CA Bar Fingerprinting for Out of State Applicants Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Charger

Bronze

CA Bar Fingerprinting for Out of State Applicants

Post by Charger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Apparently live scan fingerprints are required and only CA has live scanning, so out of state applicants must file for exemption and submit 2 copies of paper prints. Additionally, the paper prints must be taken by a law enforcement agency. Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't imagine just walking into my local PD and asking for a favor? How do I deal with this?

LSATNightmares

Silver

Re: CA Bar Fingerprinting for Out of State Applicants

Post by LSATNightmares » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:35 pm

Charger wrote:Apparently live scan fingerprints are required and only CA has live scanning, so out of state applicants must file for exemption and submit 2 copies of paper prints. Additionally, the paper prints must be taken by a law enforcement agency. Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't imagine just walking into my local PD and asking for a favor? How do I deal with this?
It's very common to do this. People need fingerprints for all sorts of reasons, like gun permits. I would call your local police station and inquire. They may only do it at certain locations and certain hours. I did it in Cambridge, MA for the Cal Bar, and nobody looked at me weirdly.

Charger

Bronze

Post by Charger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:40 pm

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

yips

New

Post by yips » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:29 pm

They might charge a small fee as well ($10-25 probably).
Charger wrote:Additionally, the paper prints must be taken by a law enforcement agency.
Are you sure about this part? I think when I was researching this, I looked into a private fingerprinting company as well as my university's security department (both of which would have provided acceptable prints, by the way).

Charger

Bronze

Post by Charger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:23 pm

yips wrote:They might charge a small fee as well ($10-25 probably).
Charger wrote:Additionally, the paper prints must be taken by a law enforcement agency.
Are you sure about this part? I think when I was researching this, I looked into a private fingerprinting company as well as my university's security department (both of which would have provided acceptable prints, by the way).
Instructions say "by a law enforcement agency (i.e. police department, sheriff's station, etc.) or by an agency that requires you to provide appropriate identification" and on FD-258 fingerprint cards. It didn't even occur to me what "agency" could mean, aside from law enforcement agency. I'll try a private fingerprinting company or my school's security department. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

duskfall

New

Post by duskfall » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:48 pm

My friend and I went to this company that specializes in passport photos and they did it for us. Fee was $50. She submitted her app a long time ago and was approved. I submitted mine about 2 months ago.

yips

New

Post by yips » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Charger wrote:FD-258 fingerprint cards
One more thing: these cards are very common, but not everywhere will provide them for you. I suggest that you ask in advance whether your place will have them available. If not, you can print cards from a PDF online and use that.

Charger

Bronze

Post by Charger » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:53 pm

yips wrote:
Charger wrote:FD-258 fingerprint cards
One more thing: these cards are very common, but not everywhere will provide them for you. I suggest that you ask in advance whether your place will have them available. If not, you can print cards from a PDF online and use that.
Thanks for the heads up. Will they accept it if it's printed on regular paper and not on the typical heavy card stock?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”