South Texas College of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nealric

Re: South Texas College of Law

Post by nealric » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Classroom discussion tends to be policy-heavy at the top schools, having little bearing on what is tested on exams, or what is necessary for success as an attorney.
I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. I know you read it somewhere, but the idea that all you do is talk policy at top schools is completely untrue.

BTW: If you look at the placement numbers in biglaw, UH is actually pretty much at the very top of the second tier.

STCL is certainly one of the better T4s out there, but it is simply nowhere near UH in placement.

ninjasinblack

New

Post by ninjasinblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:40 am

I am glad to see other people went to the Open House. I actually didn't make it in time so instead, me and my two friends (who both go to UH law) just walked around the campus. Campus wise, I really like South Texas a lot more. Before we went there, my two friends showed me around the UH law school campus and I was so let down. It's basically in a basement! South Texas was about 100 times nicer than UH. I know I went on the latter end of a Saturday but I noticed that there wasn't hardly anybody there, compared to UH, which was kind of a surprise to me. Do people study elsewhere? Also, I won't be applying until this summer for next January. Wish everybody the best of luck in everything.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:50 am

happy187 wrote:
bwehmeyer wrote:I went to the open house as well. I can say that after going it may be my choice over UH. (I want to stay in Houston and go to a part time program.) The part timer of the student panel gave me some encouragement when he explained his day-to-day schedule.

Should get my apps. in for both UH and STCL by the end of the week.
i think you should only apply to UH, thereby helping my chances for STCL. jk good luck, i already got denied at UH so I am hoping to get into STCL and transfer to UH with good grades. Not because of the prestige of UH but as a Veteran I get more benefits at a state funded school. Ultimately, I just want to get in with STCL my last chance I may be retaking the LSAT.
As a fellow veteran, why don't you go to Texas Tech, use the hazlewood, and then transfer to UH?

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:16 am

Zojirushi wrote: As a fellow veteran, why don't you go to Texas Tech, use the hazlewood, and then transfer to UH?
I have to stay in Houston for my full time job. And since STCL is private = no hazlewood. But with post 9/11 it picks up a good chunk of the bill.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Ah missed the part about PT. Make sure you stay over half time for that BAH. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dwigtschrute

New

Post by dwigtschrute » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:34 am

Hey guys, I'm a new 1L who just started this spring semester. I just wanted to address a couple of the concerns I saw. There is a student lot ($3 to park) but most people I know park in garages. You do have to pay for them but there are STCL discounts so the cheapest garage I think is $30 a month. So no, you don't have to use meters or anything like that unless you just want to haha. I haven't noticed where most people study. I think its too early in the semester to see a ton of people at the library though haha. I study at my apartment, but that's me. I like the school so far. All the faculty are very helpful and understanding. So far so good!

ninjasinblack

New

Post by ninjasinblack » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:54 pm

I was just surprised because there was a lot of people at U of H studying in the library as well as they are given small cubicles to study in. But, to be honest, I'm happy to hear you joke about studying this early in the semester. I am more interested in going to a less stressful environment anyways. Do you mind if I ask your LSAT score and GPA? I am considering applying for next spring. Thanks so much.

bomedtheLSAT101

Bronze

Post by bomedtheLSAT101 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:26 pm

ok so should i got to South texas college of law or no? Because I've heard both good and bad but they seem to be quite equal right now.

Podunk21

New

Post by Podunk21 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:40 pm

ok so should i got to South texas college of law or no? Because I've heard both good and bad but they seem to be quite equal right now.
I went through the same deliberation process about 2 years ago...and I thought I was going to tear my hair out (over the decision of whether or not I should go to STCL).

However, I did decide to go...and I have been very happy with the decision.

You wont regret it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RSN_M3

Bronze

Post by RSN_M3 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:02 pm

I work in a BigLaw firm and every single STCL attorney there tells me to go elsewhere.

According to the attorneys:

1) You have to be top of your class to work in BigLaw
2) Recruiting and career services is virtually nonexistent
3) If you're interested in anything other than litigation, go elsewhere
4) UH absolutely has better placement in BigLaw in Houston than STCL, UH dominates the Houston market. Don't let anyone at STCL tell you otherwise.

01wannabe

New

Post by 01wannabe » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:08 am

Hey guys...

Before you were admitted, did you have a section at the bottom left that had your seat deposit information? It still says my stuff is processing, but at the bottom it has first and second seat deposit (not filled in with an amount due).

Just wondering and wanting to make sure I didn't get my hopes up!

Detail_Lady

New

Post by Detail_Lady » Sat May 29, 2010 5:10 pm

BTW: If you look at the placement numbers in biglaw, UH is actually pretty much at the very top of the second tier.
Thanks nealric for that post. The bar chart is a great way to represent the data. Would you please cite the source so I can look for more current data in light of the current economy?

Also:
I work in a BigLaw firm and every single STCL attorney there tells me to go elsewhere.

4) UH absolutely has better placement in BigLaw in Houston than STCL, UH dominates the Houston market. Don't let anyone at STCL tell you otherwise.
Thanks to RSN_M3 as above. I am deciding between STCL and UH because I am limited to Houston by family and employed spouse. I was worried that the local connections and applied knowledge hype from STCL might be more important than the US News stats. These two posts helped me a lot.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:18 am

Detail_Lady wrote:
Thanks nealric for that post. The bar chart is a great way to represent the data. Would you please cite the source so I can look for more current data in light of the current economy?

Also:

Thanks to RSN_M3 as above. I am deciding between STCL and UH because I am limited to Houston by family and employed spouse. I was worried that the local connections and applied knowledge hype from STCL might be more important than the US News stats. These two posts helped me a lot.
I had the same limitations you did, and STCL and UH were my only options. I must tell you though, even though I am going to STCL and I am happy about it, this should be a short thought process for you. If you have been admitted to UH you should go there. I think right now the most important factor in law school attendance decisions is employment proespects, and it is hard to argue that UH does not give you an immediate and undeniable advantage.

If I did have to suggest some advantages of STCL they would be: Better location, more flexibility in the PT program, Nationally acclaimed advocacy program.

Still although I believe STCL to be a perfectly respectable option and I wouldn't be going there otherwise, If you've been admitted to both, stop pondering and go to UH.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Detail_Lady

New

Post by Detail_Lady » Sun May 30, 2010 1:27 pm

If you've been admitted to both, stop pondering and go to UH.
Thank you - "pondering" is exactly what I was doing. I am now decided.

Podunk21

New

Post by Podunk21 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:18 pm

I too attend South Texas (just finished 2L).

I would not necessarily say go to UH and would say that you need to give STCL a long hard look.

However, if you are admitted to both, and you just can't decide.....then consider all things equal and look at one factor that makes them different. I would use "cost" as that factor! Unfortunately, the "cost" factor favors UH...so the decision is made.

I am very big/high on STCL and consider it a very good school (maybe, in some ways, even better than UH)....but if you are impartial and cant decide, then go with the cheaper option. There is no reason to spend more money (or rack up more debt) than is necessary.

In the end it is really "six of one, half a dozen of the other."

Detail_Lady

New

Post by Detail_Lady » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks to a 25% increase in UH tuition for 2010-2011 1Ls, the cost factor is no longer the tipping point it used to be.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:03 pm

I am in the uncomfortable situation of being 7 days from the registration deadline and working in an uncertain job. The job itself is not uncertain, I am relatively secure with the company, but my specific responsibilities and location of work are not entirely set in stone. I'm working on a large project and my current resposnibilities only take me out to about December of this year.

My fear is that

1. I may assume a position that makes it hard for me to make it to class by 5:45pm on weekdays. (does anyone know how strict STCL professors are on tardiness?)

2. I may have a position that requires travel.

I am trying to decide on how to approach my boss to see if I can get some resolution on these concerns, but I didn't really want to concern my employer about me dividing my loyalties. My job must remain first priority right now.

I'm not really looking for any advice, (except for maybe on the tardiness thing) just venting really. I really want to start school this fall, but I may have to wait a year :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blurped

New

Post by blurped » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:51 am

My understanding is that you are only allowed a certain number of class absences at STCL per semester. I believe it is in their student handbook. I'd assume this is the case at all schools though...

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:40 pm

Absences yes. But what about tardies? That's my question.

I visited a STCL class last night. Pretty much everyone was on time, maybe one or two straggled in a few minutes late.

There was no sign of any roll call, or attendance sheet however, until the very END of class. I know the prof wasn't taking a visual roll, because he didn't even notice I was in his class and had never been there before.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:43 pm

My understanding is that you are only allowed a certain number of class absences at STCL per semester. I believe it is in their student handbook. I'd assume this is the case at all schools though...
A lot of schools don't take attendance (mine didn't).

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Anyone 0L (soon to be 1L's) attending the ADR workshops on July 14 and 21st?

I thought it was pretty cool for them to include us in this summer program. I wonder if they are trying to drum up some interest. I think I'm going to go.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:17 pm

rdcws000 wrote:Anyone 0L (soon to be 1L's) attending the ADR workshops on July 14 and 21st?

I thought it was pretty cool for them to include us in this summer program. I wonder if they are trying to drum up some interest. I think I'm going to go.
I'll be a 3L doing it. Maybe I'll wear a tag or a blue Titleist hat so you cats can come say hi ;)

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:49 am

Grad_Student wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:Anyone 0L (soon to be 1L's) attending the ADR workshops on July 14 and 21st?

I'll be a 3L doing it. Maybe I'll wear a tag or a blue Titleist hat so you cats can come say hi ;)
Maybe I'll see you there. I RSVP'd but apparently I'm too dumb to use Evite, so I don't know if I'm official yet. I was kind of surprised to receive an Evite for it.

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:18 pm

filled out the evite, see you guys there.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Thoughts on ADR, Dean Alfini or anything else?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”