Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Post Reply
User avatar
sufjan

Bronze
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by sufjan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:12 pm

subscribing... will be at Wake in the fall, deposit in the mail... whoo!

User avatar
whenpigsfly

New
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:40 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by whenpigsfly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:27 pm

ejed09 wrote:Was wondering if a wake law school student could talk about the social scene. Are students at the school close nit or are there cliques. Do most students live together? If so, where is a good place to live as a 1L so your no too far away from campus/fellow students.
Yes, there is a social scene. I'd say generally each class is pretty close knit, but cliques have developed over time, as can be expected with a class size of around 150. It's not really catty though, just different groups of friends. Most students live with other law students, and normally match up with people during Wake's House Hunt in June. The Crowne Apartments are where a lot of students live their first year so that they are close to other students and the campus, but there are a number of other options, too.
ejed09 wrote:Also on a unrelated topic, how find employment prospects for either dc, nyc or boston? I know wake is really strong in NC, but do firms from the big cities also interview (for internships/ FT)?
There are a few firms and government agencies that interview during OCI. And, Wake has job jobs fairs in DC, NY, and New England as well. But for jobs out of NC you really can just mail stuff in directly/find opportunities on your own. Through mailings I had interview offers in Seattle, Boston, and Philadelphia (government stuff, as that's what I want to do, but still), so it can be done if you put the time in.
twintipping_bumps wrote:Do many students live in downtown Winston-Salem? The Nissen building seems like it might be decent.
I know a handful of my 2L classmates that live downtown and in the West End, but most didn't move down there until after their 1L year, probably because they wanted to live closer to campus/other law students initially. But the Nissen Building is super nice. The rooftop pool is pretty sweet.

PirateCap'n

Silver
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Does anyone have a link to webpage where the school suggests what you need in a laptop? I know WFU requires one, and I know I've seen this page before. However, I've been searching for two days and still can't find it. Also, does anyone happen to know if Windows 7 will be ok to use for exams this upcoming year?

koopa_troopa

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by koopa_troopa » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:16 pm

Any students familiar with the typical utility bill for a 1BR apartment in Winston-Salem - power and water?

tarheel87

Bronze
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by tarheel87 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Look up Wake on Autoadmit; seems like they get a ton of hate over there, any idea why?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
traehekat

Gold
Posts: 3188
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by traehekat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:46 pm

koopa_troopa wrote:Any students familiar with the typical utility bill for a 1BR apartment in Winston-Salem - power and water?
+1, especially in regards to the Crowne apartments.

User avatar
tstyler98

Bronze
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by tstyler98 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:18 am

traehekat wrote:
koopa_troopa wrote:Any students familiar with the typical utility bill for a 1BR apartment in Winston-Salem - power and water?
+1, especially in regards to the Crowne apartments.
I know whenpigsfly lives in a Crowne apartment, so hopefully she can shed some light.

User avatar
whenpigsfly

New
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:40 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by whenpigsfly » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:17 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
koopa_troopa wrote:Any students familiar with the typical utility bill for a 1BR apartment in Winston-Salem - power and water?
+1, especially in regards to the Crowne apartments.
I know whenpigsfly lives in a Crowne apartment, so hopefully she can shed some light.
I may not be the best to answer, because I am one of those people who have every light in the apartment on all the time. But on average, I'd say my utility bill is around 35-40 a month. Obviously more in the winter when I blast the heat, but you don't really need heat or AC 6+ months of the year. And re: water, I can't give you an estimate because the Crownes didn't have water meters. Unfortunately, they are putting them in over the summer (Boooo), but I can't even guess how much that bill will be. Sorry guys.

And for those not familiar with the area, we're in the heart of Time Warner Cable country, so whatever deals they are running can give you an idea of what your cable/internet/phone bill may be. Of course, DirectTV is an option too.

User avatar
tstyler98

Bronze
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by tstyler98 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:17 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
koopa_troopa wrote:Any students familiar with the typical utility bill for a 1BR apartment in Winston-Salem - power and water?
+1, especially in regards to the Crowne apartments.
I know whenpigsfly lives in a Crowne apartment, so hopefully she can shed some light.
I may not be the best to answer, because I am one of those people who have every light in the apartment on all the time. But on average, I'd say my utility bill is around 35-40 a month. Obviously more in the winter when I blast the heat, but you don't really need heat or AC 6+ months of the year. And re: water, I can't give you an estimate because the Crownes didn't have water meters. Unfortunately, they are putting them in over the summer (Boooo), but I can't even guess how much that bill will be. Sorry guys.

And for those not familiar with the area, we're in the heart of Time Warner Cable country, so whatever deals they are running can give you an idea of what your cable/internet/phone bill may be. Of course, DirectTV is an option too.
Thanks! That's even better than what I was paying for electric in the D.C. area. (Not that that should be a big surprise.) I try to turn lights off and keep my apartment on the warm side in the summer and cool side in the winter, but I was still paying on average about $70 a month.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
kalvano

Diamond
Posts: 11952
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by kalvano » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Good lord. I'd kill for a $70 electric bill. How big are these apartments?

User avatar
traehekat

Gold
Posts: 3188
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by traehekat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:15 pm

kalvano wrote:Good lord. I'd kill for a $70 electric bill. How big are these apartments?
--LinkRemoved--

They are enormous. 850 or 900 square feet for a 1 bedroom.

User avatar
kalvano

Diamond
Posts: 11952
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by kalvano » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Makes me feel better about the house I am going to have to rent. I'm used to a minimum of $200 - $250.
Last edited by kalvano on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sufjan

Bronze
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by sufjan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:31 pm

traehekat wrote:
kalvano wrote:Good lord. I'd kill for a $70 electric bill. How big are these apartments?
--LinkRemoved--

They are enormous. 850 or 900 square feet for a 1 bedroom.
wow. about the same size of the 2BR apt my wife and i currently rent. plus our electric bill is around 120-160

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
moandersen

Silver
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by moandersen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:39 pm

there are a few different crowne apartment complexes, is one better than another? my biggest concern with complexes are the thin walls, anyone with firsthand knowledge how how (not) thin they are?

would cragislist be a good way to find an apartment, or some place like apartmentfinder.com be better? thanks.

User avatar
traehekat

Gold
Posts: 3188
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by traehekat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:47 pm

moandersen wrote:there are a few different crowne apartment complexes, is one better than another? my biggest concern with complexes are the thin walls, anyone with firsthand knowledge how how (not) thin they are?
Also interested in this. I saw they differ in price a bit, too.

LiveFree

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by LiveFree » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:57 pm

Does anyone have an approximate cost of living (COL) for NC? Obviously this varies depending on where exactly one lives and how often he/she decides to go out and socialize - but can someone provide a ballpark figure?

User avatar
whenpigsfly

New
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:40 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by whenpigsfly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:50 pm

moandersen wrote:there are a few different crowne apartment complexes, is one better than another? my biggest concern with complexes are the thin walls, anyone with firsthand knowledge how how (not) thin they are?

would cragislist be a good way to find an apartment, or some place like apartmentfinder.com be better? thanks.
There isn't a big difference between them. Oaks is the oldest (5-6 years old or so) and Polo is the newest (2-3 years old). All have similar pools and workout rooms, but Oaks is the only one with a pool. Park is the biggest, and Oaks is the smallest. Oaks, Polo, and Park are all less than 5 minutes from campus, while Crowne Club is a good 20 minute drive away.

If you are planning on getting a one bedroom, the wall issue isn't too much of a problem, as there are next to no undergrads in the one bedroom buildings, and one bedroom apartments are located in buildings with exclusively other one bedrooms. I imagine if you live on a top floor, the noise really isn't an issue otherwise.

And I think the best way to apartment hunt is the House Hunt event in June. There are some shady complexes not too far away from the school, and you wouldn't be able to tell just looking at a website. In addition to the Crownes, a number of students live at The Corners, The Pines, The Trails, Alaris Village and the Nissen Building, all of which are less than 10 minutes from school. There are also a number of houses available for rent on and around campus, some of which are listed on the Wake website.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


User avatar
moandersen

Silver
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by moandersen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:54 am

whenpigsfly wrote:If you are planning on getting a one bedroom, the wall issue isn't too much of a problem, as there are next to no undergrads in the one bedroom buildings, and one bedroom apartments are located in buildings with exclusively other one bedrooms. I imagine if you live on a top floor, the noise really isn't an issue otherwise.
But what if you will be renting a 2 bedroom?

Thanks for all the helpful info!

User avatar
whenpigsfly

New
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:40 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by whenpigsfly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:00 pm

moandersen wrote:
whenpigsfly wrote:If you are planning on getting a one bedroom, the wall issue isn't too much of a problem, as there are next to no undergrads in the one bedroom buildings, and one bedroom apartments are located in buildings with exclusively other one bedrooms. I imagine if you live on a top floor, the noise really isn't an issue otherwise.
But what if you will be renting a 2 bedroom?

Thanks for all the helpful info!
Maybe on the weekends? Since I'm in a 1 bedroom, I don't have a good answer. But lishi's in a two bedroom at a Crowne, so maybe she can say something more useful than I can!

User avatar
kalvano

Diamond
Posts: 11952
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 pm

How much does a 2-bedroom rent for?

Because I saw houses for rent for around $1000 that looked pretty nice.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic

Silver
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:15 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:Does anyone have a link to webpage where the school suggests what you need in a laptop? I know WFU requires one, and I know I've seen this page before. However, I've been searching for two days and still can't find it. Also, does anyone happen to know if Windows 7 will be ok to use for exams this upcoming year?
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


exitlane

New
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by exitlane » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:31 pm

I am somewhat worried about securing housing in Winston-Salem. Currently, I do not own a car and can not really afford a trip to Wake Forest to search for an apartment/room. Need advice.

User avatar
traehekat

Gold
Posts: 3188
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by traehekat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:09 pm

exitlane wrote:I am somewhat worried about securing housing in Winston-Salem. Currently, I do not own a car and can not really afford a trip to Wake Forest to search for an apartment/room. Need advice.
Depending on your financial situation, the Crowne apartments seem to be a pretty safe bet. They look nice, close to campus, a lot of law students living there, people have already vouched for them, etc. Only thing is they are a little pricey by W-S standards.

exitlane

New
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by exitlane » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:20 pm

traehekat wrote:
exitlane wrote:I am somewhat worried about securing housing in Winston-Salem. Currently, I do not own a car and can not really afford a trip to Wake Forest to search for an apartment/room. Need advice.
Depending on your financial situation, the Crowne apartments seem to be a pretty safe bet. They look nice, close to campus, a lot of law students living there, people have already vouched for them, etc. Only thing is they are a little pricey by W-S standards.
They seem great, yet I would prefer to share an apt rather than have a single.

User avatar
traehekat

Gold
Posts: 3188
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Wake Law Students taking Questions!!!

Post by traehekat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:34 pm

exitlane wrote:
traehekat wrote:
exitlane wrote:I am somewhat worried about securing housing in Winston-Salem. Currently, I do not own a car and can not really afford a trip to Wake Forest to search for an apartment/room. Need advice.
Depending on your financial situation, the Crowne apartments seem to be a pretty safe bet. They look nice, close to campus, a lot of law students living there, people have already vouched for them, etc. Only thing is they are a little pricey by W-S standards.
They seem great, yet I would prefer to share an apt rather than have a single.
They have two bedrooms, no? Although, there are more undergraduates in those buildings, so it could be louder. Plus, it may be a little tougher finding a roommate without visiting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”