NYU 1L: Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lyrrad

New

Re: NYU 1L: Taking Questions

Post by Lyrrad » Sun May 10, 2009 4:16 pm

elisecolette wrote:Any current students: often do you study in your room vs. the library or somewhere else?

Mostly the reason is, I'm considering getting a big monitor for my laptop, and I really like those new Mac 24" LCD's but they're like $900 and I don't want to spend all that on a monitor if I'm never even going to be studying at home.

I know the answer to this probably just depends on personal preference, but do yall generally think it would be useful, or stupid to invest in a monitor for home?
I've been studying in a mix of my room, library, and other school public areas. I find it easier to study from paper usually. If you're just using the monitor for your laptop, it might not be worth it. I have a separate desktop computer, and large monitors work out well for me though I don't do much studying on them.

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Mon May 11, 2009 3:39 pm

elisecolette wrote:Also, does anyone know who wrote this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/success- ... chool.html and if it's a real person and if so, how to get in touch with him/her?
The article was written by a user named NYU 1L http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/m ... ile&u=5431

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Thu May 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Any current NYU students: If you bought your laptop from the NYU computer store, how good are they about fixing problems? Is it necessary to get the additional coverage service plan?

asaunde2

New

Post by asaunde2 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:17 pm

Do we automatically get access to the NYU gym or is that an additional charge? How is the gym? Good equipment? Long waits?

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue May 19, 2009 1:18 am

dunno about the laptop thing

yeah you get automatic access to the gyms. i've been to the one that is supposed to be worse (cole, it's closer to mercer). seemed fine to me, but i'm no gym rat...
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Olto

New

Post by Olto » Mon May 25, 2009 11:39 pm

asaunde2 wrote:Do we automatically get access to the NYU gym or is that an additional charge? How is the gym? Good equipment? Long waits?
Palladium is beautiful. My girlfriend, an NYU undergrad alum, signed up for the gyms as an alum because it is so nice. It's not far from the campus - on 14th and 3rd. You can hop on the train by mercer and be there in probably five minutes, or walk in about 10 minutes from Mercer, 15 minutes from the Law School.

azlawlady

New

Post by azlawlady » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:22 pm

:D
Last edited by azlawlady on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:42 pm

NYU2011 wrote:First semester is Lawyering, Torts, Ks, Civ Pro for everyone;
Bumping this...is this pretty much the same for every incoming class of 1Ls?

stavand

New

Post by stavand » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:50 pm

I believe so... there are 4 traditional courses in NYUs 1L Year... Torts, CivPro, Contracts, and Crim. Law. From what I understand, Torts and Civ Pro are always in the first semester, with Contracts and Crim sometimes flipping, although I had Contracts first semester this year.

The other two courses second semester are Administrative and Regulatory State (which I actually liked, but that was more because of an amazing professor than the subject matter) and an elective (I took Corporations, but the others were ConLaw, Property, Income Tax, and International Law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

azlawlady

New

Post by azlawlady » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:10 pm

dbt wrote:
NYU2011 wrote:First semester is Lawyering, Torts, Ks, Civ Pro for everyone;
Bumping this...is this pretty much the same for every incoming class of 1Ls?
They have the full year and optional electives laid out on the website:

http://www.law.nyu.edu/academics/course ... /index.htm

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:25 am

Just to make sure I'm gathering this correctly, we have no say in what courses we take first semester or what professors we have? So it's just about waiting and finding out...no reason to look into who's good to take for what 1L year?

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:58 am

Sobriquet wrote:Just to make sure I'm gathering this correctly, we have no say in what courses we take first semester or what professors we have? So it's just about waiting and finding out...no reason to look into who's good to take for what 1L year?
second sem you can choose prop, conlaw, int'l, tax, or corporations

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:17 am

Question concerning food: at my undergrad, we received loans as part of our expense for "residential fees" which included a meal plan. From what I'm gathered, a meal plan at NYU is optional, but what do you generally do for food if you don't get a meal plan? Does the financial aid office allocate a certain amount within the budget for food and you can just borrow that in cash or what?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:20 am

hardly anyone has a meal plan

i got a bunch of food from trader joe's and you learn where the cheap places are like any halal cart, pizza mercato ($4 for two slices and a soda), dosa carts, papaya dog (2 hot dogs, fries, drink for $5), etc

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:29 am

Does anyone know how lockers work? I'm living off campus so I assume I get one?

stavand

New

Post by stavand » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:42 am

Everyone who lives off campus gets guaranteed a locker, without having to even request it. I live a block from the law school (closer than the Mercer Dorm) and I got a locker cause I live off campus. I'm sure there is a process for requesting a locker if you live in the dorms, but there is probably a charge or some sort of special exception required.

espresso

New

Post by espresso » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:35 pm

stavand wrote:Everyone who lives off campus gets guaranteed a locker, without having to even request it.
Nice, good to hear. Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

asaunde2

New

Post by asaunde2 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:06 am

I don't know if anyone's still checking this, but...

Do NYU profs typically assign alot of work to 1Ls for the winter break between fall and spring semesters?

thanks

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:11 am

asaunde2 wrote:I don't know if anyone's still checking this, but...

Do NYU profs typically assign alot of work to 1Ls for the winter break between fall and spring semesters?

thanks
No. The fall professors are done with you, and the spring professors don't assign anything until the first week of class. I haven't heard of any LSs where students are assigned work for winter break.

1L winter vacation is incredibly relaxing. I played fallout 3 (and drank excessively) for the duration of my winter vacation.

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:14 am

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:32 am

FeuerFrei wrote:Is there a PI track or set of courses you do if you're going that route? How are gov't job prospects for NYU grads?
I don't think there's a specific PI track, but there are PI and Gov't related clinics, which are supposed to be very good if you're into that sort of thing. If you want to get quasi litigation experience in LS, there's also the unemployment action center, which allows you to represent defendants in unemployment court while you're still just a student.

Gov't prospects are good, but the dynamic is a little different. From what I've heard, local places (e.g., local DA's office) aren't all that impressed by pedigree, and are usually filled with students who did well at lower ranked schools. On the other hand, prestigious gov't employers (e.g., US attorneys offices) do value pedigree.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

m87

New

Post by m87 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:35 pm

How is orientation? What sorts of things do you do, and is it at all overwhelming (like do they just throw you into things)?

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:44 pm

m87 wrote:How is orientation? What sorts of things do you do, and is it at all overwhelming (like do they just throw you into things)?
It's not remotely overwhelming. Last year we participated in a nondescript scavenger hunt, watched an appellate exhibition featuring Richard Epstein, listened to several lectures, and attended a few social events. Aside from the appellate exhibition, it was all pretty forgettable.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:36 am

edcrane wrote:
asaunde2 wrote:I don't know if anyone's still checking this, but...

thanks
1L winter vacation is incredibly relaxing. I played fallout 3 (and drank excessively) for the duration of my winter vacation.
i gained 5-10 pounds in those weeks. it was awesome

i found orientation somewhat overwhelming. it was hot outside! and we had to walk a lot ugh

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:24 pm

I read on a blog that we should dress business casual for orientation. If we're doing scavenger hunts and walking around, bus cas doesn't really sound appropriate. Thoughts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”