Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jd-mba

Bronze

Re: Illinois Law 1L Taking Questions

Post by jd-mba » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:05 am

anthropologieaddict wrote:
I've been enlisting the help of the tenant union because I was interested in Colbert Park and they emailed me and told me they are currently working with a tenant at Colbert who is unable to get the heat in his apartment above the low 60's during the day and mid 40's at night. They also informed me that there is a clause in the lease that if you want to sublet your apartment in the summer (as most law students do when they go on to externships, jobs etc) that there is a $450 sublet fee. If you don't go through the complex to sublet then you are found in breach of the lease and the subletter can be arrested as a trespasser. All of this is adding up to make me uninterested. My best advice would be to email the tenant unto (tenant@illinois.edu) and tell them how many beds/baths you want, whether you want something furnished or not, if you'd like to live with mostly law students, how much of a priority it is to you to be close to the school and how much you are willing to pay. I have done this and they have been very helpful to me so far.
This doesn't sound too hopeful for Colbert Park... :) I'm the plan ahead type, and it seems impossible to find a nice, affordable option around this area. Everything looks so old. I've talked to the Tenant Union as well, and all the 1 bedrooms they've shown me around the $700/$800 range look so old. Garage parking seems impossible to come by also. These winters are going to be brutal without garage parking...

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:40 am

jd-mba wrote:This doesn't sound too hopeful for Colbert Park... :) I'm the plan ahead type, and it seems impossible to find a nice, affordable option around this area. Everything looks so old. I've talked to the Tenant Union as well, and all the 1 bedrooms they've shown me around the $700/$800 range look so old. Garage parking seems impossible to come by also. These winters are going to be brutal without garage parking...
Pretty much everything near campus is going to be older, and probably without a garage. I know that if you go further from campus, though, you can find newer places with central air and a garage. You might pay a little more, or just have to look a bit further away, but it's possible.

Examples: --LinkRemoved-- and http://www.watersedgeapartments.net/

ChattelCat

Bronze

Post by ChattelCat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:56 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
jd-mba wrote:This doesn't sound too hopeful for Colbert Park... :) I'm the plan ahead type, and it seems impossible to find a nice, affordable option around this area. Everything looks so old. I've talked to the Tenant Union as well, and all the 1 bedrooms they've shown me around the $700/$800 range look so old. Garage parking seems impossible to come by also. These winters are going to be brutal without garage parking...
Pretty much everything near campus is going to be older, and probably without a garage. I know that if you go further from campus, though, you can find newer places with central air and a garage. You might pay a little more, or just have to look a bit further away, but it's possible.

Examples: --LinkRemoved-- and http://www.watersedgeapartments.net/
Also check out Amber Pointe - I've been here two years and I love it - nice, new, big, really well priced, 30 seconds away from a giant Meijer, right by the softball fields, and "far" off campus. By "far" I mean that it is literally a 10 minute drive door to door to the law school :) --LinkRemoved--

jd-mba

Bronze

Post by jd-mba » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Thanks ChattelCat - I was looking at that place actually, it says w/d hook-ups, do they offer an option to have w/d in-unit or do you really have to go buy your own? :) How do you get to school then with it being further off-campus? Is there a convenient bus line or do you drive?

ChattelCat

Bronze

Post by ChattelCat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:54 pm

jd-mba wrote:Thanks ChattelCat - I was looking at that place actually, it says w/d hook-ups, do they offer an option to have w/d in-unit or do you really have to go buy your own? :) How do you get to school then with it being further off-campus? Is there a convenient bus line or do you drive?
I'm almost positive that they do offer an option to rent a washer & dryer - the two women who manage the complex are great, if you give them a call I'm sure they can give you the details. I ended up buying a set off a graduating 3L for a few hundred bucks so that's an option too. (I'll be selling mine!) And really, this place is awesome. It's really quiet, a ton of space for the price, big bathrooms, the appliances aren't the bottom of the barrel type you find in most apt complexes, and the management and maintenance staff are fantastic.

I do drive - it's a straight shot down Windsor, R on Lincoln, L on Pennsylvania to the law school. Windsor is one of the few roads in town that's 45mph with few stop lights, so it makes for a quick trip - I'm not at the school very much this year so I park at the meters (plus I got lazy) but a lot of first years park in the shuttle lot, E-14 - which is also about a 10 minute drive. And there's never really any traffic to worry about. There are two bus lines that stop right in front of the Meijer (which is about a 2 minute walk from my front door) but they don't go right by the law school so you have to walk a few blocks. Honestly, though, time is at such a premium during law school that I realized very quickly 1L year that relying on the buses to get places was unrealistic. It's nice to know they're there if I have car problems, but taking a bus somewhere in town takes three (or more) times as long as driving.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ariluh

New

Post by ariluh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:43 am

So...I got in to Univ of Illi and I also got in to Northwestern. I guess for most people the choice is obvious, but for me it's not. UI offered me 30k per yr and I'm still waiting on a financial offer from Northwestern.
I don't wanna go to an uber competitive school and I love how friendly and accessible everyone has been at UI.
Anyone want to weigh in?

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:36 pm

ariluh wrote:So...I got in to Univ of Illi and I also got in to Northwestern. I guess for most people the choice is obvious, but for me it's not. UI offered me 30k per yr and I'm still waiting on a financial offer from Northwestern.
I don't wanna go to an uber competitive school and I love how friendly and accessible everyone has been at UI.
Anyone want to weigh in?
U of I (Let D. Pless know about NW and see if he can make an offer that makes this a no-brainer) with money, especially if you are in-state or get some more $. (Those scholarships are guaranteed, and trust me it makes a difference when u don't have to worry about keeping ur scholly )

ariluh

New

Post by ariluh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
ariluh wrote:So...I got in to Univ of Illi and I also got in to Northwestern. I guess for most people the choice is obvious, but for me it's not. UI offered me 30k per yr and I'm still waiting on a financial offer from Northwestern.
Anyone want to weigh in?
U of I (Let D. Pless know about NW and see if he can make an offer that makes this a no-brainer) with money, especially if you are in-state or get some more $. (Those scholarships are guaranteed, and trust me it makes a difference when u don't have to worry about keeping ur scholly )
Shouldn't I wait until I get an offer from NU?

zILch

New

Post by zILch » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:41 pm

how's 1L spring oci going? Firms? callbacks? anything?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:02 am

zILch wrote:how's 1L spring oci going? Firms? callbacks? anything?
Pless is sending out an email about that to admitted students this week.

zILch

New

Post by zILch » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:03 am

I thought that was about the current employment stats of students? I'm asking about spring OCI, which I think is ongoing. I hope current students will have some experience with it and can give us some insight into how it is this year.

ChattelCat

Bronze

Post by ChattelCat » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:35 am

zILch wrote:I thought that was about the current employment stats of students? I'm asking about spring OCI, which I think is ongoing. I hope current students will have some experience with it and can give us some insight into how it is this year.
I'm confused, I thought you were a 1L:
zILch wrote:One L here: How do we get grades? Do we get them all at once or do they go up as profs get done grading exams? How long does it normally take?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:46 am

Zilch, I believe he said it would include info about this year's turnout to OCI.

To students: He also said earlier that the administration tries to make 2L and 3Ls feel just as excited about attending UIUC as new students. Nancy (hi) agreed. Do you guys know what he's talking about/can speak to anything the administration specifically does for later-year students?

Also, sorry if this has been mentioned, but is it a bitch to use Macs for exams?
Last edited by Hannibal on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zILch

New

Post by zILch » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:13 am

ChattelCat wrote:
zILch wrote:I thought that was about the current employment stats of students? I'm asking about spring OCI, which I think is ongoing. I hope current students will have some experience with it and can give us some insight into how it is this year.
I'm confused, I thought you were a 1L:
zILch wrote:One L here: How do we get grades? Do we get them all at once or do they go up as profs get done grading exams? How long does it normally take?

I am. I just don't know anyone who interviewed at 1L OCI and wanted some anecdotes from students I don't know. Didn't mean for the confusion!

Eruannon

Bronze

Post by Eruannon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:20 am

Hannibal wrote:Zilch, I believe he said it would include info about this year's turnout to OCI.

To students: He also said earlier that the administration tries to make 2L and 3Ls feel just as excited about attending UIUC as new students. Nancy (hi) agreed. Do you guys know what he's talking about/can speak to anything the administration specifically does for later-year students?

Also, sorry if this has been mentioned, but is it a bitch to use Macs for exams?
First off, it's easy to use macs for exams. Many people did in my section last semester. If you run into problems the IT department is on call during exams and will quickly fix any problem you have. Dean Vermillion is really good about making sure everyone is set and ready to go before exams begin.

Second, 2L's and 3L's participate in all the social activities that many 1L's participate in; like softball, beer league darts, and basketball. In addition to this many 2L's and 3L's take part in mock trial, journals or law review, and leadership positions in the many student organizations at the school. In terms of attention from the administration it seems like career services focus on 2L's and 3L's, which makes senses since as many 1L's take the opportunity to do an externship for course credit (which the externship office can help you with). In addition, Dean Smith recently hired 2 new people for the career services department who have very impressive credentials. I met with one of them yesterday and she was extremely helpful. Dean Smith is looking to hire 2 more employees for the department and really seems dedicated to making the process of getting a job much more painless and successful.

I can't speak much to spring OCI for 1L's. I am not interested in working in the private sector and those were the types of employers that were interviewing (for the most part). However, a couple of my friends attended OCI interviews with firms this Spring. Again, the 1L job market is really tight right now for people looking to get paid, which is basically what OCI is catering to. Getting a job for the summer after 1L takes some work but the externship office has a great program and participating in it will reduce your 2L course load.

Hope this was helpful.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:53 am

Eruannon wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Zilch, I believe he said it would include info about this year's turnout to OCI.

First off, it's easy to use macs for exams. Many people did in my section last semester. If you run into problems the IT department is on call during exams and will quickly fix any problem you have. Dean Vermillion is really good about making sure everyone is set and ready to go before exams begin.

Second, 2L's and 3L's participate in all the social activities that many 1L's participate in; like softball, beer league darts, and basketball. In addition to this many 2L's and 3L's take part in mock trial, journals or law review, and leadership positions in the many student organizations at the school. In terms of attention from the administration it seems like career services focus on 2L's and 3L's, which makes senses since as many 1L's take the opportunity to do an externship for course credit (which the externship office can help you with). In addition, Dean Smith recently hired 2 new people for the career services department who have very impressive credentials. I met with one of them yesterday and she was extremely helpful. Dean Smith is looking to hire 2 more employees for the department and really seems dedicated to making the process of getting a job much more painless and successful.

I can't speak much to spring OCI for 1L's. I am not interested in working in the private sector and those were the types of employers that were interviewing (for the most part). However, a couple of my friends attended OCI interviews with firms this Spring. Again, the 1L job market is really tight right now for people looking to get paid, which is basically what OCI is catering to. Getting a job for the summer after 1L takes some work but the externship office has a great program and participating in it will reduce your 2L course load.

Hope this was helpful.
Just to add to this, almost all of the 1Ls that I know who have shots at paid positions are people looking into the patent law area who have a science background with previous work experience in a scientific field, or people with patent paralegal experience. I'm not really close to the OCI process, so my information is likely incomplete, but that's my perspective on it.

In theory, the economy is improving, but until it makes a full recovery there just aren't that many paying jobs out there for 1Ls.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:47 am

I had a Spring OCI interview the other day, and I am a 1L (and not going for patent). As has been said, the paid 1L opportunities are very slim, so there have only been a few firms/organizations interviewing, and most of them have been for patent spots. I'm pretty sure the only reason I got the interview (that firm only interviewed 16 people) was because of my work experience, and it seemed like the other 1Ls that interviewed were also people with at least a few years of experience.

The situation will probably be better next year, between things looking a little brighter as time goes on and the new career services people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kate Monster

New

Post by Kate Monster » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:18 am

I'm not 100% sure that I'm coming to Illinios as I still have some schools to hear back from, but with a full tuition scholarship, it seems pretty likely. How pet friendly do the apartments in the area seem to be? I have two rabbits, and them coming with me isn't really a negotiable issue, I refuse to be one of those people who adopt animals and then give them up because they don't have the foresight to make sure that they move into a place that allows them. :x I doubt anyone can speak specifically to places that allow pet rabbits, we're not a huge group of people, but a general vibe of how pet friendly the place seems to be would be great! And if anyone knows places that allow pets in general to start my inquiry into rabbits specifically, that would be helpful.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:46 am

Kate Monster wrote:I'm not 100% sure that I'm coming to Illinios as I still have some schools to hear back from, but with a full tuition scholarship, it seems pretty likely. How pet friendly do the apartments in the area seem to be? I have two rabbits, and them coming with me isn't really a negotiable issue, I refuse to be one of those people who adopt animals and then give them up because they don't have the foresight to make sure that they move into a place that allows them. :x I doubt anyone can speak specifically to places that allow pet rabbits, we're not a huge group of people, but a general vibe of how pet friendly the place seems to be would be great! And if anyone knows places that allow pets in general to start my inquiry into rabbits specifically, that would be helpful.
How close to the law school are you looking to live? Do you want to drive and park or take the bus? Are you looking at Champaign or Urbana? I might be able to steer you in the right direction as far as "pet-friendly" places.

I think a lot of places would be fine with rabbits, though.

Kate Monster

New

Post by Kate Monster » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:55 am

It's weird how often places aren't ok with rabbits, my apartment now is ridiculously supportive of people having cats and dogs, there's a dog park on the property in fact! But they classify rabbits as livestock and so I had to convince them to add them to my lease, something they wouldn't have done if I hadn't already been a tenant when I got them. So it's weird, some places consider them a non-issue like having hamsters and some consider it on par with wanting to keep a sheep in your apartment. I won't have a car so being either walking distance from campus or on a decent bus route would be good, I've survived the past four years riding buses so that's not an issue for me. Thanks for your help!

irishgal12888

New

Post by irishgal12888 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:04 pm

I'd be interested in hearing which places are pet friendly too. Both near and away from campus. Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ChattelCat

Bronze

Post by ChattelCat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:22 pm

irishgal12888 wrote:I'd be interested in hearing which places are pet friendly too. Both near and away from campus. Thanks!
Often depends on the pet. The large majority of apartments allow cats, less allow dogs. With rabbits, I'm not sure (though there are thousands of apts in C-U, so I'm sure there are places that will allow them) I actually dug out my old leases and both just said that the management "must approve all pets." A lot of the places on or near campus are run by management companies that have several complexes (Campus Property Management, Barr, Wampler, Royse and Brinkmeyer to name a few - also, I'm not vouching for any of these - the only one I have experience with is Royse and Brinkmeyer. They were great though). That might be a good place to start. If you find a management company that allows rabbits you'll have some options.

StateSchoolSplitter

Bronze

Post by StateSchoolSplitter » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:22 pm

What are the students like at UIUC Law? What's the bro/prep/old/boring/etc. breakdown like?

Apologies if this has been asked already.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:59 pm

StateSchoolSplitter wrote:What are the students like at UIUC Law? What's the bro/prep/old/boring/etc. breakdown like?

Apologies if this has been asked already.
Everyone's chill. There aren't many bros or preps, and the majority of students are 22-25ish.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:26 am

NancyBotwin wrote:I had a Spring OCI interview the other day, and I am a 1L (and not going for patent). As has been said, the paid 1L opportunities are very slim, so there have only been a few firms/organizations interviewing, and most of them have been for patent spots. I'm pretty sure the only reason I got the interview (that firm only interviewed 16 people) was because of my work experience, and it seemed like the other 1Ls that interviewed were also people with at least a few years of experience.

The situation will probably be better next year, between things looking a little brighter as time goes on and the new career services people.
And now there's the new Career Services email as well...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”