Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
blurbz

Silver

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Post by blurbz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:01 pm

I'll be happy to buy you a beer oldman ;-) . No worries.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Chupavida wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
Chupavida wrote:Nancy is pretty easy to figure out. I could see the WoW in her eyes when she visited the federal courthouse today. I have no idea who everybody else is.

/creep
WHOA. WHO ARE YOU?????
Well played.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You play WoW? Did not expect that.

oldtimer

New

Post by oldtimer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:32 pm

blurbz wrote:I'll be happy to buy you a beer oldman ;-) . No worries.
Old man, huh...

You might have a hard time picking me out if you're going by my screen name... (or maybe you won't... :wink: )
But yeah, I have no ill will and I would sure hope that none of you do either after one little debate on TLS. (no matter how factually one sided it was... I mean obviously I don't know anything about life at UIUC compared to any of you 2l's I'm "man" enough to admit that)... But that's why I hope the school lives up to the hype of it's "collegial" atmosphere in terms of more seasoned students lending a hand to us "green horns."

And we already have TWO very important things in common... We are both going to be Illinois Law Alum.. and we both like Beer. What more do we really need? :D

No more of this "sunk to his level" stuff though... at least until you actually know me... fair? :lol:

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:42 pm

Chupavida wrote: Yup, WoW is serious business:
http://wow.joystiq.com/tag/chupa/
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Okay, seriously, you have to come play with us. We need more good people. I'm awful.

Also, Crushridge? I have a few 80+s on there, horde. Just transferred my shammy from there.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:14 pm

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:23 pm

Chupavida wrote: I haven't played there in years; we transferred off back in the Naxx days when queues/lag were really killing our progression. The "middling guild" referenced in the article was Black Cell Faction which, amazingly, is still around. As for coming back, I think my wife might see WoW as a threat. Sure, it might start out casually, but it would only a matter of time until I'd be slaying dragons at 2 AM instead of sleeping or working on the bajillion things I have masochistically scheduled for myself this year.

That said, I've thought about it. 8)
Wish I had that much willpower.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:50 pm

Chupavida wrote: What this picture of my "willpower" doesn't include are the not-infrequent, all-night binge gaming sessions that happen whenever I pick up the latest PC game du jour.

I also played WoW for years and years, and by the time I stopped in anticipation of school starting, there just wasn't much that I hadn't seen or done. As much as it isn't a game you can "beat," there just isn't all that much waiting for me if I go back, even with the new content.
:lol: Fair enough.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:21 am

Kilpatrick wrote:I like where this thread is going now :D

Here's my picks for the best in C-U (no need to include Savoy since there's no good food there)

BBQ - Black Dog

Thai - Siam Terrace

Chinese - Rainbow Garden (a lot of people say Golden Harbor is better and they might be right. I've never been there)

Tapas - Luna (just slightly better than Radio Maria which is also good)

Sushi - none. If I have to I like Sushi Kame. Or Oishi is OK but kind of ridiculous.

Mexican - the only time I have had good Mexican is when my girlfriend has made it for me with stuff bought from the carniceria El Progreso. OR from the one taco truck in town that is actually delicious.

Pizza - Papa del's. Not as good as real Chicago pizza but good enough for me

Vietnamese - none. Be warned, if you are from Southern California where pho is everywhere you will be disappointed here

Steak - Alexander's. Definitely the best cuts of meat you can get in Champaign, and you get to grill it yourself.

Special occasion place - Bacaro. Only been there once but it was by far the best place I've been to in Champaign.

The food options in Champaign are pretty spectacular for a small town. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, and there are places I've heard are good that I haven't even been to yet. Other people feel free to add more.
Golden Harbor is the best Chinese food east of San Francisco and west of Guangzho.

Being from southwest Houston, the lack of Vietnamese is also terribly depressing to me.

And just don't bother to eat Mexican. IMO, the best Mexican in town is either La Fiesta on Philo road in Urbana, or Chevy's. Mas Amigos on Springfield is also pretty good. However, the worst Mexican food I've had in Texas is better than the best Mexican food I've had in Champaign-Urbana,

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:26 pm

I know who Nancy Botwin is, because I remember the USS BP thread, other than that, I have NO idea. You all will recognize me as the second-oldest rising 2L in the class.

windycity

New

Post by windycity » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:I know who Nancy Botwin is, because I remember the USS BP thread, other than that, I have NO idea. You all will recognize me as the second-oldest rising 2L in the class.
wait, i thought i was the second-oldest. how old are you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:01 am

It's been an interesting read catching up on the past few pages. Thanks for all the OCI information from the current students. Good or bad, it's always helpful in knowing what you could be potentially walking into; so i appreciate it.

Round of some cheap vodka on me...the kind in the plastic bottle of course. Oldtimer is a lot more chill if I think i know who it is. Catch yall in a couple weeks!

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:52 pm

windycity wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:I know who Nancy Botwin is, because I remember the USS BP thread, other than that, I have NO idea. You all will recognize me as the second-oldest rising 2L in the class.
wait, i thought i was the second-oldest. how old are you?
I'm 32 in less than a month. I was kind of guessing.

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:41 am

could anyone explain a bit how OCI works at uiuc? is it like a lottery/pre-select like at some schools?

anthropologieaddict

Bronze

Post by anthropologieaddict » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:40 am

On a totally different note, could anyone give me some insight into cable options available in CU? Are Dish or Comcast really the only options?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:02 am

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:11 am

anthropologieaddict wrote:On a totally different note, could anyone give me some insight into cable options available in CU? Are Dish or Comcast really the only options?
I think in some places you can get AT&T Uverse, but not everywhere. The only option at my apt was Comcast.

adammac17

Bronze

Post by adammac17 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Chupavida wrote:
adammac17 wrote:could anyone explain a bit how OCI works at uiuc? is it like a lottery/pre-select like at some schools?
100% preselect. Bidding was July 15-25 and we expect to be notified of preselect choices soon.

Re: cable. I'm not aware of any other options. Monopolies/duopolies like that are pretty common anyway, I'm not sure what else you would expect to find.
*Shame*......could you explain what preselect means then lol

thx all

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:05 pm

According to Chattel Cat in this thread there are a couple interview spots done through a lottery. I have no idea how this works or if it is still true. OCS prefers these things to be a mystery for us.

ChattelCat

Bronze

Post by ChattelCat » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:54 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:According to Chattel Cat in this thread there are a couple interview spots done through a lottery. I have no idea how this works or if it is still true. OCS prefers these things to be a mystery for us.
This is true - although my info is a little dated. Our year there were one or two lottery spots for each of the firms that the firm had no say in. So if you don't have stellar grades, you still have a chance to get an interview with a firm you place high on your bid list. I have absolutely no idea if this is still how they're doing things though.

and totally off topic - for anyone wondering if it's worthwhile to choose a class that's tested on the bar exam the answer is a resounding YES! I think I would have reconsidered a few class choices I made had I known how hellish studying for the bar is when you have to learn completely new areas of law. You might not remember everything but at least you'll have heard the terminology and remember the broad concepts, then Barbri can fill in the details. For instance, 3L year I had to choose between Admin and Wills & Trusts (and neither were offered the following semester). I took Admin - which was an EXCELLENT class, please do not misunderstand me, you absolutely should take it if you can - but if I had known that Wills & Trusts is ALWAYS on the bar exam and Admin has been tested one time in the last 20 years, I probably would have made the opposite decision. (Although they also didn't test IL Civ Pro which is apparently ALWAYS on the bar exam too, so who really knows...)

anthropologieaddict

Bronze

Post by anthropologieaddict » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:14 am

Chupavida wrote:
adammac17 wrote:could anyone explain a bit how OCI works at uiuc? is it like a lottery/pre-select like at some schools?
100% preselect. Bidding was July 15-25 and we expect to be notified of preselect choices soon.

Re: cable. I'm not aware of any other options. Monopolies/duopolies like that are pretty common anyway, I'm not sure what else you would expect to find.
Thanks for the responses! Guess I'm just spoiled in having more options since I'm from a larger city. Oh well, will just slingbox a family member's AT&T U-Verse.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:46 pm

yhezel wrote: Damn it! Who are you people?
I have no idea who you are. Your username simply baffles me.

But anyway, I'll +1 what Kilpatrick/blurbz said about OCS. I, too, got a gigantic spreadsheet along with three "helpful alumni who are more than willing to answer questions about that market." None of them responded to me. I don't expect OCS to find my job for me, but the whole office has been very frustrating for me.

I ate at Black Dog this summer; I think it's overrated. *runs for cover*

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”