Suffolk University Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ihatelaw

Bronze

Re: Suffolk University

Post by ihatelaw » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:24 pm

they jacked the price up. the T is 1.70 per ride with a charlie card, commuter rail varies based on where you are going

also, suffolk has a great reputation within mass and boston considering its T3. lots of great government jobs are possible.

lioness

New

Post by lioness » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:55 pm

I live about 1 hour away from Boston and the commuter rail costs $13.50 round trip. That cost changes depending how far or close you live w/ respect to Boston. That's just for the train. If you have to take the subway, it will be another fee. However, if you buy a bus pass, that includes free subway. For example, my monthly bus pass costs the equivalent of 16.5 round (commuter rail) trips into Boston.

Check your school's web site. You might get a small discount for ordering your bus passes through your school.

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Thank you for the info. I really want to work for the government which is why I like Suffolk a lot. I am just concerned that a government salary combined with paying back loans may make it extremely tough to live near Boston.

lioness

New

Post by lioness » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:23 pm

Suffolk has a night program so you could work during the day and minimize how much you borrow.

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:42 am

TO save money I am living with my parents north of Boston. I pay 250 per month (well actually less because of a discount from Suffolk) for a monthly T pass. This covers everything (because i live in the furthest, most expensive zone). There are places to live in the greater Boston area which are cheaper than 2 grand a month. I have been looking at apartments everywhere from Revere to Salem, MA. Revere is serviced by the Blue line so that would cost 2 dollars a ride. You could get a place in Revere or Salem for under 1000 a month easily.

Sorry for the semi rambling message I am grieving the Pats loss right now and I am taking a short break from my Persuasive memo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:52 am

How many ways is that $2000 split? Here in Iowa I am paying around $400/month for rent and utilities. I have two other roommates so it is roughly $1200/mo for a 3 bedroom. If the $2000 is for a 3 bedroom place then that isn't as bad as what I would have thought.

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:55 am

Night school is an option. I just do not know how hard it would be to handle work and law school. I worked nearly full time my last year and a half of school and did not do well. Basically the reason why I am looking at Suffolk rather than BC my grades dropped that much, but I have found that despite what they say, schools do not pay attention to that.

paulie

New

Post by paulie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:53 am

knberger wrote:How many ways is that $2000 split? Here in Iowa I am paying around $400/month for rent and utilities. I have two other roommates so it is roughly $1200/mo for a 3 bedroom. If the $2000 is for a 3 bedroom place then that isn't as bad as what I would have thought.
$2000 for a 3 bedroom place sounds like something you can reasonably expect to find, though not right in downtown Boston -- I think my parents are renting out a pretty nice 3 bedroom in Brighton near BC for that much right now. If you decide to go to Suffolk, you can pretty much live on any subway since it has all the subway lines within a 5-10 minute walking distance. I'm not a big fan of Revere and Salem as another poster suggested though... if I ever moved back to Boston I think I'd live in Jamaica Plain, though Cambridge Somerville might be closer on the subway to Suffolk.

angiejolie

New

Post by angiejolie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:54 pm

Jamaica Plain
for some reason i thought Jamaica Plain was one of the "bad" areas...

i know that Roxbury and Dorchester are...maybe i was just confused...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:24 am

Every "bad area" has its good spots...

Anywhere near Suffolk in the city will cost you an arm and a leg. If you are looking to move into the Boston area the best thing you could do would be to figure out where the T goes and find a place near the T.
Suffolk is about 10 steps from the Park Street station on the red and green lines. It is also a 3 minute walk from Downtown Crossings on the Red and Orange lines. It is also maybe a 5 minute walk from Government center on the Blue and Green lines. You could live off of any line in Boston and when you get off the T have no more than a 5 minute walk.

The majority of my classmates that live in the immediate metro Boston area live in Alston, Brighton, South Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville.

For more info on the T check out http://www.mbta.com this is the T's webpage

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:32 pm

Finally got my acceptance yesterday!

Player30

New

Post by Player30 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:39 pm

Im in at Suffolk baby...yesterday

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Are you thinking of going there player, or are you preferring a different school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

angiejolie

New

Post by angiejolie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:04 pm

congrats both of you!

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:50 pm

Thanks. I am thinking of visiting soon. Is Suffolk still one of your top choices Angie?

angiejolie

New

Post by angiejolie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:11 pm

knberger wrote:Thanks. I am thinking of visiting soon. Is Suffolk still one of your top choices Angie?
i think its number 2 right now. i am expecting to get waitlisted/accepted at northeastern, which i think is number 1. but i am wanting to visit too, just to understand each of them better.

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:38 am

Congrats to both of you
When you are you going to visit both schools? Before you visit you should check out both schools websites to see whats going on at the school. At Suffolk we regularly have interesting talks by professors and politicians. My constitutional law professor (Professor Avery, an attorney in the electronic surveillance cases and a lot of other constitutional cases) has given many interesting talks on civil rights.
Again congratulation to both of you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diana341

New

Post by Diana341 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:35 am

Last edited by Diana341 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diana341

New

Post by Diana341 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:37 am

Last edited by Diana341 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vtjas81

New

Post by vtjas81 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:54 am

Diana341 wrote:
vtjas81 wrote:For a third tier law school it seems to have a good rep in Boston. But then again I see ads everywhere for Suffolk like if it was University of Phoenix or something
Every school advertises. Look at all the BU and Harvard ads for their extension programs.

I ride the T a lot and I see Suffolk and Umass advertised a lot. I've never seen Suffolk law advertised but I saw many of their grad programs were. I haven't seen any for BU but I saw one from Harvard for their language program. Suffolk does seem to advertise heavily though.

legolas

New

Post by legolas » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:59 am

i am 2L at suffolk. i attend the evening school, and work full time for a large ip form in boston. please feel free to ask me questions. i will bookmark this page and check for the next week. thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Player30

New

Post by Player30 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:23 pm

Easy to make friends? Cooperative or cutthroat? What does the average student get jobwise?

newenglandguy

New

Post by newenglandguy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 am

Bump. Would love to hear about previous question.

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:16 pm

I just finished my first year at Suffolk. Many of my friends are doing Public interest work during the summer. I am currently working for an attorney in my home town of Newburyport while sending out resumes and applying to more jobs. I have gone on 3 interviews so far, one for a job where I was not really a good match (they wanted a night student. I am a day student) and one yesterday at Liberty Mutual (not a legal job per se but it has some legal aspects).

I would classify Suffolk as a relatively friendly school. I hung out with students outside of class and many students would get together on the weekends and bar hop etc. I had no problem making friends (but by nature i am a friendly person). I even made friends with students in other sections and other years.

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:22 am

Continuing my prior thought. There is a competitive edge to the students (mostly around the top 1/3). I have encountered many Suffolk alum in my summer experience. In the building I was working in (3 small firms) there were 5 Suffolk Alum out of 8 Lawyers. I have also encountered Suffolk alum at larger firms and in the state house.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”