Attention: Fordham Law Students Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Detail

New

Re: Attention: Fordham Law Students

Post by Detail » Thu May 14, 2009 2:49 am

OperaSoprano wrote: You underestimate my powers, of, um, just don't killself, Detail, k? You will totally interfere with my plans to make Fordham a T10 before that new building is finished!
I'm not making any promises, but I guess I'll always have the Cooley degree to fall back on. :mrgreen:

It's top 12, right? right?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu May 14, 2009 3:00 am

Detail wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: You underestimate my powers, of, um, just don't killself, Detail, k? You will totally interfere with my plans to make Fordham a T10 before that new building is finished!
I'm not making any promises, but I guess I'll always have the Cooley degree to fall back on. :mrgreen:

It's top 12, right? right?
You're already in at at least one T14!

(I feel you on what you said about practicality vs going where you'd be happy. Many, many people told me that I had to retake and ED T14, no matter what. If you would be happiest at one of those schools, you should definitely go, but you will not be a pauper if you go down another road. I said once that I believe personal happiness trumps all. I still do. I still do.)

Detail

New

Post by Detail » Thu May 14, 2009 3:26 am

OperaSoprano wrote: (I feel you on what you said about practicality vs going where you'd be happy. Many, many people told me that I had to retake and ED T14, no matter what. If you would be happiest at one of those schools, you should definitely go, but you will not be a pauper if you go down another road. I said once that I believe personal happiness trumps all. I still do. I still do.)
Unfortunately I could (realistically) only improve my GPA marginally senior year, but it would still wouldn't crack 25% at YHSB. I really wish I chose a BA major at an easier school. It would have saved me a ton of money to boot.

I guess I could always try transferring to Stanford where everyone is happy happy? It sucks how there's only two T14s in California, and both are so splitter unfriendly.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu May 14, 2009 10:42 am

Detail wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: (I feel you on what you said about practicality vs going where you'd be happy. Many, many people told me that I had to retake and ED T14, no matter what. If you would be happiest at one of those schools, you should definitely go, but you will not be a pauper if you go down another road. I said once that I believe personal happiness trumps all. I still do. I still do.)
Unfortunately I could (realistically) only improve my GPA marginally senior year, but it would still wouldn't crack 25% at YHSB. I really wish I chose a BA major at an easier school. It would have saved me a ton of money to boot.

I guess I could always try transferring to Stanford where everyone is happy happy? It sucks how there's only two T14s in California, and both are so splitter unfriendly.
The splitter thing is so true. My GPA was forever ruined by incompletes that turned into Fs when I was in the hospital my junior year. It's my fault; I should have dealt with them. I had above a 3.6 after I transferred and finally graduated, but I will never be more than a splitter. LSAC gave me a 3.37.

I'm very happy to have Fordham. I would basically have had to crack the T14 to find a school I liked better, and though I believed I could hit 170 by June (I was so close when I got the Fordham news), it seemed like a huge risk, given my GPA.

All the top CA schools hate splitters! UCLA is just as bad. I grew up in Palo Alto. My high school is across the street from Stanford. (I am a true Manhattan native, though, born during my mom's residency at Mount Sinai.) My parents would like me to move back, but even Hastings didn't want me.

(Given my circumstance, Fordham really was a miracle.)

I hope you get the T14 of your choice, Detail! It would be awesome to transfer to Stanford!

For my part, I couldn't wait any more, and I didn't want to risk throwing away happiness. I hope no one faults me for this decision. I'm proud of the distance I have come, even if I won't be at a T14 this Fall.

r973

New

Post by r973 » Sat May 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Hey, does anyone here know what GPA is usually needed to be in the top 50%, 25%, 10%, etc at Fordham?

Also, what about to get onto the law review journal - what gpa is usually the cutoff?

I know these numbers vary from year to year, but I just would like an average estimate so see if I am screwed or not.

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:24 pm

r973 wrote:Hey, does anyone here know what GPA is usually needed to be in the top 50%, 25%, 10%, etc at Fordham?

Also, what about to get onto the law review journal - what gpa is usually the cutoff?

I know these numbers vary from year to year, but I just would like an average estimate so see if I am screwed or not.

Thanks

whatever you do, don't ask anyone at your school

halflink123

New

Post by halflink123 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Fordham law school is total crap. After you get in, you'll realize why the initials are F.U. law school.

This from a FLS grad.

But hey, don't take my word for it...

frost

Bronze

Post by frost » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:57 am

halflink123 wrote:Fordham law school is total crap. After you get in, you'll realize why the initials are F.U. law school.

This from a FLS grad.

But hey, don't take my word for it...
can you be more specific?

i'm a current student. you must be pretty bitter to resurrect a year-old thread with your useless post. the school has treated me well. i'm happy to be there, got great friends, great professors, and there's great opportunities if you work for it.

halflink123

New

Post by halflink123 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Yes - I'm "bitter". OH NO!! Please anything but the b-word! Next time if you want to make a point I suggest you steer away from name calling and actually present some facts to back up your assertions.

Your post is no less useless than mine. In fact more so - it is pure F.U. PR drivel. I would at least ask for compensation from F.U. before I get the pom-poms out. You are also a liar. But then again, liars fit in great there, so maybe if you are who you say you are, you like it.

I suggest you ask the 35%+ of the class that's unemployed if they're "bitter". But don't do it to their face or you might sense a pummel of clenched fists coming at you like a hailstorm.

Tick tick tick I sense a lame reply coming on.

BTW who's the bitter loser? Me or the guy with 161 posts on some online message board. Makes me wonder how the kids from Fordham on here can post hundreds if not thousands of times (see OperaSoprano) and ever live anything resembling a life.

Thanks for making me feel better already. The factory of your manufacture thanks you for your comment. I don't need to remind you that you should return to the factory before you run low on oil, or whatever they put into you things nowadays. Or maybe they will just replace you with the 2.0 model - I hear those will run on solar panels. Peace out homeslice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:41 pm

halflink123 wrote:Yes - I'm "bitter". OH NO!! Please anything but the b-word! Next time if you want to make a point I suggest you steer away from name calling and actually present some facts to back up your assertions.

Your post is no less useless than mine. In fact more so - it is pure F.U. PR drivel. I would at least ask for compensation from F.U. before I get the pom-poms out. You are also a liar. But then again, liars fit in great there, so maybe if you are who you say you are, you like it.

I suggest you ask the 35%+ of the class that's unemployed if they're "bitter". But don't do it to their face or you might sense a pummel of clenched fists coming at you like a hailstorm.

Tick tick tick I sense a lame reply coming on.

BTW who's the bitter loser? Me or the guy with 161 posts on some online message board. Makes me wonder how the kids from Fordham on here can post hundreds if not thousands of times (see OperaSoprano) and ever live anything resembling a life.

Thanks for making me feel better already. The factory of your manufacture thanks you for your comment. I don't need to remind you that you should return to the factory before you run low on oil, or whatever they put into you things nowadays. Or maybe they will just replace you with the 2.0 model - I hear those will run on solar panels. Peace out homeslice.

Did you go to Fordham expecting that 100% of the class would be employed 9 months from graduation? If so, I have a gorgeous mansion in the Hamptons for you. Just $500. PM me for wire instructions.

In any event, at this stage of your career, it might behoove you to spend less time burning bridges and more time building them.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Hate to beat a dead horse but d-bag was pretty on the nose. A lot of discouraged Fordham heads drooping in Lincoln Center/ Columbus Circle.

But that's not the real crime. The REAL crime is that they raise tuition $2k without improving anything. There was an event the other day and they had the nerve to put a sign in the hallway "Event in progress, please use other hallway." Some "exclusive" event.

I laughed. "Near 50k and they don't want me to use this MAIN hallway?" Fuck that. I went through the event, grabbed myself a soda from the event in one of those FOrdham cups with the logo on it and a piece of sandwich, and kept walking.

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Point me to a place where there are no drooping heads...

The tuition hike is unfortunate. There is very little transparency in terms of how law schools operate and what justifies these tuition hikes and Fordham is no exception. Although I'll note that it's not quite fair to say they are doing nothing; they are after all putting up a new building for the law school in the middle of UWS, which, if you will believe me, ain't that cheap.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Master Tofu wrote:Point me to a place where there are no drooping heads...

The tuition hike is unfortunate. There is very little transparency in terms of how law schools operate and what justifies these tuition hikes and Fordham is no exception. Although I'll note that it's not quite fair to say they are doing nothing; they are after all putting up a new building for the law school in the middle of UWS, which, if you will believe me, ain't that cheap.
Other places have nothing to do with it. The "Fordham Crusaders" in this thread and on this board attacked some dude who happened to be 100% right. There is a lot of misguided info on this board about Fordham. It's a great school but as far as job prospects, it's not where anyone should be if they're paying over 100K.

This is already one of the most expensive schools in the country and it offers VERY little scholarship money even for people with good numbers. And doing nothing is the right way to put it. They're doing nothing. Nothing doesn't mean working hard. It means results. That new building isn't going to do much without employment results. With little scholarship $, higher tuition, and poor employment prospects, Fordham will be right there with Brooklyn and 'Dozo in a few years, if not now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:39 pm

I think it is important to note what you can fault the administration for and what you can't. First, job prospects is what it is. There is nothing I can say about it. If this is your primary gripe, then we should've had this conversation before you started law school.

With regard to tuition, I don't know if it is indeed one of the most expensive law schools in the country, my recollections were that it was the same as peers. The issue isn't that the administration refuses to care for its students, but that it has limited resources. I think there are a couple of reasons. First, the law school shares revenues with the university at large so not all the tuition that you pay goes back into the law school. Some of your tuition dollars go toward subsidizing less profitable schools like the School of Social Work. Second, the law school has a pitifully small endowment compared to peer schools. I believe even Cardozo has a larger endowment than Fordham. That puts pressure on the current students because, in other schools, the large endowments help contain costs, fund scholarships and keep tuition low.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:09 pm

First, job prospects is what it is. There is nothing I can say about it. If this is your primary gripe, then we should've had this conversation before you started law school.
What else is law school for or about other than jobs?

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:11 pm

MrAnon wrote:
First, job prospects is what it is. There is nothing I can say about it. If this is your primary gripe, then we should've had this conversation before you started law school.
What else is law school for or about other than jobs?

Read the second half of the sentence. That should be part of your pre-LS diligence.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:09 pm

So you are saying the job prospects are bad, that its a given, and you accept that and proceed to the school?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:25 pm

You do research before going to law school, and if you decide to go to the law school despite your research, you assume the risks when you walk in with your eyes open.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:52 pm

The NY Times article about NYLS says that many law schools pay 20% to 30% to the overall university.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=160820

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:14 pm

sunynp wrote:The NY Times article about NYLS says that many law schools pay 20% to 30% to the overall university.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=160820

Some schools pay more, and some less. My understanding is that Fordham is on the high end of the spectrum. I thought I heard 40% tossed around in one of my conversations but I don't remember enough to say this with any confidence.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:49 pm

So what if Fordham pays a lot to Fordham. What if Fordham pays 80% to Fordham? Does that give them the right to jack tuition up to $450,000 per year?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:25 pm

MrAnon wrote:So what if Fordham pays a lot to Fordham. What if Fordham pays 80% to Fordham? Does that give them the right to jack tuition up to $450,000 per year?

Reading comprehension...

I didn't say that gives them the right to raise tuition (although I think they always have the right to raise tuition, as does any other other law school; the future students also have a right not to attend). I am giving you background so you can understand why things are the way they are.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 pm

MrAnon wrote:So what if Fordham pays a lot to Fordham. What if Fordham pays 80% to Fordham? Does that give them the right to jack tuition up to $450,000 per year?
No, actually, I meant the opposite. I was agreeing with your earlier point that the school sends a significant amount of money to the university. I think that the law school should not be used as a cash cow for the other departments. My feeling is that 90% of tuition should benefit law students. Or the tuition should just be lower all around.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”