WUSTL 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
buslaw4302

New

WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Post by buslaw4302 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:55 pm

TLS was such a big help for me during my application cycle that I've decided to take time away from class to answer questions. Go ahead ask away.

Llewellyn

New

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Post by Llewellyn » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Is Greenfield your favorite professor?

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:05 pm

buslaw4302 wrote:TLS was such a big help for me during my application cycle that I've decided to take time away from class to answer questions. Go ahead ask away.
thanks for doing this...i'm thinking wustl is likely where i will end up next year.

From what you can tell, are people excited about being in the midwest/St. louis? and why did you choose wustl over schools in more popular locations like ny,dc, la?

also, i know you haven't been there very long, but have upperclassmen related stories good or bad about career services? on TLS, students have expressed some disappointment at least with general job prospects ITE.

buslaw4302

New

Post by buslaw4302 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Yes, Greenfield is by far my favorite professor.

For the most part everyone is excited to be in the midwest, there really is a lot to do in St. Louis. I chose to come here over schools in Chicago, NY, FL and made my choice primarily because of what I read about WashU through TLS, scholarship, and just reputation/ranking. From what I have seen quite a few people have turned down higher ranked (UVA, Michigan, Gtown among others) for a chance to come to WashU. No one talks about money and it wouldn't be my place to ask but most of them are from the Midwest and would like to stay in the area.

I haven't had any experiences with the CSO personally being only a month in, but I do have upperclassman friends who were and were not helped by the CSO. Their plans and ideas seem innovative and maybe ahead of the curve so they at least have a game plan to combat this economy but only time will tell for me at least. Other than that I have a few 3L friends who received firm offers at biglaw firms in NY and DC but there are others who struck out completely, I think if you have to rely on the CSO and OCI's it really will come down to grades at the end of the day like any other school.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:24 am

WUSTL is my top target school so far, and I hope to join you next year.

What is the atmosphere like there? Are students down to earth? Stuck up and full of themselves? I'm sure there is a mix of both, but, in general, which way does it lean? WUSTL has a pretty elite medical school and undergrad program. How does that contribute to the campus atmosphere?

Also, what is the cost of living like in the area around the school? Are there exciting things to do?

Finally, are the professors really engaging there? Do they try to get to know you personally, or do they just do class and then retreat to their office?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buslaw4302

New

Post by buslaw4302 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:46 am

The atmosphere is VERY collegial. I was stunned when I got here and met all of my classmates because everyone has been very friendly and open. I didn't expect it, but everyone really has a unique story and each person was in themselves interesting. Everyone has been down to earth as well. The school offers a "happy hour" every Friday which is sponsored by different student groups where everyone gathers in the common area and socializes from 4:30-6:30. Also, there is a bar review every Thursday night at a different bar each week that is very well attended. There is not too much interaction with other programs at WashU however. I don't think its an elitist thing, for the most part we just run in different circles-- if that makes any sense and haven't had many opportunities to cross paths. We also have had the opportunity to have mixers with local law offices as well as the SLU Law program as well.

The cost of living is VERY inexpensive. Depending on how you chose to live it can be very economical, but if you do chose to live alone in a high-rise apartment in the central west end, you will pay for it. On that end I have plenty of friends who chose to have anywhere from 2-3 roommates and end up paying just south of $500 per month. St. Louis is really full of things to do, but it is the Midwest and I would suggest coming to check it out for yourself especially if you are from our of town (something that I didn't do, but St. Louis is quickly growing on me).

Professors are awesome. They are by far my favorite part of the program. Each is VERY different and use different tactics but they are all very engaging. One of our professors even had a potluck dinner at his house where the class each brought a dish and were able to have a beer with the professor and his wife. They each know you by name especially once you get into your smaller group courses and each have open office hours.

NAHopeful

New

Post by NAHopeful » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:55 am

I love St. Louis.

How many hours per week do you think you'll average studying this semester?
Last edited by NAHopeful on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:58 am

Got an email from admissions, def a school im looking into

Cousin goes there and loves it

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:59 am

Was WUSTL the best ranked school you got into? If not, what school/s did you pass up to attend? Why?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buslaw4302

New

Post by buslaw4302 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:00 pm

It is tough to say being only a month in... I can give a more accurate average come December, fair?

So far, everyone's work habits really vary-- there are some people who get into the library by 8 and treat it like a job and others that show up for class, leave, and work well into the night. It is also been repeated throughout the upper classes that the "hard work" and long hours won't officially begin until just after Halloween.

pjarron

New

Post by pjarron » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:04 pm

This is a shallow question, but im curious, how are the women at WashU? Both in the law school and the rest of the university.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:05 pm

How dangerous is the area surrounding the law school? How about St. Louis in general?

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:07 pm

pjarron wrote:This is a shallow question, but im curious, how are the women at WashU? Both in the law school and the rest of the university.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buslaw4302

New

Post by buslaw4302 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:08 pm

Yes WUSTL was the best ranked school that I got into which did place a great weight into my decision. I am on lawschoolnumbers if you would like to look, buslaw4302 is my handle so you can see my cycle. I turned down much higher money elsewhere but am very happy with my decision. I took down my numbers because I would like to preserve my anonymity if at all possible, anything personal that you would like to know you can PM me but there appears that there could be a stigma against TLS (and supplements and test-prep books/companies etc.) amongst non-TLS law school students.

Women... St. Louis is FULL of very attractive women. I was pleasantly surprised and for the most part they are much more willing to talk than in other parts of the country. As far as the law school, I'll plead the fifth. But I will say our class ended up 61/39 so I am sure that admissions will correct this ratio for future cycles.

pjarron

New

Post by pjarron » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:21 pm

buslaw4302 wrote:Yes WUSTL was the best ranked school that I got into which did place a great weight into my decision. I am on lawschoolnumbers if you would like to look, buslaw4302 is my handle so you can see my cycle. I turned down much higher money elsewhere but am very happy with my decision. I took down my numbers because I would like to preserve my anonymity if at all possible, anything personal that you would like to know you can PM me but there appears that there could be a stigma against TLS (and supplements and test-prep books/companies etc.) amongst non-TLS law school students.

Women... St. Louis is FULL of very attractive women. I was pleasantly surprised and for the most part they are much more willing to talk than in other parts of the country. As far as the law school, I'll plead the fifth. But I will say our class ended up 61/39 so I am sure that admissions will correct this ratio for future cycles.
I assume you mean 61 % male and 39% female, which is tragic. Also, since you plead the fifth I am going to assume that they are lacking in the attractive female department. I will probably end up there, so this is dissapointing, but at least the campus is really pretty.

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:23 pm

pjarron wrote:
buslaw4302 wrote:Yes WUSTL was the best ranked school that I got into which did place a great weight into my decision. I am on lawschoolnumbers if you would like to look, buslaw4302 is my handle so you can see my cycle. I turned down much higher money elsewhere but am very happy with my decision. I took down my numbers because I would like to preserve my anonymity if at all possible, anything personal that you would like to know you can PM me but there appears that there could be a stigma against TLS (and supplements and test-prep books/companies etc.) amongst non-TLS law school students.

I assume you mean 61 % male and 39% female, which is tragic. Also, since you plead the fifth I am going to assume that they are lacking in the attractive female department. I will probably end up there, so this is dissapointing, but at least the campus is really pretty.
In other news, you are allowed to socialize with people outside your 1L section. Just turn off the nerd law talk and you'll be fine in the non-law school world.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:24 pm

rondemarino wrote:
pjarron wrote:

In other news, you are allowed to socialize with people outside your 1L section. Just turn off the nerd law talk and you'll be fine in the non-law school world.
FML

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Thanks for your earlier response. I have another question now. :)

Were you a splitter, and, if so, what did you do to ensure your chances of being accepted? I think I remember your profile, because you had similar numbers to what I'm going to end up with. I know WUSTL is splitter friendly if you get above their LSAT median, but that doesn't seem to guaruntee admission. I've noticed that a few people still get put on their waitlist.

pjarron

New

Post by pjarron » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:45 pm

rondemarino wrote:
pjarron wrote:

Was that like a crack or something?

buslaw4302

New

Post by buslaw4302 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:24 pm

As far as the fifth, I think the way that it works is that you are allowed to draw whatever inferences you would like... I just would like to avoid responding to it (you know, the whole self-incriminating thing?). BUT if you base a law school decision upon the amount and quality of the female class, I think you may want to reconsider. For the most part, law schools are very much like a small high school and in my opinion you are probably better off venturing off campus...

Yes 61/39 male could suck but admissions is in constant flux, two years ago there was a HUGE over-enrollment from what I understand but not this year, each year is different and constantly evolving to make up for whatever shortcomings occured in previous cycles. My best guess is that this ratio will not be repeated in the future, but again if that is what makes your decision for you, best of luck.

That being said, I was a "mild splitter." I applied late in the cycle and sent one LOCI around mid-April. I think what really got put me over the top was the fact that I was different and I made sure that everyone in admissions knew that I was not like any other applicant and I focused on what being different brought to the school itself. I think that goes for every school, everyone is unique and you want to show each school that absent you, they would be missing an important part of the class.

pjarron

New

Post by pjarron » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:35 pm

buslaw4302 wrote:As far as the fifth, I think the way that it works is that you are allowed to draw whatever inferences you would like... I just would like to avoid responding to it (you know, the whole self-incriminating thing?). BUT if you base a law school decision upon the amount and quality of the female class, I think you may want to reconsider. For the most part, law schools are very much like a small high school and in my opinion you are probably better off venturing off campus...

Yes 61/39 male could suck but admissions is in constant flux, two years ago there was a HUGE over-enrollment from what I understand but not this year, each year is different and constantly evolving to make up for whatever shortcomings occured in previous cycles. My best guess is that this ratio will not be repeated in the future, but again if that is what makes your decision for you, best of luck.

That being said, I was a "mild splitter." I applied late in the cycle and sent one LOCI around mid-April. I think what really got put me over the top was the fact that I was different and I made sure that everyone in admissions knew that I was not like any other applicant and I focused on what being different brought to the school itself. I think that goes for every school, everyone is unique and you want to show each school that absent you, they would be missing an important part of the class.
Thanks for the info, not planning on basing my law school decision on the amount of attractive women, just curious, it seems to say something about the culture of the law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

buslaw4302

New

Post by buslaw4302 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:50 pm

The culture is really very good and when I say collegial, I mean it. It is really something that you would have to see and experience to understand (I do think a tour is a great idea and if I could go back, I would have taken the opportunity [but it would not have changed my decision]). It doesn't feel as if there are far more guys than girls and the girls that are here are some of the most interesting and down to earth girls that I have ever met. I just wouldn't want to deter someone that is genuinely interested solely because there are just a few less females in the class.

And it wasn't a personal insult by any means. By the way, there are some VERY attractive women amongst the class and in the law school (as well as within the UG) if that clears up some of the confusion.

AttractiveNuisance

New

Post by AttractiveNuisance » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:58 am

In regards to the quality of the female student body, as a transfer I have seen other law schools (my own and the ones I visited while considering where to transfer) and anyone who tells you that they have a "hot" student body is just lying. Or has very low standards. It's law school... the population is just too small and I think if you made a general chart of academic success vs. attractiveness you would see a GENERAL trend of higher success equaling less attractiveness.

That being said, the 2L class at WUSTL (my class) has some very attractive girls in it. If you consider yourself good with girls, and actually are, then you can do quite well for yourself since you have less competition than you would have had in undergrad. On the other hand, if you aren't good with girls then it really doesn't matter too much anyways.

Outside of WUSTL, I was honestly shocked by the average looks of the girls in St. Louis. Being from D.C. I think I have a solid base for standards and myself and a friend who transferred with me were blown away (compared to our expectations). You have to remember that SLU is also here and the undergrad population provides for plenty of opportunities. Also, the social scene at WUSTL (at least compared to my previous school) is almost like undergrad. A LOT of people go out quite frequently (except the month leading up to exams, so I hear and plan on).

pjarron

New

Post by pjarron » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:40 pm

AttractiveNuisance wrote:In regards to the quality of the female student body, as a transfer I have seen other law schools (my own and the ones I visited while considering where to transfer) and anyone who tells you that they have a "hot" student body is just lying. Or has very low standards. It's law school... the population is just too small and I think if you made a general chart of academic success vs. attractiveness you would see a GENERAL trend of higher success equaling less attractiveness.

That being said, the 2L class at WUSTL (my class) has some very attractive girls in it. If you consider yourself good with girls, and actually are, then you can do quite well for yourself since you have less competition than you would have had in undergrad. On the other hand, if you aren't good with girls then it really doesn't matter too much anyways.

Outside of WUSTL, I was honestly shocked by the average looks of the girls in St. Louis. Being from D.C. I think I have a solid base for standards and myself and a friend who transferred with me were blown away (compared to our expectations). You have to remember that SLU is also here and the undergrad population provides for plenty of opportunities. Also, the social scene at WUSTL (at least compared to my previous school) is almost like undergrad. A LOT of people go out quite frequently (except the month leading up to exams, so I hear and plan on).
Well this sounds like good news or at least not bad news.

gprime

New

Post by gprime » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:07 pm

pjarron wrote:

I can't comment as to the female law school population (for as has been mentioned, there is little interaction between the law school and undergrad divisions), but as a current undergrad at WashU, I can assure you that there are plenty of good looking undergraduate females for you to pick up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”