Passed the NY Bar but can't seem to pass the MPRE...HELP! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
legalmoney

New

Re: Passed the NY Bar but can't seem to pass the MPRE...HELP!

Post by legalmoney » Tue May 26, 2015 12:44 pm

BiglawAssociate wrote:
legalmoney wrote:All you need is 2 weeks, for a couple of hours a day to pass this test.
Are you serious? All you need is like 2 days unless you are ESL. Just do the 4 practice Barbri exams and review the answers. The outlines are a waste of motherfucking time.
Don't listen to this asshole. Do what works for you. He's talks all that shit but those ESL lawyers are attorney's just like him. Just another dumbass acting big on the internet because his partner thinks he's a bitch.

britishgirlinNYC

New

Post by britishgirlinNYC » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:48 am

I PASSED! :) Lots of practice questions for about a month - to the point where I couldn't even look at the page anymore!

I got 90, which is still low but I passed and that's all that matters! I got 79 the first two times I tried.

Third time is a charm I guess....

Thank you all for your help and feedback!

Lobolaw1984

New

Post by Lobolaw1984 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:44 pm

If you are capable of passing the NY bar you are capable of passing the MPRE. Just study this time and you will pass.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Lobolaw1984 wrote:If you are capable of passing the NY bar you are capable of passing the MPRE. Just study this time and you will pass.
Where does someone who is incapable of reading the post directly above their own post fall on this intelligence spectrum?

Lobolaw1984

New

Post by Lobolaw1984 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:02 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Lobolaw1984 wrote:If you are capable of passing the NY bar you are capable of passing the MPRE. Just study this time and you will pass.
Where does someone who is incapable of reading the post directly above their own post fall on this intelligence spectrum?
You seem like a nice person. I responded without reading that she passed - I suppose that makes me stupid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CaliGirl81

New

Post by CaliGirl81 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:06 pm

I'm just wondering because thus far, I have failed it twice. I got an 84 the first time and an 82 the second time. I'm in California and I need an 86 to pass. How many questions out of 50 do you need correct in order to get an 86? This really annoyed me to say the least. I'm also waiting on my bar exam results but am not really hopeful on that either and may need to take it again in February.

Since 10 questions are automatically dropped does anyone know exactly how many questions out of 50 must be correct in order to pull of freaking 86?

theInnerCircle

New

Post by theInnerCircle » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:07 pm

bar failure, double mpre taker. smashed the mpre that second time. used barbri lecture and outline, but really used kaplan questions which i thought were waaaaay more similar to the exam (and there's more of them). just compare the free ncbe set to the kaplan ones and you'll see.

studied for about 10 days before the test w/ these materials. makes me wish i used kaplan for bar prep too. :(

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:37 am

Lobolaw1984 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
You seem like a nice person. I responded without reading that she passed - I suppose that makes me stupid.
No, it just means that you didn't read that she passed. Either way you expressed a kind sentiment. :)

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:42 am

CaliGirl81 wrote:I'm just wondering because thus far, I have failed it twice. I got an 84 the first time and an 82 the second time. I'm in California and I need an 86 to pass. How many questions out of 50 do you need correct in order to get an 86? This really annoyed me to say the least. I'm also waiting on my bar exam results but am not really hopeful on that either and may need to take it again in February.

Since 10 questions are automatically dropped does anyone know exactly how many questions out of 50 must be correct in order to pull of freaking 86?
Barbri lecturer said to shoot for 34-35 correct and you'd be fine.

Sign up for the November exam and do ALL the practice questions/lectures/outlines that Barbri has. I thought the Barbri questions were almost exactly like the MPRE questions.

The best advice people gave me about the MPRE was to take it seriously.

Silver lining: if you take the Nov. MPRE, you'll already be ahead of the game studying PR for the Feb. bar IF you have to re-take.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

abby0224

New

MPRE...HELP

Post by abby0224 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:42 pm

I took the MPRE yesterday and ran out of time. I've always had a hard time finishing timed exams even when granted more time. I ALWAYS study hard because I'm a dedicated student. I feel I may need to retake simply because I couldn't answer all 60 questions within the time plus the extra time they gave me. Any advise?
Please be kind and respectful.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Is always the second most ethical answer. If you're not sure, pick the second most ethical and move on if you have to retake.

rcharter1978

Gold

Re: MPRE...HELP

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:06 pm

abby0224 wrote:I took the MPRE yesterday and ran out of time. I've always had a hard time finishing timed exams even when granted more time. I ALWAYS study hard because I'm a dedicated student. I feel I may need to retake simply because I couldn't answer all 60 questions within the time plus the extra time they gave me. Any advise?
Please be kind and respectful.
How many did you leave blank?

Did you use Barbri?

Even in states with a pretty high requirement, I think you only need like 38/60 to pass. Do you think you got 22 wrong?

I find that if I'm getting close to time being called and I can't finish, I just bubble in all B's so something is there. You have a 25% chance with WAG. I'll then go back, and try to do as many as I can.

abby0224

New

Post by abby0224 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:09 pm

I didn't leave any blanks. I filled in something knowing there's a chance of getting 25% right. I'm in Fl and need 80 to pass. I believe I have OCD and I don't move on quickly enough on to the next question. I've always been slower on reading because I AM ALWAYS TRYING to understand what I am reading, but I realize it's hurting me taking too much time to read with time stil ticking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abby0224

New

Post by abby0224 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:12 pm

Yes I used BARBRI and took the Kaplan tests. I did 145 questions and read why I got something right and why I got something wrong. I am just slow in taking timed tests and it's killing me :(

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:16 pm

abby0224 wrote:I didn't leave any blanks. I filled in something knowing there's a chance of getting 25% right. I'm in Fl and need 80 to pass. I believe I have OCD and I don't move on quickly enough on to the next question. I've always been slower on reading because I AM ALWAYS TRYING to understand what I am reading, but I realize it's hurting me taking too much time to read with time stil ticking.
CA requires an 86, which means you can probably miss closer to 24 questions and still pass.

If you think you have a condition that is keeping you from doing your best, you should look into that regardless.

The only people I personally know who didn't pass were people who didn't study at all. You're probably fine.

Catherinebrownlaw

New

Post by Catherinebrownlaw » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:25 pm

Hello all,

I also have failed.
I'm really upset by this as I also studied for 2.5 weeks, took the Barbri course (questions and book), the course and questions provided by my school (Stetson) and I had PR previously in my law school career.
I'm about to take the bar so I feel this is an outcome on my future...I'm a comforted to see this is the case as many of you have passed your bars.
Would you all be so kind as to send me any outlines? I see you mention them. I would appreciate it.

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:41 pm

Catherinebrownlaw wrote:Hello all,

I also have failed.
I'm really upset by this as I also studied for 2.5 weeks, took the Barbri course (questions and book), the course and questions provided by my school (Stetson) and I had PR previously in my law school career.
I'm about to take the bar so I feel this is an outcome on my future...I'm a comforted to see this is the case as many of you have passed your bars.
Would you all be so kind as to send me any outlines? I see you mention them. I would appreciate it.
I failed the MPRE once and didn't pass by much on the second try despite studying pretty hard for it. I passed the CA bar the first try. Don't worry about it. Some people have trouble with the MPRE despite it being considered a joke. I don't think the two exams have much correlation. Just keep working hard.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

abby0224

New

Post by abby0224 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:57 am

I didn't pass either this past November, which was my first time taking it. I scored a 69, and for Florida, 80 is passing. So I have to get back up after being down, dust myself off, and get back at it again. My problem is also time management because I'm very slow when I take these timed exams :(
Even more disappointing.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:26 pm

This may be an unpopular opinion given the TLS affection for BarBri, but I actually found the Kaplan practice exams more helpful than the BarBri questions because the answer choices to the Kaplan questions more closely mirrored those that I saw on the actual MPRE. I think it's important to review each practice question you do, both those you got right and wrong, and to read why each of the answer choices is wrong. By doing this, you can essentially cover all the rules and notes of the rules in the answer explanations. Kaplan's MPRE review is free, just like every other review. I did 3 Kaplan practice exams, reviewed each question (both right and wrong) and got a 114 (wife did the same exact review as I did and got a 122).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”