Suffolk University Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
seanpatin

New

Suffolk University

Post by seanpatin » Thu May 24, 2007 6:00 pm

What are the career prospects and campus like at Suffolk? I have heard mixed reviews about the school.

rollin2447

New

Post by rollin2447 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:11 pm

i've been told that in terms of career prospects that Suffolk is just as competitive as BU and BC grads in the boston area, but outside of mass it becomes much more difficult.

mtb710

New

Post by mtb710 » Thu May 24, 2007 9:22 pm

Suffolk has some great connections in Boston, particularly in state and city government. I have a friend who worked for the Suffolk county DA's office and most of the attorneys there were Suffolk grads. Obviously, its reach is limited to the Boston area, but the opportunities it affords within that area are on par with much more prestigious law schools.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Fri May 25, 2007 12:13 am

mtb710

New

Post by mtb710 » Fri May 25, 2007 12:28 am

Good point. It's on par with more prestigious schools for mid-law and public sector in Boston. It obviously doesn't afford much in terms in BigLaw, at least not right away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:16 pm

I would say that everything said here seems about right. I am currently a 1L at Suffolk if anyone else here goes to Suffolk let me know.

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:13 am

I am thinking about going to Suffolk. It is not my first choice, but my numbers weren't the best in the world, though I have worked for a few years out of college. I still have an outside chance at getting into two of my higher choice schools though.

I visited Boston earlier this year and absolutely loved it. They had everything I really wanted in a city. Also, I want to work for the government so that is fine (I determined a long time ago that biglaw is not for me, thank you to abovethelaw.com) with a possibility of working for a smaller law firm.

Are there any other draw backs to the school besides only being able to get a job in Boston? I haven't heard much about the school from anyone else. I just know I liked them after doing a little bit of research on them. Thanks!

sailorbear2008

New

Post by sailorbear2008 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:37 am

So we have two posters both from Iowa City and both seriously looking at Suffolk. That's a small world.

Oh, and I was curious about Suffolk too, which is why I clicked on it.

angiejolie

New

Post by angiejolie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:50 pm

from what i have heard from my boston peeps (cant believe i just wrote that) is that it is really well known in the boston market, and probably within mass too.

i got accepted there, and am considering it. its #4 for my rankings, and i have yet to hear from #2/3 so we shall see.

big plus for it though it the location. was just there in may and got to see it. its literally right in the middle of downtown, where all the action is. and its really new also, which is great.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:55 pm

Yeah it is a small world. A guy I work with is originally from Boston and is looking at Suffolk too. Iowa is my top choice but my numbers weren't great so I may not get in. I have other schools above Suffolk, but they are real reaches. Suffolk is probably my #1 school that I know I can get into (Iowa may let me in for in state residency). Basically I visited Boston and absolutely loved the city. I heard it was a good school for the region considering I cannot get into BU, BC, or Harvard. So I figured it would be a good school considering I loved the city. I also loved the law building when I visited. Granted I did visit Boston during the ALCS so that may have tainted my outlook on the city!

Anyone else have any interesting info about Suffolk?

holla2007

New

Post by holla2007 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:06 am

The only negative I have heard is that it doesn't really feel like a campus. Regional rep is good though, especially in IP law, or so I hear.

Ashcroft

New

Post by Ashcroft » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:41 am

Is anyone here able to offer a comparison between Suffolk and Northeastern? Aside from Northeastern being ranked higher, are there significant benefits to one over the other?

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:23 am

Looking at Northeastern's website, they are geared towards public interest law. They also don't give out grades, which really hurts in getting jobs. So to me it looked like Suffolk was better for job prospects at least. I really liked their campus though. Suffolk was just one big building right downtown, so you would have to commute there every day.

Does anyone else have any info? I am curious also as the no grades thing really made me not apply to Northeastern (besides their huge fee, and Suffolk was free). It just seemed to me Suffolk was better than them despite the ranking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KennyinGrinnell

New

Re: Suffolk University

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:47 pm

As a current student a suffolk law school (1L) I may be able to help you all....
I commute to school from an hour away every day, many of my fellow classmates live in the city or just outside the city (boston itself is actually a lot smaller than people think). It is a pain to commute to school but the school really is smack dab in the heart of downtown Boston.
Suffolk is well known and respected in the Boston and Massachusetts market. Many Lawyers I know went to Suffolk...
Which is another thing, It is a big school (the lawschool that is). There are a lot more students at Suffolk, compared to Northeastern.
Boston is a little warmer than Iowa too, there is a lot less wind

angiejolie

New

Post by angiejolie » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:23 pm

kenny, can i ask you a few questions about suffolk? my options are dwindling and i am expecting to end up there, so i have a few questions about it.

do you know, outside of boston, what type of reputation does suffolk have? in other words, is it easy to move around with a suffolk law degree?

how do you consider the quality of your classes? professors? other students?

are you happy with your experience at suffolk?

thanks!

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:30 pm

Does anyone know when decisions are being made for Suffolk? Just curious, as I got waitlisted at one school and accepted at another already. Has anyone heard from Suffolk?

It seems like everyone likes Suffolk around here which is a good thing to hear! At least it makes me feel a little better about the school!

Boston007

New

Post by Boston007 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:48 pm

I just received an acceptance letter from Suffolk - it was sent out Jan. 9th. I'm attending the evening/part-time division though, so I'm not sure about the timeline for day/full-time admissions.

Did anyone else apply to the pt evening program? I called to get information regarding whether they were going to grant me a scholarship and I'm wondering what kind of scholarships/grants (academic based/not need-based) other applicants or current students at Suffolk may have received. I am not sure what the norm is or what is considering a "good" grant, but I have heard that part-time programs tend to offer less in grants than full-time programs.

Also, any feedback available out there from current evening division students?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Maximus

New

Post by Maximus » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:56 pm

I applied to the evening division as well but have yet to hear. I received an email stating that most decisions will be made by March. Boston, what are your numbers?

angiejolie

New

Post by angiejolie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:53 pm

i got my acceptance letter in early december, after going complete at the end of november.

i didnt expect it so early, so it was a nice christmas gift...knowing that i am for sure going to law school.

oh, i applied full-time

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:12 am

Well, Suffolk is well known throughout Massachusetts and at least most of New England. Beyond New England career prospects dwindle although I believe I read somewhere that there are Suffolk grads practicing in all 50 states. (Do not quote me on that though) I know that a few of the big firms in Boston recruit from Suffolk, which is always a good sign considering Suffolk has to compete with Harvard, Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern, and New England School of Law in the same 10 mile radius. Basically Suffolk is not a bad school to consider if you plan on staying within New England.

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:45 pm

Quick decision Angie. I went complete at the beginning of December and have yet to hear. They are my number two behind my alma mater. So I am pretty anxious! Sounds like the school is pretty good, considering I love New England.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

angiejolie

New

Post by angiejolie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:32 pm

yeah, it suprised me too. i'm still waiting to hear from another school in boston, but if i dont get in there, im going to suffolk. it does seem pretty good and i think i would be happy there. good luck to you, kn!

vtjas81

New

Post by vtjas81 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:49 pm

For a third tier law school it seems to have a good rep in Boston. But then again I see ads everywhere for Suffolk like if it was University of Phoenix or something

KennyinGrinnell

New

Post by KennyinGrinnell » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:00 pm

If you are talking about the advertisements on the T those are for the certificate and masters programs.
The schedule for 1L day students is...
* = year long course
Fall Spring
Civil Procedure * Civil Procedure *
Property * Property *
Torts * Torts*
Contracts * Contracts *
Legal Practice Skills * Legal Practice Skills *
Criminal Law Constitutional Law

There are 4 day sections of about 80 students (give or take I am not sure exactly)
My first class has never been before 10am and I have never ended classes for the day after 4pm. Suffolk is a great option for students who commute to school because of the schedule. I live close to New Hampshire and take the commuter rail into Boston every morning and I know of many other students who travel from outside Boston and its immediate suburbs.

knberger

New

Post by knberger » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:22 pm

How expensive is the commuter rail? I am not from the Boston area, so all I can remember is that a subway ride is about $2. Basically I visited Boston and absolutely loved it, which is why I am considering Suffolk. I do know it is really expensive to live in the city and many of the suburbs, so I was wondering what the price of a commuter rail ride as living away from Boston is a definite option.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”