How do you know when it's time to give up on the bar exam? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
crimsontide

New

How do you know when it's time to give up on the bar exam?

Post by crimsontide » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:48 am

Hi,
So I'm in an odd predicament. I took the July bar exam in 2012, failed, then went for a masters (honors/cum laude) until 2013, then failed the February 2014 bar, so I retook it in July 2014. I have no interest in practicing law, and went into policy. I've worked in the government via internships, in a think tank or two, and now, as a contractor for a high-profile institution known by most Americans.

My parents are placing undue pressure on me to retake if I don't pass this third time around, (**results come out tomorrow) but I have no extra money to retake. I'll probably retake it two or three years from now (giving time to get more contacts) or forgo it altogether. I've been interviewing for prestigious research fellowships and have come to the realization that I'm not strong in time-controlled test-taking. Even in law school, I needed extra time b/c of excruciating carpal tunnel (which since resolved itself).

I changed my way of studying by rereading old exams, focusing on trouble spots, reframing my MPT structure, going with my gut on MBEs (instead of doubting myself too much and changing answers constantly). I finished the MBEs 20-30 min ahead of time, but I'm pretty sure I failed (again, for the 3rd time).

I want to see if there's anyone out there like me (or if y'all are gunners, that's fine too), but--how do you know when it's time to give up on retaking the bar exam? I used a regional prep the first time, BarBri the second time, then self-study the third time.

TxBarTaker09

Bronze

Re: How do you know when it's time to give up on the bar exam?

Post by TxBarTaker09 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:03 am

I'm in the same boat, but you should consider yourself lucky, you seem to be on a career track you enjoy. If you don't pass again, I don't see the point in retaking. If I fail this time (third time for me as well) I'm not taking the Feb. 2015 exam because I can't afford it, pretty simple. I'm sure my parents would like for me to re-take it, but they are not pressuring me to because, well, they can't afford to help me re-take it anymore than I can afford to do so. Unlike you, I have no idea what I'm going to do for work if I don't pass. I had a job at a great firm with the litigation team, but after I failed the second time I lost my job. I have other job prospects if I pass, but if I don't I'm pretty much on my own. If you don't pass and you're not going to use a law license, I don't see the point in putting yourself through it again. The bar exam isn't going anywhere, you could always re-take it down the line if you want to.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:06 am

If I was you I wouldn't retake probably

Seems like a bunch of water time effort

Tell ur parents to fuck off it's your life

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:13 am

crimsontide wrote:Hi,
So I'm in an odd predicament. I took the July bar exam in 2012, failed, then went for a masters (honors/cum laude) until 2013, then failed the February 2014 bar, so I retook it in July 2014. I have no interest in practicing law, and went into policy. I've worked in the government via internships, in a think tank or two, and now, as a contractor for a high-profile institution known by most Americans.

My parents are placing undue pressure on me to retake if I don't pass this third time around, (**results come out tomorrow) but I have no extra money to retake. I'll probably retake it two or three years from now (giving time to get more contacts) or forgo it altogether. I've been interviewing for prestigious research fellowships and have come to the realization that I'm not strong in time-controlled test-taking. Even in law school, I needed extra time b/c of excruciating carpal tunnel (which since resolved itself).

I changed my way of studying by rereading old exams, focusing on trouble spots, reframing my MPT structure, going with my gut on MBEs (instead of doubting myself too much and changing answers constantly). I finished the MBEs 20-30 min ahead of time, but I'm pretty sure I failed (again, for the 3rd time).

I want to see if there's anyone out there like me (or if y'all are gunners, that's fine too), but--how do you know when it's time to give up on retaking the bar exam? I used a regional prep the first time, BarBri the second time, then self-study the third time.

I'm not sure if this is a joke but, given the bolded, I don't understand why there's even a question here. Is there some value to having passed the bar, outside of practicing law? If you keep taking it just to mollify your parents, that's absurd.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”