Wake Law Students taking Questions!!! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PirateCap'n

Silver

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by PirateCap'n » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:19 pm

leidice wrote:
Those are great responses! Thanks for taking the time to write all that out!
Sure thing. I check up on this thread pretty often, so you guys are more than welcome to ask me anything on here or PM me. It's great to have folks that are interested in WFU, and I know every little bit of info can help in making a decision.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:20 am

How long after classes start did you receive the excess amount of your grad plus loan? Did you find it difficult to pay your bills the first month or do you have any insight as to how to best prepare for the first month as far as finances go?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:40 am

NCtoDC wrote:How long after classes start did you receive the excess amount of your grad plus loan? Did you find it difficult to pay your bills the first month or do you have any insight as to how to best prepare for the first month as far as finances go?
For 1Ls, loan money generally goes out on the first day of orientation (as best I remember anyway). Orientation is a week long, and it starts a week before classes for upperclassmen begin. If you don't get the money your first day on campus, it will be sometime during the orientation week. The only thing I had a bit of difficulty with was paying the first month's rent and the security deposit (another month's rent) together. The best way to prepare for the first month is to have some money saved up (maybe $1500-2000 depending on your rent). That way, you should have enough to cover both the first month's rent and a security deposit along with electricity, natural gas, and cable deposits (assuming you're getting cable). The electric and gas folks won't charge you until the end of the month, so you'll just have to pay a deposit to get them cut on (maybe $100). You don't have to worry about a full bill until the end of the month when you'll have your loan money. TW Cable, on the other hand, charges for the first month in advance, so be prepared for that.

For the most part, you shouldn't have any trouble getting everything setup if you have a bit of money saved up. If you're coming onto campus with absolutely nothing, you could have a bit of trouble and might need to hit up family for money or get a small private loan until your money is distributed during orientation. Otherwise, you should be fine.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:48 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:How long after classes start did you receive the excess amount of your grad plus loan? Did you find it difficult to pay your bills the first month or do you have any insight as to how to best prepare for the first month as far as finances go?
For 1Ls, loan money generally goes out on the first day of orientation (as best I remember anyway). Orientation is a week long, and it starts a week before classes for upperclassmen begin. If you don't get the money your first day on campus, it will be sometime during the orientation week. The only thing I had a bit of difficulty with was paying the first month's rent and the security deposit (another month's rent) together. The best way to prepare for the first month is to have some money saved up (maybe $1500-2000 depending on your rent). That way, you should have enough to cover both the first month's rent and a security deposit along with electricity, natural gas, and cable deposits (assuming you're getting cable). The electric and gas folks won't charge you until the end of the month, so you'll just have to pay a deposit to get them cut on (maybe $100). You don't have to worry about a full bill until the end of the month when you'll have your loan money. TW Cable, on the other hand, charges for the first month in advance, so be prepared for that.

For the most part, you shouldn't have any trouble getting everything setup if you have a bit of money saved up. If you're coming onto campus with absolutely nothing, you could have a bit of trouble and might need to hit up family for money or get a small private loan until your money is distributed during orientation. Otherwise, you should be fine.
Thank you! I have been saving for the rent and security deposit, I guess I was just worried about all the other bills. I do have fur babies, so that is an extra expense as far as renting a place goes too. I was worried the money wasn't given out until two weeks after classes start and was nervous about food/gas, lol.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:50 am

NCtoDC wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Thank you! I have been saving for the rent and security deposit, I guess I was just worried about all the other bills. I do have fur babies, so that is an extra expense as far as renting a place goes too. I was worried the money wasn't given out until two weeks after classes start and was nervous about food/gas, lol.
Sounds like you should be fine then. Most places around here seem to be pretty pet-friendly, so that shouldn't be a problem either. Good luck to you! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:58 pm

For any of the upperclassman on here that might have taken tax classes, how are they? Are they really numbers-heavy, or do they focus more on the actual law? (I'm not a big fan of math, but I want to be able to do at least a little with trusts and estates and other subjects that require taxes.) Any advice?

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:19 pm

How much do you recommend taking out in loans for cost of living expenses? In the official estimated costs, WFU estimates almost 20k per year for rent, living expenses, food, transportation, books, etc. In your opinion, is this number accurate or inflated?

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:26 pm

Relientkate wrote:How much do you recommend taking out in loans for cost of living expenses? In the official estimated costs, WFU estimates almost 20k per year for rent, living expenses, food, transportation, books, etc. In your opinion, is this number accurate or inflated?
In my opinion, I think you should take out what they estimate for the first year and then you can see where you stand for your second and third year. You could always use any extra for paying interest on your loans or for summer living expenses 1L if you don't get a paid gig.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:52 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
Relientkate wrote:How much do you recommend taking out in loans for cost of living expenses? In the official estimated costs, WFU estimates almost 20k per year for rent, living expenses, food, transportation, books, etc. In your opinion, is this number accurate or inflated?
In my opinion, I think you should take out what they estimate for the first year and then you can see where you stand for your second and third year. You could always use any extra for paying interest on your loans or for summer living expenses 1L if you don't get a paid gig.
That's what I did, and it worked out pretty well. It never hurts to have a bit more than you need. You can always just take out less the next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:12 pm

For Prospective Students- Here are some 1L summer jobs that classmates have that I currently know of:

Big Law
NC Department of Justice
Patent Law internship w/ a major corporation
Research Assistant for Professor
Federal Clerkship with a NC District court
Legal Aid of NC

If anyone wants to add anymore just PM me- I think this would be an interesting resource for prospective students and current 1Ls who are curious.
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:16 pm

Current Students:

Do you feel like Wake is very litigation focused? I got that vibe at the open house Friday.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:30 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Current Students:

Do you feel like Wake is very litigation focused? I got that vibe at the open house Friday.
Hell yeah. Multiple trial teams. And they are good too--> We recently made it to the finals in some big trial tournament- Professors kept hitting reply all and telling every frigging student how proud they were of these 4 students for kicking butt at competition.

My current legal research and writing professor is a BOSS at litigation. He is the head of one of the trial teams. He loves litigation- he takes the team to see NC supreme court cases and U.S. supreme court cases.

Here's some of his bio on how boss he is:

--LinkRemoved--

He is also one of the nicest human beings I have ever met (I am dead serious).

I know that my TA was recently doing some kind of trial tournament in Atlanta and another TA in my section was somewhere random too- some city on the east coast I think.

A lot of litigation stuff going on with some awesome professors.

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:24 pm

That kind of worries me -- you couldn't pay me enough to litigate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:41 pm

leidice wrote:That kind of worries me -- you couldn't pay me enough to litigate.
Don't be too worried about it. There's no question that the school focuses on litigation. However, like you, I have no desire to litigate. I still love the school, and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in that don't involve litigation. If you're not into the trial teams, there are tons of other extracurriculars and clinics to fill your time. It really is a great school, so don't let the focus on litigation deter you.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:12 am

leidice wrote:That kind of worries me -- you couldn't pay me enough to litigate.
Its not a question of either/or. Their excellence in litigation does not make them ignore other avenues of lawyering. For instance, our second year you can do a business drafting type of class instead of a litigation focused class if you want.

I don't like litigation, but there is still plenty of other extra curriculars, like the pro-bono project.

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:35 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Its not a question of either/or. Their excellence in litigation does not make them ignore other avenues of lawyering.
Oh ok, that's what I was worried about. As long as there are other good opportunities available for the non-litigious folk!

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:45 am

leidice wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Its not a question of either/or. Their excellence in litigation does not make them ignore other avenues of lawyering.
Oh ok, that's what I was worried about. As long as there are other good opportunities available for the non-litigious folk!
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:24 pm

woo, we made it on ATL again! oh wait...for all the wrong reasons. again. its frustrating how one pathetic person can make the whole school look bad.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:17 pm

moandersen wrote:woo, we made it on ATL again! oh wait...for all the wrong reasons. again. its frustrating how one pathetic person can make the whole school look bad.
And they just keep coming. I can't decide which is worse: the original email or the ten million folks who decided to "reply all" to comment on it.

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:23 pm

The following is a very serious and very important question (to me :lol: :lol: ):

Does anyone going to WFU play poker?
And i don't mean like, 'know how to play, and have played for free at bars' (though thats okay too)...

but does anyone like seriously play poker?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:27 pm

girlonfire wrote:The following is a very serious and very important question (to me :lol: :lol: ):

Does anyone going to WFU play poker?
And i don't mean like, 'know how to play, and have played for free at bars' (though thats okay too)...

but does anyone like seriously play poker?
I don't play very often myself, but I know that there is a fairly large group (at least among the 1Ls) that plays a couple of times a week. I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble finding a crowd to go a couple of hands with you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:17 am

Do any of you current students live alone? How much do you pay in rent and do you find it manageable considering the schools budget? Do you have money to "have fun" after paying your bills?

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:55 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Do any of you current students live alone? How much do you pay in rent and do you find it manageable considering the schools budget? Do you have money to "have fun" after paying your bills?
Yeah, a lot of students live alone. I believe one bedroom apartments around campus are generally in and around the price range of 700-790.

Here's an e-mail that was recently sent to all 1ls and 2ls:

Hello 1 & 2Ls,
I am moving out of my house on Friendship Circle (right off Polo Rd, half mile from the law school) in May (sad face). If you are interested in living here for June/ July and/ or next year let me know and we can discuss details.

Why I LOVE this house:

one-bedroom, two story stand-alone house on quiet residential street
dogs allowed (pet deposit)
hammock in yard
patio next to house
screened-in porch (amazing)
large yard (yard work taken care of for you)
less than 10 minute walk to school
set amongst large trees and beautiful flowers

rent is $700 a month + utilities (average ~$60/ month). I would be willing to subsidize the rent for june & july if necessary!

Let me know if you are interested!
///

Its probably about a ten minute drive from downtown.

Here's a pic:
--ImageRemoved--

Holy crap this is a big pic

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:02 pm

I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 story house with my wife.
Its got a basement, so technically 3 story I guess.

Its got a deck that overlooks the fenced in back yard (where my dog romps around).

1000/month. 1 mile from the school.

I've got some pics somewhere. I'll post them later if i find them/have the time.

We looked at two other smaller houses- 2 bedroom 1 stories. They were around 750 and 800.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:47 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Do any of you current students live alone? How much do you pay in rent and do you find it manageable considering the schools budget? Do you have money to "have fun" after paying your bills?
I live by myself (well, it's technically me and my dog) in a two bedroom condo. Rent is around $675. Utilities, cable, and internet usually run no more than $150 combined. I took out the maximum amount of loans for this year (after counting my scholarship) and have had plenty of "fun" money. I would still have plenty even I had taken out fewer loans. I spread my loan out over 12 months (instead of the nine month school year) and haven't really had any issues. The school definitely allocates enough for COL to get you through the year, so, to answer your question, it's definitely manageable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”