Bar exam Documentary Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LAWYER2

Silver

Bar exam Documentary

Post by LAWYER2 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:29 am

First time I seen it. Very interesting after having just taken the bar. Although I must admit, it made me a little nervous because one of the folks who didn't pass reminded me of me, lol

http://youtu.be/MnvPL9myL-Q

aquasalad

Bronze

Re: Bar exam Documentary

Post by aquasalad » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:04 am

Which one didn't pass?

duskfall

New

Post by duskfall » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:08 am

aquasalad wrote:Which one didn't pass?
great documentary. especially great to watch AFTER taking the Cal Bar. don't want to spoil it for you, go watch!

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:45 am

LAWYER2 wrote:First time I seen it. Very interesting after having just taken the bar. Although I must admit, it made me a little nervous because one of the folks who didn't pass reminded me of me, lol

I watched it twice. I think it really is a great film to watch with someone who has no clue what the bar exam is like. Since it was shot at the Ontario Convention Center, it gives you a realistic idea of the venue.
Last edited by gaagoots on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:48 pm

This doc was certainly interesting and undeniably realistic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iLoveFruits&Veggies

Bronze

Post by iLoveFruits&Veggies » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks so much for posting this! I said earlier this week, "someone really needs to make a documentary about preparing for the Bar exam!"

pizzasodafries

Bronze

Post by pizzasodafries » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:19 am

Great watch, thanks for this

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:06 am

That blonde girl was the wooOOooOooOoooorst, good lord.

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:12 am

whirledpeas86 wrote:That blonde girl was the wooOOooOooOoooorst, good lord.
LOL, I see the acting career didn't work out so well for her. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2418226/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:02 pm

I started around the end so I missed most of the emotional crux of the doc. What took me by surprise was the shocking stat that only 36.8% of the exam class passed the next round of the CA bar. How is that even possible?

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:46 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
LOL, I see the acting career didn't work out so well for her. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2418226/?ref_=tt_cl_t1
But, but ... Garfield 2!

Seriously, though, best case of schadenfreude with that one.

mikealao

New

Post by mikealao » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:44 pm

Lawst wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:
But, but ... Garfield 2!

Seriously, though, best case of schadenfreude with that one.
Agreed, she's a complete narcissist.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:22 pm

Does anyone know if the old dude ever passed? after the time of the doc ofc
Last edited by xylocarp on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:15 pm

gaagoots wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:First time I seen it. Very interesting after having just taken the bar. Although I must admit, it made me a little nervous because one of the folks who didn't pass reminded me of me, lol

I watched it twice. The one that you speak of, I know very well, is now a Judge. I think it really is a great film to watch with someone who has no clue what the bar exam is like. Since it was shot at the Ontario Convention Center, it gives you a realistic idea of the venue.
Right, she's a "judge." She was elected an associate justice of her tribe, with a population of about 6,500. Not exactly SDNY.

She could not have been more obnoxious in that documentary if her role was scripted.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:41 pm

xylocarp wrote:Does anyone know if the old dude ever passed? after the time of the doc ofc

His name is Donald Baumeister, would the CA state bar have him listed?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:47 pm

Haymarket wrote:
gaagoots wrote:

I watched it twice. The one that you speak of, I know very well, is now a Judge. I think it really is a great film to watch with someone who has no clue what the bar exam is like. Since it was shot at the Ontario Convention Center, it gives you a realistic idea of the venue.
Right, she's a "judge." She was elected an associate justice of her tribe, with a population of about 6,500. Not exactly SDNY.

She could not have been more obnoxious in that documentary if her role was scripted.
She reminded me of like 1/3rd of my class coming into 1L, but they all had it beaten out of them by the end of 2L. Really surprising she survived that long.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:22 am

Hannibal wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
gaagoots wrote:

She reminded me of like 1/3rd of my class coming into 1L, but they all had it beaten out of them by the end of 2L. Really surprising she survived that long.
When she said she applied the UCC rules in a common law contract question, I cringed. That had to hurt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:41 am

I just started this now. I'm less than 30 minutes in. Really glad I didn't watch this before the bar. lol. Their anxiety is making me anxious after the fact.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:48 am

alicrimson wrote:I just started this now. I'm less than 30 minutes in. Really glad I didn't watch this before the bar. lol. Their anxiety is making me anxious after the fact.
Same. Although the blonde girl really is the worst.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:20 pm

beachbum wrote:
alicrimson wrote:I just started this now. I'm less than 30 minutes in. Really glad I didn't watch this before the bar. lol. Their anxiety is making me anxious after the fact.
Yeah, she's bad. My favorite is how she was talking about how hard she works, shot to her at a bar "Sleep with me. Make it happen!", to the singing in church. I understand editing and making you see what they want you to see, but I hope she actually did the low level of work that the doc implied, while talking about how much she studied. Pretty bad.

I also really dislike the brunette with the young child. To me, she's almost as bad as the blond girl. I'm glad I didn't study with or around either of these two characters.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:39 pm

alicrimson wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Yeah, she's bad. My favorite is how she was talking about how hard she works, shot to her at a bar "Sleep with me. Make it happen!", to the singing in church. I understand editing and making you see what they want you to see, but I hope she actually did the low level of work that the doc implied, while talking about how much she studied. Pretty bad.

I also really dislike the brunette with the young child. To me, she's almost as bad as the blond girl. I'm glad I didn't study with or around either of these two characters.

I totally thought they were setting her up to make it look like she'd fail only to have her pass. Nope, they made her look like a slacker and perform like one as well. If I were her, I'd be a little pissed with the way she was portrayed. I guess she eventually passed, so it's water under the bridge though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:49 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
beachbum wrote:

I totally thought they were setting her up to make it look like she'd fail only to have her pass. Nope, they made her look like a slacker and perform like one as well. If I were her, I'd be a little pissed with the way she was portrayed. I guess she eventually passed, so it's water under the bridge though.

I wish we had been shown more kind of what jobs were waiting for them on the other side of the bar exam, like that one woman's firm job. The annoying blonde woman, Tricia Zunker, went on to start her own solo practice firm, and then she was elected an associate justice of her tribe, the Ho-Chunk. I mean, the the extent that she had to miss an entire year without being able to practice that could be significant. Also, she was a UCLA graduate in 2006. Could she really find no job for after graduation? Did she lose it? Wish we had answers.

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Haymarket wrote:
gaagoots wrote:

Although I felt that way when I first saw that film over 3 years ago, I think my feeling toward all of them changed. Without legal experience what does one do for a job? No matter how snooty one can be about her 'associate justice' position with her tribe, its experience is it not? The reality is, the graduates of 2006, had a chance to put their foot in the door. Things are quite different now which is how I came to meet her and others like her.

3 years of law school, $200,000 of debt to compete with paralegals and work with them side-by-side? I don't think anyone went to law school for that accomplishment. Being realistic--choice (1) tribal justice (2) document review or (3) paralegal? I'd venture a guess #1 will get the most respect, even amongst a population of 6,500.

Haymarket

Bronze

Post by Haymarket » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:07 pm

gaagoots wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
gaagoots wrote:

Although I felt that way when I first saw that film over 3 years ago, I think my feeling toward all of them changed. Without legal experience what does one do for a job? No matter how snooty one can be about her 'associate justice' position with her tribe, its experience is it not? The reality is, the graduates of 2006, had a chance to put their foot in the door. Things are quite different now which is how I came to meet her and others like her.

3 years of law school, $200,000 of debt to compete with paralegals and work with them side-by-side? I don't think anyone went to law school for that accomplishment. Being realistic--choice (1) tribal justice (2) document review or (3) paralegal? I'd venture a guess #1 will get the most respect, even amongst a population of 6,500.
This doesn't make sense for several reasons.

First, no, a tribal associate justice is not valuable experience because it's not relevant to anything else. If you're familiar with the kind of disputes that make their way through tribal courts, they have no real-world import, and as a result, no money involved. I'm not really interested in weighing the relative respect of a solo practitioner in California or a tribal justice in Wisconsin. Neither sounds appealing.

Second, she already had her own solo practice, the Zunker Law Group or whatever, after she finally passed the bar a year later. She was elected a justice only last year, meaning she had 6 years of other experience. Thus, her choices were not between associate justice and being a paralegal. The fact that she had to start her own solo practice as a UCLA graduate in a boom year, in addition to the fact that she failed the bar, says a lot.

Finally, all of this only adds to the ridiculousness of her attitude throughout the movie. If she was faking all that confidence, she's just an idiot. If it was genuine, than it really explains everything.

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:13 am

We can go back and forth about what you perceive and what I perceive. I was working throughout the boom and loss, and mid 2007 was bad. If you weren't working in a firm steadily at that time, you were out the door. She supposedly passed in Feb 07, and looks like on the bar website sworn in by June 07. It wasn't a good time for newly minted lawyers with zero experience to come to big law. So what does one do during a recession? Start your own practice? Which is what a lot did and they had to dumpster dive for clients on CL. Those who wouldn't know how to run a solo practice were taking paralegal jobs (if offered) or went to doc review.

As far as experience as a tribal justice, I won't BS and pretend I know what they do or don't do. I suspect it is akin to small claims or traffic court, you listen to problems and come up with an answer. That is lawyering to some extent, is it not?

I was judgmental when I first watched that movie, I thought what a bunch of train wrecks. If MTV were to have a law school reality show, they would embellish the drama much like this to get viewers. I don't know what kind of characters you met in school, but people in the evening were pretty boring like me since we work all day.

Maybe, if someone had a "grant" to pay for school and didn't have the loan debt they don't need to bust their ass to find a job. I kind of caught that in the first part of the movie, which made me think, ahhh thats why she turned down that summer job. As for failing the bar her first time--I don't know about you, but that was a jolt in reality for me as to 'what not to do' for bar prep. Not practicing essay writing was her death nell, and I can't imagine anyone *winging it* like her and passing. I have always believed "success is a function of attitude" and 7 years ago in that film her attitude was not going to serve her well to be successful. Maybe she's been serving humble pies at Polly's all those years and isn't quite as cocky. I don't know.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”