. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Bikeflip

Gold

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

I understand your frustration, but you're going to drive yourself slightly insane obsessing over the questions. I would tell you all to stop, but I didn't. Chances are you won't. When you get wound up about the bar over these next few months, remind yourself that you're more likely to remember the gotchas and not the gimmes. The moment you get your results, you won't remember a single question.

jtx86

New

Post by jtx86 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:24 pm

So, safely speaking, I got a 105 raw... let's hope that curve rides me to a 140

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:15 pm

Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Sat May 31, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:18 pm

Hoping for a big curve as well.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Here bros: The July 2011 California MBE raw to scaled conversion chart. I've forgotten which scale California uses for converting a raw MBE score into a scaled score, either a California specific scale or the national NCBE scale, but it should provide you with a baseline. Just note that the scale will change test to test.

EDIT 1: Huh. CA provides a scale for all the recent tests, if you know where to look.

CA July 2013
CA Feb 2013
CA July 2012
CA Feb 2012

EDIT 2: I checked to see if my July 2013 scaled was on the table. It was. I didn't take the CA bar, so CA may use the national NCBE scale. Dunno for sure, though. It could just be a coincidence.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Bikeflip wrote:EDIT 2: I checked to see if my July 2013 scaled was on the table. It was. I didn't take the CA bar, so CA may use the national NCBE scale. Dunno for sure, though. It could just be a coincidence.
Mine was exactly the same too. Don't all states use the national scale?

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:15 pm

superflush wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:EDIT 2: I checked to see if my July 2013 scaled was on the table. It was. I didn't take the CA bar, so CA may use the national NCBE scale. Dunno for sure, though. It could just be a coincidence.
Mine was exactly the same too. Don't all states use the national scale?
I honestly don't know.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:20 pm

People who took the NY bar: how do you feel Themis prepared you for the exam? I am still deciding between prep companies. Thanks!!

chuckbasstard

New

Post by chuckbasstard » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:03 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:People who took the NY bar: how do you feel Themis prepared you for the exam? I am still deciding between prep companies. Thanks!!
Seconded.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:36 pm

chuckbasstard wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:People who took the NY bar: how do you feel Themis prepared you for the exam? I am still deciding between prep companies. Thanks!!
Seconded.
Third...ed? Would rather not spend an obscene $3K+ for BarBri if I don't have to.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:10 pm

I can't comment on the NY essays, but I thought it was good value for the MBE.

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:28 pm

This is a dumb question, but do you have to like, take notes or make outlines while studying with themis? Or do you just watch lectures/follow along on with provided outline and then take quizzes?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:13 pm

I felt very well prepared. Themis's essays were substantially harder than the real thing, IIRC, and their grading was pretty tough. But I heard similar things about Barbri. I think both programs have the philosophy that they'd rather scare you into overpreparing than the opposite.

I would not in a million years pay for Barbri out of my own pocket.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:14 pm

MinEMorris wrote:This is a dumb question, but do you have to like, take notes or make outlines while studying with themis? Or do you just watch lectures/follow along on with provided outline and then take quizzes?

Make notes within provided outlines. Or don't. It's not as if anyone checks.

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:27 pm

kalvano wrote:
MinEMorris wrote:This is a dumb question, but do you have to like, take notes or make outlines while studying with themis? Or do you just watch lectures/follow along on with provided outline and then take quizzes?

Thanks very much for the response. Are the outlines intended to be complete? Sorry to continue on the same point. It's just that studying for the bar will be 10x less painful if I'm able to do it on the go, listening on a mobile device while working out or something. If I feel like I should sit at my computer and take notes the entire time, it would be depressing.

Thanks again.

boushi

Bronze

Post by boushi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Anyone else doing Themis just for the free iPad that comes with the technology package? (Free as-in firm is footing the bill for whichever bar review course you select.)

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:51 pm

MinEMorris wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Thanks very much for the response. Are the outlines intended to be complete? Sorry to continue on the same point. It's just that studying for the bar will be 10x less painful if I'm able to do it on the go, listening on a mobile device while working out or something. If I feel like I should sit at my computer and take notes the entire time, it would be depressing.

Thanks again.
You're not going to be able to passive study for the bar as much as you think. A bunch of the work is doing practice questions. That said, I used Themis' outlines as a baseline for my own outlines.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:05 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
MinEMorris wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Thanks again.
You're not going to be able to passive study for the bar as much as you think. A bunch of the work is doing practice questions. That said, I used Themis' outlines as a baseline for my own outlines.
Disappointing, but good to know. Thanks!

IMHIPP

New

Post by IMHIPP » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Passed (UBE). Did pretty good on the MBE. The essay and MPT scores are combined so it's hard to get a feel for those.

Not sure how much of a recommendation I can give since I didn't log on to the Themis site for the last month. I am glad I didn't pay $3k to Barbri.

Should I Transfer??

Bronze

Post by Should I Transfer?? » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:29 pm

boushi wrote:Anyone else doing Themis just for the free iPad that comes with the technology package? (Free as-in firm is footing the bill for whichever bar review course you select.)
Can you tell me more about this? Can't find that option on the website. Thanks!

jtx86

New

Post by jtx86 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:57 am

Just passed the NY Bar! 148.7 MBE - I gotta give a HUGE shout-out to Themis. If you are having ANY doubts about Themis vs. Barbri, go with Themis. So glad I saved thousands of dollars. Good luck bar-takers, you can do it!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GaryKlein2

New

Post by GaryKlein2 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 pm

I also took Themis and passed the NY bar exam. I would highly recommend it and am SO GLAD I DIDN'T DO BARBRI

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:53 am

jtx86 wrote:Just passed the NY Bar! 148.7 MBE - I gotta give a HUGE shout-out to Themis. If you are having ANY doubts about Themis vs. Barbri, go with Themis. So glad I saved thousands of dollars. Good luck bar-takers, you can do it!!!
GaryKlein2 wrote:I also took Themis and passed the NY bar exam. I would highly recommend it and am SO GLAD I DIDN'T DO BARBRI
Thanks! Muy helpful. Themis here I come.

njbound

New

Post by njbound » Tue May 06, 2014 8:19 pm

passed nj with themis!

puttycake

Bronze

Post by puttycake » Tue May 06, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm going to be tackling the July CA bar with Themis if I can ever get through exams.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”