Anyone a 1L at Regent University? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Cupidity

Gold

Re: Anyone a 1L at Regent University?

Post by Cupidity » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:43 am

PoliticalJunkie wrote:No one is "sniffing" at anything Christian that's just plain ignorant. Please take the Christian persecution rant elsewhere. BTW, an Ivy to Regent is just too funny.

OP: I definitely understand your situation. While most TLSers tend to bash anything lower than T14 and invoke fear about the legal market, many good lawyers come from a range of schools. Also, the market is NOT going to be this bad in three years - which is why many more people are applying to grad school this year (not sure why TLSers don't get this).

For your situation it seems that the debt is going to be manageable and you're not interested in Big Law which means the ranking of your school is not as significant compared to someone else.

Then again, your educational opportunities, externships, summer placements, are going to be far worse at Regent than any other school. Regent does not seem to be your no. 1 choice, but if you are dead set on a legal career with no other options to move, Regent might be your only choice. Just know what you are getting yourself into and know that going to a school with such a low ranking and reputation, the more work the student needs to put into making opportunities.

Good Luck with December and thank you for your husband's service.
Don't you mean- Ive? :wink:

jsoell

New

Post by jsoell » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:48 am

My two cents on this -

The husband of a friend of mine graduated from Regent's law school. They are both centrist politically but conservative in their christian religious views, so he knew what he was getting into and was actually seeking that environment. When I started thinking about going into law, I asked him what his experience had been like at Regent and heard pretty much what I expected. He appreciated the GOD-CENTERED look at legal theory and philosophy, and really enjoyed his time there.

Again, I'm talking about someone who went to Regent not because of proximity/necessity but rather someone who went there because they wanted that school. He enjoyed it.

He also had a really hard time getting a job in DC afterwards (this was 2008 - still Bushy DC) and ended up working part time in a non-law related field for a while before finally landing something. It was a rough patch for them.

Bottom line: If your dream is law school and Regent is your only plausible option (I'm not sure you're there yet), go but be prepared for Regent's God-centered perspective on the law.

amclane

New

Post by amclane » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:20 pm

CNUcrazy09 wrote:Hey is anyone here a 1L at Regent University in Virginia? If so, what do you think of the law school overall and what were your LSAT/GPA scores that got you in? I am considering Regent as my law school of choice do to my husband being in the Air Force and stationed in Langley Virginia. I would appreciate any information that you could give me. Thanks! :wink:

Um Langley and Virginia Beach are NOT close to each other. UDC is a school you could get into with your numbers, and it's close enough to Langley. Also, the tuition is cheap.

jsoell

New

Post by jsoell » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:42 pm

I have a sinking suspicion we have been missing something here. Are you saying that your husband is at Langley Air Force Base or in Langley, VA? If he's at Langley Air Force Base, you're talking about Hampton, VA. That's close to Regent. If you're talking about Langley, VA, that's DC (sorry to you NOVA people and to you DC people who never cross into VA except to get to DCA).

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:50 pm

bigboy wrote: for the class of 2008, 91% were employed within 9 months of graduating (above the national average for that year according to NALP). Don't know what the 2009 stats are.

So employment is not a problem for this school.
A Regent Law grad made me the tastiest Big Mac I'd ever tasted!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:59 pm

savetheturtles wrote:I think you should retake a fourth time. From what I hear, getting the waiver isn't that hard
Where did you hear this? I wanted to take a 4th time but I was advised (by a reputable source) that people used to have success getting waivers but they no longer do.

stuffnuff

New

Post by stuffnuff » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:01 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
bigboy wrote: for the class of 2008, 91% were employed within 9 months of graduating (above the national average for that year according to NALP). Don't know what the 2009 stats are.

So employment is not a problem for this school.
A Regent Law grad made me the tastiest Big Mac I'd ever tasted!

I think bigboy is a great troll. Hat's off.

Also: can this thread turn into an obese child picture thread?

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:12 pm

If you re-read my post, I'm not contesting the Christian stance of the University. I'm simply pointing out the strong employment and bar passage stats, which are indeed facts.
The bar passage rates are accurate (but of course, most schools have strong bar passage rates). However, the employment stats are misleading, if not half-lies (like those of most schools).

As for the school itself, it can be summed up by the following LOLcat:

--ImageRemoved--

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:13 pm

bigboy wrote:The intellectual word at large tends to loathe christian right-wingers, so don't be surprised at people telling you the place stinks.
This is true, but mostly because radical right-wingers tend to loathe intelligent thought. It works both ways, you know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
bigboy wrote:The intellectual word at large tends to loathe christian right-wingers, so don't be surprised at people telling you the place stinks.
This is true, but mostly because radical right-wingers tend to loathe intelligent thought. It works both ways, you know.

Signed,
Reasonable right-winger

DoctorNick189

Bronze

Post by DoctorNick189 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:16 pm

When in doubt, look to the Wiki...

School of Law
Regent University School of Law is housed in Robertson Hall located on the south side of the campus plaza. The law library is situated on the top floor of the university library building.[16] The school offers a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree. The current Dean is Jeffrey A. Brauch.[17]
The law school was founded in 1986.[18] The law school was approved by the American Bar Association ("ABA") in 1989[19] and received full accreditation in 1996.[20] The Law Library received the bulk of its collection after Oral Roberts University School of Law closed and donated its library to Regent University.[21]
The size of the student body numbers approximately 500 students.[20] Currently, the school offers both a full-time and a part-time track for completion of the J.D. degree.[19] For the 2007 entering class, 153 matriculated out 619 applications, the average LSAT score was 153 (out of 180) and a GPA of 3.29 (out of 4.0).[22]
[edit]Admission policies
While academic credentials are important, the admissions process also places emphasis on personal statements and recommendation letters. According to Regent, the school seeks students who are "dedicated to becoming Christian leaders who will change the world for Christ" and want "to receive a legal education integrated with Christian principles."[22]

It's a trap!

New

Post by It's a trap! » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:18 pm

nealric wrote:
If you re-read my post, I'm not contesting the Christian stance of the University. I'm simply pointing out the strong employment and bar passage stats, which are indeed facts.
The bar passage rates are accurate (but of course, most schools have strong bar passage rates). However, the employment stats are misleading, if not half-lies (like those of most schools).

As for the school itself, it can be summed up by the following LOLcat:

--ImageRemoved--
Admiral Ackbar endorses that summary. I would add that Regent has a particular reputation for essentially being the training grounds for foot soldiers in the "abortion war". That's not brought up as a judgment call, per se, just something worth noting if you're considering them to pursue your legal educaton.

glamour_gal54

New

Post by glamour_gal54 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 am

I would listen to them. I was a 1L at Regent until recently. It's a lot of money for you to spend...a lot. Trust me on this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bburn008

New

Post by bburn008 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:47 am

I have a 3.3 165 lsat and I'm looking at Regent because I want to stay in Virginia and believe I could recieve a good amount of scholarship money. But the biggest reason is that after William and Mary and UVA, Regent has the third highest bar passage rate in the state. Higher than American, GMU, Catholic, and W&L. It also has a high employment placement rate. Its a young school and thus has a lower ranking than other schools, but it is more focused on helping their students pass the bar than on recruiting higher lsat/gpa students just to get their rankings up. Im not saying its in anyway the best law school but its definately not a poor choice. Most people on here are trolls who have nothing better to do then sit around trashing schools and exaggerating their scores/gpas to make themselves feel better.

It's a trap!

New

Post by It's a trap! » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:53 am

bburn008 wrote:I have a 3.3 165 lsat and I'm looking at Regent because I want to stay in Virginia and believe I could recieve a good amount of scholarship money. But the biggest reason is that after William and Mary and UVA, Regent has the third highest bar passage rate in the state. Higher than American, GMU, Catholic, and W&L. It also has a high employment placement rate. Its a young school and thus has a lower ranking than other schools, but it is more focused on helping their students pass the bar than on recruiting higher lsat/gpa students just to get their rankings up. Im not saying its in anyway the best law school but its definately not a poor choice. Most people on here are trolls who have nothing better to do then sit around trashing schools and exaggerating their scores/gpas to make themselves feel better.
I'm bored. This bores me. But bumping this thread did bring back memories, so thanks for that.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:55 am

Speshal Snowflake is Speshal. I'm a strong Christian and even I think Regent is retarded

mighttransfer

Bronze

Post by mighttransfer » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 pm

OP: It's going to be extremely difficult to get into decent schools with your LSAT scores. I'd highly recommend seeking a waiver for a fourth try. I think you are almost definitely out at W&M as they will not admit someone your LSAT scores. As others have indicated, there are many decent and reasonable schools between Regent and W&M. Get your LSAT up and apply to the University of Richmond (located in Richmond, VA). You might be able to gain admission there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:03 pm

bburn008 wrote:I have a 3.3 165 lsat and I'm looking at Regent because I want to stay in Virginia and believe I could recieve a good amount of scholarship money. But the biggest reason is that after William and Mary and UVA, Regent has the third highest bar passage rate in the state. Higher than American, GMU, Catholic, and W&L. It also has a high employment placement rate. Its a young school and thus has a lower ranking than other schools, but it is more focused on helping their students pass the bar than on recruiting higher lsat/gpa students just to get their rankings up. Im not saying its in anyway the best law school but its definately not a poor choice. Most people on here are trolls who have nothing better to do then sit around trashing schools and exaggerating their scores/gpas to make themselves feel better.
you have a 3.1 and a 157. check you postin' history

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm really curious about what happened to the OP. I was looking through her history trying to find info on LSAT score from that December test, nada. Fyi for anyone else that might be curious as well. I guess I can tell myself she got WM

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm not even going to respond to the substance of your post because it's ridiculous, but I did want to say thanks for bumping this thread because I missed it the first time.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:45 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
you have a 3.1 and a 157. check you postin' history
check the dates. Those numbers could have easily changed in 11 months

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

klcherbe

New

Post by klcherbe » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Regent now has a 1L group of honors students. You take two classes with just the honors students and are able to have more freedom in choosing courses after your 1L year because you don't have to follow the course requirements as strictly. Almost all the honors 1Ls have a 160 LSAT or above.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:07 pm

CNUcrazy09 wrote:

I applied to the University of Maryland last year and got rejected. As I stated earlier my admissions decision depends on if my husband can get transfered to a different base. So needless to say my law school choices are minimized greatly. I am probably going to reapply to the University of Maryland again this year since I am hoping that my December 2009 lsat score will be higher.
???

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:10 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
CNUcrazy09 wrote:

I applied to the University of Maryland last year and got rejected. As I stated earlier my admissions decision depends on if my husband can get transfered to a different base. So needless to say my law school choices are minimized greatly. I am probably going to reapply to the University of Maryland again this year since I am hoping that my December 2009 lsat score will be higher.
???
This thread is a discussion from 2 years ago that people stupidly bumped up

Bodhi_mind

Bronze

Post by Bodhi_mind » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:34 pm

LMAO
Cupidity wrote:
bigboy wrote:I know a bit about the student body (not at all religious kooks, but a few who've graduated from Ive League schools, local schools like William and Mary, and UVA, etc. and some pretty left leaning people, too).

You'll just have to weigh the motivations of people who will continually rail on anything sniffing of Christianity.

Don't be discouraged.
Ok, fact-check time.

I have two friends who graduated my college last year and went to regent. They were leaders of the Republican Student Organization, planned a pro-life rally that got insane, and boycotted an event (maybe picketed would be a better word?) by an on campus GBLT organization. I've been in touch with them, they said that the student body at regent is "Nuts" and that they are the "Most liberal students there"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”