Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Barbie

Gold

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Post by Barbie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:35 pm

Really? Its a lot easier to look good in navy, than in orange!!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Barbie wrote:Hi! Recently accepted to Illinois, which was my biggest reach (huge, huge reach haha), so I am THRILLED and 98% sure I'll be there in August. I've never even been to Illinois, though. I live in south Florida, so its going to be a HUGE change for me, no doubt. (My fav. professor/mentor attended Illinois Law, and she is who really got me into it). My boyfriend will be coming with me. He is graduating with a business degree and worried about finding a job there. I was wondering what the job market is like in UC for someone like him? He would be okay managing a bar or doing something along those lines as long as he was making enough to support both of us (not including my law school tuition). We have some friends up there from highschool that play on the Illinois football team so we are going to be BIG supporters! Are the law students big into the football team? Tailgates, etc? Thanks!!
Congrats!

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Barbie wrote:Really? Its a lot easier to look good in navy, than in orange!!
Straight up blasphemy.

zILch

New

Post by zILch » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:09 am

One L here: How do we get grades? Do we get them all at once or do they go up as profs get done grading exams? How long does it normally take?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:43 am

MBZags wrote:
Straight up blasphemy.
"Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed"
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChattelCat

Bronze

Post by ChattelCat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:31 am

zILch wrote:One L here: How do we get grades? Do we get them all at once or do they go up as profs get done grading exams? How long does it normally take?
They all go up at the same time on Enterprise. Dean V will send out an email letting us know when they'll be available and they often come out about four or five days before the date she gives us (at least that's been the trend for the last two years). I can't remember exactly, but I want to say it's usually around Jan 15.

ChattelCat

Bronze

Post by ChattelCat » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:35 am

Barbie wrote:
MBZags wrote:
Straight up blasphemy.
what's totally disturbing is that after a few years, bright Illini orange starts to seem like a normal, everyday, wear-able color.... I swore it would never happen to me but it did!!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:37 am

ChattelCat wrote:
Barbie wrote:
MBZags wrote:
Straight up blasphemy.
what's totally disturbing is that after a few years, bright Illini orange starts to seem like a normal, everyday, wear-able color.... I swore it would never happen to me but it did!!
haha. I guess as long as no one tries to make it their lipstick color of choice we will be okay :)
My tar is stylin' in orange !

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:26 pm

What is the grading curve @ Illinois? :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Barbie wrote:What is the grading curve @ Illinois? :D
Median is 3.2 for 1L, 3.4ish for 2L and 3L.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Did any of you go to one of the UIUC open houses not in Illinois like in NYC, Houston, etc. last year? If so, how was it, what did they talk about, and did it have a large impact in your decision to attend? If anyone went to the Houston one, were there a lot of local alumni who showed up?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Hahahaha. I see what you did there....and I like it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:19 pm

free food & booze?? I'm kind of sad I'm missing all this now :D
Decided on doing my own private tour of the campus, that way my boyfriend and I can spend the weekend looking at real estate, and him and my dad won't feel weird walking around campus with me :)

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:I went to the one in Los Angeles last year and it was awesome. I got to meet Dean Smith, Suzanne Rogers from admissions (Pless couldn't make it), a couple of my future classmates and a bunch of alumni. There was free food and alcohol. As far as the structure it's mostly just a social reception. Smith gave a brief speech. Then it's just schmoozing. But it's cool to meet alumni from your area and it's cool to meet graduates with jobs. I met a guy who had just graduated, OK grades, no journal, and he had a job doing environmental law. :shock:

It didn't really impact my decision to attend, I was pretty much certain at that point, but it was a lot of fun.

PROTIP: Don't bring your mom and have her network for you
Sounds like a lot of fun! How many admitted students would you estimate were there?

So what happened with the person and their mom??? You can't bring it up without sharing the story :D

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:44 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:I went to the one in Los Angeles last year and it was awesome. I got to meet Dean Smith, Suzanne Rogers from admissions (Pless couldn't make it), a couple of my future classmates and a bunch of alumni. There was free food and alcohol. As far as the structure it's mostly just a social reception. Smith gave a brief speech. Then it's just schmoozing. But it's cool to meet alumni from your area and it's cool to meet graduates with jobs. I met a guy who had just graduated, OK grades, no journal, and he had a job doing environmental law. :shock:

It didn't really impact my decision to attend, I was pretty much certain at that point, but it was a lot of fun.

PROTIP: Don't bring your mom and have her network for you
Sounds like a lot of fun! How many admitted students would you estimate were there?

So what happened with the person and their mom??? You can't bring it up without sharing the story :D
It was a lot of fun. There weren't that many admitted students there. Less than 10. There were definitely more alumni than admitted students which was cool because I wanted to talk to them more anyway.

One guy brought his mom. Which in and of itself is not that bad. But she was a lawyer and spent the whole night networking for him. She would talk to people, tell them she was his mother and then drag them over to him so he could talk. It was pretty awesome. He ended up at Illinois AND in my section AND becoming one of the most annoying epic gunners in the world.
You must have the worst luck in the world :lol:

So did anyone else bring anyone with them or did everyone pretty much come solo? Also, what was the attire? I'm assuming it was at least business casual since it was a small reception.

By the way, thank you so much for answering my questions!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Hey guys!!! SO I got into Illinois today, INSANELY huge reach for me and I'm super excited about it. My only issue is that I would be paying out of state tuition, and while I received a 10K scholly, I'm still going to be paying a fortune for tuition which kind of scares me. I'm from the LA area and want to practice in LA, how do you guys say the job prospects look for people that want to get placed out here? I'm not really looking for Biglaw, though I'm not opposed to it, that's not the lifestyle I envision myself living. That being said I obviously don't have a 200k job to look forward to, and ITE do you think this would be a sound decision on my part? Let's hypothetically say I will also receive half tuition at a high/low tier 2. With your experience, I wanted to know what you guys thought about this.
thanks for taking questions guys :) :)

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but do y'all have open or closed note exams?

ETA: and is LRW graded?
Last edited by thewarflamingo on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:47 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but do y'all have open or closed note exams?
Depends on the professor. This semester I had two closed and one open

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but do y'all have open or closed note exams?
Is LRW graded?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:51 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
Is LRW graded?
No. And thank God. Pass/Fail with high honors for top 10% and honors for the next 30%.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
Is LRW graded?
No. And thank God. Pass/Fail with high honors for top 10% and honors for the next 30%.
You can get honors in a pass/fail course?

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Barbie wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote: No. And thank God. Pass/Fail with high honors for top 10% and honors for the next 30%.
You can get honors in a pass/fail course?
Yep. It doesn't affect your GPA at all, but it looks good on your resume and can open up some summer jobs and other stuff for you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”