Stanford 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kretzy

Silver

Re: Stanford 1L taking questions

Post by Kretzy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:46 pm

jonfen wrote:How many clinics does Stanford allow you to take? I assume not too many since they last for an entire quarter, but I am interested in two very different clinics, and was wondering if it was possible to take two before graduating?

Thank you.
You can take up to 27 hours of clinics total. A full-term clinic is 12 credit hours, and then you can also take "advanced" clinic, where you aren't working full time but still do clinical work with the full-time kids and clinic faculty.

If you're interested in two very different ones, you can do one during 2L and one during 3L. A not-insignificant number of people do it. You could then do up to 3 hours of "Advanced clinic" in one of the 2 clinics. Or you could love your first one, and do up to 15 hours of Advanced clinic in it throughout your other terms.
sfxx wrote:Can anyone link me to or post the undergraduate representation at SLS?
Lots of Stanford, Yale, Brown, Harvard, UCLA, Williams/Amherst, UVA. Fewer Princeton/Columbia/Berkeley than you'd imagine. Good smattering of the other UCs. A good number of schools with 1 person per class, like other liberal arts, top publics, etc.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:40 pm

Kretzy wrote:sfxx wrote:
Can anyone link me to or post the undergraduate representation at SLS?

Lots of Stanford, Yale, Brown, Harvard, UCLA, Williams/Amherst, UVA. Fewer Princeton/Columbia/Berkeley than you'd imagine. Good smattering of the other UCs. A good number of schools with 1 person per class, like other liberal arts, top publics, etc.
Dartmouth and MIT are quite overrepresented as well (I think our year has 4 of each). If memory serves, Y/H/S make up approximately 1/3 of the class; the other ivies, top LACs, and top publics make up another 1/3; and the last 1/3 come from a wide smattering of schools, with 1-2 people per school.

The Princeton/Columbia/Berkeley numbers are indeed surprisingly low, at least our year.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:47 am

how hard is it to get a 1L summer associate position? are multiple firm offers common (among those 1Ls who seek biglaw) or do 1Ls pretty much take whatever they can get

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:17 pm

HowdyYall wrote:how hard is it to get a 1L summer associate position? are multiple firm offers common (among those 1Ls who seek biglaw) or do 1Ls pretty much take whatever they can get
I don't think multiple firm offers were common, although I know of a few people who had them. I would guess out of the people who actively looked for summer firm jobs, maybe about half got at least one offer? I think people who really did their homework and focused on firm work (and applied early!) did better than people who just shotgunned everywhere. Having a technical background helps.

The vast majority of people take advantage of the summer PI funding to do public interest work, (many to work internationally), so it's kind of hard to judge. Most people didn't apply to firms.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Haribo wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:how hard is it to get a 1L summer associate position? are multiple firm offers common (among those 1Ls who seek biglaw) or do 1Ls pretty much take whatever they can get
I don't think multiple firm offers were common, although I know of a few people who had them. I would guess out of the people who actively looked for summer firm jobs, maybe about half got at least one offer? I think people who really did their homework and focused on firm work (and applied early!) did better than people who just shotgunned everywhere. Having a technical background helps.

The vast majority of people take advantage of the summer PI funding to do public interest work, (many to work internationally), so it's kind of hard to judge. Most people didn't apply to firms.
I'd say this is just about right; maybe just over 50% of folks who wanted firm jobs got them. People who targeted secondary markets were more successful than those who focused on the Bay Area/LA/DC/NY (though people got firm jobs in each of those places, too).

Some people who wanted firms but got very good public interest offers took those, which probably meant some people who would've gotten firms otherwise didn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:59 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Haribo wrote:

I'd say this is just about right; maybe just over 50% of folks who wanted firm jobs got them. People who targeted secondary markets were more successful than those who focused on the Bay Area/LA/DC/NY (though people got firm jobs in each of those places, too).

Some people who wanted firms but got very good public interest offers took those, which probably meant some people who would've gotten firms otherwise didn't.
thanks for the info kretzy and haribo!

dominoski

New

Post by dominoski » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:28 am

Know of anyone doing a JD/MA double degree? How feasible is it and can it be done in 3 years?

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:18 am

dominoski wrote:Know of anyone doing a JD/MA double degree? How feasible is it and can it be done in 3 years?
A solid number of students, myself included, are doing joint JD + MA/MS programs. As far as I know, all of us plan on finishing in three years. IIRC there are ~6 students my year doing the JD + MA/MS, and another ~ 6 doing JD/MBA and JD/Ph.D. I think those #s are pretty standard.

A joint JD/MA degree is certainly feasible in three years, but it will require some careful planning on your end. During your 2L and 3L years, you will likely be taking 14+ units/quarter. And if you are interested in doing a clinic at some point, it can probably be done. However, because a clinic is only 12 units and you cannot take any other concurrent classes, you will need to take a heavier course load during some of the other quarters.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 am

dominoski wrote:Know of anyone doing a JD/MA double degree? How feasible is it and can it be done in 3 years?
rising 1L, but since i may try to do the JD/MBA program and have looked into it....there's a minimum of 3 years and 1 quarter (maybe 2 quarters) for the JD/MBA specifically...i don't think it applies to any of the other JD/MA programs, but for whatever reason the JD/MBA takes extra time relative to other MA work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MaxWeber

New

Post by MaxWeber » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Last edited by MaxWeber on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birkenstockmarket

New

Post by birkenstockmarket » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:20 am

You should be okay as far as the PI funding is concerned. During admit weekend I was told that as long as you qualified for 8k in loans (read: as long as you don't personally (not your parents) have more than 71k sitting in the bank) you qualify.

so...laptops

New

Post by so...laptops » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Hey all,

Long-time TSL reader, first-time poster. I'm shopping for laptops right now and I had a few questions that I hoped I could get some help on.

Does pretty much everyone at Stanford bring laptops to class? Is it viable to take notes by hand (I preferred that in college) or will I need to use a computer?

Are there any resource-intensive programs I could possibly be using (not just for school but also for law review, clinics, etc.) or do I basically just need a laptop that can run word?

How's the outlet situation at Stanford? Do I need to be worried about battery life?

Finally, is there any particular reason Stanford requires us to have laptops? Are we going to be taking our exams on them? I.e. I need a keyboard I can type on for endless hours at a time?

I'm asking most of these questions because I use my computer A LOT and I also game a lot, so I want something pretty high-performance. But if I'm using my laptop for pretty much everything, I don't want to be lugging around a 17-inch monster. I'm mulling over getting a desktop and then just towing along my dinky old notebook for taking notes. Anyway, thanks everyone for this topic, it's been really informative so far!

P.S. Is it normal for a 1L to get a munger studio, or am I just stupidly lucky?

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:16 am

Most people use laptops in class, but not everyone (I took notes by hand my first 2.5 quarters, then got sick of transcribing them.)

Other than class, you really just need a laptop for the exams, so the only software you need is word. It's nice if the screen is big enough to have two windows open at once, although really not necessary if you plan on doing most things on your desktop.

I had a desktop/cheap laptop combo, and as I said the only problem is that transcribing notes gets old after a while. Still, it's definitely the cheapest option if you want to be able to play the occasional game and have a computer light enough that you don't feel ridiculous taking it out in class.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:48 pm

MaxWeber wrote:"The vast majority of people take advantage of the summer PI funding to do public interest work, (many to work internationally), so it's kind of hard to judge. Most people didn't apply to firms."

is summer PI funding only available to those who qualify for fin-aid?

i'm in a predicament where, even though i'm older, my parents' (who have some wealth, but are retired and putting my sister through college...) are still calculated into my "expected" contribution, and so i didn't qualify for fin-aid, but i'd like to do public sector work next summer, and eventually as a career.
To receive summer PI funding you do need to meet a need requirement: you need to have at least $8,500 in eligibility for need-based loans for the following school year. I believe this amount is based on the FAFSA. Anecdotally, I have some friends from financially secure families who still qualified. HTH!

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:23 pm

i know this is mostly 1Ls ITE, but can someone comment on where most transfers end up living?

i'm definitely going to be at SLS in the fall, and would love to live somewhere convenient. do transfers live in munger? are there still spots available at this time of year? i don't have any problem being surrounded by 1Ls, but given the start dates i'm not sure how that works.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:04 pm

are oak creek's quiet rules really as draconian as this silly email from stanford suggests?

Oak Creek has very strict rules around maintaining a quiet community. Keep your neighbors, who likely will not be Stanford students, in mind when you set the volume on your TV or stereo. If your TV or stereo can be heard from outside your apartment, then it is too loud. This standard is even more strictly enforced between 10:00 PM and 9:00 AM. During these quiet hours residents are prohibited from doing absolutely anything that can be heard outside the confines of their own apartment. Doing laundry, running the dishwasher or vacuum, slamming doors, walking or talking loudly or even taking out the garbage can result in a noise warning.

· The Oak Creek apartment complex is home to many different types of people, and the Oak Creek management works hard to create a very quiet, comfortable living environment. As guests of this community, it is important that we conform to the standards that they have set up. If you break the rules of the complex, you will only get one warning before you will be asked to leave. If you are evicted and we do not have vacancies on campus, it will be up to you to find your own off campus housing.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 am

tww909 wrote:i know this is mostly 1Ls ITE, but can someone comment on where most transfers end up living?

i'm definitely going to be at SLS in the fall, and would love to live somewhere convenient. do transfers live in munger? are there still spots available at this time of year? i don't have any problem being surrounded by 1Ls, but given the start dates i'm not sure how that works.
Definitely apply for Munger. We haven't been assigned units yet, which leads me to believe there are still some openings. But it's very much in demand. And don't worry, there will be a large number of 2Ls in Munger.

Other good alternatives are Raines and nearby off-campus housing (both of which are cheaper). I advise against Escondido Village, mostly because it's farther and too boring.

'Grats on choosing SLS! It's a great place.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:10 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
tww909 wrote:i know this is mostly 1Ls ITE, but can someone comment on where most transfers end up living?

Definitely apply for Munger. We haven't been assigned units yet, which leads me to believe there are still some openings. But it's very much in demand. And don't worry, there will be a large number of 2Ls in Munger.

Other good alternatives are Raines and nearby off-campus housing (both of which are cheaper). I advise against Escondido Village, mostly because it's farther and too boring.

The quality of life in E.V. can depend on what type of housing you draw. Midrises and highrises seem a bit "hotelish," but friends of mine who live in them seem content or even happy. A number of these people will be staying in their units next year. Lowrises are even better gigs--no waiting for elevators, huge shared backyards for frisbee and BBQs, bike locks on your patio. Stanford law school is small enough that you won't miss much by being a 5-min bikeride from Munger, and I'd argue it's a benefit to not be living within 100 yards of hundreds of future attorneys during finals week.

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:55 pm

So do any of the current students in this thread live off campus, or have any advice for finding housing off campus? I've been cruising craigslist/apartments.com/etc. for the last three weeks, and the couple times I did find something that could work, it was already taken by the time I called a few hours later. I have a dog, and it just seems like it's really impossible to find something within a ~20-minute drive from campus that allows dogs and fits within Stanford's room-and-board budget. Or is it still too early, and stuff will open up in August? I'm used to living in cities where you have to find a place at least a couple months in advance, so I'm starting to get a little worried.

My grandparents, who used to live in the area, told me I should just fly out, rent a car, and cruise around looking for "for rent" signs because they claim many people don't list on craigslist. But then again, it's been 15 years since they lived there, and that's a rather pricey way to go about finding a place (I'm only 24, so rental cars are still stupidly expensive).

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance!

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:50 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

The quality of life in E.V. can depend on what type of housing you draw. Midrises and highrises seem a bit "hotelish," but friends of mine who live in them seem content or even happy. A number of these people will be staying in their units next year. Lowrises are even better gigs--no waiting for elevators, huge shared backyards for frisbee and BBQs, bike locks on your patio. Stanford law school is small enough that you won't miss much by being a 5-min bikeride from Munger, and I'd argue it's a benefit to not be living within 100 yards of hundreds of future attorneys during finals week.
sounds good, i applied for both rains and E.V. as well as munger, if only because i really do not want to move furniture all the way out there.

how is the parking situation if you live in munger/EV? would a reasonable person want a car or is it more hassle than it's worth? i'm perfectly willing to walk 20 minutes or something to the grocery store, but if it makes living much more convenient and parking isn't impossible then i'll bring it out.

GBR37

New

Post by GBR37 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Last edited by GBR37 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks to all answering questions - I am hugely appreciative of your time and consideration.

I am an older student (29 practically middle-aged right?) with 3 young kids, I am wondering what the housing situation is like near Stanford for those of us forced off campus. I would like to live right next to the campus, in part because I need to be in the district to enter my oldest child in the lottery for spots in the public Chinese Immersion elementary school program. Will this be trouble? I moved to London with my husband and found that being a married scholar was a nightmare for housing - it really impacted my experience with the school overall. If you have comparative information about Cambridge (which also has a public Chinese-immersion program a few blocks from it), I would love to hear your thoughts on that as well.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:16 am

tww909 wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

sounds good, i applied for both rains and E.V. as well as munger, if only because i really do not want to move furniture all the way out there.

how is the parking situation if you live in munger/EV? would a reasonable person want a car or is it more hassle than it's worth? i'm perfectly willing to walk 20 minutes or something to the grocery store, but if it makes living much more convenient and parking isn't impossible then i'll bring it out.
I made it this year without a car and didn't have too much trouble. My roommate didn't have a set of wheels either. That said, I was totally dependent on generous friends to give me a lift to the grocery store at least once a week; I quickly discovered that biking with bags of grocercies just wasn't worth it. In EV you would be able to park right outside your place if you draw a lowrise.

Nice avatar, btw.

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:49 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:I made it this year without a car and didn't have too much trouble. My roommate didn't have a set of wheels either. That said, I was totally dependent on generous friends to give me a lift to the grocery store at least once a week; I quickly discovered that biking with bags of grocercies just wasn't worth it. In EV you would be able to park right outside your place if you draw a lowrise.

Nice avatar, btw.
nice avatar for you too. i'm pretty sure the only thing i like more than drinking is jazz.

apparently it's not very likely i will get grad housing, and we won't find out until august 10. i may have to find something off campus. i wish i could focus on oci and the write on without having to work about finding a place to live in 3 weeks.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:17 pm

tww909 wrote:nice avatar for you too. i'm pretty sure the only thing i like more than drinking is jazz.
Yup that settles it. You're going to fit in here just fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”