Florida Law Schools Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FSUgrad07

New

Florida Law Schools

Post by FSUgrad07 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:57 pm

Good Afternoon All,

I am a recent undergrad in business at FSU and have been thinking about law school since I graduated just over a year ago. I live in the Tampa Bay area and now I am seriously considering applying to a law school in FL for 2010 fall term.

I am only looking in FL and would be perfectly happy attending law school and practicing just in FL. I'm at the beginning of the application process and I'm just trying to decide which FL law school would be the best fit for me. I was thinking that I would practice contract law or corporate litigation upon completing law school but that's honestly just based on my undergrad and work experience so who knows, I could very easily find interest in practicing something different once I'm actually in a program.

Does anyone have any insight or opinions on what school in FL would be best for business practice? I am also considering applying for JD/MBA program.....any thoughts......

starky259

New

Re: Florida Law Schools

Post by starky259 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:58 pm

Simple, UF. That might be hard to swallow as an FSU grad but their school is better for that kind of stuff.

FSUgrad07

New

Post by FSUgrad07 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Yeah that is a really really tough one to swallow. Given the area I live, I was considering applying to Stetson...I was fortunate and blessed enough to have a scholarship and graduate debt free from undergrad so the thought of private school debt is really scary and honestly freaks me out...but the majority of law schools in FL ARE private so I have to keep options open. Does anyone know anything about Barry in Orlando?

starky259

New

Post by starky259 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:31 pm

I work with a couple of Barry 3L's, they seem to like it. Barry is very good at placing people in internships and I'm assuming that would translate to an ability to place graduates. It doesn't have a stellar reputation but it is accredited and you will be pretty competitive in the Orlando market if you want to end up here.

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Fri May 01, 2009 12:13 am

are you kidding?? do NOT go to Barry!!! they offered me a huge scholarship in the mail, and I had never even applied!!! I scored a 162 on the LSAT..... imagine how many other people got the same offer!!! That school is a joke. If you are looking to stay close to where you are, I would recommend Stetson. It is not the toughest school to get into, but I have lived in Tampa all my life (until UG at fsu) and it has a great reputation in the area. If you are going to apply only to FL schools, go stetson, fsu, miami, and, if you could stand to live in gainesville for three years, uf.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

samsocks

New

Post by samsocks » Fri May 01, 2009 2:43 pm

I go to UF now and was looking to leave Florida for law school so I didn't look too closely at the schools, but I would only go to: UF, FSU, Stetson, or Miami. That's it. I hate Gainesville so I'd probably try to go to FSU and I like Stetson, but it seems ridiculously regional - like Tampa area only. I guess unless you do really well of course. I've never even heard of Barry and I'm in FL right now. If you have the LSAT and GPA for it, go to UF or FSU. If you're a little lower go to Miami or Stetson. But that's it.

NoTroublesBubbles

New

Post by NoTroublesBubbles » Fri May 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Do you have any preference of the area of law or area of FL that you ultimately end up in? If you have the option then UF, FSU, or Stetson are the top three choices. Stetson is regional, but very well known in the state and wouldn't require you to move. Depending on your LSAT/GPA you might be able to get a scholarship out of them, so the private-cost wouldn't have to be as scary.

willis14

New

Post by willis14 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:23 am

I have been accepted to FIU, NOVA, and Stetson. I am currently living in North Carolina but I am really attracted to the south florida area; I'm actually flying down to fort lauderdale to check out FIU and NOVA first hand since I have so many questions. It seems as though Stetson is the obvious choice, but what do you guys know about FIU and NOVA. Any input would help a bunch!

thanks

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:43 am

willis14 wrote:I have been accepted to FIU, NOVA, and Stetson. I am currently living in North Carolina but I am really attracted to the south florida area; I'm actually flying down to fort lauderdale to check out FIU and NOVA first hand since I have so many questions. It seems as though Stetson is the obvious choice, but what do you guys know about FIU and NOVA. Any input would help a bunch!

thanks
They're all strong schools in the South Florida market. You're better off going to the school with the best scholly offer, since the school isn't going to get you the job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GoBroncos

New

Post by GoBroncos » Wed May 13, 2009 12:40 pm

I am currently looking seriously at UF, FSU, Miami and Stetson. Can anyone give me an idea of what score I would need on the LSAT to be a probable candidate for scholarship at Stetson? My UGPA is 3.9 and change.

carrowd3

New

Post by carrowd3 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:03 am

160 is my guess

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:21 am

Go to UF, UNLESS you are dying to live in Miami and can get a good scholarship to UM (from what I understand if you have numbers above their averages you should be able to accomplish this).

To the other point 160 is likely sufficient, anything between there and 165 should get you a decent scholarship to any FL school.

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:24 pm

I would recommend UF ( Ill be going there this fall). As for stetson, probably 160+ but there is no guarentee, I was 3.5 165 and didnt get one, and thats with being from the area, a few relatives who went there for law school, etc. If all other things are equal then UF is the best choice, unless you want to practice in Miami and get money from UM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GoBroncos

New

Post by GoBroncos » Thu May 14, 2009 5:18 pm

Great, thanks for the input.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon May 18, 2009 11:03 pm

willis14 wrote:I have been accepted to FIU, NOVA, and Stetson. I am currently living in North Carolina but I am really attracted to the south florida area; I'm actually flying down to fort lauderdale to check out FIU and NOVA first hand since I have so many questions. It seems as though Stetson is the obvious choice, but what do you guys know about FIU and NOVA. Any input would help a bunch!

thanks
prepare to blown away by the FIU facilities....chose FIU over Stetson and Miami

willis14

New

Post by willis14 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:13 am

flhealth wrote:

thanks
so i visited and really like FIU and found out that in-state tuition is even available after the first year. but i also received a 20k/year scholy from NOVA...I'm really torn between a really new school in FIU and a more established school in NOVA... any thoughts

missmissy

New

Post by missmissy » Wed May 27, 2009 12:20 pm

so i visited and really like FIU and found out that in-state tuition is even available after the first year. but i also received a 20k/year scholy from NOVA...I'm really torn between a really new school in FIU and a more established school in NOVA... any thoughts[/quote]

I applied to both schools Nova and FIU and visited and considered both of them. If I had to choose between either one of I would go to FIU hands down. Although, FIU is younger, I think Nova doesn't have the respect it should have in the so. florida area. FIU to me seems like it has a lot of potential to be a top contender in fla when it comes to law schools. and when it comes to facilities i agree with flhealth, FIU trumps Nova. When i visited nova, i was disappointed big time with their campus!! old..and not student friendly!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legal1

New

Post by legal1 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:56 pm

[quote="willis14"]I have been accepted to FIU, NOVA, and Stetson. I am currently living in North Carolina but I am really attracted to the south florida area; I'm actually flying down to fort lauderdale to check out FIU and NOVA first hand since I have so many questions. It seems as though Stetson is the obvious choice, but what do you guys know about FIU and NOVA. Any input would help a bunch!

thanks[/quot\\\

I was accepted to all 3. FIU is new but to live there you need to speak spanish and it is in the middle of littlle Havana. Nova offered me 30000 but i withdrew cause the school is low 4th tier, I chose Stetson. It is A great school ,location etc. :
Last edited by legal1 on Sat May 30, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legal1

New

Post by legal1 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:58 pm

GoBroncos wrote:I am currently looking seriously at UF, FSU, Miami and Stetson. Can anyone give me an idea of what score I would need on the LSAT to be a probable candidate for scholarship at Stetson? My UGPA is 3.9 and change.

159 or better

legal1

New

Post by legal1 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:09 pm

willis14 wrote:
flhealth wrote:

thanks
so i visited and really like FIU and found out that in-state tuition is even available after the first year. but i also received a 20k/year scholy from NOVA...I'm really torn between a really new school in FIU and a more established school in NOVA... any thoughts

Obviously this person never visited the Stetson campus. Do not fall for this accolade.

billykelly76

New

Post by billykelly76 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:16 pm

I have a 3.62/158 and I got rejected from UF. I applied in November.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

billykelly76

New

Post by billykelly76 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:18 pm

missvik218 wrote:Go to UF, UNLESS you are dying to live in Miami and can get a good scholarship to UM (from what I understand if you have numbers above their averages you should be able to accomplish this).

To the other point 160 is likely sufficient, anything between there and 165 should get you a decent scholarship to any FL school.
Good advice, but, and this is just out of curiosity, why the red?

jackrabbitjones

New

Post by jackrabbitjones » Sun May 31, 2009 12:08 am

For the record, I'm not sure why everyone thinks UF is better than FSU. Besides more alumni and maybe a couple of specific programs, UF is no better. If someone can qualify that UF is far and away better, than I will concede, but I think this comparison is outdated.

Detail

New

Post by Detail » Sun May 31, 2009 5:16 pm

jackrabbitjones wrote:For the record, I'm not sure why everyone thinks UF is better than FSU. Besides more alumni and maybe a couple of specific programs, UF is no better. If someone can qualify that UF is far and away better, than I will concede, but I think this comparison is outdated.
FSU - 55/67/90 private sector salary, 58% reporting, 48% of grads working in firms.
UF - 70/90/115 salary, 66% reporting, 62% in firms, Tim Tebow.

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Sun May 31, 2009 5:41 pm

Despite the fact that most of Florida truly is a gator nation, the fact that UF sends more to firms doesn't mean their grads are that much more employable. FSU, being in the capitol, sends a shit ton of grads into government.

Please note, I do not contest that Tim Tebow and his jorts rock the heezy fo sheezy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”