Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
flatlander

New

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Post by flatlander » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:59 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
flatlander wrote:Just wondering if any 2L/3L's could provide some info on when grades are usually released. I heard that they usually are pretty late, like Jan. 10th?? Also, after 1 semester of grades are you able to get a rough idea of what your rank is, like do they give 10% ranges for each gpa or anything?
Early January is usually the date they give for grade release, and then the actual release will be a few days before. Last year they came out January 6th or 7th I believe. This is actually pretty early compared to a lot of schools. At least in the 1l grade waiting thread last year we were one of the first schools to have our grades out.

A day or two after grades are out they will send out an email with the grade distributions and tell you the gpa cutoffs for top 1/3, top 25%, top 20%, top 15% and top 10%. If you are in the top 10% you will get a separate email giving you your actual numerical rank.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:21 am

Have any 1Ls had luck snagging summer employment? What are the second and third target markets after Chicago? Have there been any noticeable changes since Pless' departure?

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Could someone speak on what the atmosphere is like? Are students overly competitive with each other? You mentioned before that people were teaching other people the wrong info before finals-- was that on purpose? I'm all about challenging myself but I'd rather not look over my shoulder constantly.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:00 am

Obviously Dean Pless knows a lot more about Illinois Law than I do, but if you have any general questions about 1L life I will try and answer them. :D
LMAO

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:12 am

northside wrote:Could someone speak on what the atmosphere is like? Are students overly competitive with each other? You mentioned before that people were teaching other people the wrong info before finals-- was that on purpose? I'm all about challenging myself but I'd rather not look over my shoulder constantly.
I would say in general the atmosphere is very noncompetitive. Like anywhere else there will be a few supercompetitive people who will take it to ridiculous lengths but I've found them to be the exception. For the most part everybody is open and shares outlines and notes and tries to help each other out. If people are teaching each other the wrong things before finals its probably because they don't know what they're talking about, not to be malicious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

freaknroll

Bronze

Post by freaknroll » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:00 pm

I just got accepted but am somewhat worried as to the effect that the recent scandal is going to have on the reputation of the school in the eyes of employers. Has the administration spoke about this at any length and do any students have any thoughts?

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:22 am

freaknroll wrote:I just got accepted but am somewhat worried as to the effect that the recent scandal is going to have on the reputation of the school in the eyes of employers. Has the administration spoke about this at any length and do any students have any thoughts?
Obviously the school has been telling us that this is going to have little to no effect when it comes to employers. I don't think we are going to know for sure until my class does OCI, but I think their reasoning make sense; employers views on Illinois are based on how other alum have performed and if they are happy with the work of current associates/partners (at least in Chicago).

Dean Smith said that he is continuing to receive donations and isn't hearing anything negative from firms, but who knows if this is true. I can say that I went on firm visits to five firms this week, the scandal never came up, and some of the firms are definitely Illinois heavy and seem like they are still as interested in our class as they have been other classes.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:38 pm

bump

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:08 pm

Bump with a question - anyone know if law students can take undergraduate classes?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:16 pm

You can audit any class you want but not for law school credit. You can take a certain amount of graduate level credits outside of the law school (I think 6) for credit.

I don't see why you couldn't take some classes to finish up your degree if it was during the summer or something, but I really have no idea. Somebody that works for the school could probably better answer that.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:22 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:
freaknroll wrote:I just got accepted but am somewhat worried as to the effect that the recent scandal is going to have on the reputation of the school in the eyes of employers. Has the administration spoke about this at any length and do any students have any thoughts?
Obviously the school has been telling us that this is going to have little to no effect when it comes to employers. I don't think we are going to know for sure until my class does OCI, but I think their reasoning make sense; employers views on Illinois are based on how other alum have performed and if they are happy with the work of current associates/partners (at least in Chicago).

Dean Smith said that he is continuing to receive donations and isn't hearing anything negative from firms, but who knows if this is true. I can say that I went on firm visits to five firms this week, the scandal never came up, and some of the firms are definitely Illinois heavy and seem like they are still as interested in our class as they have been other classes.
which firms are illinois heavy?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:30 pm

I'm not sure what Dreams means specifically by "Illinois heavy" But most Chicago biglaw firms have a pretty large contingent of Illinois grads.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Gonna go ahead and necro this thread so that I don't derail the c/o 2015 thread. I'm having serious issues figuring out parking. I'm probably going to be living southwest of campus, in a condo on Windsor but about mile or so east of Windsor West (just under 3 miles away from the law school). I'll have free parking and a garage there, which is perfect, so that issue is settled. However, I'm trying to figure out the best way to commute to the law school and I'm getting pretty frustrated. I'm too far away to regularly walk from home so that's out of the picture.

First, there is little bus service to my area. The navy line is the only one that comes by this house and it is very limited. Something like three times in the eight o'clock hour in the morning, and then once each hour from 4-6 in the afternoons. I could make relying on the bus system work, but I'd prefer to have some more leeway to go to the gym in the mornings or evenings, come home for lunch, etc.

Second, I was seriously considering buying a permit for lot E-24 (the one next to the ARC). This would give me great flexibility to use the facility on my own schedule and is pretty close to the law school. Unfortunately, it's currently full AND it costs a ridiculous $540 a year (seriously that has to be a joke, an undergrad parking permit at the University of Maryland, which is right outside of DC in an area 100x more congested than Chambana "only" cost $350).

Third, paying the meters for anything more than 3 hours a day, five times a week mathematically costs more than buying a $540 permit. I think I'm going to want to camp out on campus during the day - in other words, get there in the morning and try to get everything done before heading back in the late afternoon or evening. The meters will kill me if I have to pay for 8 hours worth of parking a day.

Lastly, the shuttle lot (E-14). So far this seems like the most reasonable choice. Google Maps says its about a 15 minute walk from the law building. This doesn't sound crazy, but will likely be a problem once the cold sets in. The only shuttle that goes to the law school is the Navy line, which again only runs in that one hour in the morning and that limited amount in the afternoon. Cost is $127 but you can not park there 24/7.

And super-lastly, the rumoured "secret lot" in the nothwest corner of the Assembly Hall. Apparently you're never allowed to park there, but no one ever checks. However it is not always accessible.

Can anyone comment on what methods you use to commute in to school if you live in a similar area or similar distance from campus? Which of these options would you pick if you were in my situation? I'm leaning towards the shuttle lot. If I need to head home or something when the Navy line isn't running I can always just hoof it. A 15 minute walk in the cold won't kill me (I hope).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oldtimer

New

Post by oldtimer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:09 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Gonna go ahead and necro this thread so that I don't derail the c/o 2015 thread. I'm having serious issues figuring out parking. I'm probably going to be living southwest of campus, in a condo on Windsor but about mile or so east of Windsor West (just under 3 miles away from the law school). I'll have free parking and a garage there, which is perfect, so that issue is settled. However, I'm trying to figure out the best way to commute to the law school and I'm getting pretty frustrated. I'm too far away to regularly walk from home so that's out of the picture.

First, there is little bus service to my area. The navy line is the only one that comes by this house and it is very limited. Something like three times in the eight o'clock hour in the morning, and then once each hour from 4-6 in the afternoons. I could make relying on the bus system work, but I'd prefer to have some more leeway to go to the gym in the mornings or evenings, come home for lunch, etc.

Second, I was seriously considering buying a permit for lot E-24 (the one next to the ARC). This would give me great flexibility to use the facility on my own schedule and is pretty close to the law school. Unfortunately, it's currently full AND it costs a ridiculous $540 a year (seriously that has to be a joke, an undergrad parking permit at the University of Maryland, which is right outside of DC in an area 100x more congested than Chambana "only" cost $350).

Third, paying the meters for anything more than 3 hours a day, five times a week mathematically costs more than buying a $540 permit. I think I'm going to want to camp out on campus during the day - in other words, get there in the morning and try to get everything done before heading back in the late afternoon or evening. The meters will kill me if I have to pay for 8 hours worth of parking a day.

Lastly, the shuttle lot (E-14). So far this seems like the most reasonable choice. Google Maps says its about a 15 minute walk from the law building. This doesn't sound crazy, but will likely be a problem once the cold sets in. The only shuttle that goes to the law school is the Navy line, which again only runs in that one hour in the morning and that limited amount in the afternoon. Cost is $127 but you can not park there 24/7.

And super-lastly, the rumoured "secret lot" in the nothwest corner of the Assembly Hall. Apparently you're never allowed to park there, but no one ever checks. However it is not always accessible.

Can anyone comment on what methods you use to commute in to school if you live in a similar area or similar distance from campus? Which of these options would you pick if you were in my situation? I'm leaning towards the shuttle lot. If I need to head home or something when the Navy line isn't running I can always just hoof it. A 15 minute walk in the cold won't kill me (I hope).

E-14 and then pay at the meters occasionally as budget permits and time/weather require.
Seems to work well for me and still costs less than the $540 lots if you park at E-14 as often as is practical...

Alternatively, Get a cheap scooter and a $65 Scooter/motorcycle sticker and park right in front of the law school.
Ultimately, that's what I ended up doing after already having an E-14 tag. On nice or even not so nice, but not horrible weather days, it's the best option for me (and several other fellow law students).

Like everyone else, I'm on the waitlist for E-15, but I don't suspect I'll get that option until 3L year at best if at all, but now that I have a scooter, I probably wouldn't pay the big bucks for that tag anymore now.

On another note, Parking at Saint Louis University, for example, is $810/year and that's for the garage all the way across campus from the law school, so in comparison, U of I isn't so bad!

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I doubt I'll be buying a scooter or motorcycle anytime soon since I just recently bought my car, but it's good info to know nonetheless. I'll probably end up getting a shuttle lot permit and paying the meters occasionally. Do you know what hours you are not allowed to park at the shuttle lot? I keep reading that it's "not 24/7" but I can't find what the actual restrictions are anywhere.

Also, the parking department map shows E-15 in red like it's a faculty/staff lot. How did you get on the waitlist for that?

oldtimer

New

Post by oldtimer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:26 pm

You just go to the parking office (where you get the permits) and request to be put on the list. You don't have to be faculty to park there and there are more spots than there are Law Faculty, so in theory, a spot will eventually be available for you if you wait long enough.

I'm not exactly sure about the hours for E-14, but I can honestly say that I know that some people park there overnight with no issues, but that may be due to having a different type of permit. There is a Jeep in particular that is sitting in the same spot every day and clearly hasn't been moved in days or weeks and it's not the only car that appears to be there overnight regularly.

I have been at the school very late at night with my car out there and never had an issue. Another thing to consider is that if you do plan to be there late, you can always run out to E-14 and get your car around 6pm and come back and park on the street in front of the Law building for free. (the meters are only monitored until 6pm on the street).

Here is some info from the parking department's web page.

Ultimately, you can't park ANYWHERE on campus from 2am-6am.

Restricted Hours – Parking is prohibited in all facilities and is not allowed
from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. on all days. No exceptions are made for any holiday or
recess except those listed as official “University Holidays”

(So this refers to the non-24hr lots of course)

And Here's the answer to my question about the Jeep in E-14

Overnight Parking Monday through Thursday is allowed in Lot E14 and
F23 only with the proper permit.
A Temporary permit may be purchased
which contains a lot designator and expiration date.

And it looks like E-14 is also good for overnight on the weekends.

4. Weekend parking on Friday after 5 p.m. through 6 a.m. Monday is
permitted in the following lots without a permit at any charge.

 B1 - Springfield Avenue between Mathews & Goodwin
 B17 – Harvey Street between Clark and Main
 C9 – Chalmers and Sixth
 E14 - First Street and Kirby
 F23 – Lincoln and Florida
 F28 – Peabody and Dorner Drive

Hope you find some of that helpful!

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Super helpful info, thanks! I didn't realize they stopped enforcing the meters so early. Parking a lot E-14 seems a lot more reasonable now. If I end up having to stay late on campus I'll probably do just what you said and move my car to the street after 6pm. You've pretty much answered all my concerns at this point, thanks so much. Looks like I'll buy a lot E-14 permit and deal with the hike to campus if the bus is inconvenient and the weather isn't terrible. Seems reasonable enough!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oldtimer

New

Post by oldtimer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:14 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Super helpful info, thanks! I didn't realize they stopped enforcing the meters so early. Parking a lot E-14 seems a lot more reasonable now. If I end up having to stay late on campus I'll probably do just what you said and move my car to the street after 6pm. You've pretty much answered all my concerns at this point, thanks so much. Looks like I'll buy a lot E-14 permit and deal with the hike to campus if the bus is inconvenient and the weather isn't terrible. Seems reasonable enough!
No problem and just so you know, the "hike" to campus really isn't bad at all. 10 minutes at a reasonable walking pace. It's a nice brisk walk to wake ya up in the morning and in the fall and spring, it's actually a pretty nice walk down the tree lined streets past the graveyard. :shock: :lol:

DoctorShawHi

New

Post by DoctorShawHi » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:06 pm

anyone with experience deferring at Illinois?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm seeing a lot of housing options in/around the area I've boxed below. I'm definitely considering some of the more out of the way communities that look nice, but will probably check out other options when I come in to look at housing. I assume the nice communities on the outskirts (Windsor West, etc) are pretty quiet/safe, but what about this area north of Springfield and west of Neil? Anyone live there, or know people who do and have an opinion on it? I have nothing to go off of really, though I did click on "Spalding Park" which happens to have just 1 review that says "Bad neighborhood" or something. Not sure whether I trust a single google maps review or not, so I figured I'd ask.
Last edited by tmon on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:06 pm

I live in the lower part of that box and I love it. Any area around downtown and west side park is great. The further north you go, like around Spalding Park the area is not as nice but it's certainly not a dangerous neighborhood or anything. The only places I wouldn't live are the parts around Bradley, especially north of Bradley and east of Neil Street. Those are kind of shitty areas. But the area in that box is fine. Personally I think the west side park area is perfect. Relatively cheap, safe, walking distance to downtown, 5-10 minutes from the law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoctorShawHi

New

Post by DoctorShawHi » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:30 pm

i'm a guy. so i don't really care about the quality of the neighborhood. besides, it's u-c, and omar don't scare.

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:55 pm

The area around Spalding Park and north of there would be considered a "bad neighborhood" by Champaign standards. Go a few blocks south of Spalding toward Central High School/West Side Park and you're back to a nice area. There are some other not-so-nice areas of C-U like Ludo said but I wouldn't suspect you'd be looking to live in those parts anyway.
tmon wrote:I'm seeing a lot of housing options in/around the area I've boxed below. I'm definitely considering some of the more out of the way communities that look nice, but will probably check out other options when I come in to look at housing. I assume the nice communities on the outskirts (Windsor West, etc) are pretty quiet/safe, but what about this area north of Springfield and west of Neil? Anyone live there, or know people who do and have an opinion on it? I have nothing to go off of really, though I did click on "Spalding Park" which happens to have just 1 review that says "Bad neighborhood" or something. Not sure whether I trust a single google maps review or not, so I figured I'd ask.

DoctorShawHi

New

Post by DoctorShawHi » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:13 pm

Betharl wrote:The area around Spalding Park and north of there would be considered a "bad neighborhood" by Champaign standards. Go a few blocks south of Spalding toward Central High School/West Side Park and you're back to a nice area. There are some other not-so-nice areas of C-U like Ludo said but I wouldn't suspect you'd be looking to live in those parts anyway.
If the rent is low...

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Well, that's the thing. The areas I'm talking about aren't real close to campus and there probably aren't a whole lot of rentals. Just subsidized housing, liquor stores, and at least one motel I know of (not from personal experience) on North Neil that was supposedly a hang out for prostitutes.

EDIT: But the vast majority of C-U is very nice so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
DoctorShawHi wrote:
Betharl wrote:The area around Spalding Park and north of there would be considered a "bad neighborhood" by Champaign standards. Go a few blocks south of Spalding toward Central High School/West Side Park and you're back to a nice area. There are some other not-so-nice areas of C-U like Ludo said but I wouldn't suspect you'd be looking to live in those parts anyway.
If the rent is low...
Last edited by Betharl on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”