VA Bar C&F Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
in_fear

New

VA Bar C&F

Post by in_fear » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:10 am

I received a phone call earlier today regarding my character and fitness questionnaire, clarifying certain employment dates.

When I asked about whether or not I should notify the board of a new job since the bar exam, she replied "well, you should always update us with any changes, but I doubt they'll follow up right now"

I was under the assumption that character and fitness review continued on until December (swear-in) date? After the phone call, it dawned on me that she may have been referring/hinting that I failed, so VBBE will not be continuing their review.

Anyone else hear from Richmond regarding character & fitness?

I'm clearly over-reading into this right?

I wish they left me alone until after Oct. 17th. For the last several hours, I have convinced myself that I most certainly have failed.

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Re: VA Bar C&F

Post by crysmissmichelle » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:46 am

I do not think that she's hinting you failed. I think she means, we're in the last week and they probably won't follow up on a new job before results come out. Frankly, I don't think they would have called you at all if they were certain you'd failed. Why continue the C&F if they aren't going to license you anyway?

As of the date they announce the results the web site says the candidate is licensed; though the admission comes in December.

GW2k14

New

Post by GW2k14 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Yeah I just got a call too regarding whether I reported criminal/ traffic violations on my law school applications as I did my bar app. They asked me to forward copies of my apps as soon as possible.

I'm hoping they're only review C&F for those that passed - and waiting to go thru those that failed after the results are released (since I think the C&F is active for a couple of years?).

Oh well, we'll find out (not) soon enough.
Last edited by GW2k14 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qwerty789

New

Post by Qwerty789 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Is it a bad sign if you haven't heard from C&F at all?

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Qwerty789 wrote:Is it a bad sign if you haven't heard from C&F at all?
I hope not, as I haven't gotten a CF call yet either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:50 pm

I have a friend who took the test twice, and I asked her this question. She never once received a call about her C&F--for either test. Also, none of my friends who took the test at the same time have gotten a call. Too many statistically to have all failed. . . I don't think there is any problem if you haven't gotten a call--no significance at all.

GW2K14--I CANNOT BELIEVE they are asking YOU for copies of your law school applications. You'd think they'd have a different source (admissions or LSAC) for that information.

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:10 pm

I also got a call yesterday and a request to submit a clarification statement regarding some confusion over an incident that happened during undergrad. I didn't think much of it to be honest.

GW2k14

New

Post by GW2k14 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:13 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:

GW2K14--I CANNOT BELIEVE they are asking YOU for copies of your law school applications. You'd think they'd have a different source (admissions or LSAC) for that information.

Correction - I offered to send them the apps to document my answer to the fact that I disclosed the information on my application, and they asked me to do it as soon as I could.

in_fear

New

Post by in_fear » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:24 pm

I know friends who passed that had to supplement different documents or clarify certain parts of their c&f prior to finding out they passed. But as the previous poster said, a lot of my friends also never heard anything about their c&f, and they all passed too. So, I don't think that NOT getting calls/letters from C&F review boards are indicative of failing. In fact, the majority of people probably do not hear from c&f.

However, I was more worried about that lady from VBBE's comment "well, they probably won't review it now anyway" like… WOW… what are you trying to say lady? whattttt is that supposed to mean? I mean, its less than two weeks before results come out. I'm under a lot of pressure and stress as it is.

I guess I have to be optimistic about it and trust that crysmissmichelle is right. Maybe she just meant that results are out soon, so its too late to do any further review. BUT…

here I go again….

I thought c&f reviews are continuing through december… doesn't that mean they should review any new supplements and updates to my file? Why would VBBE have applicants send them changes/updates to our c&f if they are not going to review/follow up on them after results are out? ……

Here's another question, did people who FAILED hear from c&f prior to results being released????

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GW2k14

New

Post by GW2k14 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:05 am

in_fear wrote: here I go again….

I thought c&f reviews are continuing through december… doesn't that mean they should review any new supplements and updates to my file? Why would VBBE have applicants send them changes/updates to our c&f if they are not going to review/follow up on them after results are out? ……

Here's another question, did people who FAILED hear from c&f prior to results being released????

My mind is reeling too....

Also, what exactly is the deal on the 17th if we hear we passed? Are we immediately licensed? OR do we have to wait until swearing in? I've heard either way.

I want to know b/c if I pass, I get a pay bump - be nice to get that in October vs. December...

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:14 am

On the date the results are released there is a statement about the two pass lists posted (posted each time, each exam). For the first list it says [paraphrasing], the following people have passed the bar exam and have been licensed as of today: List; for the second list it says, the following people have passed the bar exam, but have outstanding requirements and are not licensed today. . . .

The admission ceremony is for admission before the Virginia Supreme Court. I have friends who have practiced in court in the two intervening months between licensing and Va. Sup. Ct. admission by having an oath ceremony before the court they need to practice in front of. . . the December ceremony just gives the person the right to appear in Va. Supreme Court and all lower courts. It is formal "admission to the bar."

The website will declare you licensed; how your job takes that, you must ask.

The wording on this letter may help: http://barexam.virginia.gov/pdf/VABar122014Ceremony.pdf

GW2k14

New

Post by GW2k14 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:15 am

crysmissmichelle wrote:On the date the results are released there is a statement about the two pass lists posted (posted each time, each exam). For the first list it says [paraphrasing], the following people have passed the bar exam and have been licensed as of today: List; for the second list it says, the following people have passed the bar exam, but have outstanding requirements and are not licensed today. . . .

The admission ceremony is for admission before the Virginia Supreme Court. I have friends who have practiced in court in the two intervening months between licensing and Va. Sup. Ct. admission by having an oath ceremony before the court they need to practice in front of. . . the December ceremony just gives the person the right to appear in Va. Supreme Court and all lower courts. It is formal "admission to the bar."

The website will declare you licensed; how your job takes that, you must ask.

The wording on this letter may help: http://barexam.virginia.gov/pdf/VABar122014Ceremony.pdf
Thanks. I'll show it to my partner.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”