. I'm taking Kaplan's course, but it's the online version and I feel like I could use some supplemental help. Does anyone know if books like "The Bar Exam is Easy" or "The Bar Exam Trainer" are helpful? They're only a few bucks each, so I guess low risk either way. And as far as non-content coaching, has anyone had any luck with that? Thank you so much!
From the little bit I've read on this forum, it seems that people learn the material from their courses and supplement with essay/questions instead and practice those.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I guess I'm wondering about time management strategies and things like that. Just looking for that little bit extra I guess.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:39 pm

If you are currently studying for the July 2015 bar, I would not bother with reading anything other than the bar materials you have. If not, then sure go ahead, but a lot of people don't bother.

For July 2015 people- the only supplements I would consider would be additional essays MPTs/ Performance Tests/ MBE questions for your jurisdiction. The more you have the better prepared you will be ( even if you just read the answers to the essays a few time and only outline your response).

You need to have good time management and stress management skills, have a good idea as to how you learn material best, be flexible and willing to adapt on the fly, have a good routine, typing/ handwriting skills/ stamina, and be able to be on top of your game and 100% focused for 3 and 1/2 hour intervals over a period of two or three days along with a solid sleep schedule ( know when your test is and adjust your sleep routine so you are mentally awake the moment the test begins.

It would also be good to develop an outlet to let go of your anxiety.

Ideally you should have all of this ( and be working on your sleep routine during bar prep, at least one month before test day) before you start prep, but a lot of people realize that they don't (which is not a big deal- stamina comes with sturying as does typing and hand writing skills.)

IF you are taking February 2016 or a later bar- then by all means read the book if you want

Tabirks

New

Post by Tabirks » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:35 pm

Has anyone heard of The Bar Code Cheat Sheets in Action, by Whitney Roberts? I am looking to find someone who is willing to sell it to me. I have heard nothing but great things about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”