California Bar Exam (July 2014) thread Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jarofsoup

Gold

California Bar Exam (July 2014) thread

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:56 am

I am terrified.

Silver

Re: California Bar Exam (July 2014) thread

Post by 2807 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:02 pm

You can't fix normal.
Relax.
Most people who pass-- feel just like you at this stage.
Normal.

So.....
Start reading through the Feb 2014 thread.
Lots of good info in there.

1. Start by grasping the overall structure of the test, the grading, and what is expected of you.
2. Then, study/review your BLL.
3. Then, begin to test your ability to APPLY that BLL to legal issues you spot in practice essays.
4. Then, learn to craft succinct structured essays that SHOW the grader you know what you are doing.
-you will label the "TOPIC" as a bold heading, you will underline, you will write the issue as PRECISE LEGAL ISSUE, you will write short, clear, and strong.
5. IRAC is your friend
6. Practice MC as tiny essays: Write out the legal issue, state the rule, apply the tiny relevant facts, conclude.
-this is very good practice. Allowing you to double-dip as you study.
7. Repeat
8. At the end, you will review, refine, and conquer.

There are many opinions on how to do this test.
In the CA/Feb 2014 thread you will see mine.
We really broke it down in there.
I suspect it will be helpful to many.
Follow this approach.. or not... it will at least expose you to some clarity while forging your own path.

This info came to me the hard way, and I am just trying to help by paying it forward.
Good luck to you!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:23 pm

man hotels are expensive

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:35 am

Are people booking hotels already? I know that you can register for the bar on like March 1, so I was waiting until then. Now I am wondering if I should book a hotel already. What do they cost?

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:29 am

LSATNightmares wrote:Are people booking hotels already? I know that you can register for the bar on like March 1, so I was waiting until then. Now I am wondering if I should book a hotel already. What do they cost?
i didn't exactly do an exhaustive search i just noticed the century city hyatt is like $350/night lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 2807 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:31 pm

patogordo wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:Are people booking hotels already? I know that you can register for the bar on like March 1, so I was waiting until then. Now I am wondering if I should book a hotel already. What do they cost?
i didn't exactly do an exhaustive search i just noticed the century city hyatt is like $350/night lol
If the exam is at that hotel again... it is worth the $.
Figure it out.

Being able to walk to the test, walk back to your room for lunch, and remove the stress of driving and parking is worth it.

Also, get an extra day so you do not have to check out on the morning of day 3 (and you can go back to your room again for lunch)

This is the ideal way, but yes, it is not cheap.

But, you only want to do this once....
so find the money and CONTROL THE THINGS YOU CAN.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:53 pm

2807 wrote:
patogordo wrote:
If the exam is at that hotel again... it is worth the $.
Figure it out.

Being able to walk to the test, walk back to your room for lunch, and remove the stress of driving and parking is worth it.

Also, get an extra day so you do not have to check out on the morning of day 3 (and you can go back to your room again for lunch)

This is the ideal way, but yes, it is not cheap.

But, you only want to do this once....
so find the money and CONTROL THE THINGS YOU CAN.
yea i get that. i work across the street, though, so i can park there and take a nap in the office if need be. so probably not worth $1000 for me.

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Post by WonkyPanda » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 pm

What time exactly does registration open usually? 12am?

Also, any input on testing centers? I was eyeing pasadena.

yips

New

Post by yips » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:52 am

patogordo wrote:man hotels are expensive
For sure!

I looked at the Bar website, but I couldn't figure out the answer to this: how likely is it that we get our preferred test center (assuming we submit the app like tomorrow)? When do we find out our assignment? Should I make hotel reservations assuming that I will get my top location, or should I wait until I know for sure?

If this information is obvious somewhere, kindly point it out. Either I'm losing my mind or it's really hard to find...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:35 am

It was hard for me to see the price of the hotels, but I can estimate that it will be really expensive. The California bar is really hurting my pocketbook.

When I try to look up hotel rooms for the site I want (i.e. Santa Clara), the hotel tells me that it's either all booked or nobody is allowed to make reservations for those dates. I hope it's the latter. Even though it's technically March 1 now, I still can't see the hotel information.
Last edited by LSATNightmares on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jobhunter13

New

Post by jobhunter13 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:39 am

Just registered. Did anybody get email confirmation? On the application website it says "If you do not receive an email confirmation, you have not submitted the California Bar Examination Online Application correctly." But on the confirmation page it says the next step is to receive snail mail confirmation within 2 weeks.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:40 am

i forgot my password
i hate myself
but i hate the bar even more

ok i figured it out & i tricked the system to be able to keep trying passwords. phew.

also, i got my confirmation e-mail like 2 minutes after i registered.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:35 am

patogordo wrote:
yeah the hotel in oakland where the testing is $309/night right now. There seem to be tons of options within a mile tho for less, but on the other hand I kind of want to stay somewhere where I can 100% get breakfast room service every morning before the test and be in peace. A lot of the reviews for other nearby hotels for me say they can get really noisy because of the location.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jobhunter13

New

Post by jobhunter13 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:54 am

ilovesf wrote:
ugh, can't figure out if something went wrong since i didn't get it. i can't seem to submit another app. did your confirmation email have your test center?

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:04 am

jobhunter13 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
ugh, can't figure out if something went wrong since i didn't get it. i can't seem to submit another app. did your confirmation email have your test center?
Just confirmation number and a checklist.

crazyventures

New

Post by crazyventures » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:57 am

jobhunter13 wrote:Just registered. Did anybody get email confirmation? On the application website it says "If you do not receive an email confirmation, you have not submitted the California Bar Examination Online Application correctly." But on the confirmation page it says the next step is to receive snail mail confirmation within 2 weeks.
I didn't get a confirmation either. I'm going to assume everything is okay since they took the money out of my account and I took a screencap of the confirmation just in case. I might send an email just to be sure because I really don't want to be stuck with my second choice testing location.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:25 pm

crazyventures wrote:
jobhunter13 wrote:Just registered. Did anybody get email confirmation? On the application website it says "If you do not receive an email confirmation, you have not submitted the California Bar Examination Online Application correctly." But on the confirmation page it says the next step is to receive snail mail confirmation within 2 weeks.
I didn't get a confirmation either. I'm going to assume everything is okay since they took the money out of my account and I took a screencap of the confirmation just in case. I might send an email just to be sure because I really don't want to be stuck with my second choice testing location.
I received mine a minute after the application from the LA office of admissions. I'm guessing you already checked your spam filter?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crazyventures

New

Post by crazyventures » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Lwoods wrote:
crazyventures wrote:
I received mine a minute after the application from the LA office of admissions. I'm guessing you already checked your spam filter?
Yeah, there was nothing in my spam, social, or promotions folders. The website confirmation/application copy is showing the correct email address, too. Hmmm.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:29 pm

For those in the Bay Area, I called the Santa Clara Hyatt, because you couldn't make reservations online. The hotel rate is $185 for a room with a double bed, and the Hyatt seems to be the closest hotel to the convention center. You can book if you call. I was actually relieved it wasn't $300/night like I expected. You can also cancel if you find out you weren't assigned to the Santa Clara testing site.

jobhunter13

New

Post by jobhunter13 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:34 pm

DildaMan wrote:
jobhunter13 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Just confirmation number and a checklist.
thanks!
crazyventures wrote:
same here . . . will update if i find out anything.

crazyventures

New

Post by crazyventures » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:58 pm

jobhunter13 wrote: same here . . . will update if i find out anything.
Thanks. I'm going to send an email/letter to the State Bar and I'm going to go talk to Student Affairs at my school. My application is listed under submitted applications with the confirmation information but I think it's weird I didn't receive an email. I submitted my application reaaaally early in the morning on 3/1 so I wonder if they were doing maintenance? I'll update once I find out something, too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:14 pm

crazyventures wrote:
jobhunter13 wrote: same here . . . will update if i find out anything.
Thanks. I'm going to send an email/letter to the State Bar and I'm going to go talk to Student Affairs at my school. My application is listed under submitted applications with the confirmation information but I think it's weird I didn't receive an email. I submitted my application reaaaally early in the morning on 3/1 so I wonder if they were doing maintenance? I'll update once I find out something, too.
Dear XXXXXXXXXX:
You have submitted your application for the XXXXXXXXXX to the Office of Admissions of the State Bar of California.

Your confirmation number is: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

To check the status of this application or your overall admission status, you can use the online application system to access your Admission Status Screen.

If you have an e-mail spam blocker, please add ticketready@calbar.ca.gov to your contact or safe list. Once your application is approved, approximately 8 weeks prior to the examination, you will receive an e-mail from this e-mail address informing you that you can print your admittance ticket through the Admissions Status Screen.

If you have previously taken the California Bar Examination, or have previously filed a Registration Application and the Office of Admissions of the State Bar of California approved that application, you are not required to file another Registration Application.

However, if you have never registered with the Office of Admissions, a separate Registration Application must be completed and approved within 10 days of submitting your examination application or by the Final Filing Deadline whichever is earlier; otherwise, your California Bar Examination Application will be terminated.

Laptop
For information regarding using a laptop for the California Bar Examination, please access http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/ and click on the California Bar Examination link and refer to the instructions on the Laptop Computer Program Bulletin.

Technical Assistance will not be available at the test centers.

Eligibility
Law schools must provide legal education transcripts for determination of examination eligibility. Initial requests are sent to law schools; however, it is the applicant's responsibility to make sure all required transcripts are received by the Office of Admissions.

Note: Non-California law schools usually require that their applicants request legal education certifications/transcripts directly from the school.

Attorney applicants must submit original Certificate(s) of Good Standings within 10 days of submitting their examination application.

You can find information about the Examination Administration Rules and Policies at http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/.

Moral Character
One of the requirements for admission is a positive moral character determination.
If you have not yet filed your moral character determination application, your admission to practice law may be delayed if you are successful on the bar examination. You are advised to submit one as soon as possible because the processing of a standard moral character determination application generally takes a minimum of 180 days to complete.

I submitted the app at 12:36 AM 3/1/14. I received confirmation at 12:39 AM 3/1/14. Hope that helps.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

DildaMan wrote: lots of text
hey bro. are you taking it up here or in socal?

LegalReality

New

Post by LegalReality » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:43 am

To all takers, I would really recommend a different course than Barbri for the California bar exam. I am not trying to exaggerate or intimidate people when I say that, from discussing it with others as well, the entire February exam seemed premised on evading any subject which Barbri placed emphasis on. Most of the essays were premised on points which took up approximately 4 sentences to 1 page of the 80 page Barbri subject outline. I literally do not think even one essay went over a major topic and most were based on the equivalent of a Barbri footnote. Anyways, I'd check with other takers but from one Barbri student, I'd highly advise looking elsewhere.

Hoggle

New

Post by Hoggle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:03 am

LegalReality wrote:To all takers, I would really recommend a different course than Barbri for the California bar exam. I am not trying to exaggerate or intimidate people when I say that, from discussing it with others as well, the entire February exam seemed premised on evading any subject which Barbri placed emphasis on. Most of the essays were premised on points which took up approximately 4 sentences to 1 page of the 80 page Barbri subject outline. I literally do not think even one essay went over a major topic and most were based on the equivalent of a Barbri footnote. Anyways, I'd check with other takers but from one Barbri student, I'd highly advise looking elsewhere.
Problem is that Themis offers more detailed outlines (esp. MBE subjects). BUT Barbi offers better direction on good writing style. You don't need to know obscure topics to pass the CA bar if you can kill the MBE, nail the black letter law on CA essays with the common topics, and go a bit more shallow with decent analysis on the crazy stuff. The CA bar usually throws in something no one knows on the essays. Two exams ago it was slavery. This exam it was zoning. If you screw up on that one area, the worst you can do is maybe drop 5 points on one essay.

If you want to pass on the cheap, use Themis's course to do black letter law and MBE prep, buy Barbri's writing materials off of Ebay.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”