NYU 1L: Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DanceAroundTheBorder

New

NYU 1L: Taking Questions

Post by DanceAroundTheBorder » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:34 pm

Hey all;

NYU 1L taking questions. Had several years w/e prior to law school. Generally love it here, have been very involved. No idea on the admissions side but willing to answer anything else you may have. I live on campus but will probably be moving off next year and certainly as a 3L (not as an indictment of the housing, just because I am ready to not be living in a dorm anymore).

- DATB

onenotesamba

New

Re: NYU 1L: Taking Questions

Post by onenotesamba » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:10 pm

I have two questions, one specific, one general:

Do you know if NYU takes kindly to merit scholarship "bartering?" Would they laugh if a potential student asked for a little money if they got some from a lower T14?

What's your favorite aspect of NYU and law school in general? Perhaps something that took you by surprise?

Thanks much!

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:25 pm

How is the quality of life in the dorm and how much are you paying?

strangerdanger

New

Post by strangerdanger » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:35 pm

RussianGirl wrote:How is the quality of life in the dorm and how much are you paying?
+1

DanceAroundTheBorder

New

Post by DanceAroundTheBorder » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:27 pm

1. Unfortunately can't speak to negotiating. I got a decent merit scholarship through one of them that you apply to when applying, so didn't have the opportunity to negotiate. No one really discusses those things, so I can't really speak to anyone else's experience either.

2. I would say two things have surprised me most. First, the collegial nature of the student body. Everyone is really relaxed and friendly and (relatively) social and gets along. Lots of people in my section shared the "this isn't as bad as it is supposed to be" experience. Second, I am not quite as awed by the intellectual nature of my classmates as I expected to be. There are definitely a few people that are a cut above, but for the most part I wouldn't say that this is a group that is particularly intellectually impressive or academic. I think this is in large part due to the fact that I spent a few years working with a VERY bright and driven group, so my perspective is skewed. I would also say (at least for my section) that it is a super socially awkward group; not that people don't go out and drink and have fun, just that they don't seem very comfortable doing it. Not exactly your frat-boy, watch football and drink beer type of people. Not for better or worse, necessarily.

3. As for housing. I am very happy (in Mercer) but it certainly isn't the most social of places. I pay 1700-ish per month, inclusive of everything. The room is small but totally fine for what I need, the walk to class is 5 minutes and it is VERY easy to live here. Given the fact that I spend very little time in my room (and, in fact, find it to be very conducive to studying due to how small and relatively spartan it is) it really suits me perfectly. That said, I will definitely be looking to move off campus in the next two years. D'Ag is definitely more social, but the rooms are smaller and you are right across the street from the law school. All in all, it has definitely made things EASIER here, but it hasn't been a huge positive in my experience.

- DATB

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uclabruins

New

Post by uclabruins » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:46 pm

Do you find the 1L sections to be too large to know your classmates well?

DanceAroundTheBorder

New

Post by DanceAroundTheBorder » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:13 pm

uclabruins wrote:Do you find the 1L sections to be too large to know your classmates well?
Not at all. First off, we are broken down in to lawyering groups of approximately 25 - 30, all of whom you get to know VERY well during the course of a year-long class. Second, they do a pretty good job fostering intra-section activities (at least my section does) and you get to know people that way. My main gripe in terms of this aspect of things is that I thought they could have done much more during orientation in terms of breaking people up in to smaller groups for social purposes; but lawyering really does force you to get to know at least 25 of your classmates very well.

Just like anything, it is what you put in to it. But spending 3 classes a semester with 80 people? You get to know them pretty fast. If you want to.

DATB

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:15 pm

What's the social life like? Does everyone go out together?

I know you said that people are socially awkward, but could you elaborate a little bit about what the people are like? I'm really curious about the kind of people I will meet in LS. Thanks :-)

DanceAroundTheBorder

New

Post by DanceAroundTheBorder » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:22 pm

RussianGirl wrote:What's the social life like? Does everyone go out together?

I know you said that people are socially awkward, but could you elaborate a little bit about what the people are like? I'm really curious about the kind of people I will meet in LS. Thanks :-)
I should have qualified my earlier statements by saying that, by choice, I have a somewhat minimal social life with LS people outside of class. Having been in the city for a few years prior to working I already had a close group of friends here. That said, people DEFINITELY do go out together, a lot, and there are school sponsored social events every week that are relatively well attended.

In terms of the social awkwardness comment; I guess I came in expecting a more stereotypically Manhattan / "cool kids" kind of group and it's not even close to that. It is also a pretty unattractive group, IMO. But, I can't stress enough, a VERY nice and laid back group of people. Based on my interactions, of course.

DATB

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:25 pm

do a majority of students work in nyc for their 1L summer? if so, where do they live during the summer? would most people who stay in nyc for 1L summer basically be looking for a place where you'd also stay through 2L?

DanceAroundTheBorder

New

Post by DanceAroundTheBorder » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:28 pm

doyleoil wrote:do a majority of students work in nyc for their 1L summer? if so, where do they live during the summer? would most people who stay in nyc for 1L summer basically be looking for a place where you'd also stay through 2L?
People are really just starting to sort out job stuff now, so this is difficult to answer; but I would say most that I know are trying to stay in NYC with a large percentage also going back home for the summer. On-campus housing is definitely available for the summer (to NYU students and non-students alike) either just for the summer or to carry over in to 2L.

RussianGirl

New

Post by RussianGirl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:35 pm

DanceAroundTheBorder wrote: It is also a pretty unattractive group, IMO
lmao. Here come silly questions, out of sheer curiosity...
How about the other sections/2Ls/3Ls? - also unattractive?
Do people date in LS? Does that turn into a bunch of drama? I was advised to avoid dating altogether if I want to escape a dramatic high school-like situation...
More importantly, how much time per day do you study? And on the weekends? How much does one have to study to be in the top 5-10%?

DanceAroundTheBorder

New

Post by DanceAroundTheBorder » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:42 pm

RussianGirl wrote:
DanceAroundTheBorder wrote: It is also a pretty unattractive group, IMO
lmao. Here come silly questions, out of sheer curiosity...
How about the other sections/2Ls/3Ls? - also unattractive?
Do people date in LS? Does that turn into a bunch of drama? I was advised to avoid dating altogether if I want to escape a dramatic high school-like situation...
More importantly, how much time per day do you study? And on the weekends? How much does one have to study to be in the top 5-10%?
I know a few serious couples in law school and a bunch of people who have hooked up with other students. I really think the whole "don't do it for fear of drama" thing is a little childish; but to each his own. Can't really comment on the unattractive-ness as a whole, but I really have been unimpressed on that front. Very much so, in fact.

I study a decent amount but nothing insane. I try to work during the day (between classes) and then take off for dinner and to see friends around dinner, then usually work, well, now, until going to sleep. On the weekends I usually work both days in the mornings and in to the early afternoons and go out at night. I think the key is to just stay disciplined when you work; don't mess around on the internet, don't stop to talk on the phone - just do what you need to do and get it done. And don't get caught up in the drama of what you are "supposed" to do; just do what is best for you and do it well. I did well first semester - not top 5 percent, but probably top 20 or so (we have relatively fixed curves 1st year so it's easy to tell based on your grades alone).

DATB

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prelawyer078

New

Post by prelawyer078 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:58 pm

Wait, unattractive men or women?

TammyG

New

Post by TammyG » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:45 am

Hey! First, thanks for answering questions. :)

You said you received one of the scholarships you have to apply for. I have applied for one, and I was wondering when you applied and when you heard back about your acceptance and when they told you that you were a candidate and would need to interview. I'm wondering if they see you applied for a scholarship if they will look over your app earlier. They say you have to be admitted by the time the committee meets, and if they do look over the apps early I'm just trying to see if I don't hear back before Feb or in early Feb if I can pretty much assume I'm out.

Thanks.

DanceAroundTheBorder

New

Post by DanceAroundTheBorder » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:34 am

I was talking about the guys being unattractive; but I honestly think it holds across both sexes.

Not sure on the timing - mine was definitely later than February, though. Sorry I can't be more specific. I for some reason can't find any of the old emails on this, either. Hm.

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:44 am

I'm curious that you lived on campus, given that you were really familiar with NY. I'm in the same position, will have been here for 4 years and am not particularly into the idea of living in that neighborhood or paying an insane amount. But i wonder about the convenience factor of not having to commute to places like Bk. You are glad you lived in the dorms and did you have any friends that lived off campus and preferred that?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

manusevil

New

Post by manusevil » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks for taking questions:

Do you find you have enough time to go to concerts/bars/clubs during the week while maintaining decent preparedness for class? Or is it mostly work hard weekdays / play hard weekends?

Hows the gym? Easy to access / late hours? Did you find it difficult to keep up a reasonable exercise regime your first semester?

Law students get free printing, right?

Last one, I know that most students will probably end up in BIGLAW after they graduate, but what do people in your section SAY they want to do with their JD?

Thanks dude.

NakaNaka

New

Post by NakaNaka » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:05 pm

manusevil wrote:Thanks for taking questions:

Do you find you have enough time to go to concerts/bars/clubs during the week while maintaining decent preparedness for class? Or is it mostly work hard weekdays / play hard weekends?

Hows the gym? Easy to access / late hours? Did you find it difficult to keep up a reasonable exercise regime your first semester?

Law students get free printing, right?

Last one, I know that most students will probably end up in BIGLAW after they graduate, but what do people in your section SAY they want to do with their JD?

Thanks dude.
People go out sometimes during the week. I can make time for a concert/bar during the week if I want to. But it's much easier to study weeknights and go out weekend nights. But plenty of people go out weekday nights too, it's not work 24/7.

I don't use the school gym but plenty of people do.

Yeah, free printing.

Neko83

New

Post by Neko83 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:34 pm

Thanks for answering questions!

-How are the intramural sports? I'm guessing there's not much going on outdoors (like flag football etc), due to NYU's location? Do they at least have some basketball though?

-If you want to go and grab a decent lunch off campus, how much are you looking at paying (assuming you are a man and want to get full...I'm not talking a salad here)? How is the food/cost of food on campus? Does anywhere have free refills on soft drinks or is this a completely foreign idea in the Village?

-What do people do for fun besides go to the bars/clubs?

-What campus groups/organizations are the most visible/powerful at NYU?

DanceAroundTheBorder

New

Post by DanceAroundTheBorder » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:07 am

IM flag football is actually huge first semester. Organized by lawyering groups. Nothing yet this semester, but I have heard there is a basketball league that is University wide and other indoor (volleyball, maybe? soccer?) sports also.

Food is expensive. There are all the normal slightly more upscale chains in the area, too (chipotle, ABP, et) so you can definitely stay under 10 dollars if you want to. But if you want to go out to lunch (or dinner) it can get pricey. I try to keep my meals cheap when eating alone / lunch, and then go out to nice dinners. To each his own, of course. . .

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DanceAroundTheBorder

New

Post by DanceAroundTheBorder » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:08 am

There is free printing in the library and residence halls.

Lots of people actually "admit" they want to go in to big law, but there is
obviously a huge public interest push here and something like 65 % of
people do PI work in their first summer. But I do think, when being candid,
lots of people will tell of their biglaw plans. There are also a decent amt.
of people I have met who talk about getting in to environmental law, which
surprised me.

DATB

NakaNaka

New

Post by NakaNaka » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:14 am

Flag football is huge. It's a really big deal here and it is a lot of fun.

I spend an average of $7 for lunch when I eat off campus. That will usually get you a sandwich at a deli w. chips, or some Cosi, or Subway or something.

Artvark1

New

Post by Artvark1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:37 am

Thanks for answering questions guys! Is there any way you could post your schedule from a "typical week" of your first semester... nothing too extensive, just to give us an idea of what to expect. Thanks!

prbaglady

New

Post by prbaglady » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Where do most off campus law students live? EVillage? Brooklyn? UES? How difficult is it to commute to school, considering the 1L workload?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”