South Texas College of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rdcws000

Bronze

Re: South Texas College of Law

Post by rdcws000 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Dummers, LOL.

I've been trying to think of how to categorize these people myself. I know exactly what you are referring to. It seems to be worse in our earlier class, because that prof doesn't shut them down quite as much.

I haven't figured out what causes it, but it really drives me nuts. I think some of them are just so excited to be in class that they want to be heard and want to ask questions that they think mean something. Unfortunately this steals precious class time from all of us, while the prof humors their misguided question for sometimes 10-15 minutes after the majority of the class has grasped the important lesson from a case.

And to the few people who feel like they are qualified to directly challenge a prof on a point, on the first and second day of school... double LOL.

I hope that aspect of our classes gets better.

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:36 pm

rdcws000 wrote:
And to the few people who feel like they are qualified to directly challenge a prof on a point, on the first and second day of school... double LOL.

Yeah on your second day I don't see any good coming out a statement to the professor that starts out "I don't mean to offend you but I have to question your reasoning on this case"

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:25 pm

happy187 wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:

Yeah on your second day I don't see any good coming out a statement to the professor that starts out "I don't mean to offend you but I have to question your reasoning on this case"
Those will subside, although some of them not until spring semester. also PM me your profs and I'll send you any outlines that I have.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:34 pm

On a positive note, the incessant questioning seems to have died down a bit this week. I don't begrudge anyone asking questions, I feel lost sometimes as well, but there seems to be a clear distinction between a question that adds value, and a question that just takes up time.

Thanks for the offer on the outlines. I'll PM you.

patrick henry

New

Post by patrick henry » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:56 pm

:D Excellent trial law school. Passed both Va and Tx bars exams with ease and in the top 10% on Tx bar exam. Really prepares you for the practice of law. Have won cases before Va Supreme Court and Picture on front page of Lawyers Weekly. Has helped to make me a member of the Million Dollar Advocacy Forum and to become a Millionaire while helping my clients. Most of my classmates have done very well. A classmate had to transfer to University of Houston for financial reasons, which is a good school, however, she thought STCL was definitely better. I routinely win cases against the elite law school grads thanks to STCL and its program.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:05 am

patrick henry wrote::D Excellent trial law school. Passed both Va and Tx bars exams with ease and in the top 10% on Tx bar exam. Really prepares you for the practice of law. Have won cases before Va Supreme Court and Picture on front page of Lawyers Weekly. Has helped to make me a member of the Million Dollar Advocacy Forum and to become a Millionaire while helping my clients. Most of my classmates have done very well. A classmate had to transfer to University of Houston for financial reasons, which is a good school, however, she thought STCL was definitely better. I routinely win cases against the elite law school grads thanks to STCL and its program.
Glad to hear PH!

Praying4Fall11

New

Post by Praying4Fall11 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:43 pm

I am highly interested in STCL, I read a post that said it is 80% caucasian...is that just because of location or is the school not minority friendly?

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Female students: 43%
Minority students: 27%
25th-75th percentile LSAT: 152/158
25th-75th percentile GPA: 3.06/3.55
Applications received: 2,220
Matriculants: 360

2010 student profile.

I highly doubt the school is not minority friendly, I would assume that many minority candidates looking to go to law school in Houston would be attracted to TSU Thurgood Marshall School of Law since it is extremely pro-minority. Just a guess though.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:21 am

Praying4Fall11 wrote:I am highly interested in STCL, I read a post that said it is 80% caucasian...is that just because of location or is the school not minority friendly?
I can't speak for the entire class this year, or recite any statistics, but I can say with certainty that my section this year is not 80% caucasian. There are 83 students in our section, and in order to be 80% caucasian there could only be 17 minorities, and I know this is not the case. I would estimate at least 30, maybe more.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Praying4Fall11 wrote:I am highly interested in STCL, I read a post that said it is 80% caucasian...is that just because of location or is the school not minority friendly?
I think they are minority "friendly." I'm AAM. Thus far, STCL has sent me three emails. I know absolutley 0 about this school. Why are they harassing me? I feel violated. :cry:

Frenzy

New

Post by Frenzy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Has anyone who applied for Spring 2011 heard any news on their application?

guitarmonkey55

New

Post by guitarmonkey55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:18 pm

Frenzy wrote:Has anyone who applied for Spring 2011 heard any news on their application?
I got accepted via email on 10/22. Seat deposit for me was due 11/5 and I got a scholarship email on 11/5 as well. I submitted my app the first day it went live so if they are doing it first come-first serve then who knows how long they will still be sending out decisions.

xaflatoonx

New

Post by xaflatoonx » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm

I have a question...

and i have looked and looked but wasnt sure if i have the right info to answer my question.

How many HOURS - in TOTAL - are needed for the JD degree from STCL?

i see their break down on the website for full and part time info and what is mandatory and all that.. but it doesnt state anywhere how many hours TOTAL are needed (included electives and what not) to graduate??

I am just trying to figure out how long it will take for me to graduate if i go part time.

Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:44 am

90 hours.

FT - 3 years
PT - 4 years

xaflatoonx

New

Post by xaflatoonx » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Thank you sir.

I appreciate it - couldnt find that anywhere on the site...

On their site - they have listed the mandatory courses to take during the first and second year ...

i guess after the first two years we are open to take whatever and whenever???

we are to DEFINITELY FOLLOW the plan for the first two years???

sorry for stupid questions - but your help is definitely appreciated.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:24 pm

xaflatoonx wrote:Thank you sir.

I appreciate it - couldnt find that anywhere on the site...

On their site - they have listed the mandatory courses to take during the first and second year ...

i guess after the first two years we are open to take whatever and whenever???

we are to DEFINITELY FOLLOW the plan for the first two years???

sorry for stupid questions - but your help is definitely appreciated.
Yeah you just take electives. Some stuff is on the bar and some stuff is really cool and not on the bar.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Is the STCL curve pretty brutal? I have a scholarship that's contingent on a 3.0, and it's weighing pretty heavily on my decision. Finding out I could lose it easily would change that quite a bit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:15 pm

top 33% is 2.9 if that helps you.

Beestinga

New

Post by Beestinga » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:50 am

what's class dress code like?
I'm mostly interested in the sleeve situation. Long sleeves in Houston in August/Sept. sounds brutal.
That's not the expectation, is it?

Beestinga

New

Post by Beestinga » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:56 am

upfish wrote:Is the STCL curve pretty brutal? I have a scholarship that's contingent on a 3.0, and it's weighing pretty heavily on my decision. Finding out I could lose it easily would change that quite a bit.
upfish,
below is an exerpt from this thread. I wholeheartedly disagree and think that his reasoning is kind of dumbshit, but he probably knows better than I do, and it's relevant to you, so here you go...

This matters because of the cost of law school. When the majority of grads are making this little money, it is foolish to go into a lot of debt. Outside of the top 10-20 schools, due to the fact that a majority of the class ends up with these low paying jobs, I would advocate not taking out more than $100,000-$120,000 dollars in loans because that is roughly the maximum amount of loans one can pay off in 10 years off of a salary in the $30,000-$60,000 range. The other thing is that I would avoid scholarships with stipulations that require you to be any higher than top 50% of the class due to the difficulty in keeping them.

happy187

Bronze

Post by happy187 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:30 am

Beestinga wrote:what's class dress code like?
I'm mostly interested in the sleeve situation. Long sleeves in Houston in August/Sept. sounds brutal.
That's not the expectation, is it?
no dress code that I know of.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:38 am

Beestinga wrote: upfish,
below is an exerpt from this thread. I wholeheartedly disagree and think that his reasoning is kind of dumbshit, but he probably knows better than I do, and it's relevant to you, so here you go...

This matters because of the cost of law school. When the majority of grads are making this little money, it is foolish to go into a lot of debt. Outside of the top 10-20 schools, due to the fact that a majority of the class ends up with these low paying jobs, I would advocate not taking out more than $100,000-$120,000 dollars in loans because that is roughly the maximum amount of loans one can pay off in 10 years off of a salary in the $30,000-$60,000 range. The other thing is that I would avoid scholarships with stipulations that require you to be any higher than top 50% of the class due to the difficulty in keeping them.
If top 33% at STCL is 2.9, it's not bad advice to say that one shouldn't count on holding the scholarship too long. You'd have to be in the upper 25% to keep the $$, and without it STCL is almost as expensive as better choices. =/

Jpb2399

New

Post by Jpb2399 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:29 am

How I STCL for our of state people? Ever since I've visited Houston I have wanted to go there.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Mon May 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Jpb2399 wrote:How I STCL for our of state people? Ever since I've visited Houston I have wanted to go there.
que?

ao32115

New

Post by ao32115 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:51 pm

This is coming from a current UH Law student who's talked to both UH Law grads and STCL grads. Reality is that in the current economy: 1) For UH, you'll need to be top 30% to have a decent shot at obtaining a job which allows you to pay back your 70K-80K in student loans without having to live like a hermit, 2) For STCL, you'll likely need to be top 30.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”