NYU Students -- where do you live? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
teaadntoast

Bronze

Re: NYU Students -- where do you live?

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:41 pm

mrcomfortable wrote:
elgatonegro45 wrote:Advice from an NYU grad: STAY OFF CRAIGSLIST!!
can you be more specific? what should you look out for if you have to use craigslist?? are there any better options for out-of-towners who will probably be going with off-campus housing?
Suck it up and pay for a broker.

NYC real estate (Brooklyn included) is cut-throat.

The biggest risk with Craigslist is that you'll probabky be taking over someone else's lease, being added to a lease or moving into an apartment without the landlord's knowledge when the current tenant wants out. The paperwork and liability entanglements just aren't worth it.

Plus, 90 percent of what you see on CL isn't nearly as fabulous close up as it is on the interwebs. Brokers are expensive, but they save valuable time and money by weeding out crap you don't want to see and showing you the best of what's on offer. (Granted, you must be very, very firm about what you will and will not pay.)

elgatonegro45

New

Post by elgatonegro45 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Use a realtor. Citi Habitats gives a discount to NYU students. It's going to be exorbitantly expensive but if you want Manhattan that's an unfortunate part of life. Pay the fee. You'll be better off in the long run.

mrcomfortable

New

Post by mrcomfortable » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Sobriquet wrote:Oh, I'm sorry, I might not have clarified in this thread, but I'm living with a significant other. So the only on-campus housing I can really do is the "family" style (which I've heard is hard to get, and I'm not sure living in sin with my boyfriend counts as "family") and those are the ones that cost around $2500+. And I think the standard for a 1bed/larger studio off campus in the nearby neighborhoods are in that range as well.
i'm in the same situation, but after checking with the housing office it seems like all you have to do is sign some forms that say you are in a committed relationship to qualify. as for the prices, there are family/couples studios at the MacDougal street location that are around 1800 (no tv/internet, but w/utilities) and i feel like i saw some for around 2200 at either mercer or d'ag (w/utilities, cable tv/internet).

as to the likelihood of getting said family/couples housing, it depends on where you live now/how early in the process you submit your housing apps (i.e. if you're now living in india and submit the form the first day it's available, they told me you would have a 'very good chance' of getting selected). the selection process starts in mid-june.

yea, i was bored at work yesterday and had an extended e-mail conversation with a helpful housing lady...

mrcomfortable

New

Post by mrcomfortable » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:11 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
mrcomfortable wrote:
elgatonegro45 wrote:Advice from an NYU grad: STAY OFF CRAIGSLIST!!
can you be more specific? what should you look out for if you have to use craigslist?? are there any better options for out-of-towners who will probably be going with off-campus housing?

NYC real estate (Brooklyn included) is cut-throat.

The biggest risk with Craigslist is that you'll probabky be taking over someone else's lease, being added to a lease or moving into an apartment without the landlord's knowledge when the current tenant wants out. The paperwork and liability entanglements just aren't worth it.

Plus, 90 percent of what you see on CL isn't nearly as fabulous close up as it is on the interwebs. Brokers are expensive, but they save valuable time and money by weeding out crap you don't want to see and showing you the best of what's on offer. (Granted, you must be very, very firm about what you will and will not pay.)
would you then say that it's also pretty risky to get a summer sublet off CL? i was thinking of doing that for the summer months so my SO has a base to find a job, and so that we can take more time to find a permanent place to live. i haven't done the sublet thing before, so i'm not sure what sort of (legal?) issues would be involved...

i'm still a little skeptical about the broker thing though...it seems like you can hustle a bit on CL to find something decent w/out putting yourself at too much risk.

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:16 pm

My friend found her summer apartment on CL. She actually put up the ad soliciting people trying to sublet for the summer. Said it worked quite well. I imagine CL in NY is no different than it is in Chicago or anywhere else.

What about the housing office? They have their own listings for apartments near the school. Current students - any of you had luck using their off-campus resources?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Olto

New

Post by Olto » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:19 pm

I've been in the city for about 5 years. Lived in a bunch of different apartments and have tons of friends who rent. It is possible to get very nice places for $1,200 a month in rent if you look at the right time and with the right amount of people (ie: convertible 2 bedroom to 3 bedroom makes the rent go down a LOT).

Anyway, I dorm now at NYU Law and I love it. It's a quick walk to the school and my building is in the heart of the village. It's a little pricey but it includes utilities, cable, etc. which ultimately ends up being $200 a month or so anyway. All told it's like I'm paying about $1,400 a month in rent and about $200 a month for the rest. It's basically on par with what you can get elsewhere in Manhattan.

Generally, prices have been dropping in Manhattan but I don't know what it will be like come August. Dorming is such a convenient option and for the first year it seems like the way to go. Renting an apartment that might cost a little bit more for your second and third year isn't going to put a major damper on your wallet, considering you'll be taking out massive loans anyway. Or if you're wealthy enough to pay for law school in the first place, the extra few hundred a month in rent isn't going to kill you, especially when you'll be making $30k that 2nd year summer and $160k soon thereafter.

PS: For Brokers, call 212 460 8000 and ask for Adam L. or Chris D. They'll take care of you with a student discount. They've been doing this for years and I've heard of plenty of bad experiences with Citi Habitats (ie just recently had a friend who used them but called me for all the questions because they hated their broker).

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:21 pm

mrcomfortable wrote: would you then say that it's also pretty risky to get a summer sublet off CL? i was thinking of doing that for the summer months so my SO has a base to find a job, and so that we can take more time to find a permanent place to live. i haven't done the sublet thing before, so i'm not sure what sort of (legal?) issues would be involved...

i'm still a little skeptical about the broker thing though...it seems like you can hustle a bit on CL to find something decent w/out putting yourself at too much risk.
Hey, it's all a matter of personal preference. CL really is a grab bag. There are certainly very nice people just looking for roomies or shares, and I know a few people who had great success with it. But I also know people who wound up losing time, sleep and money due to CL-related problems.

That said, CL is probably a good bet to find a sublet for the summer. Just be sure that everything is above-board and review anything you're asked to sign extremely carefully.

I still say go for a broker for permanent housing. Brokers often have relationships with management companies or particular buildings, which can help if you wind up competing with another couple for the same apt. You should also note that some management companies only list their vacancies with brokers or insist that you work with one. A good broker will also help you assemble the documentation you're going to need in order to make an application.
Last edited by teaadntoast on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SmittyLaw

New

Post by SmittyLaw » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:22 pm

I found my great apartment on Craiglist (rented by owner) and have lived there for 5 years.

I've lived in the city almost ten years and have never heard it called "ABC City" - it's Alphabet City. Just FYI.

dooder

New

Post by dooder » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:25 pm

mrcomfortable wrote:
Sobriquet wrote:Oh, I'm sorry, I might not have clarified in this thread, but I'm living with a significant other. So the only on-campus housing I can really do is the "family" style (which I've heard is hard to get, and I'm not sure living in sin with my boyfriend counts as "family") and those are the ones that cost around $2500+. And I think the standard for a 1bed/larger studio off campus in the nearby neighborhoods are in that range as well.
i'm in the same situation, but after checking with the housing office it seems like all you have to do is sign some forms that say you are in a committed relationship to qualify. as for the prices, there are family/couples studios at the MacDougal street location that are around 1800 (no tv/internet, but w/utilities) and i feel like i saw some for around 2200 at either mercer or d'ag (w/utilities, cable tv/internet).
The MacDougal "family housing" one for $1800 is also a tiny freakin' box - about 340sq ft. I'm sorry, I don't care how much you love your SO, living like that is ridiculous. Also, the "large" studio (for 2 people and family housing) is only 475 sqft and $2500!! Maybe it's just the crazy low cost of living where I live, but this seems so crazy and definitely worth looking for off campus housing. Even just browsing places in Brooklyn, Chelsea, Murray Hill, etc. are much cheaper, more space, and to me would totally be worth the few hassles one might encounter, at least IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:25 pm

SmittyLaw wrote:I found my great apartment on Craiglist (rented by owner) and have lived there for 5 years.

I've lived in the city almost ten years and have never heard it called "ABC City" - it's Alphabet City. Just FYI.
Key points.

eljam24

New

Post by eljam24 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Last edited by eljam24 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

elgatonegro45

New

Post by elgatonegro45 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Do what you will, future NYU students. I certainly didn't listen to people when I moved to NYC and I'm still around. It'll be a wild ride.

NickyP

New

Post by NickyP » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:38 pm

Sobriquet wrote:Do any of the neighborhoods you mention pose a problem for female residents who might be walking home late at night? What would you say are the safest of the ones you mentioned?
If I get into NYU I'm going to be looking at Brooklyn, but if I was a woman I'd feel a lot safer anywhere in (lower-mid) Manhattan than Brooklyn. That's just the impression I get from incidents I've heard about from friends of friends.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ezpar

New

Post by ezpar » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:43 pm

I tend to agree with those that say the "family housing" isn't a great option for those with a SO. There's no way I could live in a 375 sf dorm room with my SO, haha. It also seems like a pain with only having the place for 9 months -- it may be wishful thinking, but I really want to find a place for the 3 years we'll be down there. Also, having dorm furniture and stuff is a HUGE turn-off, haha.

If we do take the plunge to NYC it will certainly be interesting...we're debating whether or not we'd hire a broker/realtor. It'd definitely make the process easier but at a price. We'll see... it'll be an adventure indeed

Pumpkin

Bronze

Post by Pumpkin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:48 pm

I know NY can seem crazy for people not from there but most areas are really really safe, including Brooklyn. In fact, parts of BK have almost a small town feel and so people shouldn't feel that by not taking the campus housing they are compromising safety...

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:58 pm

NickyP wrote: If I get into NYU I'm going to be looking at Brooklyn, but if I was a woman I'd feel a lot safer anywhere in (lower-mid) Manhattan than Brooklyn. That's just the impression I get from incidents I've heard about from friends of friends.
"Brooklyn" is a big place with lots of different neighborhoods, most of which are wonderful, safe places. I mean, there's a reason why people who love the city but want to have families often move to Boerum Hill, Clinton Hill, Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights.

SmittyLaw

New

Post by SmittyLaw » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:09 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
NickyP wrote: If I get into NYU I'm going to be looking at Brooklyn, but if I was a woman I'd feel a lot safer anywhere in (lower-mid) Manhattan than Brooklyn. That's just the impression I get from incidents I've heard about from friends of friends.
"Brooklyn" is a big place with lots of different neighborhoods, most of which are wonderful, safe places. I mean, there's a reason why people who love the city but want to have families often move to Boerum Hill, Clinton Hill, Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights.
TITCR.

Brooklyn is HUGE with many neighborhoods and most are very safe. The craziest thing I've seen in my time in Brooklyn the past five years is a raccoon in a trashcan.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

takingmytime

New

Post by takingmytime » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:54 pm

SmittyLaw wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:
Also, remember that most crime isn't random so living in a place with a worse crime rate doesn't necessarily translate into being more dangerous for the law abiding citizen.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:10 pm

isn't the bronx the only bad area left?
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wansen

New

Post by wansen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:10 pm

I'd agree to use a broker if you have money to pay upfront and you can find a place you want to live for at least 2 yrs. Otherwise not worth the expense. The citi NYU discount is like 12.5% instead of 15%, I think (that's out of a year's rent), so that = like $2300 on even a $1500/month apt, plus you usually need first month +security dep = you're going to have to be comfortable writing a check for $5000 or more to get in the door if you use a broker. Keep in mind you'll also need a guarantor who earns 80X + monthly rent. So if you stay put for a while the broker fee isn't that bad, but if you want or need to move in a year and do it all over again, it starts to add up.

Try nofeerentals.com. Absolutely legit, most in NYU neighborhood, only non-deductible fee is $150 application fee. I lived in one of these a couple of years ago--it was small and def not luxurious but it was cheap and 5 mins from school, 3 mins from subway (astor place station). I've heard other people who had shitty experiences with them, but mine was without any issues.

espresso

New

Post by espresso » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:30 pm

SmittyLaw wrote:
Haha, I'm completely aware of this, I was intending "ABC City" to be read as Alphabet City...just some lazy typing.

Keep this discussion going; it's really helpful for many, I'm sure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ddp

New

Post by ddp » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:59 pm

craigslist works great. ive lived in nyc for 4+ years and always used it. most of the apartments are by broker anyway but at least you're getting a good feel for what is out there all at once. also, the LES and alphabet city are still pretty expensive (lowest you could find is probably 1300 for a SMALL studio).

gannak

New

Post by gannak » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:00 am

if you move to alphabet city, make sure you are as close to houston as possible. there are buses, but the FV runs from 2nd avenue and houston right to the W4th street stop (next to NYU). it's a pretty decent walk from avenue C all the way to the NYU campus. i actually think the LES would be better than alphabet city, anywhere near the delancey stop, grand st, or east broadway. these lines run straight to the nyu campus. you can still walk from there if you feel like it too.

also, don't be put off by scary stories about alphabet city, "D is for death," etc. it's hipsterville now.

VictoryFord

New

Post by VictoryFord » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:15 pm

I'd recommend Brooklyn. Simply find a broker in a good neighborhood and have them do the work.(a lot of times they will get you a better deal because they have contacts in ethnic neighborhoods) I can make it to NYU in ~20 minutes. Astoria isn't bad either and it's probably the best value available but it isn't super fun.

amyLAchemist

New

Post by amyLAchemist » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:21 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
I've heard several people suggest this, esp. since neither myself or my SO is familiar with nyc. Would wanting a place for a minimum of 3 years be considered "permanent" enough to warrant a broker? We're looking to live north of the city, somewhere near the metro north. Others have suggested Yonkers, White Plains, etc....

Also, how much would a broker run for finding a 1-2 bedroom apartment?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”